Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Offered. The 2JZ-GTE Supra\SC\IS\GS motor has finally been put to rest with the new IS. Also, Jaguar used to have some wonderful I6 engines. In 2006 though, BMW is pretty much the last one, everybody else uses V6s or flat 6s now. I6s are just not space efficient.
  • lexusilexusi Posts: 65
    there is far more casio watches than rolex!! but you can not compare things in this way, compare in the same segment, Tissot is not in the same league as the omega, and dont forget the material, diamonds and so, its not ABC its complicated, but Lexus do sells more than MB thats for sure, is it better becoz it sells more, no i disagree but yes it better becoz it has better quality, features and so, in other words, if you are measuring how succeful a car is by its sales, then MB is better than Lexus is europe!! no, things wont go this way, the sales are adjuvant to the other things the car has, thats what makes a good car not only sales, but sales show how succeful it is.

back to the story of who is cheaper, do u think that a lexus buyer can not buy a MB or BMW? i bought a lexus not becoz i dont have the money to buy others, becoz i liked the car, and one more important point here, why do MB sells lesser cars for a higher price!! isnt that cheating? why do lexus offers far more options for lesser price, lexus quality is better, engineering is better, options is better, and far more reliable? so whats with the germans?

iam not saying MB, BMW are bad, but lexus is much better :) at least IMHO, and back to the same thing, ppl are different, that why both lexus, MB are selling good, not becoz lexus sells cheaper cars, hmm what about cadillac or infiniti both have lesser prices? do they sell more?? NO, why? becoz Lexus is the BEST in IMHO

Lexusization of the WORLD

Lexusi
  • martianmartian Posts: 220
    I mean, we don't see them i the USA-but surely Peugeot, Renault, Citroen must market lines of luxury cars-what are they? Does Citroen still make limousines for the President of France? Or do French bigwigs drive Mercedes? (sacre bleu!)?
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    As to I6 engines, what makes u conclude as such ? Pls speak for yourself, don't rope me into the "I have no expertise" excuse....

In that case let me repeat my question to you: What i6 compares to the current BMW i6 engines? And please dont give me a history course about the outdated IS300 engines. The current BMW i6 is very unique! I just wanted to inform you, that's all.

Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately, this is NOT a sport sedan forum, so what do we make of your past & present contributions ???

This forum is about viewpoints on HELMs and has nothing to do with my motives and intentions for being here. As a LPS fan I am here for a logical reason but I dont have to disclose my reasons to you or anyone.(Hint: auto buying decisions also involve spouses).
    I6s are just not space efficient.

Yeah that is one disadvantage. But you forgot to mention the advantages of i6 engines. I6 engies are more effient and smoother than v6s. That counts for something, dont you think?
    Question to Lexicans:

If the LS430 is close to being as good as an MB S or a BMW 7 series, then why are LS sales so crappy in Japan itself? Could it be because the Japanese are not crazy about LS cars that resembles the ideal concept of what a 21st Buick should be like! Is it not that the LS is a soft American definition of what a luxury car should be? Unfortunately the LS does not fulfill the worldwide definition of what a luxury car should be! The MB S and BMW 7 series does fulfill that defintion bang on!!
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    If you go back to the original C&D comparo, you will see there was a mild disclaimer that C&D doesn't usually review vehicles such as the LS430.
    I wonder what they meant by that?
    Perhaps, that they aren't interested in vehicles that make them bored and comatose?
    Simple. Just dial 1-800-MERC-1.
    Then:
    For Mercedes, press one
    For BMW, press two
    For Lexus, press zero to disconnect.
    Well, according to sales going forward, BMW is enjoying the greatest success in their history.
    How does that make BMW "yesterday's news?"
    You can't just make an unsupported statement and that means it will happen.
    You may be watching too many Twilight Zone Marathons, boss!
    Why don't you drive the new 760Li (which starts at $118,900) and find out for yourself just like I have driven the LS 430 in order to express some semblance of an educated opinion based on familiarity with the vehicle?
    mean, we don't see them i the USA-but surely Peugeot, Renault, Citroen must market lines of luxury cars-what are they?

I cant think of any French car that can be considered HELM material? Although I have driven some exciting non-luxury Citroens and Peugots in Europe.
    You are quite welcome!
    Always eager to help a rational thinker! :)
    iam not saying MB, BMW are bad, but lexus is much better at least IMHO

I am glad you clarified your statement with the initials IMHO.
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    I pretty much know exactly what I see in photos, can parse the jump from 3D to 2D and can judge the technical details involved—size, proportion, dimension, scale etc. What I am saying is, according to what I see in the photos, I know almost exactly what I am going to see and the ambience I am going too feel when I sit in that driver’s seat. I am in no way speculating in this regard. Now, others may need to do it live but trust me, I don’t. 99% of the time I know what I am going to see live. You will rarely if ever hear me say it looked one way in the photos and another way live. For all intent and purpose, I HAVE sat in the front seat of the LS460.

Wow. We need you to work for the CIA or NSA doing photo analysis - then we could catch Osama. And Jack Bauer needs you to prove he is being framed for the murder of ex-President Palmer [sorry, "24" is on while I'm writing this]. ;)

At least you admit that you could be wrong 1% of the time. Perhaps this is one of those rare occasions... "Rarely wrong, but never in doubt." :P
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    If the LS430 is close to being as good as an MB S or a BMW 7 series, then why are LS sales so crappy in Japan itself?

Dewey:
    I don't believe that comparison is particularly valid. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that social status and standing are even more important in Japan than in the states. Perception is also very important. As Lexus has not truly existed as a separate Marque, the equivalent in the states would be something like Chrysler, Ford, or Chevrolet branding.

In addition, in many countries (particularly the states, and I suspect Japan as well), imports have a certain cachet lacking in domestics. An analogy that comes readily to mind is beer (some insight into my personal life, there). One of my favorite beers is Newcastle Brown Ale. My sister (who has lived in the UK for several years) and her husband (a lifelong Brit) chuckle when they see me drinking one, because it is like drinking Pabst over there. On the flip side, they say that Bud Light is a popular, trendy beer over there. Go figure.

Edit: If you have the sales numbers of Lexus Japan since September, I'm guessing most here would like to see them.
    Just saw this:
    European sales

I thought some might be interested.
    I found some numbers for MB, BMW, and Toyota (the Lexus equivalents) from an article one year ago (it doesn't give the specific year, only an average).

Japan Luxo Sales

In short, MB sell 45k, BMW 35K, and "Lexus" 50K. Interesting to note that 10% of MB sales are S and SL, and 7% of BMW are 7s--much higher than European ratios.
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    If it was 7 years ago I would give a 'no' to all three brands. Lincoln and Chrysler still are outside the corral.

Cadillac seems to be serious about making excellent cars after spending much of the 1980s/1990 in the wilderness.

The new XLR, DTS, STS and CTS Cadillacs compare well with models from the other brands discussed here. Solid car sales increases over the last 5-6 years indicate these cars are well received. Car sales were up again in 2006 by 13.4%.

The Escalade is now a force to be reckoned with. The new 07 model has moved way up the scale.
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    MB just completed their 12th consecutive year of increased sales in the USA. BMW has a stellar track record too.

The success of Lexus doesn't mean BMW/MB are out of the picture.

I will grant that Jaguar's future is cloudy. Audi will continue to be eclipsed by reliability issues and the high visiblity of the BMW/MB brands.