Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Porsche AG said it has increased its stake in Volkswagen AG to 27.4 pct from 21.2 pct as it unveils a full year to end-July 2006 pretax profit of 2.110 bln eur, up from 1.238 bln, a boost fuelled by strong vehicle sales as well as one-off gains.

The spokesman said if the shareholding were to reach 30 pct, German laws require a company to make a mandatory offer to acquire the rest of the other firm, something which he said Porsche does not want to do right now in the case of Volkswagen.

The company's statement said the supervisory board has authorized the management board to increase the shares in Volkswagen up to a maximum of 29.9 pct.

Porsche's net income as a proportion of sales is the highest in the industry at 19 percent. That compares with 7.5 percent at Toyota Motor Corp., the world's second-biggest carmaker, for the year ended March 31, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Forbes

Bloomberg

The markets reacted negatively to the additional VW investment. Heh, heh... we take the "risk" of buying German cars and they up the risk ante on VW. I like their style.

;-)
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Didn't you say that getting in and out of the Lotus was pretty much a challenge? That didn't cause your injury, did it? I'm very sorry to hear about that.

Thanks, Pat.

No, I can't blame the Lotus. I took the hardtop off right after I got it, and that made getting in and out much easier.

I'll be very brief, as this forum isn't about my injury. The quick story is that the injury felt like knives in my neck so I drove myself to the hospital. The rest is history. Since the MRI's and X-rays, I've gotten four shots in the neck :sick: , and plenty of meds. I can now move around with physical therapy for a while.

So the Lotus is about to be gone. My focus is to get as much of my "life as I once knew it" back, but with new rules of the game and new limitations. I'm a trooper, though.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Remember when you emailed me that I had kind of "lost it" on the forum? The truth is I WAS pretty much out of it cause of those darned meds. :confuse: I've since learned to be more careful.

Thanks, Pat. Now enough about me. I'm hoping you'll let me talk about the Porsche next week if everything goes through as I hope it does. :)

TagMan
    I hope you're not overdoing it by buying a Porsche. My wife has back problems and I have to be very careful about driving, particularly with gear shifts which jolt the neck. The Boxster is totally out of the question for her. Also, the owner of my company has back problems and his wife gave up her Porsche because of it. Be careful.
    If the Tip is too jerky, then I'm SOL.

But, I anticipate my condition to improve enough for me to be able to do many of the things I used to do, including the Porshce. I just don't want to EVER do anything that could even remotely cause a repeat performance, and that would include driving the Lotus, among other things, like surfing, etc. I'll still coach kid's sports, but I'll have an assistant coach (for the really tough stuff) from now on.

While the Lotus didn't CAUSE the situation, it would be stupid for me to consider a car like that, which is well-known for being brutal on the driver. I don't think the Porsche has that kind of reputation, except for the suspension of the GT3, from what I understand.

TagMan
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I've always had a soft spot for Hondas!

Us too; I feel like Hondas are a poor man's Bimmer. :) That may not be true to some people, but it is close enough for our car budget (generally at or below $25k per vehicle)
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    But, I anticipate my condition to improve enough for me to be able to do many of the things I used to do, including the Porshce. I just don't want to EVER do anything that could even remotely cause a repeat performance,

Tagman,

I find your Porsche decision very exciting indeed.
    I think you yourself know what's best for you.

I am tempted to suggest to you that you should wait a few months until your condition improves before buying another car. With changed conditions our tastes for cars also changes. But ofcourse I wont suggest that since it is only you that knows what is best in this particular situation of yours.
    I've always had a soft spot for Hondas!

Us too; I feel like Hondas are a poor man's Bimmer

I love the Honda S2000. Many years ago when it was introduced I liked it more than a BMW Z3. And I am quite sure that I will like the new S2000 more than the current Z4.

OK, ok now back to those high end cars.
    While the current E-Class doesn't quite make the grade for this forum, the NEXT generation might surprise all of us. Quick peak here:

2009 E-Class?

In the meantime, there is still the likelihood that merc's S-Class convertible will become a reality.

