Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I think Cadillac's system was projected onto the windshield, which makes a bit more sense. The Mercedes system would be like trying to drive while looking at a picture of the road on my NAV screen. No thanks. Here's the link to the 5th gear review:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1152169361450403274&pl=true
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    My brother has a previous-generation E320 wagon and the genius MB engineers put the screen low on the center stack, exactly where imho it makes the least sense from a safety and ergonomic standpoint. Looks like MB's new night vision is from the same school of engineering.
  • Guys take a break, it was in the lighter vein. aka humorous.
  • I think ivan 99 got it. Thanks dude, otherwise I would have felt guilty. I just want to clear the air. It was humor, thats it, lets move on.

Those feminine guys, ;) :P
  • and yes he is. :shades:
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    The concept is terrific.

However, when the goal itself is to INCREASE vision/awareness but the real-life procedure requires taking your eyes OFF the road, and therefore potentially DECREASING vision/awareness . . . then the original objective is thwarted and compromised.

I say that based upon the specifications and observations of others, as I have not tried the system for myself yet to determine whether or not it would truly be an asset.

But the concern certainly appears legitimate enough, doesn't it?

TagMan
    Oh, absolutely agreed, night vision is a good safety feature and even if the view is on the dash it is probably a net plus to safety. I haven't tried any night vision systems but the Cadillac implementation at least appears better thought out.
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    Actually, my understanding is that the heads up was distracting and studies show that the cluster is better suited for warning issues. Out of vision enough not to distract but close enough to be recognized. The Cadillac used a technology that could not spot like temperature objects. If a tree limb or boulder were in the road it would not show up. I have yet to try the MB, but the images are impressive.
    Where were other producers placing their NAVI screens in 98? I thought they all were in the center. At least there was a voice and now you can select it in the cluster.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I have yet to try the MB, but the images are impressive.

C'mon benzster . . . Schedule yourself some late hours, check it out, and get back to us! ;)

TagMan
    On the navs I am saying that putting the screen low on the center stack is less desirable than putting it high up on the center stack.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    "Audi's most powerful engine is 450hp V12"

It's not a V, instead it's a W-12. And you're right, the S cars aren't quite as edgy as the AMG or M cars. But to say that they're WAY behind is an overstatement. The car will hang in curves and keep up with the best of them, maybe not in a straight line, but definetely hold it's own. And in the typical Audi fashion, they will offer their hi-po vehicle at a much lower cost. I owned a 2002 S8, and the car was wickedly fun to drive and own. That is the primary reason we sold the CLS in favor of the upcoming S8. Not power overkill like the torquey AMG cars, and not so technologically advanced that you need a degree from MIT to operate it, much the case in the M5. The S8, get in it and go.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    The Lexus may indeed have those as options, but the LED headlamps w/ swivel will be standard on the S8. Lexus does have the one up on the night-vision, which all these systems seems gimmicky given the fact that today's HID systems are much brighter than conventional lamps. And the night-vision is yet another feature to malfunction, and in the event put more doubt on a car's reliability rating.
  • Then Audi will ask for a retraction from Lexus. I opine that there is some technical issue which we are still missing, since it looks unlikely Lexus might make such a blunder.
  • deanedelldeanedell Posts: 16
    Are you sure the Audi LEDs are not LED DRLs as opposed to LED headlights like on the Lexus? If so, that could clear up some confusion...
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The night view assist in the big Benz has thusfar been bashed as a useless techno-gimmick in at least one review. I think it was Fifth Gear that tested it, and found that it failed to show a man standing on a dark empty street that was clearly visible when looking through the windshield with regular headlights.

That is because they didn't read enough about to the system to know that the car has to be moving for the system to work. Sitting still doesn't fully activate the system. Infared headlamps don't work while the car is sitting still for liability reasons.

I have to ask has anyone here even been in the new S-Class to know whether or not the screen placement is such a danger.

syswei - Cadillac's system was positively ancient compared to Mercedes' for some of the reasons that Benzster listed. Regarding the W210 E-Class, are any of today's nav screens in one's direct field of vision? Seems to me they all still require one to look away from the road to some degree. All these things are peripheral vision things as far design goes.

M
    I haven't seen either night vision system, which I think I made clear in my post. Maybe the MB system is indeed better all around than Caddy's, I haven't paid enough attention to reviews to see any (hopefully) unbiased opinions on the subject. I do know that $50 million fighter planes tend to have heads up displays for some important functions.

