Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    Lot's of hilarity here. So before anyone thinks I'm anti Lexus
    that new S class looks like they hired Todd Bridges to steal the fenders off a Mazda RX8 and glue them on the new Benz.
    Nice to see Todd's getting some work outside of Hollywood. Nice work T, stay off the crack pipe.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    new S class looks like they hired Todd Bridges to steal the fenders off a Mazda RX8 and glue them on the new Benz.

It was funny a day or so ago when one of the german car fanatics said the fenders on the new S would be "copied" by others in the industry. As if prominent fenders were some sort of MB innovation, hahaha!
  • Bottom line, Lexus is superior to BMW or Mercedes, regardless of price. This simply cannot be objectively denied. It should have its own class (supercar) above the other two. There is really no comparison. Any rational person could see and understand this. Period.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Oac, Ljflx… did you guys call in the Lexican National Guard?

;-)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    How can a Toyota with all the mediocrity that name implies be considered superior to BMW or Mercedes?
    The Lexicans have fallen for the biggest dupe in marketing:
    Rebadging a Toyota and calling it something else to pretend it's now a "Luxury Vehicle."

Gimmee a break!
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    "Lower priced luxury cars like the LS do sell at greater volume than higher priced cars like the MB S. "

Why bother with these lame reasons? We've all been thru this before a million times. The reason the LS sells in greater numbers to the S-class is always because of lower price! Yet, none of the LS detractors can seem to explain how similarly priced competition(ES vs. C-class or RX vs. ML320) can work in Lexus' favor also? I mean if the LS sells in greater volume because of it's price advantage, shouldn't the entry level C-class Benz be outselling the ES330? Or shouldn't the similarly priced MB ML be clobbering the RX??? Yet, the similarly priced RX turns the ML into cow manure!

Also, if the above statement were true, how can one explain the abysmal sales of the Infiniti Q45 or Jaguar XJ? If sales were largely dependant on price, the Q should be smashing sales records!
    Rebadging a Toyota and calling it something else to pretend it's now a "Luxury Vehicle."

Please educate me on why a 750 is more of a "Luxury Vehicle" than a LS.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Performance, perhaps not, but the BMW 7 series is one of the LEAST luxurious cars in the HELM segment. Both the A8 and the new S blow it out of the water in that respect. It doesnt even have the best performance in the segment, either. The Quattroporte has better performance, and is much more luxurious. "The Ultimate Also-ran".
  • Sorry, but it is you who has fallen for the hype that less is somehow more. I fell for the hype back in 1985 and bought a new BMW 325. How did I like it? Well yesterday I was figuring up all the cars I had bought over the years and got up to 41. Today I remembered #42. You guessed it. The '85 Bimmer!!
    As a digression, I too have to admit that the best cars I ever had were my 1993 and 2002 325i's.
    Pure luxury does nothing for me if the performance characteristics are lacking.
    Don’t bristle or respond to this latest bag of bluster. They’ll never get it. Never.
    Say what you will. The simple fact is the BMW 760Li will most likely run rings around the Toyota LS460 pseudo-luxo-barge.
    How can so many people be so wrong about so little?

Designman is unfortunately correct:
    The Lexicans will never get it.

A simple prescription:
    Drive the BMW 760Li for yourselves instead of just regurgitating stuff you read somewhere, like I took the time to drive your incredibly over-rated LS 430.
    Then come back here and we'll talk.
    Designman is unfortunately correct:
    The Lexicans will never get it.

Never get what? That "driving dynamics" are only thing that matter in a High End Luxury Sedan? Uhhh...if that's the case in your eyes, then as Lexusguy suggested, why are you raving about the 7 and not the Quattroporte?

As far as your comparison of the 760 to the LS460, please remember that we know next to nothing about the LS600h.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Hey, Merc1 doesn't even own a Mercedes but his posts about Mercedes and the other HELM's are always among the most articulate and penetrating on this thread.
    Just because I drive a 545i doesn't exclude me from posting here despite what you think.
    Since when is what someone drives a prerequisite to posting on the HELM board?

How did you come into this conclusion, Howard ? Just when I thought we were becoming friends, now you just blow it all out of proportion. I simply quoted you that you don't care much for luxury, you said as much yourself, right. So why beat on me for echoing your words ? And being a fan of Merc1 doesn't mean I have to be as well....

Let's be honest. The LS is nothing more than an over-priced Toyota and Toyota has done you Lexicans a favor by making the Camry and LS almost indistinguishable in style to help remind you of this fact.

An overpriced Toyota, eh ? Good one. But I thought you wanted to give the car a spin, No ? Now it appears you are bitter against it, slaming it. Won't be the first time a German fan has called all Lexus vehicles as over-priced Toyota.... Now Lexus (ehm, overpriced Toyota) is the #1 selling luxury nameplate in America. Good for them...

From here on in, I will always refer to this car as what it really is: the 2007 Toyota LS 460.

You'll be in a single digit minority on that one.
    The Quattroporte is considerably more money and its drive train goes out of the luxury realm with sport, from the high-revving engine to the sequential gearbox. The reviews knocked it for city driving. It’s a tuner barge. Furthermore, service access is limited, extremely limited. So the 7-Series/Quattroporte comparisons aren’t very convincing.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    "The Lexicans have fallen for the biggest dupe in marketing:
    Rebadging a Toyota and calling it something else to pretend it's now a "Luxury Vehicle." "

Yet, you *supposedly* went out and almost bought a GS430!

The Lexicans have fallen for the biggest dupe, or the europhiles have fallen for the biggest dupe? Huh...questions, questions.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    When is the S class being launched in the US?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Actually he thought it was a great car and wanted it badly. But he's just toying around and having fun with these posts now, don't take them seriously.
    I remember when he was cross-shopping. He got caught in the Lexican frenzy until he drove the GS… whoa... pop went the balloon, end of show… it ain’t no BMW. Hence he bought the 545.