Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• The Escalade is the only cadillac product that generally ends up being sold for more than $50K, so I agree.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    The base price was the critiera, not the fully optioned out price. And I would go on to say the base model (for example the base Deville) sets the base price. Thus for Mercedes, the S class qualifies while the E class does not.

So, lets try to get this discussion back on track.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    "I fail to see why Cadillac is a topic of discussion here."

True, the CTS definately isn't high end, and neither is the DTS or STS. And as far as the XLR goes, it will be high end, but this is a "sedans" topic. Someone should create a convertible high end topic and rant all about how the XLR will squash the competition.

This topic should be discussing the LS430, A8, 745i, S-class, XJ8, and I know I'm probably missing a couple of other cars.
  • The VW Phaeton!
  • brtmdbrtmd Posts: 54
    Re # 1892: Your thoughts on "weaning" are probably true for some. It was just the opposite for me; I was weaned on Mercedes and ended up choosing the LS over the S and 7. When the time comes again to choose a new vehicle, I will probably be looking at the same "good brands". Perhaps by then MB will have their reliability back where I feel it should be.
    Maybe the Phaeton will make my shopping list next time around.
  • Well, I look at it like this way - Mercedes-Benz is the brand I want to own when I am a rich person. Granted I do have a 190E now, but that's not a new Benz.

If I am anything less than rich, I want a car that is a safer, more affordable investment to begin with and Mercedes is not that. But if money is no object, neither are repair bills.
  • brtmdbrtmd Posts: 54
    magnetophone: I understand what you are saying. But for me, repair bills and affordability were not the issue in my decision. My "happiness" and time are more valuable to me than my money--in all situations. Dealing with a variety of irksome problems became annoying and competed with my enjoyment of the vehicle. So far I have had nothing but enjoyment from my Lexus, and zero problems; I couldn't even imagine that was possible a few months ago. BTW, many people are rich in part because they refuse to say "money is no object".
  • "BTW, many people are rich in part because they refuse to say "money is no object"."

Amen to that. It is the people that say "money is no object" that fulfill the fool part of the saying "A fool and his money are soon parted".
  • I just browsed through the BMW movies. They do a great job defining the image they want to project..top level performance. I could never imagine Lexus going for an ad campaign like that, even though they could probably get a pro driver to mimic most of the same actions. I guess I see these two as the alpha and omega of the group as far as the comfort/performance spectrum. I think it would be hard for anyone who "feels right" in one of these to be really comfortable owning the other.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I hardly agree with that. The CTS' interior isn't on par with the 3-Series, not at all. The CTS needs more wood or none at all. That coating on the top of the dash feels terrible. The E500 is definitely "high-end" going by that 49.9K threshold.

M
    The nearest BMW/Mercedes/etc dealers are on the order of 500 miles from here, so I am not able to look. However, the base 3 series does not have any wood trim I think. The E500 is not a base model - the E320 is the base. I consider the E-series a model, the varients are simply trim levels. The BMW 3xx is a model, the various xx varients are trim levels.
  • No matter how you look at it, the E Class should qualify. It's pricing is advertised as from $48K, but in reality even ones with minimal options begin at $52K. Most new E's at dealers will at least have the E1 and E2 package as "standard" making the price of entry $52K+. Then if you add on any options like CD, DVD Nav, Multi Contour Seats, Metallic Paint, etc. the price could go north of $60K quick! The E320 is solidly a $52K-$60K car and the E500 is $58K-$66K.
    In that case, Cadillacs are also high end luxury cars too. Read what the orginator had to say in post #1.
    To my way of thinking, Rolls Royce/Bentley define what is meant by "high end luxury". Rolls has been "high end" for decades, certainly since World War II. Mercedes is trying to bring back the Maybach and get into this market. Perhaps we should have a serious discussion of what we are talking about here.
  • sosaksosak Posts: 5
    Does anyone know where I can get used parts for a '97 740iL. I am looking for Left Fog Light Lens or unit and an arm rest, on the driver side that my snap broke, to open and close. Any sites that I can look up? (USED) Thanks....
    Have you tried eBay? there are 99 bmw fog items
  • Has anyone in here bought a car or for that matter anything off of Ebay?? Was your purchase well spent or a rip-off?? Please comment maybe we can get off of this ridiculous Cadillac issue.
    Going on to the subject of Ebay wouldn't exactly relate to the topic "High End Luxury Marques" either.

But to answer your question, I've bought and sold some stuff on Ebay. I find it a great e-commerce site.
  • Does anyone know what the new Audi A8 will have under its hood??
  • 4.2 V8, W12 option, V10 diesel?
  • "In 2001, Audi sold just 163 A8's in Canada while Mercedes sold 1,218 S-Class models, Jaguar 498 XJ sedans, BMW 466 7-Series models, and Lexus 455 LS430's. Even the terminally-trailing Infiniti Q45 (which admittedly is new for 2002) sold 190 units." Greg Wilson. Now I know that Canada is very small in population compared to the U.S., but was this the case here as well? Anyone have the numbers?
    In the US, the LS430 leads all the cars in sales, thru Oct-02, the 7-series is 2nd, the S-class 3rd, the others in between, and I believe the Q45 is in dead last.
    "In that case, Cadillacs are also high end luxury cars too."

But nobody is paying anywhere near sticker for those Cadillacs.

Question? Where are you that a MB/BMW dealer is that far away?

But I agree, when I think "high-end" I think S-Class, 7-Series, A8, XJ, and LS430. The LS430 is the bottom of the category on it's base price, but I've seen them optioned up to 70K so it's in there. The S600 sits at the top of this group and as a entrance into the next group up.

Maybach, Bentley, Aston-Martin, Rolls-Royce are "ultra-luxury" cars. These cost 150K or better in most cases.

M
    The S-class body design is significantly refined (stronger, tighter, quieter) than the E-class body. Higher priced versions of the E-class do not get better bodies, although they may get a little more sound insulation. So I think the S-class is high end while the E-class is not. Cadillac simply does not have anything in the S-class category I guess. Since I have never had a ride in, much less driven any Mercedes, I have no idea what a Mercedes is like compared to my 2002 Seville LS. I live in the western part of the State that the deposed Majority leader of the Senate is from. We have a gold mine out here that is well known, since it probably filled Fort Knox.
    "The S-class body design is significantly refined (stronger, tighter, quieter) than the E-class body. Higher priced versions of the E-class do not get better bodies, although they may get a
    little more sound insulation."

Ok, I'll buy that for 2003. I'm not so sure though with the pre-facelifted 2000-2002 S-Class. The car lost a lot of rigidity from the 1999 model. The new E is very solid, a definite step up from the previous E-Class...the doors even "thunk" like the days of Benzes gone by.

Hmmmm you're that far west in "that" state huh? Interesting.

M
    Denver is the nearest location where there are several dealerships. East from here, Sioux Falls is possibly closer (and all interstate).

I personally think the E-class has all the "refinement" that anyone really needs. Actually, I like my 02 Seville LS. It seems like a very solid car with little wind noise. The frameless windows on the Riviera and Aurora would make noise in a head wind.
  • sysadbsysadb Posts: 83
    Maxhonda, are you sure the Q45 is dead last? Even the previous Q outsold the A8 in the US, and the new Q, while still a slow seller, is selling more units than before. I'll check the numbers when my site comes back up...
    Autosite.com shows that the Q45 sold 3000+ so far this year while the Audi S8 ~300 and the A8 ~800. Rolls Royce sales were a blazing 97 or so.
  • And their buyers probably like it that way.
    Yup, right, the Q45 is the bigger seller at about 3K thru Sep-02 vs. about 800 for the A8.