Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• Welcome to the board. For what it's worth, many euro fans around here actually consider not being able to feel what the tires just got in touch with a bad bad bad vehicle trait (they call "isolation chamber") even among the HELM cars. I have no idea why.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    middlep23 - thanks for your well-written description of your experience in the new S550. I think your appreciation of a fine automobile, regardless of the marque, is noteworthy for your age . . . and perhaps you have had a keen awareness of cars for some time now. Many of us posters here on this forum began taking an interest in cars when we were very young.

It can happen at any time, but once the bug bites . . . it's generally for life. ;)

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    middlep23 also has the advantage of not having to live through the '70s and particularly the '80s, very bad times for car enthusiasts. Hard to imagine today that this was basically the best looking car around in those days.

http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/images/ferrari/testarossa_1.jpg

On the other hand, that also means missing the '60s, which was the golden age of cars.
    I remember those days. Have to say the Testarossa still looks good to me, though. Only thing I ever did regarding Ferrari was a 328 GTS in '88 as I think back. It was a seriously mixed experience.

Yeah, middlp23 has an age of technology that we never even dreamed of. And more to come.
    ... as well as an age of gridlock and speed traps with laser targeting. The "Sunday drive" that a lot of us enjoyed as kids is definitely a thing of the past.
  • I saw one of those Ferraris on my way back from school the other day, i thought it looked pretty nice, i wouldnt mind driving one lol.
    Thats the one thing im worried about, traffic. Whats the point of having a 3 series at 16 when I wont be able to fully appreciate it
  • I forgot my manners lol, thanks for the warm welcome. I have had an affinity for automobiles for a while now. Mostly the higher-end marques, but some models from less prestigious brands catch my attention sometimes.
    While traveling with my wife from the airport to our hotel in London, we were passed by an F50. It was quite an experience, the sound was unlike anything else on the road, and you could literally see the engine through the back of the car. Not quite as magnificent as the Enzo, but pretty close.
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    While driving thru Aspen, I spotted an ENZO. My 11 year old went nuts. It was beginning to rain so we took a few pics and continued our t-shirt quest. It really is magnificent. It makes the Modena look like a 924. Nice to see cars of this magnitude on the road. The SLR we just sold is driven daily as well.
    I say daily.....we had to order the special Mobil 1 oil that is not on the market for the customer and store the drum for him. That slowed him down at first. ;)
  • How does this special oil differ from the one that is on the market?
    It's a "special secret" formula....if I told you I would have to seek you out and kill you. :P Hahahahahhaah
    It is actually a weight that is not on the market. :confuse: Mobil 1 5w50. We had to order it bulk thru MB parts.
    It makes the Modena look like a 924

Whoa! You've gone overboard there. ;)

Modena is truly a timeless lesson in design.

Did you drive the SLR before it was sold? Or did the dealership have understandable restrictions?

TagMan
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... It is actually a weight that is not on the market. :confuse: Mobil 1 5w50. ...

I think that is on the market. I believe I have seen that weight on the shelves before. Check a farm/gardening equipment store. If I recall, it was for lawn mower engines or something like that. :confuse:
    How would you feel if I drove your Testarossa before you bought it??? ;)

They roped the vehicle off in the get ready shop. $65K for a hood. We did not want it scratched. There was a strict break in period. The owner did not even rev it. MB flew in a tech to PDI the vehicle. It just about brought the shop to a stand-still. We had to purchase adapters to the lift due to the low clearance. It truly is a piece of work.
    ... It is actually a weight that is not on the market. Mobil 1 5w50. ...

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx
  • I will arm myself immediately just in case!!!
    I remember the rather lofty service back when I had just a "basic" 328GTS. It was an eye-opener. The SLR is a very "deep pocket" experience, no doubt about it.

I sure hope it went to a nice guy who will not just "afford" it, but "appreciate" it . . . if you know what I mean.
    Great guy. He gave rides to a few people. I don't know what it takes to maintain an exotic but I will say all 100 bolts on the carbon fiber underpinning must be replaced due to stress at regular intervals. The underpinning is an integral part of the structure that mates the monocoque chassis with the suspension sub frame. I had the opportunity to get a good view while it was in the air. I think this is the closest I will ever get to F1 technology.