Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    You might want to edit that post and put in a link, rather than a direct picture post. That is *a little* over the 500px limit imposed by the hosts.
  • The LS430 hit 60 in 6.13. ;)

DrFill
  • lexusilexusi Posts: 65
    I saw this chart earlier, but it says LS900h! iam i blind? or its really LS900h?? anyone knows??

Lexusi
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Thanks to improper picture sizing, I have to shop around for a 45" monitor!
    And the addition of a sixth cog has made the car < 6 seconds. I have no idea where this supposed 7.2 number came from, thin air I suspect. The LS430 weighs less than the Acura RL, which is why its always been faster than its horsepower would suggest.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I agree of course that Lexus lacks a certain amount of prestige because they lace a V12, however I do think the LS600h (if it truly lives up to all the hype given around here) will partly make up for this. Now I'm reading that it won't be a $100K car, but will be 90K instead? So much speculation here and on the 2007 LS board. I'll just wait until they show the car in New York in April. Of course for some a V12 is a V12 and there is no substitue. That crowd I don't think would buy a Lexus anyway, V12 or not.

At this point we do not know whether toyota and lexus are even capable of making a world beating V12 which can match S65 AMG's 600 HP.

Well we know they could if they wanted too, but it wouldn't fit in the with green performance image Lexus is trying create with their hybrids and we know Toyota isn't going to do a V12 with 600 and hybrid with 500hp. One would render the other pointless - depending on the type of buyer.

M
    Well we know they didn't just throw 50hp on at the end, but they sure made sure they matched the S550. I'm sure anyone in the industry could have found out what the hp rating was long before the launch in Sept 2005. Not hard to do. You were the one that said they'd never go over 350hp!

M
  • V12 has never been a "true technological benchmark" for any automaker. Companies typically got their production V12 before their capability to make a production V8 by simply putting two 6-cyl engines together; e.g. BMW of the late 80's. V12's are usually sold in such small numbers that it makes no sense to start new engine technology R&D on production V12 engines; they just get whatever is available on the company's I6 or V6, in a double-shot.
  • A 23" does just fine. It's the horizontal pixel count that matters, most 45" monitors actually are video monitors that have relatively low pixel count.
    Above the monsterous 2560x1600 Dell 30" 3007FP, nothing is higher than 1920x1080 (though granted thats still very high compared to a few years ago).
  • No kidding. If throwing in additional 50hp at the tail end of vehicle development cycle were that easy, why not throwing 5 more and trounce the S550?

The whole point about Lexus "copying" MB on horsepower is ludicrous. If not for competition, none of the big three premium brands would be updating their products as frequently as they do. Of course all of them try to anticipate what the competitions offer and try to come up with products that are competitive.

BTW, the leaders of a horse power race is usually the under-dog of the market segment. For example, BMW has had the leadership of sports sedan for two decades now; every new comer tried to out-power BMW in order to garner some market attention. For what it's worth, IMHO, in terms of product/engine development cycle and how long it takes to come up with a new engine, Infiniti Q45 was probably what started the current horse power war back when it was introduced with 340hp in early 2001 as a 2002 model when every other premium luxury cruiser had a flagship V8 in the 275-300 range. Even the V12's only made low to mid-300's back then in 2001-2002.
    Unfortunately, for all the power that the VK45 had, really sloppy gearing ruined it. The LS430 was faster. It's hard to believe that the Q and the first M were introduced not that long ago. The Q seems like its 10 years old. Infiniti needs to get rid of it in a hurry. I will never understand why they actually spent money to refresh a car for '05 that nobody buys.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    It's safe to back up and read whatever you might have missed.

:)
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    Supposedly a model that will have a powerful V8 hybrid and a V12 that will be positioned over the LS and likely a 110K+ starting point. Some posts reference it on the 2007 LS board. I agree with those here that say a powerful V8 + hybrid renders a V12 useless. Is there room for a V12 hybrid in a $150K+ car? Maybe that is where they will go. As far as I'm concerned a car at that level is purely a halo strategy.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    "You know how hard it is to build a V8, especially to Lexus/Mercedes/BMW levels of smoothness and durability."

I know you were addressing somebody else, and I'm not trying to be rude to you...

I just get a bit offensive of the "Lexus/Mercedes/BMW" claim. Where's Audi? I have an S4 Cabriolet- wonderful V8 engine. It's the most beautiful car I have ever owned, and it really gets me there! Audi V8s are smooth too.

And, Lexus isn't relevant to German cars. The "German Big Three" are BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi. Case closed.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    "And, Lexus isn't relevant to German cars."

You may want to read this before making such a claim. If I am a Euro auto exec I'm concerned about every move Lexus is making - seriously concerned. Also there is a separate Euro high end board where Lexus is excluded anyway.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/news/best-in-show-lexus-all-new-ls-460/1671/

Here's more on the Porsche VW investment. I've yet to read one positive story on this re VW.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/04/business/worldbusiness/04volkswagen.html?_r=1&- - oref=slogin
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    (sounds like designman's kind of site)

...the LS460 features a rounded but prominent body side crease, the new Lexus 'slingshot' DLO which kicks up into the C-pillar and a series of rather odd, curvy shut lines around the rear fender, bumper, light and trunk. Other notable elements are exhausts integrated into the rear lower valance, subtle chrome appliqué at the base of the doors and a faultless but rather conservative interior.

The LS460 is a more distinctive design than its predecessor, although relative to the imposing BMW 7 Series, unusually dynamic S-Class and classically svelte Jaguar XJ and Maserati Quattroporte it is very much in the old school luxury car idiom. But given its new found sophistication, the brand's ever elevating position and its competitors arguably nonsensical abandonment of the luxury car middle ground, this might just be one of the best judged designs of the year.

source article
  • Agreed. Like I said, Infiniti is the under-dog in the HELM market segment. It's relatively easy to introduce a new-fangled engine that is a cut above all others and lead off a horse power race, but the rest of the system integration is a lot harder. Q45 actually did pretty well in the first model year . . . then its sales fell off a cliff.
  • I can't find the word "German" in the forum title. As far as luxury brand sales volume ("big three") is concerned, Audi trails far behind Lexus, BMW and Mercedes (in that order) in the US, with Cadillac, Acura and Infiniti in between and all ahead of Audi. Out of all these brands, Acura is the only one without a smooth running V8 or any V8 produciton engine.
    Interesting site. They seem to think the new Camry and LS460 have some common styling elements:

Slightly reminiscent of the new Lexus LS460 also debuting at Detroit, particularly its rear three quarter view.....

Other than that they seem to really like the new LS design.

M