Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    OK, by my calculations, these are the signs of some of our posters (in alphabetical order). PLEASE pardon me if I left anyone out. Hey, we are in the heart of the holidays and we must be moved by the spirit of the season. No acrimony! Loosen up!

Happy Holidays to all of you, your families, your friends, your loved ones!

2001gs430 – Capricorn
    AnthonyP – Gemini
    Autoedu - Taurus
    Blckislandguy - Leo
    Blkhemi – Gemini
    Brightness04 – Aries
    Cdpinhead – Gemini
    Cyclone4 – Aquarius
    Dewey – Pisces
    Dhamilton – Gemini
    Drfill – Pisces
    Esf – Aquarius
    Garyh1 – Libra
    Houdini1 – Cancer
    Hpowders – Leo
    KarenS – Sagittarius
    Kirstie_h – Aquarius
    Laurasdada – Aries
    Lexusguy – Virgo
    Ljflx – Capricorn
    Merc1 – Taurus
    Nvbanker – Leo
    Oac – Leo
    Pat – Libra
    Pearl - Capricorn
    Reality2 – Scorpio
    Syswei – Sagittarius
    Tagman – Libra

;-)
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Hey, D-man. Sept 27 and that would make me a Libra.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I don't believe there is a totally new Jaguar since then - am I wrong on that? The car previously tested was the Mark 3, which had hit the showrooms in the Fall of 2002. Yes, they tested the Super 8 version this time, so perhaps that made the difference?

Nope you're correct, the Jaguar is the same as before, they just used a longer, more powerful version.

That was my point exactly. We agree. But that doesn't take away from the S coming out on top.

:) :D

M
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Pretty close for me - I'd be a Libra if I were born four days sooner. :)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,258
    Dead on.

Either you're really good, pretty lucky, or have access to LLSOC.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,898
    Capricorn. Another miss.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    My two posts yesterday may have had a tinge of abrasiveness and sarcasm. So pardon me and let us immediately focus on the cars again.

1) Len I neither agree or disagree with your views about how lease deals make financial sense. That all depends on the lease deal itself. Some of the lease deals I saw makes more financial sense for the dealer than the buyer.

I dont lease because I was never offered a tempting subsidized lease deal on a car that I really wanted to buy. Also I have no plans of selling my cars until passneger capacity falls behind the growth of my kids (which may happen sooner than I think).

2) But when you have anecdotal evidence that is so one-sided, unless there is some reason to believe Len's dealer is an outlier (say it was in Dubai), it becomes the best available indication of reality, and can't be ignored.

Anecdotal evidence that is one-sided may not be true at all. Unfortaunately these lease/buy arguments that recur in this forum like clockwork can never be substantiated.

You can beat me in an argument when you say Lexus LS beats the BMW 7 series in terms of reliability. In that case you have various surveys(CR, JD, Strategic Vision) that will back up your argument. In fact we are better off arguing about astrology and driving habits since there have been extensive surveys done on that matter. But unfortunately anecdotal lease/buy evidence is just not going to cut it here.
    Designman,

A Taurus does not belong in this forum. A Lincoln maybe, but certainly not a Taurus. ;)

No I am not a fish. I am a Gemini. The worst driver according to the SunCorp Metway survey and one of the best drivers according to the InsuranceHotLine study.(it's really tough when you are twins). :(
    SOURCE: MONTREAL GAZETTE

1) The quote about the LS below is a quote that has been repeated like a mantra among auto reviewers over and over and over again. The LS hit 60 miles (100km) in 7.3 second. Not impressive at all!

Where the LS 460L loses points is that it is less a driver's car and more a conveyance that transports its occupants in a sybaritic (i.e. the shiatsu massage seat) capsule as quiet and isolating as a tomb. Sure, the 380 horsepower, 4.6-litre V8 will get going when the throttle is mashed (zero to 100 kilometres per hour in 7.3 seconds), but that somehow seems declasse.

The Lexus is the perfect car for chauffeuring rulers of countries or rich captains of industry.

Price as tested: $122,700.

And below is a quote about the MB S Class that has been repeated among auto reviewers like a mantra over and over again:

2)The S550 has the best combination of styling, power and class of the trio. It won't match the S8 on a race circuit, but the Merc is no slacker. A 382 horsepower, 5.4-litre V8 propels the S550 - the longest and heaviest of the three - from zero to 100 km/h in the same time as the Audi S8, although it's 0.6 seconds slower when accelerating to 120 km/h from 80 km/h. And its 4Matic system is a match for Audi's quattro.

Where the S550 pulls away, especially from the S8, is in quality. The Mercedes personifies the purest form of luxury of the trio; it is solid and substantial, and effortless in everything it does. Exterior-wise, the S550 is as conservative as a Savile Row suit, albeit with stylish touches the equivalent of a bright red rose pinned to the lapel. Inside, the cabin is impressive, laid out in black leather and dark walnut burl, set off by chrome switches and controls that are all clearly marked and laid out - after one takes a few seconds to acclimatize - in a logical manner.

Full of features but without the gimmicks, the S550 is the perfect conveyance for those who are comfortable with their wealth.
  • Designman, you did not post you own sign, so I am guessing you're a Capricorn. This is Cap's today overview

Quickie:
    You are moving at an unconsciously high speed. Are you leaving people behind?

Overview:
    It's a good time to poke your head outside again. A fortuitous influence is now in your celestial sector, and it's time for you to live it up. It's a welcome change of pace, so get out there and enjoy it.

The speed thing must refers to your Porsche.
  • The Lexus is the perfect car for chauffeuring rulers of countries or rich captains of industry.

Price as tested: $122,700.

