Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Have you driven one? I asked lexusguy if he has. I have not.

Heavens no, I wish! What has me about the Quattroporte is the interior, styling, and the sheer sound of it, which I have been fortunate enough to hear close up a few times. The Quattroporte also manages to be something that no other car is in this class - exclusive. Even in the richest of areas you won't see many Quattroportes while Mercedes and BMWs are a dime a dozen. Maser and Aston-Martin have managed to increase their sales dramatically in the last few years, yet you don't see them that often. Even the once super-exclusive Bentley is as common as a S-Class or 7-Series in some areas.

M
    Nah the trunk doesn't bother me, only that rear wheel arch does in certain colors like Silver on cars without the AMG package. I still haven't been able to see one on the highway in order to perform my 2-3 lane test on how good it really looks. I think the best way to judge a car's looks is to ride beside one on the highway, preferably on 3 or 4 lane highway in which you can put at least one lane between you and the car in question. Then drop back a little so you can see the car from a rear 3/4 view while at speed. Then of course align yourself in the same position as the car in question, but still a lane or two over to see the side profile. Thest test will tell you all you need to know about a car's styling, IMO.

M
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I just wonder if the "Q" just has a certain mystique about it that makes us place it highter on our list than it truly deserves, if you know what I mean.

BTW, the new Bentley Continental GTC is such a terrific looking convertible. The root design is stellar without resorting to any gimmicks. I absolutely love its appearance.

Let's go drive (I didn't say "buy") that Quattroporte . . . and quit wishing! ;)

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Definitely make it a point to drive one. I've driven the car on two occasions, its absolutely amazing. The suspension can go from firm but comfortable to "AMG killer" with the push of a button. Maserati's SMG is much better now than it was a few years ago, but it still definitely isnt as good as Audi's gold standard DSG. Keep it in manual though, and its a perfect match to the Ferrari 4.3L engine, matching revs as you downshift and letting you use every ounce of the engine's power, for a 0-60 dash in about 5 flat. No tip-tronic comes close.
    I just wonder if the "Q" just has a certain mystique about it that makes us place it highter on our list than it truly deserves, if you know what I mean.

Could be since I've never driven it. I think very highly of it, but for the daily grind and more straight-line oomph I think the Airmatic AMG cars are the better compromise or something like the S8. Then there is the issue of wanting/needing to keep shifting gears in the Quattropore. I suspect that would get tiring after a while and/or in everyday traffic, but for fun and 4-doors I don't see anything topping the Maser except the M5.

I detest all these newer Bentley's looks so we disagree there.

M
    What exactly about the trunk don't you like? The Maybach look??

M
    Ha . . . I like your highway design test. You might remember that I got a highway peek at a gun-metal gray new S-Class back when they first came out, and I was surprised to see it at the time. It looked great.

There is a new silver S-Class that is in my community and sits about a mile from my home in front of this family's house in their circular driveway, and I'd swear they leave it outside just to show it off or something, because it is never parked inside the garage (unless the garage is full with Bentley and Ferrari or something . . . ha ha).

But, I drive by that direction over there almost every day and I'm telling you, man, that trunk has grown little by little every day until it is now a monster of a trunk. :)

TagMan
    I detest all these newer Bentley's looks

detest is a strong word . . . says a lot.

Even the Continental GTC? Oh well, go ahead, break my heart. :)

TagMan
    Yeah I can't stand the styling on these new "Bentleys". The coupe in particular looks like a shoe or boot of some type to me. I think its the VWish looking front fenders. The Flying Spur (or Brick as I call it elsewhere) looks somewhat better, but next to the Arnage these new Bentleys just don't look right to me. Now the convertible I haven't seen in person so I'll reserve judgement. Convertibles have been known to look better than their hardtop counterparts. ;)

Don't get me wrong these new Bentleys have a presence on the road that shades any Mercedes(save the SLR)/BMW/Jaguar, but they aren't beautiful like Aston-Martins or stunning like Ferraris or Lamborghinis and they lack the old-world aristocrat look of the Arnage.

Its the same thing I've always said about the BMW 7-Series. It is also a very big, bold, and attention getting car, but pretty or beautiful it is not.

I am curious to know what Lexusguy thinks of these new Bentleys.

M
    Maserati is working on a conventional automatic for the Quattroporte to make the car more appealing to customers coming from Benz or BMW.

