Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    well anyway here are the 5-year numbers, for CARS ONLY, as the germancarfans prefer:

BMW 2000: 135,983... 2005: 197,833 up 45%
    MB 2000: 152,850... 2005: 183,169 up 20%
    Lexus 2000: 101,441... 2005: 151,226 up 49%

Any questions?
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    well anyway here are the 5-year numbers, for CARS ONLY, as the germancarfans prefer:

Great stats, shows the Germans are holding their own and growing. And long term stats of 10 years indicates the German marques were superior.

Thanks for pointing that out.
    You're spinning in a very German way.

What the 5 year numbers show is that BMW is indeed "holding its own" vs Lexus, in cars. But does 20% unit growth for MB, when BMW and Lexus grew 45% and 49% (in cars), mean MB is "holding its own"? Do you think the MB USA execs are patting themselves on the back for that?

long term stats of 10 years indicates the German marques were superior.

The 10 year stats indicate that the Germans outgrew Lexus IN CARS in that timespan. When combined with the 5 year numbers, the 10 year numbers show that the best "car growth" period for BMW and MB, relative to Lexus, was 1995-2000, NOT 2000-2005. In car terms, isn't 1995-2000 kind of "ancient history"?
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    The scary thing for MB is the relative rate of growth.

Cars only:

MB: 95-2000=99%, 2000-2005=20%
    BMW: 95-2000=46%, 2000-2005=45%
    Lexus: 95-2000=28%, 2000-2005=49%

As you can see, you can make the numbers say whatever you want them to say.
    Oh really so 10 years is ancient history and 5 years is contemporary modern history. Thanks for providing that distinction.

This whole 5 years versus 10 years versus 3 years versus annaul versus quarterly versus monthly becomes kind of tedious. What you are doing is called data mining(selectively picking certain periods to support your arguments). The key thing is both MB and BMW are growing quite well whatever period you select!

Yes I said MB and that was not a typo error. MB is doing fantastic relative to the horrific destruction that was inflicted on the company by the former CEO Juergen Schremp. Your statistics reflects the "Juergen Schremp curse", but now with Zetsche in the helm it will be full throttle ahead for the Benz marque. I cant wait until 2008 when we can discsuss how well MB stats are(oops, in that case I will be doing data mining)
    If I had checked all 10 years of available data, and then picked the years that made Lexus look best, THAT would have been data mining.

But I didn't do it that way. I picked 1995 as a starting point because it was the earliest data I could find. (If anyone can find earler data, I'd be interested in seeing it.) And since it was 10 years ago, I picked 2000 as another logical point to look at (duh, because it was 5 years ago, halfway in time). In fact, when I found the 1995 data it was clear to me that using 2005 vs 1996 (instead of 1995) would have made Lexus look FAR better (9 year growth rate rather than 10 year), but I expressly didn't do that. Check the 2005 vs 1996 numbers yourself if you want to see what I mean.
    The scary thing for MB is the relative rate of growth.

Yes, another way to put it is that they seem to have a second derivative problem. Rate of growth seems to be decelerating.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Can we find any significance between growth rate and price? Looks like growth rate is inversely proportional to price. Is the less expensive brand of cars here more inclined to grow?
    Yes, another way to put it is that they seem to have a second derivative problem. Rate of growth seems to be decelerating.

Growth is growth whether it is accelerating or decelerating. Are you saying what decelerates cannot accelerate in the future? Are you saying MB is doomed? Scary indeed, BOOO !
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    MB is doing fantastic relative to the horrific destruction that was inflicted on the company by the former CEO Juergen Schremp.

Dewey, what the heck kind of analysis is this? BMW is definitely doing very well, but to say MB is doing "quite well" - let alone "fantastic" - while it is losing ground to BMW and Lexus, is more than just selective "data mining".

And it's nice to know that all of Mercedes' problems can be traced to just one person. :confuse:

I don't think even the great and mighty Merc1 can save you in light of this bizarre posting. ;)
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Some people like to count only cars, for reasons I just can't fathom...other than the reason that it makes German brands look better.

