Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    bring the Century brand over or further extending the Lexus line upwards while dropping the ES.

I have my doubts on that, although who can say for sure.

I suspect that it is more likely that we will see the new upcoming LF-type super car will just further expand the top end, and we will continue to still see the ES at the low end. But that's just how I see it at this point.

TagMan
    Oh, I get it . . . a new campaign to include the Q45? LOL.

It is a nice car, though.

TagMan
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    I may be mistaken on this, but I thought it was always included here. Just few pay much attention to it any more not long after its initial introduction. Infiniti's 3-car line up is G, M and Q, from bottom to the top, in that order, roughly matching 3, 5, 7; C, E, S; IS, GS, and LS.
    Why? . . . It's not near the car of the E-Class. :P

Please say you are joking . . . next you will pick out the top of the Acura line-up and say one of those is a HELM, too.

Or . . . Corolla, Camry, and Avalon! . . . Yes, it's the Avalon! But, which is closer to the ES? The Camry or the Avalon? Answer is the Camry. Isn't it?

Oh wait! What about the Volvo HELM? :P

TagMan
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    I say no to the E class. I don't feel that it's more luxurious over the A6, nor do I feel like it's a better performer than the 5 series. If their is another Benz that belongs here I think it's the CLK 500. But in spite of the dictionary I think that it doesn't belong here. I won't kick and scream if it's added however :blush:
    Q base variant is 200" long and motivated by a good-sized V8 developing 340hp. It's also the top of Infiniti's line up.

E class variants start at a 1.8L inline4 propelling a car 190" in length. Even the base variant in the US is most comparable to Infiniti M35, which is 192" in length and powered by a 275hp V6, compared to E350's 190" and 265hp V6.

Obviously, Infiniti is a luxury brand.
    If their is another Benz that belongs here I think it's the CLK 500.

Cool. I was waiting for someone to suggest the "other" Mercedes. For me, without the E, the next one is easy . . . the CLS!!!!!

I won't kick and scream if it's added however

Neither will I. (just kidding . . . actually, I won't kick and scream if it's NOT added)

TagMan
    CL is an S-class derivative . . . so, yes, in a way CL is included with the S-class inclusion.
    OK. Good enough. But, I'll NEVER agree with your portrayal of the E. I'm fine that it might not qualifiy to be a HELM here. No problem. But your view of the E is not nearly like mine, IMO. Let's just leave it at that.

TagMan
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    is, will the soon to be released S450 be added on arrival? Or will it be a factor due to the same body but less engine, and technology [I think, is that right Merc?]
    CLS is S-Class derivative, but I always thought that the CLK is a derivative of the C-Class. Help me out here, if I'm incorrect.

TagMan
    I wrote "CL" not "CLK" I assumed the original poster ment CL not CLK because MB has a the CL as its top coupe offerings . . . with CLK a step or two below. I know, the naming is confusing as heck.
    Nope . . . the poster dhamilton clearly put CLK, not CL. It was me that put CLS. Hope that helps.

TagMan
    IMHO, it will, just like the old S430 (and S320). The industry has been body-centric since the tremendous BMW marketing success of the 80's with its 3, 5, 7 "same sausage in different sizes." Before that, MB used to rate cars by engine size, like 300 series, 500 series, 600 series, etc. It has all but abandoned that approach.
    I know that's what he did. That's why I said I assumed he meant "CL" not "CLK" It's just not polite to point out typos or obvious reference errors when the person can be understood to mean something else. So I addressed CL without pointing out the typo. CL is the top of the MB's coupe range; CLK is entry-level coupes. MB's naming convention here is very confusing (K means Kuntz, or "short", just like SL vs. SLK).
    If that plain LS460 qualifies, than the long-wheelbase S450 would be a shoe-in.

TagMan
    It's just not polite to point out typos or obvious reference errors when the person can be understood to mean something else.

MB's naming convention here is very confusing

You did seem confused there, as you admit, and you did type incorrectly, so it was logical to try to clarify. Sorry if you think I was not polite. All is OK.

TagMan
    I did not try to address whether you were being polite or not. What I said was, after being presented with the question whether CLK was HELM, instead of officiously admonishing dhamilton on the correct candidate should have been CL, I simply assumed that he/she had CL in mind (to be polite, and frankly I think he/she probably did have CL in mind). Whether you want to officially correct him/her is none of my business. I know the difference between CL and CLK quite well myself, thank you very much; at no time did I type incorrectly on this one. But for non-german speaker not knowing what K stands for, it can be confusing.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I remember four or five years ago there was a big discussion between almost everyone vs Merc on the Lexus and was it even a HELM car or not...Slowly Merc threw in the towel, but really put up a fight....It was back then that my admiration for Merc grew as he really knew his fact and figures--and was stubborn as could be..Today there are quite a few imo who are right up there with him...Tony

Not sure which discussion that was, but I've never, ever thrown in any towels anywhere concerning Mercedes or MB vs. Lexus. If anything certain Lexus defenders have left, quit, gave up since 1999, not me. This debate about whether or not a E is a HELM just doesn't interest me enough to really get involved.

