Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I will post my impressions at that time. Hopefully, I will pay enough attention so I won't be actually driving an ES by mistake-a sure characteristic of a third plateauer.

hpowders . . . just remember . . . you have the right to remain silent. Anything you post can and will be used against you.

Caution . . . Merc will surely be able to retrieve any data you post at a moment's notice, without warning. ;)

:D

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    "Anything you post can and will be used against you."

I will make sure I have a double espresso the morning I drive the LS.
    Can't risk regressing into third plateau dementia and mistaking the IS for the LS-could get downright embarrassing. I don't know how many times I can use the excuse, "it was dark."

Happened to me already when I thought I was driving the GS 430 and it was really the GS 300. The business guy from Joisey caught me on that one!

What a revoltin' development that was!
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Funny, I'd never have imagined that a Navy town would be big on conspicuous consumption. Does San Diego really have more HELMs on a per 1000 car basis than say Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Las Vegas, LA, etc? Someone could do an R L Polk analysis on this and pick up an MA.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Funny, I'd never have imagined that a Navy town would be big on conspicuous consumption. Does San Diego really have more HELMs on a per 1000 car basis than say Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Las Vegas, LA, etc?

No kidding.... would be a nice study to perform. Last I checked, San Diego has LOTS of uber-rich folks. Realtors, retirees, techies, bankers, energy speculators, Hollywood recluses, insurance execs, golf magnates, biotech execs, and of course, home to the US Pacific Naval Fleet, and the accompanying military-industrial complex ! It has been shown that Rancho Santa Fe (92091) is on the top 5 richest zipcode in America, located a couple miles to my home - tho' physically close, but miles apart in bank statements.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050508/news_1h08rancho.html

Rumor has it that a few years ago, one gentleman outbid everyone else for an oceanfront home here in La Jolla, by a whopping $40 Million over the asking price !!! Now that is a grand purchase, and one that would fit Steve's definition of *premium* or "quantum leap" in pricing... :) An uber-HELM purchase, to be exact...
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yeah that may have been a little harsh because I do like Katherine too, but I guess overall this year was the worst group of finalist in the history of the competition, IMO of course.

My money is on Chris now though I can't (won't) make time to watch it anymore..still upset about Paris, Mandisa, Ace all having been voted off.

Oh, well we both know that this whole thing is driven by age and looks to a point and the singing just happens to be the cover.

See any interesting HELMS today?

M
    I have friends who live in La Jolla that I had first met when I lived in Maui for about three years. Wow . . . San Diego, La Jolla, and area are top notch due to incredible weather and beaches. If you like great restaurants, the area is loaded with 'em.

oac is living in a great area indeed.

I'm also a Californian, but relatively closer to Silicon Valley area / S.F. Bay area. Our area does have the number ONE richest zip code in Atherton, and number 6 in Marin county.

Truthfully, the entire area out here is so economically powerful it is almost ridiculous. But there is something to be said for that "sunshine tax".

And to paint a fair and balanced picture, there are also some areas that you would not want find yourself alone at night.

As oac can tell you, home prices are usually beyond many folks wildest imagination. The secret out here has always been to purchase real estate as soon as possible and keep working your way up as fast as possible to keep building more and more equity.

There is a magazine called "Unique Homes" that often showcases some of the nations top real estate from various areas, and it gives a glimpse into some of these markets. Also, for fun, you can go to some of the internet real estate sites and click on various areas around the country and see just what is on the market and how much it costs. It's a real eye-opener!!!

Personally, I love California. Yeah, there are a few too many "fruits and nuts", but nowadays they are everywhere, anyway. Recently, we went skiing and snowboarding on a Friday and surfing at the beach the next day, Saturday. Now, that's truly amazing to me. Then there are those giant redwoods and Yosemite and so much more.

I have some friends that just moved to New Jersey (job thing), and said it was absolutely beautiful. So, it just goes to show . . .it's a beautiful country we all live in, that's for sure.

But then again there's those guys from Long Island with 19-car garages! And those lucky Europeans are the ones that get the diesels . . . go figure. ;)

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    is great if you live there, but if you don't, try and find a parking space!

Ah. Good old 94027, tagman. Very nice!
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    I have to agree. My son lives in La Jolla(techno overload geek) and there are some pretty nice HELM's there that makes Rodeo Drive look like a strip mall(He drives a Lambo Murecilago, and I thought that was something until I saw a Porsche Carrera GT-twice the price). It's like the further south in SoCal, the better. During my years in Orange County(uber-rich Newport Beach-Balboa Estates), I saw more HELM's there than in LA, you'd think it would be vice versa.

