Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    How bout we take the 3-series off of BMW and see how things look. Very silly argument that doesn't hold water and actually exposes stupid management decisions by the Germans to miss the biggest growth segment in automotive history.

Oh wait, those are just "poseur-mobiles", as someone said before. (previous post)... so I shouldn't have even counted those in the first place...
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I was only kidding about Bush and Chavez. Isn't that what the ;) meant?

I really did try and like the GS 430 but it didn't meet my expectations. As a matter of fact, I stated that the GS300 handled better but I wanted a more powerful engine.

True: I did get the 545 for less than the GS430 (about $25 a month less) and I did say the BMW comfort seat was better than the GS' drivers' seat, but if the GS outhandled the 545, knowing me, I would have shelled out for the GS.
    The way a car drives is still #1 with me and $25 a month is almost insignificant to me.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    "...actually exposes stupid management decisions by the Germans to miss the biggest growth segment in automotive history."

Actually, MB, Porsche, Audi and BMW are desperately trying to catch up to the market. From the X3/X5, Cayenne/Touareg, to the GL, followed by the Q7, and then a me-too R-class clone from BMW. Pretty soon, all the Germans would be band-wagonning on SUVs and minivans..... What would die-hard, car enthusiasts then think of their fav German brand ???
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    You had to make me go look. Now I feel like an attorney on "Close to Home".

2390 of 2808 Re: No GS 430 for me [maxhonda99] by hpowders Jun 06, 2005 (3:37 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: maxhonda99 (Jun 06, 2005 2:47 pm)

Thanks for putting some sanity into all this. I'm not a reckless driver and I do mostly highway driving so hopefully I can get more than 15k out of those tires.
    I just got another nice lease offer and I do believe I will take them up on it.
    I love the GS430.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Manipulating numbers doesn't compare apples to apples. A fairer comparison is certainly a comparison that either includes ALL vehices by manufacturers in a specific market, or CERTAIN vehicles in a specific market, but NOT ALL vehicles against CERTAIN vehicles. Further, these numbers can be manipulated to paint very different results. Imagine Ford's numbers without the F-Series trucks. Certainly different.
    The problem initially was that I asked the dealer for a GS430 test drive but he mistakenly gave me the GS300 and my impression was a positive one so I wrote a positive review on the car. I thought it was the 430 but contradictory posts soon followed after that because I drove the REAL GS430 several times after that and definitely posted that I had serious issues with the steering and brakes.
    I maintain to this day that the GS300 is a better car than the GS430. If only it had more power.

Honest mistake: the dealer slipped me a GS300, not a GS430! He probably didn't have a 430 at that time for me to drive.
    Definitely not mea culpa!
    I am a victim of circumstance and I will not retract my nomination to the US Supreme Court. ;)
    I love the GS430.

hpowders,
    Looks like you've been pinned! ljflx has most definately nailed you. Just admit you suffered from temporary insanity already, and that was your frame of mind at that moment in time. The bigger question is ... have you recovered? ;)
    TagMan
    See the post directly above yours. Wasn't my fault. I never loved the REAL GS430!
    really? You said you LOVED something.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    There is a procedure from Automobile magazine that lets the driver turn off VSC in a GS, explained here. Maybe you bimmaniacs can try it out the next time you take a GS for a test drive.

Road test coordinator Marc Noordeloos performed the complicated procedure, took a test drive, and, while grinning from ear to ear, pronounced the car transformed.

Someday there might be a simple switch so that the "driving dynamics" crowd can simply turn the thing off.
    I liked the GS300 quite a bit. Handled decently. Good brakes and steering. Problem was I thought it was the GS430.
    I drove the real GS430 two times after that and I knew the first car obviously wasn't the 430.
    I then asked to drive the GS300 and sure enough I realized the first dealer slipped me a GS300.
    I guess on seeing my disheveled appearance (hot Florida day), the first dealer could have assumed the 430 was out of my league.
    That would be a welcome addition. I'm sure Lexus is well aware of the criticism.
    I understand all that, but ljflx has raised an interesting point here. Whatever you might have THOUGHT it was, you nonetheless LOVED it (apparently the GS300 !).
    In all honesty how on earth can a performance oriented car driver not tell the difference between the two cars. It takes all of about 10 seconds of driving. I know - I drove both.

Now you are really looking bad. This wasn't your only indication of love or desire for the car - so take tagmans advice. Plus you were getting ready to pay GS430 prices for a GS3??
    There is a procedure from Automobile magazine that lets the driver turn off VSC in a GS

Useless procedure, given that generally only "Lexus" drivers will be behind the wheel of a Lexus anyway. In fact, disabling the VSC could endanger a "Lexus" driver's life! Attention Lexus drivers . . . NEVER try this at home...this procedure to be performed by professional BMW drivers only.

(OK, just kidding . . . don't get like oac and have a stroke)

:D
    TagMan
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Yes, yes, bimmanics are superior human beings.
    Syswei - they don't even know which cars they are driving.
    I thought the GS300 was a better car to drive than the GS430 and the LS430.
    It needs a better driver's seat and a bigger engine.
    Of course not. I drove 2 GS430's after the GS300.
    The dealer made me the offer after driving the second GS430, but I had issues with the brakes, steering and driver's seat.
    It was a good offer but since I didn't jump at it, how in love with the GS430 could I have been?
    If I did love the car, the dealer never would have made me that offer in the first place.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    OK, just kidding . . . don't get like oac and have a stroke

I know you were kidding, but why use me as the poster child for Lexus ? And I will let you know that I love sporty cars, for now, family needs dictate my car needs. Once the kids are off to College, I plan on something a lot more fun. I have said that repeatedly on this forum.