Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Toyota Motor Corp., whose vehicles earn top marks for buyer satisfaction, has more models than any other automaker ranked at the bottom of a crash-protection study.

More models overall than any other marque was what I meant.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    jcoby,
    OK... Cool. :shades:
    TagMan
    First we ourselves are accused as spin masters and now Reuters/Bloomberg or whoever printed that story are also anti-TMC spin masters.

I hope this does not go to the World Court. I declare that I am innocent until proven guilty :P
  • I know of 2 people who also had to resort to lemon law on the early new 7 series due to electronic issues. I'm surprised that BMW couldn't fix these issues. That said, I think they make an outstanding product. I owned an 01 330i that was great. Cars are so much more reliable today that even if they trail the Lexus in problems per car, that may translate into one trip to the service center vs none for the Lexus. I had to take my 3er in for a sticky gas pedal fix that a TSB was issued for.
    It was done very quickly and I was back driving with a smile. My LS on the other hand has had 0 issues. Whatever car you decide to go for in the luxury sector, you should be fine on reliability (I think that 7 was really an aberration). In my opinion you should get the one that makes you happiest while driving.
    While it is great security to know that the Lexus is "bullet proof", that aspect usually won't put a smile on your face while you are driving or when you get into the car. I don't think you could go wrong on the reliability front with any of the cars discussed in this forum-I think even the latest 7 series are OK now.
    Keep us posted on your decision.
    Good luck.
  • thanks - I feel as if I have to make make a decision that will involve sacrifice somewhere. Either in performance or my wallet.

But, as far as the BMW is concerned it was not a unique situation. I know three other 7 series owners in the same boat. I was even warned before I purchased the beast. I was naive and thought the same as most in this discussion. However, in the long and arduous lemon process, BMW said they could NOT fix the bugs. Hence, I received a refund in lieu of a replacement vehicle. I would advise all to avoid BMW like the plague.
  • crash test standards seem to be all over the map. I was reading somewhere that the Ford 500 got a gold rating the first year it came out. The second year the rules changed, and it finished close to the bottom in it's segment.
    Hence, I received a refund in lieu of a replacement vehicle. I would advise all to avoid BMW like the plague.

Thanks but no thanks. I currently love being afflicted with that pestilence called the BMW plague and wouldn't have it any other way. In fact there are no two cars on this earth that provides the value of my BMW335i or my wife's BMW 5 series Touring. NONE whatsoever. And I intend to replace my 335i with a new generation M5 ( the third best value car on this planet earth).
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Okay. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Is BMW the best on other planets too?
    Only on the northern part of this planet where I currently reside in (Toronto). :)
  • Well, I'm happy for you. But in my part of the planet, BMW rates much lower on the list. :)
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,067
    Jcoby, welcome to the board. Your posts have been very thoughtful and intelligent and I certainly hope that you stick around. We could use more members like you here. Maybe we can make this a "no spin zone".

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I might sound biased, but I would go for the S550. The LS simply does not offer that all-around luxury car experience. It has no sporting pretensions- and having owned a BMW, I assume you'd like to have a car that can take a beating.

Mercedes dealers are hit-and-miss. I was looking at an E350 4Matic for my wife (though she wasn't with me that day), and my son and I waited twenty minutes until a service personell finally walked by us (the rest were in their cubicles, not noticing us, the only customers in the entire dealership), and my son grabbed them as he saw them walk by. The E350 was competent, but not the dealer. I know there's also some superb customer service at other dealers. As it turns out, I'm buying her an A8. Perfect for her- no hideously annoying last-generation COMAND system, AWD, backup camera (she has it on the RX now), intriguing air suspension, etc...

But the LS is nice, and I can see why you'd get it. But at this level, the S-Class is the only way to go. Why am I not getting it for her, then?

1. She doesn't really appreciate the design of the new Benz, and two of her friends just got them (both blk/blk, one of them 4Matic). It has to be an exclusive car, you know.

2. It's too big. I'm getting her a SWB A8. The car is half a foot shorter than the S-Class, which is only sold in LWB in the US.