It was that bunk about the LS430's sales and what it sold for which didn't make it a HELM IMO and I still stand by that belief. Now the car itself was a cut above the E/5/GS/A6 class in terms of space/luxury though it wasn't nearly as sporty, but it wasn't supposed to be. Maybe that is what I "gave" some on, the LS430 being a HELM by specification?

M
    I make mistakes often, and I admit that quite freely. But I honest did not make mistake on this one. If you don't believe me, go back a few posts and see that it would simply make no sense if I were talking about CLK instead CL. Once a person knows what the K stands for in German, like I do, there's no reason to make mistake or confuse the two. The problem with MB marketting is that they assume all the non-German speakers would bother to learn the German word; otherwise it makes absolutely no sense, the longer name stands for a shorter car :-)
    This debate about whether or not a E is a HELM just doesn't interest me enough to really get involved.

It's pretty much extinguished itself by now. Too bad you weren't into it. Many were, and it was interesting, IMO.

It was that bunk about the LS430's sales and what it sold for which didn't make it a HELM IMO and I still stand by that belief

the LS430 being a HELM by specification?

Thanks for the clarity on that one.

TagMan
    I could have easily picked that one myself.

I'll take mine with the BlueTec diesel, please.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Recent reviews from Automobile Magazine and Road and Track are both positive.

Automobile: "The new LS460 is not just the peer of the leading trio (BMW 7 Series, Mercedes Benz S-Class, Audi A8), it provides a new benchmark for the category."

Road and Track: "The best LS yet. A sleek, supremely appointed. luxuriously outfitted freeway flier."
    They qualify that, however, with it "is not a numbers car."
    In other words, you do much of your driving in a straight line and you want to do it in style, have we got the car for you.

On my monthly perusal of the Lexus LS460 threads, seems like a lot of unhappy campers complaining about lack of rear seat legroom and a poor left foot driver's foot well.
    One guy got so incensed, he plans to measure the latter area with a tape measure!

One thing BMW really does great: the left foot driver's foot well. Always enough room and perfectly placed.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Cool. I was waiting for someone to suggest the "other" Mercedes. For me, without the E, the next one is easy . . . the CLS!!!!!

I mentioned the CLS like two days ago!

Quoting myself: "Now if you wanted the CLS on this board, that would be a little more reasonable. Its not quite S-class level, but its definitely above the mid-lux E, 5, A6, M, GS, RL, STS, S80, S-type class. The Audi A7 and BMW 650 could also be included."
    There are still equipment differences, for instance AVS and VGRS on the 450h, not available on the 350.

I'll take a 400lb. lighter car over one with a "sport" suspension setting. The Lexus version of active body control might make the 450h feel a bit less like the overweight porker it is, but thats going to take it up to a cool $65K.

Why would anyone pay extra for active steering? $10K extra? For that?
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I'm not saying a GS450h or even LS600hL is for me, with trunk space being the leading reason in my case.

But when I see big (like 10k) numbers being tossed about as an alleged "hybrid premium" I just like to try to set the record straight.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,024
    I really don't think that it is important whether or not we officially expand the number of HELMS here.

What is important is that our good host Pat has always given us leeway in the ones that we discuss here. You all know there has been a varied lot. Sometimes it is important to talk about other autos just for the sake of comparison.

I for one hope that the next "Q" will formally qualify. New competition will only help the others. Shoot, maybe it will become the new "benchmark" and take the title away from the new LS. :) (According to Automobile Mag)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

But when I see big (like 10k) numbers being tossed about as an alleged "hybrid premium" I just like to try to set the record straight.

I agree with you, I was one of the ones saying that the "true" difference in cost between the RX330 and RX400h was not the $10K that it looked like. In this case though, it sure seems like a lot of money for the hybrid. Since AVS and VGRS aren't available as individual items its hard to gauge what their true cost is, but since those two items as well as upgraded wheels and brakes are available on the 460L for less than $3K, I have to assume they wouldn't be more than $700 a piece. Taking that adjustment out, its still $8.5K for less than 40 extra horsepower, or $10K for the hybrid plus those two questionably useful (especially for VGRS) extras.
    Now if you wanted the CLS on this board, that would be a little more reasonable.

Very sorry I missed your post. Certainly, the CLS is reasonable.

Regarding the E, I was reaching a bit to see how far we could all go. It's not a problem that it doesn't fit in here, as the CLS most obviously does, and it has and will get some discussion now and then.

But, as it turns out we definately agree on that model, the CLS.

TagMan
    maybe it will become the new "benchmark" and take the title away from the new LS

You didn't think I wasn't going to catch THAT, did you? ;)

You'll need a larger concensus of reviews beyond Automobile Ragazine to achieve "benchmark" title.

But, true, the new LS460 is very good in some ways, but mostly as compared to its previous models as opposed to the current S-Class, it would seem.

I also noticed those LS "footwell" issues being talked about, and I am curious as to the results of the "tape measure study".

TagMan