Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The public isn't as forgiving as C&D is of the RL, which they were highly impressed by.

Yeah, I dont really understand why C&D likes the RL so much. It's not particularly quick, or sporty, or luxurious, its too small, and the sticker is too high.

This also struck me as funny: It's an exceedingly well-integrated vehicle, and when you add legendary Acura quality and resale value, second place sounds like a perfectly reasonable outcome.

I dont think so, bub. First, Acura's "legendary quality" seems to be a thing of the past. The '04 TLs werent the greatest, and the '05 RLs were much worse than that. No better than any of the German cars. In fact, C&D's own long term tester was constantly in the shop (eight unscheduled service visits in less than 1 year!) with electrical problems.

Second, since sales are so poor and dealers are forced to give the new ones away, lightly used '05s are $35-37K. So much for resale value.

The Evo is pretty awesome, especially considering how much it costs. Unfortunately for Mitsubishi, the Lancer its based on, as well as every other Mitsubishi product, is lousy.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    It didn't sound like a joke, Tag. But ok! No hard feelings.

LG

If you check the Evo X forum, you'll see the Lancer and Evo are ready to become mainstream icons, if all goes as planned. The Lancer can be the next Mazda3!

DrFill
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    The four luxury car makers in F1 (MB, BMW, Toyota, Honda) are having a tough year.

After finishing last year in 2nd, MB isn't competitive with Renault and Ferrari, despite having 2 super drivers in Raikkonen and Montoya. MB has very few podium finishes and no sniff at victory.

Honda dominated F1 for many years and then left. When it came back about six years ago, everyone expected it to eventually win again. Do you realize it hasn't won a single race since then, despite spending huge sums of money? Last year was encouraging, not this year, for Honda!

Rumors had it that Toyota spent much more money than anyone else, it doesn't even have a sniff at a podium finish. Toyota wants to win at least once before the introduction of its LFA supercar. The way it's going, nobody can tell how long that will be. And BMW regularly runs in the rear of the pack.

What is especially discouraging is the second drivers of Renault and Ferrari, Fisichella and Massa (a virtual rookie), are faster than anyone else! Ferrari is no surprise. But Renault is a surprise. It sells only econoboxes. The only passenger V6's it sells are Nissan VQ's. And yet its technology dominates companies with much better paper credentials. And it also operates on a tighter budget, that's why it's losing its leading driver, Alonso, to McLaren-MB next year.

It's never easy for a luxury maker in F1. Maybe some of them will follow Jaguar and quit.
  • stevekilburnstevekilburn Posts: 359
    A very good post from you. Toyota has committed a major blunder of EPIC proportions by pouring in billions in F1, a club of greedy fraudsters. But this is a HELM board so lets stick to discussing HELM cars.

Speaking of which you are right on the mark. Lexus has very sketchy history in motor sports and I believe the introduction of LF-A is a major blunder. They should have never started work on LF-A to begin with until they had a major championship like Le Mans 24, or F1 under their belt.

Daytona 24 which they won this year is not good enough (unless they repeat it several times in the coming years).

Instead Lexus should have gone ahead with a Super-Sedan, something above LS 600hL to compete with S65 AMG with a proper engine and cutting edge technology. Lexus has solid experience and expertise and credentials to make such a sedan.

I am not sure how they will market LF-A if it comes to the market as they have little sporting history. Sounds like a major marketing problem to me.
    Merc1 and Doc, your thermonuclear wars are taking a major toll on this board. last 20-25 posts have been on C-class and 3-series and IS, which is not the topic here.

HELM board is for the top 1% of the market ONLY. Sorry to be ELITIST guys, but thats how it is.
    You are right Doc, we must win these guys with love and respect. They have been brain washed by god knows who into "VALUE" hysteria.

But we must take it upon ourselves to bring them to the right path of knowledge and wisdom. We must not let them suffer like this. We must not allow our friends to be clouded by communist propaganda.
    Thanks for enlightenment and pearls of wisdom, but I never said Maserati is suffering poor sales BECAUSE they lack long wheel-base and V12 from Enzo.