This was previously posted, but here's a reminder:

2008 S-Class convertible

As I recall, he'll be eating the brochure shortly after its release. merc - will that be with Ketchup, Mustard, or Bar-B-Que sauce?

TagMan
    Rather than fork over big bucks to get high-performance versions of sexy sports cars, some enthusiasts are trying to get the bling without the extra ka-ching.
    They are going to dealers or online auctioneer eBay to buy emblems in hopes their cars can masquerade as versions that would cost thousands more.

"It happens all the time," says Myles Kovacs, president of Dub magazine, which follows car-customization trends. "People want to live outside their means."

Cruising the streets of Southern California, officials at Kelley Blue Book, an auto-buying service, say they've seen Mercedes eight-cylinder coupes rebadged as 12-cylinder versions, a sedan with emblems that would make it a coupe, and fake high-performance AMG or Brabus models.

SOURCE:USAToday

The USAToday writer equates an enthusiast with a poseur or with someone with an inferiority complex that wants to flaunt what he does not have. I find such a view insulting for all car enthusiasts.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    While the current E-Class doesn't quite make the grade for this forum, the NEXT generation might surprise all of us. Quick peak here:

2009 E-Class?

Appreciate that! Looks pretty sweet to me! Hope it makes it there. Never been very impressed with Mercedes' sedans style. Looks like a step in the right direction. :)
    Appreciate that! Looks pretty sweet to me! Hope it makes it there. Never been very impressed with Mercedes' sedans style. Looks like a step in the right direction.

Huge leap forward, IMO. Thus the reason I placed the link.

Glad you liked it, too! :D

TagMan
    The USAToday writer equates an enthusiast with a poseur or with someone with an inferiority complex that wants to flaunt what he does not have. I find such a view insulting for all car enthusiasts.

Well . . . it is obvious that the author has identified the situation, but has failed to truly understand the nature of it . . . which has nothing to do with genuine enthusiasts.

Phonies, wannabees, pretenders, and counterfeiters are generally not enthusiasts, for goodness sakes.

TagMan
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well, as long as they keep chasing each other it is good for us, right?

True, very true. Something we can definitely agree on.

M
    Hey, don't worry, no one was saying that MB's Alabama plant had issues because of the Alabama workforce.

Nope, I never bought that either. There are (as thegraduate pointed out) other plants in AL and all across the U.S. the turn out better quality vehicles. The only other plant the comes to mind from a foreign make is Nissan's plant in MS. It has been very troubleseome for them.

M
    If they are working towards each other (Lexus getting more sporty, BMW getting more reliable - neither of which I know of as true), then surely the car market can satisfy most people!

Well they are definitely trying to cross each other on those goals, somewhat. Lexus will only go so far with their quest to take on BMW. Infiniti has them beat by a country mile in that respect, but they'll still try to capture some of the BMW market. The IS350's suspension calibration and the lack of a manual tell you how far they're going to go. On the flip side most car companies are trying to match Toyota in reliability. BMW has the money and smarts to do it if they're serious about it.

M
    But the quality woes that plagued MB at the turn of the century seem to have faded away, particularly on all of the new product.

Uhh...not quite IMO. On the S-Class I'll stick my neck out and say yes. Also the more serious things that went wrong with the E-Class (Nav, SBC brakes) have been resolved so we'll have to see how the 07' E and S models do. This will be crucial in determining whether or not MB has truly turned the corner. The ML and R being from a different plant and thrown together in a different situation than German Benzes don't inspire any belief in MB having fixed their problems with that plant and those models.

M
    Not sure how I missed this post. Sorry to hear about your injury. Question though, a 911 has a soft enough ride for you? The SL and XK are much more comfortable as far as ride quality is concerned. A 911 is still a sports car, you're cheating...lol!! :D

M
    The next E won't look like that. Edit: that isn't too bad but I'd have to see the front end.

There will be no S-Class convertible. Maybe a CL convertible or a Maybach 4-door convertible, but a S550 droptop..never!

As I recall, he'll be eating the brochure shortly after its release. merc - will that be with Ketchup, Mustard, or Bar-B-Que sauce?