On the navi screens I hope you'll admit that looking away from the road to a lesser degree (with a high-placed screen) is probably safer than looking away to a greater degree (with a low-place one)? Do you think that MB's night vision would be just as good if its screen was located a foot or more lower down?
    Infared headlamps don't work while the car is sitting still for liability reasons.

Not sure I understand, who is potentially going to be harmed by infrared lamps when the car is sitting still?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    On the navi screens I hope you'll admit that looking away from the road to a lesser degree (with a high-placed screen) is probably safer than looking away to a greater degree (with a low-place one)? Do you think that MB's night vision would be just as good if its screen was located a foot or more lower down?

Looking away from the road is pretty much looking away from the road period in my book. It really comes down to a person's peripheral vision along with that screen's placement. I see people driving that don't look like they can see period. They wouldn't be able to drive properly no matter where the screen is placed.

Not sure I understand, who is potentially going to be harmed by infrared lamps when the car is sitting still?

Me neither, but it is what it is. Who knows what MB's legal department came up with regarding liability for such a device.

M
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    If the LS600h is supposed to be a halo car, then the GS450h should also carry the torch. The 5.2 secs 0-60 puts the GS450h right at the top of it’s class. BMW posts 5.4 for the 550 even though it was clocked in under 5 secs. I’m wondering why some of you are questioning RWD for a car that is being positioned as a performance sedan.

Also, I’ve heard the GS hybrid criticized as being expensive but, if you ask me, at just $3K more than the GS430 with increased performance to boot, this seems to be the smallest hybrid increase percentage-wise, hence biggest hybrid bargain in its class to date.

The question I have with these hybrids is what kind of performance they will post after 0-60 which is equally as important. The post-60 characteristics in the low-end cars are horrible. Plus they are being criticized for their quirky application of power. Is it reasonable to assume that Lexus, Wizard of Oz that it is, has this covered? The LS600h has to have upped the ante with smoothness and consistent power transmission at the range of speed. It has to be seamless. This very well could be an Achilles heal. Maybe maybe not, but there’s some Titanic euphoria here that I raise an eyebrow to. If it was a slam dunk they would be producing these cars in quantity. As it stands the GS450h will only have 2K cars produced in the first year.

That said, I look forward driving the GS450h if it will be possible considering the limited production. It is at hand and is the performance-hybrid torch bearer here and now. It has the vaunted performance advancements that people are gushing over with the LS600h. I fully expect the latter to exhibit similar if not identical performance characteristics.

From Automobile mag on the GS450h:

“Floor the gas and hold it there, and you do get the sustained engine note that characterizes a CVT drivetrain-and bothers some drivers-but that's the only remaining whiff of unconventionality.”

“Lexus makes much of the performance of the GS450h, and the numbers are indeed impressive. But the car is too computerized to really speak to the enthusiast driver the way, say, the BMW 5-series does. Still, the GS450h is a technological tour de force. We just wonder if its hybrid heart is in the right place.”

If anyone thinks the LS600h will not garner similar commentary and slam dunk the performance crowds, even the luxury crowds, you could be kidding yourself. Like a musician who shows up at an audition for the New York Philharmonic, there’s no room for bluster, you have to play the instrument. Also, the press has been infatuated with fuel efficiency, just like the rest of the general public. Wait until they can truly focus on performance and these cars get into the hands of the performance buyers, then we will get a much better read.

These cars aren’t even a slam dunk for Lexicans. I’m hearing stories about interest but not many have come forth with purchase intentions. I have to believe many of them are standing on the sidelines just like most others, wondering deep down if the early models will hold their resale or become obsolete quickly with upgraded versions ensuing, wondering when the mainstream products will appear and take root, wondering if they are worth the price premium right now. Sure, there will be someone else buying them, right?

Keep an eye on Camry and the GS450h. The hybrid generation is in its ninth month of pregnancy. The birth of mainstream hybrid is this Fall and the birth of performance hybrid is in May. Will they be boys or girls? Doesn’t matter, as long as they're healthy.

;-)
    If anyone thinks the LS460h [sic] will not garner similar commentary and slam dunk the performance crowds, even the luxury crowds, you could be kidding yourself.

I, for one, think the LS600 is very likely to disappoint the performance afficionados. The Lexus press release is tilted toward luxury. I suspect that the hp being "only" 430+ may be the result of detuning toward the luxury end of the spectrum.