All I said was that Maser should compete HEAD-to-HEAD with bentley by introducing the ROYALE.

Besides, the engine is NOT from Enzo. It is actually a soft version of engine from 360 modena.

You are right on the mark on tranny. But I believe the bad F1 style tranny is not due to mechanicals or electrical elements but due to POOR SOFTWARE.

Ferrari has recently hired a software Company called TATA Consultancy or something by that name from India to solve these issues.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Well, for what its worth, I've been driving the Maserati coupe and spyder cambiocorsa since they came back to the US, and their F1 box has gotten better every year. It is now at least on par with any other sports car with a single clutch SMG. Unfortunately DSG blows them all out of the water, and is the only one really civilized enough for the Q.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    So I guess when you were posting about the Bose speakers, that was a topic for the HELM board?

Please don't establish yourself as the HELM traffic cop when you yourself have wandered off topic from time to time.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Please don't establish yourself as the HELM traffic cop when you yourself have wandered off topic from time to time.

I agree . . . as we all have on occasion . . . and will from time to time. It is only natural. If it goes way off for too long, there is always the REAL cop, Pat, to get us back on track. Thank you Powders. Well said.

TagMan
    You are right Doc, we must win these guys with love and respect. They have been brain washed by god knows who into "VALUE" hysteria.

No value hysteria at all. Your "premium helm" "Lexus price hike" hysteria and non-stop grinding was the catalyst for most all of those recent "value" posts.

Now that you and the Doc are partners, I think you guys could easily alienate some of the more mainstream Lexus fans that don't relate to your extreme views, but nonetheless still appreciate Lexus vehicles. You guys are kinda like the extreme Lexus left-wing.

BTW, in your remark . . . your reference to God should have been deserving of a capital "G", IMO, don't you agree? Watch out for more police. :P

TagMan
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Friday's WSJ or the NYT Weekend Edition had a Maserati lease ad. For (roughly) 10K down, 10K miles a year for 4 years and $1300 a month they would lease you a Q. No other charges were listed.

Lets view the total sum of the initial payment and the lease payments (i.e., 72K or so) as representing Maserati's expectation of the depreciation of the car over the next four years plus their profit plus a money factor. Lets assume that of the 72K that the lease will cost you, 12K of that is profit and money costs. This leaves 60K on the table for depreciation. It seems to me that Maserati is saying that they expect that their $112,000 car will be worth about 52K in four years. This figure seems reasonable to me but high. (I can't imagine anyone but the credit challenged really wanting a four year old Maser which would then be on its fourth clutch and pilot bearing.) This makes the S Class ownership and resale experience however boring a bargain.
    Nice analysis.

The question must be just how high those payments should go before they undermine the attractiveness of the lease itself.

You are paying closer attention to the resale of the Q lately, aren't you?

TagMan
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,663
    Hey Steve - You and I are in 100% agreement on that one buddy.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Aye, get back to the TV... your boys are on.
    They've also been advertisong an $899 deal with $3K down on a $90K+ Q qnd for a car at that pricepoint that is cheap. Maybe demand is falling off for this car.
    I always have to DVR them and watch in about 90 minutes. Now if mention what happens in the interim period my boys will be over to see you.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'll let your last post slide, since I made a mistake.

We'll hook up down the line. My beef is with Tag and LG.

:D

M
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Actually Steve the board says High-End Luxury "Marques" not just sedans. I think a discussion about F1 fits in there since Mercedes and BMW do compete at that level. We should be able to talk about HEL brands in general also.

M
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    I have said nothing "Extreme" or "Left-wing".

The LS is at a crossroads in it's lifespan. Does it stand up and fight the Germans in the HELM class, or settle for a lower class.

Lexus has built the New LS and promoted it as fully competitive with the S-Class, why continue to sit at the back of the bus?

I believe Lexus can build a car as good as anything on the road, grow the brand, enhance prestige AND value, without making the car overpriced.

Given the car's new size, powertrain, and ability, a new price point would be appropriate.

Let the LS spread it's wings.

You either want Lexus to stay the course, or "Move Forward". There really isn't a wrong answer, that I can see. I vote on them Moving Forward.

DrFill