The Bentley Continental GT reminds me a bit of Jaguar's R-coupe concept from a few years ago. Its a good looking car, but I agree that it doesn't come close to something like a V8 Vantage. Now that you mention it, I can see the VW cues.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-jkl/Jaguar-R-Coupe-Concept-FA-1024x768.jpg
    What exactly about the trunk don't you like? The Maybach look??

On the new S - as you look at the rear quarter panel, the trunk seems to sit raised up as a platform that reveals a seam that is narrower as well and above the rear quarter panels on both sides. It is at these left and right locations that the trunk does not integrate properly for my eye . . . especially on that silver car.

I have only seen the Maybach in photos and I have not had the privilege of seeing one in person. From all the many pics I have seen, I like it very much. The trunk does not bother me.

Maybe the best color for the new S is black.

TagMan
    I wonder if the V12 version of the Quattroporte is still on for next year? I hate that the technical alliance between Maser and Audi fell apart because Audi's DSG tranny would have been a brilliant stroke in a car like the Quattroporte.

Oh its the DB9 that does it for me, there isn't a better looking car in production or on the road IMO. The V8 Vantage is a looker too, but its more a of smaller copy of the original IMO. It doesn't look quite a good to me.

M
    I guess I've never really noticed what you're talking about on the new S, it was always the wheel arches that bothered me until I started seeing them on the road and in different colors other than silver. The wheel arches seem to be a perfect match for the AMG package though. I posted some pics in a earlier thread of the S with and without the AMG pack.

M
    Now the convertible I haven't seen in person so I'll reserve judgement. Convertibles have been known to look better than their hardtop counterparts.

Yes, they often do. Somehow though I'm not going to hold my breath that you're going to like the GTC.

Interestingly, I don't see the Jag R concept linkage that lexusguy sees. Actually, I haven't been a big fan of that R concept. I do like the current XK, however, although I'll concede that the "snout", as you call it, is a tad compromised. I learned that it was somehow due to some sort of safety compliance thing in Europe that requires a car's front to buckle in the event of hitting a pedestrian. Sounds bizarre to me.

TagMan
    Dont know about the V-12. Most of the news about the car getting the 575M's motor is a year old, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Yes, they often do. Somehow though I'm not going to hold my breath that you're going to like the GTC.

No I wouldn't suggest that...lol!

Yes the new Euro pedestrian laws are going to make designing beautiful cars that much harder. The next generation Mercedes CLK and SL will have to comply so I cringe to think what they'll look like. The new CL will give some indication as to how Mercedes will deal with the new regs. Porsche got lucky here since they don't currently make any front-engined cars. The mandate is that there be a certain amount of space between the hood and the uppermost hard point of the engine. This is one reason why Mercedes is getting rid of supercharged engines, that supercharger sits right at the top of the engine. Though they do a hell of a job with the front end of the new S-Class, but you can still see the thickness of the hood in the styling. Same thing on the new Lexus LS and Volvo S80 both have really thick looking hoods.

M
    The wheel arches seem to be a perfect match for the AMG package though. I posted some pics in a earlier thread of the S with and without the AMG pack

I remember those pics. The AMG S looked impressive indeed.

Next time you see the S, take a good look at the trunk from the rear diagonal view. Don't just look at it from a standing height, but look at it from another driver's height. It may or may not bother you, but I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

TagMan
    Next time you see the S, take a good look at the trunk from the rear diagonal view. Don't just look at it from a standing height, but look at it from another driver's height. It may or may not bother you, but I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

Ok, I'll try that.

Here is a video on topic about the cars we were talking about a few post back.

M
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Thanks for the good wishes, Tagman.

You know, $109k for the Q isn't really outrageous when compared to new S-Class and LS offerings and it would definitely be unique to the neighborhood but alas, also to parking attendants and rolling shopping carts.

I too would love to drive that baby.
    Those front seats look fabulous!
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Aren't many new cars already designed in accordance with the regs? In addition to the distance between hood and engine the shape of the bumper and grille is also regulated. The idea is to flip the passenger onto a cushioned hood without the bumper breaking legs. It's an interesting concept and they could take it to the nth degree if so desired which would virtually neuter styling considerations. I also think the hood height reg is what caused beltines to rise resulting in all of the slab sides we now see.