Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Japanese collector cars are currently few and far between. The only ones really right now are the original Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruisers, and of course the Toyota 2000GT sports car.

The S8 and S65 are nice cars, but not collector cars. They certainly arent something you should buy as an investment. I also shudder to think how expensive it would be to try and maintain a 30 or 40 year old Audi MMI or Mercedes COMAND system.
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    IMO if Toyota sent the Century to the USA it would find a ready market.

I suppose that won't happen.
    "Ford seems to be serious about giving Lincoln some actual cars to sell besides the age/livery cast Town Car. The MKS seems like a step in the right direction as is the MKX crossover."

Really? I didnt get that impression at all. First of all, the nonsensical, last minute change from Aviator and Continental to "MKS" and "MKX" is probably one of the dumbest things they could possibly do. The MKX is entirely a bandwagon vehicle that is 10 years to late, and has absolutely nothing to set it apart from the competition, nor does it look anything like a Lincoln. Its some kind of hodge-podge rip-off of 18 other crossovers currently on sale. Its actually less interesting than the Ford Freestyle, I didnt think that was possible.

The MKS is actually worse, I think. Its like a GS430, minus all of the styling excitement. They took this:

And ended up with this. Talk about a step backwards.

• sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I think the styling looks way too dated.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    . I also shudder to think how expensive it would be to try and maintain a 30 or 40 year old Audi MMI or Mercedes COMAND system.

The same goes for all of these high-tech luxury cars 30-40 years from now. None of them are going to be cheap and/or going to last that long without some major money being spent to keep them going.

About Lincoln, I just got the feeling that Ford is at least trying to breathe some life into Lincoln. People seemed to be impressed with both the MKS and MKS. The MKS is the direct kin of the new Volvo S80 for sure. I had figured Ford would give up on Lincoln but they aren't. Will they topple Cadillac or compete with the brands we talk about here? Heck no. I agree the name change was dumb. Aviator sounds so much better MKX (Mark X) to me, but to Lincoln fans it may resonate. Though I know nothing about a last minute change from Continental to MKS. The Continental name is kinda tired for Lincoln and maybe a fresh start is what is needed. The MKS really isn't a bad car and certainly can't hurt Lincoln.

M
    I forgot to mention Volvo in my first posts about the Detroit autoshow. The new C70 is just the neatest car. It looks good top-up and top-down. Typical comfortable and logical Volvo interior and a unique style, the C70 is a winner for sure. I'd like to see 300hp "R" version.

M
    I suppose thats true, the MKS really cant do any damage. Its just that if they expect to target the STS with it, they're fooling themselves.
    I agree. I don't think they're going after the STS. I think they're trying to carve out a unique niche as the American luxury car brand that isn't trying to be European. Lincoln's glitzy interiors kinda already say that IMO. Ford doesn't have the money to spend on Lincoln to even get them close to Cadillac at this point.

M
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    IMO if Toyota sent the Century to the USA it would find a ready market.

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, would buy that thing over here. It's ugly as sin and has ZERO style or image to it. People with the wherewithal to spend that kind of money on a car don't do it "just because." They do it because of the image and style that a car of that price should convey in addition to the luxury of it.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I actually like the latter picture better, but those taillights are a bit odd.
  • lexusilexusi Posts: 65
    Very nice and well said report, thanx for ur efforts :)
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,664
    Deep under all that Mercedes love there is a very objective car guy. I've said that before in different words but I'll say it again. Excellent report.

The LS excitement bears out my feelings that this car is going to be a smash. I'm curious to see the S in person to see if I agree on the wheel arches. One thing for sure September and later big lux sedan sales will be heavily dominated by Lexus and MB.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Maybe Japanese taste in cars is different than American taste in cars..... but I personally think that car is ugly, inside and out. And that has nothing to do with arguing German vs. Japanese. I just think the car looks like a mid-80s Dodge/Chrysler. Just not what I'd expect for top-of-the-line luxury. IMO, base model Lexus here in the USA look better than that, inside and out.
    No, the Century is just a very dated looking car, I think thats universal. The Crown Majesta is a modern luxury car, more attractive than the current LS430, actually.

No, the Century is just a very dated looking car, I think thats universal. The Crown Majesta is a modern luxury car, more attractive than the current LS430, actually.

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,664
    I wonder if the Crown Majesta should have been the GS. It would have done more damage to an E-class than current GS will do to a 5-series IMO. Maybe also it's a version Lexus brings here instead of the lesser powered LS Merc mentioned.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    merc1,

I finally got a chance to read your posts. Some of these other "old-timers" are more familiar with you than I am . . . so, I must say that you continue to amaze me as I read more of your writings over time. It is truly a pleasure. From a personal standpoint, I was awaiting your feedback most of all for the GL, the S-Class, and the LS460 (and L). . . but I enjoyed every word of your report. Again, a little later than some of the others, but my first opportunity to say a well-deserved "THANKS" to you. And . . . welcome back!

TagMan
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    merc1,

I finally got a chance to read your posts. Some of these other "old-timers" are more familiar with you than I am . . . so, I must say that you continue to amaze me as I read more of your writings over time. It is truly a pleasure. From a personal standpoint, I was awaiting your feedback most of all for the GL, the S-Class, and the LS460 (and L). . . but I enjoyed every word of your report. Again, a little later than some of the others, but my first opportunity to say a well-deserved "THANKS" to you. And . . . welcome back!

TagMan
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    I think the styling looks way too dated.

Dated? Geez, next you'll be telling me that my Aries K looks dated. ;)
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    The many quality posts this week in various discussions (HELMs and others) have reminded me again why I enjoy this site so much.

All the first hand reports, article links, thoughtful comments, insights and predictions have been great.

Edmund's is one of the best resources I know for automotive info, both subjective and objective.