Beyond belief, one would think that places like Southern Florida, Vegas, even rich-ole Houston Tex would have more of them. But here on the east coast, I'm seeing more and more very high-end exoctics(saw my first Enzo on this coast last week, and the guy down the street from me just purchased his Flying Spur). But we're still far behind other parts of the country.
    One other very cool fact about HELMS and cars in general in California is that the milder climate and sunny weather cause less wear and tear to the vehicles. Years ago the difference between a used East-coast car and a California car was much more dramatic, particularly regarding rust and body damage, but modern manufacturing techniques have improved a lot in that area. But there is still a general advantage to a California car, IMO.

TagMan
    (Pssst... Oac shows a not-so-hidden weakness for bimmers. He could be here soon enough.)

A not-so-hidden weakness ??? My dear Designman, my love for BMW has never been hidden ! It's just that I like Lexus just a tad more .... My wife's favorite HELM style-wise remains the 750i... I told her she needs to see the new LS before she decides a favorite... I hope the LS is better styled than the Bimmer, otherwise I won't hear the end of it if I choose to buy an LS460 instead of the Bimmer. Personally, I like the 3-er the most. Give me a 330i w/SP in silver/black, or an IS350 w/ML/Nav in red/tan, and I am a happy camper. The way I drive, I sure need an aggresive car, while the LS serves as a change of pace car for me. For my money, that IS350 looks far more aggresive than the Bimmer, so if I had a choice it'd be a tough one b/w the two... 5 years from now, with both of my kids in College, and a need to downsize from the big LX470 to a coupe/convert/sports car, then I'd see which one to take b/w an IS500/IS coupe, a 335ci w/SP, a Boxter, or something else in that $40-60K range in a true sport sedan/coupe... who knows what it'll be?
    I totally agree with you on this one. The drier air does wonders for the cars in the way they maintain their "newness". In the older days, it used to be a statement to advertise a car as a "California" car, meaning that because of the mostly sunny and dry conditions, the car was in better shape than say a wet-from-the-winter New York-owned car.

The only drawback(s) that a person would have on buying a Cali car is the Cali emissions(a few hp less than all other states), and if the car is used everyday, which can mean the car was idled extensively if driven in LA Freeway traffic.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Oac, you don’t sound like your ol’ self with regard to the new LS but I’d be surprised if you didn’t buy it. I gather you like the 07 3-series coupe? Please elaborate.

The way I drive, I sure need an aggresive car…

With an LS an LX you can’t rationalize trading the Matrix for the roller coaster ride? Heh, heh, it's easy helping people spend their money.

;-)
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Tagman, speaking of fruits and nuts, half the people I talk with from the Left Coast have this Kato Catlin (of O J fame) non-linear way of thinking. If you know what I mean, dude.
  • drfillldrfilll Posts: 9
    Representin' H-Town, haven't seen many HELMs, outside of more than a couple SC430s and a Shelby Cobra. But then again, I do live in the Po' side of town.

Kinda makes me wonder, does the Lincoln LT count? If so, I know where the customer base resides.

Oac

I'm surprised! Sounds like you have yet to see the Next LS? Having seen it live, and on tape, the styling is easily better than the S or 7, by generally taking less risks, while executing on the style upgrades they tried to make (Rocker panels, exhaust, chrome greenhouse surround, LED headlights).

Drove the 745/750 for a spell. When you are right up next to it, it seems like a very aggressive design for the old-money set. And it takes door chimes to an Amedeus-level! Didn't expect a concerto without my iPod locked and loaded!

DrFill
    Tagman, . . . half the people I talk with from the Left Coast have this Kato Catlin (of O J fame) non-linear way of thinking. If you know what I mean, dude.

There's a certain style here, but it's often too easily misunderstood by Easterners. But I'd say that some folks are better represented by a slightly re-worded line from the animated movie Shark Tales, . . . "Deep down, they are very superficial".

Anyway, I thank God that Steve Kilburn is from New Jersey, because otherwise he'd have ALL of us out here in California totally misrepresented . . . he's Right Coast . . . if you know what I mean, dude. ;)

TagMan
    Oac, you don’t sound like your ol’ self with regard to the new LS but I’d be surprised if you didn’t buy it.

Au contraire... I am certainly an LS460 buyer, sight unseen; I have said that repeatedly, even tho' I have NOT seen the car in person yet. Pics, I hear, do not do the new LS justice enough, especially the 600hL. I am so much looking forward to seeing the new LS series soon. For the life of me, I could not believe Lexus didn't even let us on the Left Coast see this car ! How so ? I mean, 50% of the LS460/600hL buyers reside right here in SoCal, so why diss us this way, Lexus ?

I gather you like the 07 3-series coupe? Please elaborate.

I saw a cameo of the new 3-er coupe (front and back) and it didn't look that pretty to me. Like I said, its 5-yrs away before I can justify downsizing the family truck once we become an empty-nester home... When the time comes to buy a sport sedan/coupe/convertible, I will ALWAYS consider a Bimmer... especially a 3-er. I was seriously thinking of an IS350/330i last year but the LX470 won... You know why, right ? :):) I drive my friends' e46 330ci/MT enough to love that car... BTW, me no likey the 5 or 7 !!

