Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I'm glad to hear you've wiped the AM off your list. That leaves you with the SL and XKR comparo if you go automatic transmission. Both are terrific cars, and I wouldn't worry about the SL looking like the CLK. The SL is distinctive enough, IMO, and one good look distinguishes it as the one and only SL. The 550 is much better than the 500 was and it's a good thing you've waited. I loved the SL550 on my test drive, but I wanted a manual transmission so I got the 911.

The XK I drove was not the XKR, but I was amazed at how quick it was. It had a transmission problem, however. It would not properly go in or out of automatic mode when I tried to use it manually, and the gears would not shift as they were supposed to when making the change. After some intervention it would suddenly decide to cooperate for a while, but then it would be tempermental again. That aside, it was still an incredible drive and I can only imagine the extra power of the XKR would be fantastic.

I'm a bit biased about my love for Jags, so I'm secretly hoping you get the XKR if you go automatic, but I objectively know you would be happy with either the XKR or the SL550.

Now, as I mentioned yesterday, if you go with the stick, there is no way you will not want the Porsche 911. It is the best of them and will give you so much fun in a nice size package. Not too bloated , but not too small. There is a surprising amount of room behind the front seats, and only a moderate amount under the front. Driver's seat is the most comfortable of them all, IMO. It is perfectly supportive and yet comfy. If you are into cruising, get the XKR or the SL, but if you are really into driving, get the 911. Sure, you can still cruise, but man, when you hit those nice roads, you'll understand why your in a 911.

Anyway, good luck with your test drives. That's ultimately what you need to do. We're just virtual guys on the internet, and you're the one spending the bucks. Whatever you do... have fun.

TagMan
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    You're very welcome.

So long the sales volume is expanding, the ponzi scam can continue.

Hmmm. . .just as I suspected. The only difference between Amway & BMW (in this context) is the price of the product. I guess this is yet one more reason to lease heavily subsidized vehicles -- those who own when the house of cards collapses are in an even worse situation.

Note to Pat -- I'm just tying up a loose end here. I'm done now, honest.

Note to brightness -- There are a number of leasing boards on Edmunds. Do you participate on any of them?
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Hmmm. . .just as I suspected. The only difference between Amway & BMW (in this context) is the price of the product. I guess this is yet one more reason to lease heavily subsidized vehicles -- those who own when the house of cards collapses are in an even worse situation.

Pat

since a few members have indulged themselves in expressing their last opinions on leases I hope I can respond to the above comment (this will be my last post on leases)

Cdnpinhead,

Nope as far as reality is concerned BMW is not at all like a multilevel player like Amway.

Resale values (acutal used car prices) for BMWs are among the highest in the industry. The high residual are a product of those high actural resale values. Oh yes BMW subsidizes their residuals like any other auto firms. But because of the higher reslae values for BMW their residual are higher than other auto firms. The high demand for used BMWs are what makes high residuals possible
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Driving past my old Mitsu dealership I spotted a 1990 W126 S-Class so I stopped by (Sunday dealers are closed though). The car is in unbelievable shape for what is basically a 17 year old car. It is a 1990 420SEL with only 75K on the clock, some pics from their website:

I forget who had one of these here, was it you LG?

M
    Our MB300D keeps on going and going and looks great.

I can still recall the 80s when visiting my parent's condiminion I was offered by their neighbors a 66 MB S Class or SE Class (cant recall since back then I didn't pay much attention to cars as I do now) that happened to be in great condition with low mileage for only a few thousands of dollars. I refused because I was scared about its maintenance --oh how I truly regret that decision. :sick:
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    Let me talk some sense in to you ;)

You have a garage full of great cars to drive. Go get that beautiful Aston Martin. For the simple pleasure of advancing the art of art.

For art's sake blhemi. [I'm shaking you firmly by the shoulders now]

Drive your many other awesome cars, when the Vantage is in the shop.

The others are great. They have purpose. They are all awesome.

But the Aston is just on another planet. If Micheangelo painted a car on that chapel. If Deniro played a car, in a movie. If Scorsesee directed it. If Pam Anderson.....well you get my point.

In case I wasn't clear. Sense when is this purchase about what makes sense? Let the rest of the cars in your garage fill that roll.
    If Deniro played a car, in a movie. If Scorsesee directed it. If Pam Anderson.....well you get my point.

Pam Anderson in Taxi Driver? I dont think so! But definitely Borat.
    Oh I'm sure. If this were a 1990 500SL or 1992 500E I'd go for it, but the 420SEL isn't high up enough on my "older Mercedes I want to own list".

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I forget who had one of these here, was it you LG?

My '90 Benz was a 300E. My S-class was the next generation.
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    Luxury Car: “Most Respected” – Lexus LS 460
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    ”With the PASM system it didn't rattle my teeth like the 996 Cab I drove…”

Glad you mentioned it because this has been festering with me. It’s amazing how the Carrera is evolving toward techno-luxury sport and forsaking the visceral, elemental attraction of the sports car. It has passed a threshold that I am willing to accept. I went shopping for a 911 at the end of the year and I finally got to drive a couple of 997 setups with and without PASM, both C2 and C2S and was thoroughly let down. I haven’t driven a GT3 yet but I think this might be where one has to go to get the characteristics of the 911 as we once knew it.