The reason why some Germancarfan asked for just the 5-year car numbers was because some Lexicon said that the reason BMW has increased its sales over the last 5 years was because they added SUVs.

When you're talking about total units sold, you can't say you must include SUVs, then turn around and discredit BMW's growth because they introduced SUVs. How hypocritical... You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
    The reality is that the four Toyota sedan models (equivalent to IS, GS, LS and SC) outsold all MB and BMW models even when they were marketted as Toyota's!

When you say equivalent to Lexus IS did you include the Toyota Corolla? Where did you get your figures from? Bloomberg was quite concise in defining luxury as being over 3.5 million yen?

Also where did you see that ad with the 100K $ discount for the Maybach? I find it kind of ludicrous that Maybach would sell their cars so publicly at such a huge discounts like a baker who sells stale bagels at a discount. Talk about snob appeal!
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    The reality is that the four Toyota sedan models (equivalent to IS, GS, LS and SC) outsold all MB and BMW models even when they were marketted as Toyota's!

Now we're comparing Corollas and Camrys to luxury cars? Huh?
    Growth is growth whether it is accelerating or decelerating. Are you saying what decelerates cannot accelerate in the future? Are you saying MB is doomed?

No, I'm not an MB doom and gloom theorist. But I do think they have failed in recent years (relative to their arch-competitors in the US) to "deliver the goods" in terms of meeting customer desires. I actually think the RELATIVE growth rates for them are apt to improve, because I actually do think they have made SOME and will continue to make SOME progress on the reliability front.

As far as "Growth is growth whether it is accelerating or decelerating"...I thought you were in the securities business? Would you rather have own a company that was growing at a 15% cagr in the past, but more recently is down to 4%, or would you rather have a company that was growing at a 5% cagr in the past, and is now up to 8%. Is a 8% grower better than a 4% grower? Is acceleration not prefered over deceleration?
    As far as "Growth is growth whether it is accelerating or decelerating"...I thought you were in the securities business?

When you use the words scary I have difficulty associating those words with any kind of growth. Even in the investment business I associate the words scary with failure and negative growth. No, MB is not in a scary situation.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    "Some people like to count only cars, for reasons I just can't fathom...other than the reason that it makes German brands look better."

You had already posted the overall numbers, so no reason to post them again. I wanted to see car information because I'm interested in industry trends in that segment, and posted it for those that care. Just because the numbers favor one brand over another, don't assume that there is a hidden agenda. If anything, to the extent that I have a bias, it is against German brands.

So... is it forbidden to post trends about cars? Didn't know that it was the law of the land that you can only post overall sales, and not breakdowns.
    "How hypocritical" ???

I started posting total vehicle numbers, and still maintain that that is the most rational way to look at things. Yet when the German side responds by talking about car-only numbers, I'm not allowed to talk the same way without being called hypocritical?
    Look, we can cut the market any way we want. Some people here like to look JUST AT CARS, maybe because they feel that cars are the most important, for whatever reason. We could equally look JUST AT THE HEL SEDANS, under the theory that these are the flagships, and that the midrange and low end just aren't as important. Who would be winning then?

So, germancarfans, every time you say we ought to focus just on cars, why don't I say that as long as we're being exclusionary, why not focus just on HEL Sedans?

NO. The most rational way of looking at this, imho, is the inclusive way. Total vehicles.
    I didn't use the word scary. You did. Go check the posts.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    "The most rational way of looking at this, imho, is the inclusive way. Total vehicles."

Most rational way of looking at what?

If you're interested in the relative performance of brands, you look at overall numbers.

If you're interested in the relative performance of cars, you look at car numbers.

If you're interested in the relative performance of SUVs, you look at SUV numbers.

If you're interested in the relative performance of high end cars, you look at HEL numbers.

I don't agree with the notion that the focus should ONLY be on cars, but I don't agree with the notion that the focus should ONLY be on overall sales either.