Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    It's time to agree to disagree and move on.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Houdini, The base price is relevant only to the level that it includes enough typical equipment. In other words, a $59K vehicle would only need $1K worth of options/accessories to qualify. In real life, you would be hard pressed to find a GL selling anywhere under $60K, and real-life prices typically and easily reach into the $60's, $70's and beyond.

Therefore the spirit and intention of the $60K price arena is more than met by real-life pricing, and further the GL represents MB's top tier SUV, and that also gives further merit to it's inclusion here. It's pretty darned obvious, for goodness sakes.

BTW, there is nothing wrong, IMO, with your preference for an LX470, however the Range Rover is indeed quite an incredible SUV. If its reliability was a bit better it would be even more appealing, IMO.

TagMan
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Hmm, not sure about that after a '71 Hemi Cuda got 2.2 mil at auction. Veyron brings some serious numbers to the table starting with only 300 being made and being sold at a loss to the company. ...

But there were only 11 of those Hemi Cudas ever made, and not all of those are in existance anymore. With 300 of the Veyrons running around, It probably won't reach that kind of value. The main thing that makes American muscle so desirable nowadays is the fact that they were actually obtainable by the middle-class man. The Veyron is unobtainable by anybody other than the richest of the rich. And for a car that starts out that high to ever become a collector's item, it has to be a superluxury saloon. What sports car that costs that relative kind of money has ever fetched the bucks of a rare, superluxury saloon on the collector's market? I don't think any. I could be wrong.

The Shelby Cobra doesn't count. As expensive as it was in its day, a person still didn't have to heat their home with the flames of $100 bills to be able to buy one.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Glad to hear someone else think real life pricing matters, for a change. The real life pricing for GL450 is $699/mo according to MBUSA. At that price, it's getting mighty close to the $750/mo cut-off line that I proposed earlier for HELC. On the other hand, if we just stick with MSRP, MBUSA says GL MSRP is $53.1k, and GL450 MSRP is $55.6k, missing the $60k line by quite a wide margin. Incidentally, I suggested earlier that a real-life after-all-discount cash price of $52k would better describe the substance behind a $60k MSRP. On the GL, it really shows what the equivalent price points are when there's relatively little financial engineering by the manufacturer messing with the numbers.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    merc1, you're on fire with these posts. One after another- banging them out!

But you're starting to sound like AutoSpies in your fervor. The LS, while I wouldn't pick it over the German three, is a fine car. New one addresses the style issue (somewhat), and gives it a very good engine. Believe me, you don't want to end up like AutoSpies.

You have no idea how sick I am of hearing about "reliability" and "#1 in America." Hell on Earth doesn't seem to be a myth, after all. At least for car fans.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    I want it.

I see CL550s (rarely, albeit) on the road now. Stunningly beautiful, in a brash way.

I'll have to drive it, and if it's good enough, I might have to sacrifice having a convertible.

If my wife ended up with an '07 S550 4Matic next year (yes, used), and I got the CL550 in a few years, that would be adorable. The two ultra-luxury Benzes!

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    Of course, you didn't mention the A8, because there's nothing you can do to bash its interior. One magazine even said it was "the sexiest sedan interior" they'd ever seen.

The 7 Series interior isn't that bad, either. And the S-Class's is far better, believe me. Sit in it. Just the feel of the steering wheel will tell you.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    Nope, you're wrong.

Don't you think you should check the Mercedes website, and not just Edmunds?

GL320 CDI: $53,175

GL450: $55,675

And what's better about the LX470 than the Range Rover? I'd MUCH rather have a Range Rover, but I do like the way the LX looks.

Range Rover advantages:

Modern technology

Looks

Contemporary, beautifully finished interior

Engine

AWD system

Prestige/desirability/glamor

I want one

Game point, Range Rover.

Glad to hear someone else think real life pricing matters, for a change.

In terms of defining eligibility for inclusion here in this forum, MSRP plus typical options is the criteria.

