Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    I forgot to tune in until about 9:40, so only caught the last few minutes. Did they say anything of interest that isn't in the Australian press release?
    Much more detailed than the Australian release, and you can click on the picture to access a picture gallery

press release

direct link to picture gallery
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    The press release stated AWD as the drivetrain, yet it is almost ignored throughout, i.e., not hyped as the first LS with AWD, but first XM-factory install hyped ! Strange... Overall, the press release is scant on information... typical Toyota/Lexus. No TQ number was even speculated, which means they are still working out the final HP/TQ numbers. I suspect the HP would probably be substantially more than 430. Like DrFill said, a 50HP bump from the LS460 --> LS600h wouldn't cut it, with the added weight from the battery and AWD. A 2-stage CVT tranny is very nice, and of course finally an LS for all-terrain. How AWD and VDIM will work together should be interesting, cos there is no Lexus with such a combo setup.

I must say I was NOT overwhelmed with the info in the press release. Maybe in time as more info trickles out of Lexus I'll get real excited. For now, I'll adopt a wait-n-see attitude with this car. Of course, my interest is in the SWB LS460. 380HP is plenty for me... My current 278HP LS400 has plenty of pep, and passing power.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    380hp 370lb-ft Approximate. They’re just not giving the details of the engine vs electric motor. The Rx400h spec sheet just lists total system power and no torque, no RPM. That’s as vague as it gets. Is it any different in the catalog? Just asking. It’s hard to parse hybrid power and compare it with a lone engine anyway. It seems there is no convention yet for presenting hybrid performance data.

And no weight spec. I hate that. I'm guessing it will be at least 4700 lbs. I wouldn't be counting on a 5-sec 0-60.

How AWD and VDIM will work together should be interesting, cos there is no Lexus with such a combo setup.

Doesn’t the Rx400h have AWD and VDIM?
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Merc,

Could be different tweaked power for different countries. As well there's been this rumored lux sedan that comes in above all of the LS cars that will be even more powerful than this one in the $110-130K range. If the latter is true you have to ask the question (to all lux brands for that matter) of how much is too much.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Initially, I think the car is quite attractive. The long wheelbase adds a degree of "elegance" I've personally not ever seen in a Lexus. The black looks terrific, but I imagine other colors will work well.

I do not like the way the rear center "cocktail tray" is directly over many of the multi media controls . . . a little spillage might do a lot more damage than in other configurations, and I definately frown upon the pull down monitor, as it is more common in mainstream suv's. Most upper end installations use individual headrest monitors. I'll hope that by the time the vehicle is released, there will be individual color monitors in the back of the front headrests, but that may just be wishful thinking.

There are no angles from the photos that I find disturbing. As much as I absolutely love the new Mercedes S-Class, the rear trunk bugs me (just a little, though) at a 45-degree angle from the rear. Other angles are wonderful, though.

I will withhold too much comment on the powertrain, as I am not yet clear on all the vitals, but the AWD is a pleasant surprise.

To me, this vehicle is a testimony to the potential level of technological achievement that is possible in one single production car. Lexus is to be congratulated for putting forth so much effort into this incredible vehicle and, IMO, raising the bar and challenging the entire industry. This LS600hL will be an ultimate HELM, and anyone that ends up with one should drive it proudly, IMO.

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Indeed the 278hp LS430 is no longer competitive, which is why its being replaced with the LS460. For whatever reason, ever since the GS400 was released in '98, its had more horses than the LS400\430.

I think you misunderstood the point of my post about the Northstar in the Lucerne. The engine is indeed very capable, but in crippled Buick form, and with just 4-cogs to work with and two tons of car to move (some 400lbs. more than the Avalon) its just not good enough. Ultimately another average GM product.
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    This LS600hL will be an ultimate HELM
    Without exception??
    Don't misunderstand, benzster. I said "an" ultimate HELM, not "THE" ultimate HELM. Certainly there are higher tiers and other incredible HELMs. The sophistication, however, of this upcoming LS600hL is unique in some ways, and it is historically noteworthy, IMO, and deserves respect for its accomplishments. The long wheelbase LS has good presence and elegance and it represents the most attractive Lexus I have seen to date.