3. It's too expensive. I'm not in the mood to spend almost $100K this year on a car she won't necessarily love.

4. It's too powerful. She's not exactly a skilled driver, and she might get herself killed in an S-Class, no matter how many high-tech safety features it may have. The A8 can be driven both like a Buick and like an M5, only with 150 less horsepower.

5. Finally, it's too feature-laden. I would sure appreciate some of the features this car packs, but she would never know how to use it.

Just my opinion.

Also- if you're getting an S, you must get the AMG bodykit. It's ridiculously priced ($6,000), but it makes the car that much more beautiful.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    "I would advise all to avoid BMW like the plague."

Thanks for the warning. I was considering getting the 335i coupe next year, but since it would probably explode or at the very least, fall apart between the showroom and driving it to my chateau, I have crossed it off my list.

Always willing to listen to fine advice. You may have saved my life. Thanks again!

BMW's? How can anyone actually drive those things? Don't they know the risks? It takes all kinds, I guess.
  • I like the S550 better, as you said, coming from a BMW it is a smoother transition. However, it is though to swallow the price difference. I am having trouble justifying it.
  • jcobyjcoby Posts: 140
    Of course it is a chink in Toyota's armor; I do not dispute this. However, it is quite a jump to say that Toyota and Lexus make more unsafe vehicles than any other manufacturer when that statement is not supported by the official IIHS press release or through an analysis of the data presented to the public via the IIHS database. The test in question is a rear-end protection test that many competing European models ALSO performed poorly in. The vehicle test pool alluded to in the official press release is far smaller than the universe of currently available models for 2007; if a vehicle performed poorly in any other IIHS tests, it was not even mentioned. The vehicles in question all have "Good" crash test ratings in every other measure by the IIHS. The vehicles in question actually received partial praise by even being included in the press release, but they simply did not make the cut of the coveted "Top Safety Pick" award.

The IIHS has not tested every currently available model and so any conjecture that Toyota and Lexus make more unsafe vehicles than any other manufacturer (without qualification) is not correct because not every model currently on the market has been tested.

Having said that, I do believe that the IIHS data would support the conjecture that Audi, BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes all make very safe vehicles overall :)
  • Glad to be of help. Although, you should take the chance; that way you can enjoy the driving experience before you crash and burn. ;)
    First we ourselves are accused as spin masters and now Reuters/Bloomberg or whoever printed that story are also anti-TMC spin masters.

I hope this does not go to the World Court. I declare that I am innocent until proven guilty

LOL

Man, this forum sure lit up today. We need more studies for that day we all go to World Court... especially those studies that bring TMC down a notch in OVERALL ratings. ;)

BTW, is it my imagination or did winter make an early sneak appearance this week?

TagMan
    Perhaps a one day lease with gap insurance?
    Sunny and 85 degrees.
    You are on to something big there. Ultra short-term leases would be cool, IMO.
    TagMan
    Seriously, I would love to be able to lease for 6 months.
    Two new cars a year sounds about right.
    Low 60's here daytime, but nighttime is freakin 30's.

Tampa sounds gooooooood, especially at night.
    I agree. That would be so cool. I wouldn't have to keep taking these big hits on trading in too darned often. And, I could drive many more cars in my lifetime that I would love to drive.
    TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,067
    Snow,10 degrees, 25 mph wind. I think it just stopped snowing. What a wierd storm. Total snow from 1 inch on the north side of KC to over a foot on the south side. About 6 inches at my house. Brrrr...

Look out, the storm is heading north and east.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

As long as you don't go swimming in the lake filled with 'gators at 4AM like some lunatic did.
    No wonder you get grumpy. ;)
    Funny :D

I don't think that the media has much of any anti-TMC bias. I would have also been offended if the same spin had been written about Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. None of these makes performed perfectly across-the-board in the IIHS tests, but the overall scores for each manufacturer are quite good.

See:

link title

AND:

link title

(Vehicles are listed in order of performance in crash tests)

According to the IIHS, the BMW 3-series and Mercedes E-Class also appear to be inches away from earning a "Top Safety Pick" award; but their scores are no better than the competing Lexus models that also just missed the mark.
    Here's another spy shot of the Porsche Panamera.

It'll be a while before the REAL pic is out.

TagMan
    Thank you very much for the kind words :)