So, my reference (unlike yours) to real-life pricing is not with regards to discounts or subsidies or promotions or ultimate selling prices, but rather the ultimate real-life typical retail price that results when typical options, packages and accessories are taken into account and added to the MSRP.

After I read your post, I figured I had better clarify that. :)

TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,927
    I want one

Then by all means you have my permission to buy one.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

And what's better about the LX470 than the Range Rover? I'd MUCH rather have a Range Rover...

esf,

I agree with you. I'd also rather have the Range Rover any day.

The LX470 and the Range Rover are in entirely different leagues. The LX470, which is obviously a Land Cruiser, is indeed a credible SUV, although too old, IMO... but to compare it to a Range Rover, well... that's absurd, IMO.

TagMan
  • but rather the ultimate real-life typical retail price that results when typical options, packages and accessories are taken into account and added to the MSRP.

That doesn't make any sense at all because as we know "rea-life typical retail price" and "MSRP" are two usually completely different numbers. There is no "real life" in "MSRP." If you want to stick with MSRP, forget about "real life."
    There is no "real life" in "MSRP."

LOL... Whatever.

Rather than get into semantics, let's just accept Edmunds' criteria and try to not over-analyze it. The MSRP plus "real-life" typical add-ons is the point.

TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,927
    Therefore the spirit and intention of the $60K price arena is more than met by real-life pricing, and further the GL represents MB's top tier SUV, and that also gives further merit to it's inclusion here. It's pretty darned obvious, for goodness sakes.

Fine with me. If that is your criteria then we can also include the Cadillac Escalade ESV at MSRP of $59,000.+, the GS 450h at MSRP of $54,000.+, and even the QX56 at $54,000.+. These all have MSRPs as much or more than where the GL starts,and with your typical add ons they would certainly be over $60,000. So the more the merrier.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Mercedes is notorious for adding "options" that really should be standard. Before you know it, the price is easily $5K - $15K or more higher than the base price. It's been one of my criticisms of Mercedes for a long time.

Your point is well-taken, but perhaps just to create an argument... I can not be sure. I do not know first hand, without checking further, whether or not those other brands are as notorious with the add-ons as Mercedes is. So, I can't answer definitively whether or not their inclusion would be appropriate.

I do know that the GL is close enough for me, considering the way the MSRP plus add-ons will so easily put it in the $60's and $70's, and that it represents the top-tiered SUV.

That's my opinion on this. Try others and see what they think. Either way, unless the host says it is forbidden, I will like to continue to discuss it from time to time, as we have been doing all along without any problems.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    the fabulous BMW 550 which starts stripped at $58,500 and can be had for a much more likely $70,000 "real-life" MSRP. The only reason it doesn't qualify here is because the BMW 7 is "higher-end." Makes me almost ashamed to drive "my" 545! :cry:
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Is anyone else here somewhat disappointed in Nicholas Cage being cast as "Ghost Rider"? He ruined "Gone in 60 Seconds".

Was kinda hoping this would be Artie Lange's next vehicle....

DrFill
    And before you know it, the X6 will be at a dealer near you.

TagMan
    Perhaps global automotive news matters to some and not to others, but for those that are interested:

Audi has recorded a triple success in the “auto motor und sport” readers’ poll: readers of the popular car magazine voted the A3, A6 and Audi Q7 into first place in their respective classes, crowning them with “Best Cars” titles for 2007. This continues Audi’s history of success in one of the most important readers’ polls in the automotive industry.

This was the first time that the Audi Q7 has taken part in the poll, and despite fierce competition it was awarded the most votes. It represents a new standard in the SUV segment. The Audi brand’s first SUV stands out thanks to its outstanding on-road performance, good off-road characteristics, expressive design and the quality characteristic of Audi. And it is not just readers of auto motor und sport who hold these properties in high esteem; the Q7 has also enjoyed great success with customers.

The winner in the executive class, the Audi A6, has been the market leader in its segment in Germany for two years now. The elegant and sporty A6 is available as both a saloon and an Avant. In 2006, Audi added the sporty S6 and the A6 allroad quattro to this successful model line.