Most on this forum know that I have had my issues with Lexus styling blandness for a long time, but I think that this new one in the long wheelbase has finally reached a level of styling that I will not hammer. I have not seen the car in person, of course, but even though I am a huge Euro car fan, especially the German marques, I find this new Lexus LS600hL to be an amazing achievement, IMHO.

Interesting you would reach to a Maybach to upstage it. And, yes, the Maybach is an ultimate HELM, no doubt.

I don't think it will hurt some of us German car fans to give credit where it is due. Our favorite German cars are still awesome and will not be destroyed by this Japanese achievement. But I can not stand by and deny the LS600hL its proper accolades . . . particularly on its official debut day. There will be plenty of time to discover its true nature, pros abd cons, as time unfolds.

:)

TagMan
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Good post, Tagman... Well said indeed. In fact, much better than a Lexican will say it. Are u sure u are not secretly harboring buying an LS460L or 600hL ?? :)
    Good post, Tagman... Well said indeed. In fact, much better than a Lexican will say it. Are u sure u are not secretly harboring buying an LS460L or 600hL ??

HA! :D Thanks, oac. No, I'm afraid not, but if I were to want one I'd have placed myself on one or more of the lists along with ljflx and others. And I would strongly encourage anyone who is even thinking about getting one to get on a waiting list ASAP.

TagMan
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Tagman - are you going to look at buying or leasing the new S or the LWB or hybrid LS? Right now it's scary to think about how inevitable it is that these two cars will dominate this segment in 2007.

Benzster - why? Looks real bad when you need to pull out a $350K car to beat a car that will be less than a third of its price - plus that car is not selling and has been a major disappointment.
    You might think this is ridiculous, but I somehow have found myself semi-interested in the diesel market's expansion here, and I want to see just what unfolds. I might change my mind over time, but at this moment that is where I seem to be. I am suspicious that the manufacturers are withhoding some of the information on upcoming diesels, to prevent risking loss of important current sales. Admittedly, I could easily be completely wrong about this, however. Surprised?

I will confess here, since you ask, that I have considered placing a deposit on a 2009 Porsche Panamera, however.

Yes, I agree that the LS and S will dominate. What will Audi, Jaguar, and even BMW have in their arsenals to compete?

TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,769
    I am curious as to why this auto seems to be so unpopular. I have never owned or driven one but I looked one over the other day and it was a very fine looking auto. In fact it looked as good as any I have seen lately. Some of you experts have the skinny on this car so please share. Thanks in advance.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    I believe most people find the styling rather bland. Currently, though, the M45 has the same engine, a better platform, more interior space, and all the technology one could ask for; all for less money. I did not look at the luxury appointments, but I assume the Q beats the M in that regard.

Wait a couple years and the Q will be redone (hopefully as much as the M was redone).
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Could be but I doubt it, that doesn't happen very often with luxury car makers, in fact the only difference is usually a conversion issue, not specific tweaking for different markets. I can't think of one luxury car that has more power for certain markets and less for others.

I think you guys may have hyped yourselves up a little to much and were expecting too much. Truthfully though I too expected 500hp, but it would take a miracle to get V6-like fuel economy with 500 horses of any kind.

M
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Very impressive improvement style-wise, IMO, judging by those photos.
    Long over-due!
    Even the steering wheel looks much better!
    I will be checking out the new LS 460 even though I'm a BMW man.
    Call it natural curiosity.

I also agree that HELM's will be dominated by MB and Lexus.
    People in this rarified price range usually place luxury over performance, as well they should, and hence, it is not a comfortable segment for BMW to be competing in.

Thanks for the photo link!
    I will be checking out the new LS even though I'm a BMW man.

Reading the press release, I would say that there is a huge emphasis on luxury over handling. My guess is that once it hits the showrooms, almost any BMW fan is bound to be disappointed by the LS600.