Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'm glad you all like the pics. Not much work in posting them. The hardest part is taking them with so many people around!

From the the 2007 model year onward all of Mercedes diesel cars will be legal in all states - according to all the recent press. They're just waiting on the mandatory clean diesel to be available nationwide. The S320 I was told will be a 2008 model.

Airmatic is standard on all S-Classes so no choice there, but any problems with Airmatic were solved back in 2002-2003 production. Nothing to worry about there IMO.

The S-Class looks better in person IMO than in some photos, especially in AMG trim. What gets me is that it looks better in real life photos than in the ones Mercedes initially released.

M
    Well I think of it as part treat for car enthusiasts and part exposure for new products. They know that of the 1.2 odd million people that storm the halls at Detroit, Chicago, New York or wherever aren't going to run out and buy a car next week, but it does give people and idea of what to put on their short list I think.

Detroit is the most important for the U.S. auto industry and the domestices have to make sure they dominate it if for no other reason than to save face. If they start getting lax at participating in autoshow the domestics will really, really be in deep trouble in the minds of everyone, not just industry observers.

M
    What do you think of the Aston Ripade Concept? I know you said some unforgiveable things about the Aston DB9 before...lol, but I'm curious to know what you think about them adding two doors to it?

M
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    The elitist arrogance of the Lexicans is really being poured on thick.
    A shame they always get so defensive.
    The Steelers will wipe the smiles off of those Sea Hawks although this prediction is not etched in stone.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    You are absolutely correct. The reasons for the LS' enormous success in the HELM world is an extraordinary combination of reliability and extremely savvy pricing-it has been no accident that the LS was designed to look like a MB and be priced lower HELM for HELM.

Neither of these things should change with the introduction of the new LS 460.
    Add a successful re-styling to the mix and you have a real winner here, much as it pains me to say so.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Before I was even old enough to drive, the Mercedes and Jaguars were the ones that were special to my eyes. (Very young, I had a red Jaguar XKE replica on my shelf that I thought was the world's most beautiful car!) I always thought of Cadillacs as a GM "joke" on folks that needed to "look" rich, and I will admit that back then the Lincoln Continental did catch my young eyes for some reason, but that did not last too long.

After driving age . . . I thought the Austins and the Triumph TR6 were "cool" (don't really know why, and never owned them), but the Porsche was actually the first car to truly excite me as a driver. I still love the Porsches, the Jags, and the MBs most of all. Guess I'm not that complicated.
    TagMan
    should be a GREAT game.

Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price.

Do you hear something over and over again . . . or is it just me?

TagMan
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Tagman - let me enlighten you that Merc1 has a habit of posting sarcastically over the years so I posted sarcastically back. It's too bad you got mixed up in this as I thought we had some clasy posts exchanged until now.

As for sensitivity - note that a Euro board had to be started to escape the Lexus crowd (who respected the exclusivity) but it seems it's a failure with only 30 or 40 posts a month. Take Lexus out of the equation and lux car talk loses all excitement and seems to get rather dull.
    I'm not mixed up in anything. Our posts are fine and will continue to be so, even if we don't agree on everything. I have said again very recently that the Lexus is a viable choice as a HELM and I definately agree that it does make for a better forum when it is included. No doubt about it. You good with that?
    TagMan
    Tagman - let me enlighten you that Merc1 has a habit of posting sarcastically over the years so I posted sarcastically back. It's too bad you got mixed up in this as I thought we had some clasy posts exchanged until now.

What did I say that was sarcastic? You tried to imply that one has to be a buyer to understand Lexus' ability to price or where they will price their cars. I say that isn't true at all. Where is the sarcasm?

I don't think you were being sarcastic in the least, you were serious in stating that one needs to be a Lexus buyer to understand their pricing.

M
    Well for me it has historically been Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, Porsche and Audi. Recently Porsche and Audi have moved ahead of BMW on my desireability scale. Though I still want certain BMWs. Still though I just like European cars in general the most. From Japan INC. I still like Acura, but Infiniti is #1 out of Japan for me now.

M
    As far as the rice-burners go, I like Acura, too. I have a hard time liking Nissan, though. Even back when they were marketed here under the Datsun nameplate, they were never as good as the Toyotas, truthfully. And I still think that they are not as good a product in terms of engineering and quality. The newest Acuras, BTW, according to Honda corporate, will be true Acuras (not Honda derivatives) starting with each new model from now on.

To me, the most significant thing coming out of Japan, Inc. is the hybrid. They will kick serious hybrid butt for a while, and I truly applaud them for it. Of course, things will change over time.

On a side note, I am SO freakin' anxious for the Mercedes diesels to hit all the models in all the states.
    TagMan
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    we're getting way too personal, folks. You can not like what someone else has to say, but responding in a personal manner is not the thing to do. Let's keep our comments focused on the cars and the marques and not each other.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Acura is nice, but I've only really started to notice their products within the past few years. The one car Acura got right in the beginning was the Legend, and then they took a huge step backwards with the RL, which they then took a decade to replace. The fact that the last NSX off of the line had basically the 1991 interior was also rather pathetic. They didnt even bother to change the "ACURA" logo on the steering wheel. Their pre-'04 interiors were also painfully cost cut.

The most interesting thing by far that Acura has done lately is the turbocharged RDX sport ute. The four in the TSX could really use that turbo.
    From what I've seen, I like the RDX quite a bit, and expect it to sell well, IF they stay in the 30's as planned. Lots of latest features included for the $. Should also get decent MPG, which is getting to be more and more significant to car buyers at all tiers now.
  • scott1256scott1256 Posts: 531
    Manufacturers don't only reach the people who attend the show.

Thanks to the internet, details of new cars and concept cars along with rumors from the show are reported in real time.

Think of how many people the various Edmunds topics about the Detroit show have reached.

All this adds up to a lot of free pubilicity.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Exactly! That's MILLIONS of advertising dollars saved! The price for an auto show display is paltry in comparison.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Also, its only real competition at this point is the BMW X3, which it should undercut by thousands. I think Benz has backed off of the B-class in the US for exchange rate reasons, and Lexus, Infiniti, and VW are still working on their challengers.
    Good point. The new RAV4 will likely be considered by the mags to be a competitor, but it's not nearly the vehicle. The RDX could be a MUCH bigger hit than expected.

The Acura name will improve, I believe, with new models such as the RDX, and next generation MDX, (NSX will only be an icon model), but a really GREAT flagship may still be a ways off. In the Japanese luxury arena, Lexus is practically untouchable, IMO.

TagMan
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Good point. The new RAV4 will likely be considered by the mags to be a competitor, but it's not nearly the vehicle. The RDX could be a MUCH bigger hit than expected.

There is no way that people shopping for BMW, MB, and Acura would lump Toyota (not Lexus) into their small SUV search. The RAV4 appears to be a nice vehicle, but it isn't (and isn't meant to be) in the same class as those others. To consider the RAV4 a competitor to the X3, maybe the B-Class(?), the RDX, and even the RX330, is just crazy....