Equally disappointing is the recognition the 911 still gets in the press. They allude to its refinement but the writers seem reluctant to be overly critical which is testament, I think, to the 911 icon and its racing success in previous years. Then again, it still sprints, darts and wails like hardly any other.

However, it might be an older 911 for me and I have yet to decide which way I want to go. As far as I’m concerned, a sports car must rattle one’s teeth and have uncompromising feedback from the road. What with active steering, the level of power assist in the steering, the electronic damping of the suspension which is necessary to compensate for these low-profile tires, there’s a disconnect with this 997. The mechanical damping in the non-PASM version has also been softened, courtesy of this low-profile bling scourge.

After following Porsche and driving many of them since my first ride in one in the 70s, I never thought I would come to the day when I wouldn’t want a new Carrera. I am willing to give it more test drives, especially if they can give me a loaner, but I really think this day has come. And to think I was pretty ready to buy. It just felt too good getting back into my 986, feeling my teeth rattle and having every road undulation speak to me. I certainly didn’t feel this way after driving a 996 loaner. I was reluctant to give it up.

First BMW succumbs to the lure of technology with all of its illusions, and now this. What a shame in my opinion.
    Oh ok, you had a W140 S420 right?

M
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    IS-F and LF-A

Interestingly, the IS-F looks to be substantially slower 0-60 than the hybrid FT-HS described here.
    I'm looking at the Lexus concepts. The IS-F looks to be a non-event to put it lightly. A 0-60 time of "less than 4.9 secs" puts its performance at the same level as the IS350. That doesn't make sense so I expect a 4.5 sec 0-60 time in real world testing or else the IS-F is pointless.
    The side scoops are very fast and furious looking.

Now the LF-A is really shaping up, there is some real potential there. It looks really slick and once the details are finalized for production they could really be on to something.

M
    The side scoops are very fast and furious looking.

Wow, I absolutely hate it. The IS350 is a good looking car, this is not. It reminds me of the Volvo S60R which also has all of that unnecessary body kit junk to disguise the fact that its not that good. Why couldn't they take a page from the S4 or M3? Flare the fenders a bit, darken the headlamps, and give it some mean looking wheels. Leave the rest alone. Let the performance speak for itself.

What were they thinking with those vertical stacked exhausts? Absolutely hideous. At least that part can be changed relatively easily.
    Oh ok, you had a W140 S420 right?

Yep, a '93.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    It may have possibly been me in which you were inferring to.

I had a '91 560 SEL classic. Damn I miss that car.
    Yeah it does look a little overdone. You would think it was supercharged or turbocharged going by that huge bulge in the hood. I guess that is to clear the V8 and pass the European pedestrian regs. Of course I'll be looking for this car this weekend.

Wow you had an early W140, a Panzer.

M
    Oh ok, got it. This particular 420SEL is in just unbelievable shape, very tempting.

M
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    The GT3 is a very harsh suspension that you would likely not enjoy at all on a regular basis. The PASM offers both normal and sport settings. I've been driving this Carrera S regularly, and I can tell you that there is a definite difference between the normal and sport settings. I've driven previous Carreras and years ago even owned a previous generation Carrera. You know my serious driving tastes, so I can assure you that the sport setting is stiff enough to the point that I often prefer to turn it off and enjoy the normal setting. I don't have an issue with PASM, and I've driven this car hard. There is always something to nit pick at I suppose, but the latest 911 has also answered a big complaint about the interior refinement. It is absolutely the best interior they have ever produced.

Sure the GT3 will rattle you silly, but I would never want that on a regular basis. I tried that with the Lotus Elise, all the while thinking the Porsche was too soft, but eventually I got realistic again. The PASM sport setting is more than adequate to get anyone's adrenaline rushing... and on a regular basis to boot.

TagMan
    Lexus may have a car that actually makes it onto my hot list. This LF-A concept is really shaping up to be something.

Dare I say there is some Porsche or Aston-Martin (gulp!) in it. Just like I said when the original concept was shown, the proportions are right, the only thing that needs work is the front snout. I actually like the rear cooling ducts. Now come on Lexus don't muck up this when production time comes!

M
    LG there is definitely some disfigurement going on here:

The hood bulge is no doubt because of the Euro pedestrian regs, but it tells me that Lexus didn't initially plan on a V8 for the IS.

M
    Here's a nice gallery for those who haven't seen it:

gallery
    Oh yes, with a few tweaks this could turn out to be the first "hot" Lexus.

M
    We'll get you to buy a Lexus someday! And I'll buy an MB.
    Anything could happen, but I think this LF-A is going to be a little bit beyond my reach. :D

M
    You're a young guy compared to most of us, I think. Who knows what will happen down the road, financially? Or maybe a used one will be in your future.

I am wondering where they'll price it. I think just over 100k would be a smart way to do it, if they want to sell reasonable volumes.
    I am wondering where they'll price it. I think just over 100k would be a smart way to do it, if they want to sell reasonable volumes.

Good question. I think you're right, somewhere in the 911 C4S\Turbo\V8 Vantage level would work. They definitely won't pull any buyers away from a Gallardo or F430.
    What do you guys think? Who's going to win this one?

You're a young guy compared to most of us, I think. Who knows what will happen down the road, financially? Or maybe a used one will be in your future.

True. :D

M