LOL....maybe I'll make a pizza out of it with the Ketchup.

M
    911 has a soft enough ride for you?

Compared to the Lotus, a skateboard is a soft ride. Seriously, as I recall it should be OK. But, I'll absolutely test carefully before final dollars exchange hands. The GT3, however, would be totally out of the question.

The SL and XK are much more comfortable as far as ride quality is concerned. A 911 is still a sports car, you're cheating...lol!!

OH yeah! :) I'm grabbing every last fiber I can at this point. But, you are so right about the beautiful SL and XK. I love them both, but I don't want two vehicles of the same brand in the garage, so the XK is out for now. If the 911 is too harsh, the SL is indeed the backup, as you said.

TagMan
    More Mercedes-Benzism just for you:

AMG

Scroll down to episode 21 and then Mercedes-AMG.

Well you know my vote is for the SL.

M
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Congrats to all of you who helped get this board opened back up. Glad you are all enjoying yourself... It looks like one happy family here, which is a good thing. Just don't screw it up again...

I'll be here lurking. Don't make me join the fray now, OK ? We surely don't want this board shut down again now, do we ? :P :shades:
  • But the extra costs and risks involved do not even come cloes to the pleasures I will gain with such tires.

Then why is BMW switching over to designs that involve run-flats?

BTW, taking subway is probably more dangerous than driving one's own car, when disease and mugging are taken into account :-)

32 visits to the repair shop in a year and half is not the kind of risk everyone can afford to take with their primary cars.
  • I too was very confused by that S-class convertible picture, but if the picture is real . . . it will be interesting to see a four-door convertible that does not have a basket handle. What exactly are the rear doors hinged onto? and how do they keep the posts from flexing?
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Cruising the streets of Southern California, officials at Kelley Blue Book, an auto-buying service, say they've seen Mercedes eight-cylinder coupes rebadged as 12-cylinder versions, a sedan with emblems that would make it a coupe, and fake high-performance AMG or Brabus models.

This recalls a fellow I met 15+ years ago. He kept referring to "my M3". When I saw the back of his car, the badge was "318is".
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,065
    Tag, my grandmother tells me that the Buick Lucerne has a nice smooth ride. :) And I hope your injury did not involve a chandalier or a trapeze!

Seriously, take care of yourself and I hope you will be in the market for another Lotus before long. If you remember a while back I asked about your QP? I had that confused with the Lotus.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Hi Oac! What's your story these days? Are you getting an LS460 or what? I think you said you would wait awhile. I see it's been slow over in Lexico. By the way, there's a Chinese restaurant near us that makes a dish called Happy Family.

;-)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    "I feel like Hondas are a poor man's Bimmer."

Hey thegraduate:

I hope you move up to the real thing some day.
    If you love driving, you will find there is nothing comparable in its price range across the BMW line.
    Remember, the cheaper the BMW, the better the performance.

Perhaps you should be thinking of going for a post-graduate degree! :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    "I feel like Hondas are a poor man's Bimmer."

Hey thegraduate:

I hope you move up to the real thing some day.
    If you love driving, you will find there is nothing comparable in its price range across the BMW line.
    Remember, the cheaper the BMW, the better the performance.

Perhaps you should be thinking of going for a post-graduate degree!

Yeah, well, at the moment, I'm going into Broadcast Journalism (not a high-paying field, but I aboslutely LOVE it)...maybe I'll be lucky enough to make the big time and make some actual $, and buy a Bimmer.

And I've always heard the more basic the BMW, the better!
    And I've always heard the more basic the BMW, the better!

That's why hpowders is about to trade in the 5 for a new twin-turbo 3 next March. ;)

This is the one he will get:

link title

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    And of course, there is always the Accord EX V6.
    One of our regular posters here has one, in addition to his high-end stable. I plan to test drive the EX V6 sometime soon.

PS:

1.You can get a low-mileage 2003 325i for less than $25k.
    2. I have read your informative posts over on the various Accord threads for quite a while. Good to see you here! :)