TMC has been kind enough to give me a 20K discount on any of their vehicles sold in NA in form of TM stock appreciation this year. I hope the share will continues its run up so I could get a bigger discount ;)
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,284
    Sorry, but I don't think there is any way in hell, the LS460L is that slow from zero to 60. Are they trying to say that the LS460L is 1.4 seconds slower than the LS430 from zero to 60? That's impossible. They must have been towing a horse trailer while testing ;-).

I am sure that if tested properly, the full production model is very close to its advertised rating of about 5.4 seconds from zero to 60.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Nice try, but I happen to be an Aries, even though I realize I am quite full of Taurus from time to time....although I am happy to be classified by you in the company of nvbanker, oac and blkislandguy. Fine posters; those three. :shades:

That was a pretty comprehensive list! But who's counting? ;)
    "I don't think you're being fair."

I agree.

Come on ljflx. You know you want to post regularly here again.

Just do it! :shades:
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,012
    Although I've never owned one, I am a Taurus. However, my sister and daughter share the same birthday and they are Sagittarius, so I've most likely been assimilated to their way of the world. :blush:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,284
    You missed on me badly D-Man. I am a Libra. This is why I am non confrontational ;-). I tend to see both sides of the issue. I always seek the truth without belligerence ;-).
  • WOW! What a car! I'm not a big sedan guy...I tend to like smaller cars (I drive an 03 Z). Sitting behind the wheel was great! Getting to drive it was even better. It was wicked fast... I think I scared the two sales guys behind sitting me.
    TEST DRIVE VIDEO & PICTURES
    :) i need to start saving my pennies!!!!!
    that horoscope thing was an excellent way of finding out who is still actively posting here. :shades:
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    Thanks Designman, very cool. For reference, though, I am a Virgo if that helps. Happy Holidays to you as well.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    A little off there Designman, I'm an Aquarius.

M
  • I've been to busy pedaling my liberal agenda to ever track down my sign. July 5, what's that make me Dman?
    HELCS are associated with affluence? Think again.

"The Millionaire Next Door" has been written ten years ago and here is an update about which car brand is Numero Uno among millionaires.

They don't drive away wealth. The No. 1 make of car owned by millionaires in 1996 was Ford. Today, it's Toyota, according to Stanley's new study. Luxury brands do not top the list, and many millionaires, 37 percent in 1996, bought used cars.

"There's certainly something about buying used cars," Stanley said. "Today, they're a little more likely to buy new cars. But what they'll do is buy a $22,000 Toyota and keep it a long time."

2) And how do BMWs rank among millionaires? In fact what is written below is relevant to not only BMWs but HELCs in general:

Stanley's research shows high-priced cars seem to be wealth-repellant.

"What's interesting about spending is that everybody thinks all the millionaires in America have BMWs. Even among the highest income levels, about 60 or 70 percent have never owned a BMW," he said. "I think BMW is a great car. I'm a car guy. But I won't buy one because there is a relationship between wealth and how much people spend for cars. There's no doubt about it. It's a significant relationship."

They don't care about the Joneses. "In a lot of the surveys we've done, you find people making 200 grand a year, which is in the top 2 percent of American households, and they're not happy," Stanley said. "Those are the people who are living in neighborhoods where the median income is $300,000. That's the problem. I don't think people really understand that. The people who try to keep up with the Joneses and ahead of the Smiths, well, they are the Smiths. They don't get it."

SOURCE: COURANT
    I've been to busy pedaling my liberal agenda to ever track down my sign. July 5, what's that make me Dman?

Dont worry on this side of the border all liberals wear their beliefs like a badge of honour.
    July 5, what's that make me Dman?

Which sign? Uh-h... Merging Traffic?

I can assure everyone I will not be going into the Astrology business. ;-)
    Interesting. I know several people who who are always Jonesin. One guy knocks out 1.5 mil a year and his wife is always moaning about people in his company who do 3... stock market.

Here check this one out. When you look at global wealth I think many of us should consider ourselves very fortunate.

…assets of just $2,200 per adult place a household in the top half of the world's wealthiest. To be among the richest 10% of adults in the world, just $61,000 in assets is needed. If you have more than $500,000, you're part of the richest 1%...

Global Study on Wealth
    Wow now I feel really rich. Well at least for a few minutes.

Now if only I bought a used Toyota instead of a BMW I would be even richer :(
    "People in the top 2 percent... and they're not happy."

Yeah. It's the same old story.

Who said money and happiness correlate positively?
    My son-in-law makes 10 mil a year and always looks miserable.
    How many of the mega-buck show business types are walking train wrecks?

Lucky are the folks who glow from within.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    D-man,
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this... but, like merc, I am also an Aquarius.
    TagMan
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I'm leaving with the family 4am Wednesday morning, and I'm busy with last minute stuff. Yes, this year it's Christmas with the in-laws and the wife's relatives. Pray for me.

Anyway, if I can sneak a post in now and then I will. Otherwise I'll visit back shortly after the New Year.

So... in that case, it's Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year from TagMan to ALL of you good folks here at the HELC(M) forum... hosts included.

Hope 2007 is good for all of us, and I know I'll be more careful with my driving from now on since my astrological sign might be prone to speeding. So THAT explains it.

God bless to all and your families, too.

TagMan
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,012
    Prayers being administered for a pleasant visit. (Hint: Eggnog, heavy on the bourbon, helps some.) Fingers crossed for safe travel. (Should we install a speed governor on your shoe?) And a happy holidays to you and your family. :)

And speaking of inlaws, I came across this joke.

Q: What is the definition of mixed emotions?

A: Watching your in-laws go off a cliff
    in your new (insert your preferred HELC here).

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.