With an LS an LX you can’t rationalize trading the Matrix for the roller coaster ride?

Hehehehe.... That's a good one... The wife would not mind me getting rid of the Matrix, but I won't hear it. Need I repeat my oft stated love for my little Trix ? That car is very deceptive in speed. Its a damn dog going up the hill, but on flat or curvy roads, the car rocks... I am often at 90mph without even knowing it. Yes, I admit, I am lead-footed. Got to be out here, as you dang know very well Designman. You must be as well, I suppose, with a Boxter and a 530i... if you are not, I'd be shocked !!
    Oac

I'm surprised! Sounds like you have yet to see the Next LS? Having seen it live, and on tape, the styling is easily better than the S or 7, by generally taking less risks, while executing on the style upgrades they tried to make (Rocker panels, exhaust, chrome greenhouse surround, LED headlights).

DrFill: Hope you are feeling much better now. No, I haven't seen the new LS series yet, sucks ! The pics are great looking tho', but nothing like seeing it in person, I'm sure. Got a call from my local Lex dealer that they were taking deposits. So I am on the list - Numero diez. Still think I should wait till March/April 2007 when the 600hL gets here to see if Lexus will deal on the LS460... I can hope, can't I ? BTW, the LED headlights are only on the 600hL. That car will be tough to beat when it gets here.
  • benzsterbenzster Posts: 152
    Something I thought was interesting.... My sister in law was driving an ES and replaced it with an RX300. She loves Lexus for all the reasons that everyone states. She is an empty nester and just replaced it with a top of the line Camry. Go figure right. About 2 weeks ago she stated that her next car was going to be a BMW. I thought, no way, has she even driven one? She said she wanted a "sporty hugging the road" kind of car. I suggested that she drive my CLK350 to see if maybe the handling and ride might be an easier transition for her. After driving she said it was very luxurious but not sporty enough. Well I was very surprised! One more for the German side! Maybe I will put her in a CLK6.5 hehehe
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    A few 07' model questions:

1. Any price increase on the E-Class for 07'?

2. In the new issue of Star there is a article about the diesels in which they confirm that a S320 will be added to the U.S. lineup early next year, any info as to whether it will be a LWB or SWB model?

Unfortunately it implies that Mercedes is still wrangling with the EPA on how to sell these cars in those remaining 5 states so the ones coming this fall and early next year are 45 state only.

3. The S65 AMG's price please?????

4. Why oh why aren't the M and R getting the new V8s for 2007 when every other Mercedes is?

Just a few questions sir....

M
    I haven't read anything on any price increases on the E-Class, despite the mild refreshening and the use of the 5.5L V-8 in the E550. The E63 is said to increase only nominally so. No biggie for arguably my favorite mid-size luxury, the super E55/upcoming E63(used to be the RS 6 before Audi pulled the plug on it, but the Euro's are still enjoying the M5 beating beast on the new A6 platform). Can't wait to drive the car as the E55 scared the living daylights out of me.(Hope they've dialed down ESP and dialed UP ABC and reworked Airmatic and brakes, like the CLS's system)

As for the diesels, I've talked with my Jeep rep and he has confirmed to me that they will sell a variant of the Bluetec in the JGC and Commander, and possibly the Liberty, for the '08 model year. And they will get MB's 7-Gtronic tranny as the new engine is "supposedly" built around it, unlike that of the outgoing 3.2 CDI, which remains with MB's 5-speed Auto. So what does this means for MB? Judging from past marketing strategies, I don't think they'll let the Jeep come to market before the MB's are released. Maybe in unison, but not before. And I also here that Audi will encroach on the growing NA diesel market with release of their super clean(same technology as used on Bluetec, super-high capacity particulate and soot trap with only water vapor to exit the exhaust pipe) 3.0L V-6 TD that the Europeans have been boasting about since it's inception in '04. Hopefully the both of them will stick to the game plan.

As to the S65's pricing, I read in Autocar that the S65 won't stray far from it's '06 pricing, meaning about 170k. Then I heard to expect a price of about 173-175k, not too far off the mark. The new S-Class' price hasn't increased drastically, so I don't think the car would be priced to far off the mark. The S63 isn't that far off the S55's mark. The only S to be priced drastically higher(so to speak) is the S600, but that's because they wanted the flagship model to have every possible option standard, except of course the eventual interior upgrades.

I wondered too why the M and R aren't getting the new V8's for '07. The only new V-8 going in the M is the 6.2L for the ML63. But I've heard talks of the 4.7L out of the GL to be offered in the ML, to be priced 3-4 grand less than the bigger V-8. We'll see.