The Audi A3 was voted top of the compact class for the third time. Audi demonstrates with the A3 how it is possible to perfectly unite premium standards with compact dimensions in a smaller vehicle class. The A3 is available in three-door and Sportback versions, and also in the shape of the S3.

Congratulations to Audi!

TagMan
    I'm not really interested in the X6.

Disappointed with the X5. Won't settle for the M_X.

The only HELC listed above that lights my fire is the A8.

As far as BMW goes, I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of the 2008 535i with inline 6 boosted by twin turbos to 300hp available this summer. Should be a lot of fun! But not as much fun as the junior version!

And of course, there will be the BMW diesels.

Very much looking forward to my next choice: BMW or Audi.

Most likely will give back the 545. After all, who wants to buy a car from someone who only changed the oil after 14,000 miles? DUH!! :surprise:
    Love it. Agrees with the Germans.

That is a hard decision. What models will you be looking for? A6/5er, A4/3er, or A8/7er (or some other class)?

If it were me...

I would pick a 528i/535i over an A6 3.2, but would buy an A6 4.2 S-Line over a 550i.

I would choose the A4 2.0T S-Line over the 328i, but 335i over the A4 3.2.

A8 is better than the 7 Series in all variants.

Wait, I take that back.

I'd take an A6 3.2 over a 528i, just not the 535i.

Very much looking forward to my next choice: BMW or Audi.

I think I'm clear about your next vehicle. Those new diesels might show up in time for consideration. And since BMW announced that their sweet 300 hp twin-turbo will be available in the 5-series, there's some more temptation for you. One thing for sure, IMO... I'm betting it's going to be a BMW again.

Most likely will give back the 545. After all, who wants to buy a car from someone who only changed the oil after 14,000 miles?

Yeah, you are so careless and negligent with your 545... Good thing you are leasing... It's obvious that everything in that car will fall apart, and you'll have no choice but to give it up. ;)

I'd even bet the floor boards and back seats are just a mess... littered with old used up Starbucks coffee cups!

TagMan
    If I go the HELC route, it's the A8. No contest.

If I stay with BMW, I bypass the 7, since I get better performance and just about the same "luxury" in the 545.

I would be interested in the new twin turbo 535 and any BMW diesels that come to market in the USA within the next 18 months.

I am not considering any other vehicles.

My 545 lease ends August 1, 2008.
    "Just a mess."

Nah! It's only my wife and myself in the vehicle. Although she does like to eat in the car. Crumbs on her seat and floor.

My wife is a multi-tasker: she can eat and harass me at the same time! :)

I never eat and drink in the car. Thus, I couldn't care less about BMW's ridiculous cup holders.

I am always amused at folks who concentrate so much on the BMW cup holders. Aren't they missing the point? :confuse:
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Yes, the S550 interior has its merits--curves. I find it tolerable, not desirable. Some of the shapes push my negative buttons. My boss has one. We were talking about it recently. Of course I was gushing with compliments.

I also like the Range Rover and its rectangular matrix arrangement of the controls plus the angular posture of the dash with its forward rake. It's pragmatic. Everything works together without one single element trying to upstage the other.
    You see, this puzzles me. I find the CL centerstack to be one of the most obnoxious elements an interior has ever seen. It is as welcoming as a refrigerator in a living room. Looks like a harcover bowling bag and THOSE LOUVERS REALLY SHOUT, bold and overpowering to the point where any material and build quality are rendered meaningless IMO.

Merc, I need an answer from you on this one, sir. Help me come to terms with it. ;-)
    But there were only 11 of those Hemi Cudas ever made, and not all of those are in existance anymore.

Was it 11? For some reason I thought it was 8. I don't know, I just think Veyron is at a point with it's specs that will not be exceeded. It's gotta end somewhere. Will be interesting to watch. I find those auctions entertaining even though garage queens are not my thing.
    Well well, we've agreed on several things recently. ;-) I never cared for Cage as an actor.