Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,665
    Lex sales up 21% and cars up 39%. Remember these are cars shipped to dealers not yet sold to the public.

OAC - I wouldn't cede that LS salse crown yet. Lexus will likely ship 4,000+ LS cars a month starting in September.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Touchy touchy Toy people. It doesn't feel so good being in the recall section does it, especially involving a car that the dealers are selling at a 5-10k premium for.

BTW, yes, some LS' have caught fire due to faulty fuel rail assemblies(this model cycle btw). And the link that the Andy dude posted is inconclusive. What are the other 400k cars that are outside of Japan? The Prius is NOT the only American car under this "service campaign", it was also said that all 4.7L equipped Toyota's/Lexuses are too.

I'm in no way bashing Toyota. They are one heck of an automaker and I do admire there consistant drive for perfection, but had this been V-Dub or Mercedes, or ANYTHING European, everyone would've been all over it and you know it.
  • stevekilburnstevekilburn Posts: 359
    Oac, you are right. The hype is the problem. BMW relies too much on propaganda and too little on product.
    Look at their record. Their contributions to auto-industry and society:

Quality and Reliability: zero
    craftsmanship and Love: zero
    fuel economy: zero
    performance: zero (except M3)
    luxury: zero
    heritage and antique value: zero (Remember it was Alfa Romeo and Maserati who introduced SPORT-SEDAN to the world NOT BMW)
    beauty: zero
    environmental commitment: zero
    innovation: zero (lot of useless gadgets, thats all)
    safety : zero

Its all zero zero zero. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    An increase of 17% in the US is astonishing in light of the fuel prices and shaky car business. It should be noted that Toyota increased dramatically in May while Ford lost another 2%. And Toyota is on their turf.

Toyota's key is that they've now found the magic potion in operations in America: Keep the product fresh and exciting(Toyota-exciting?) Brilliant.

With the all-new Tundra on the horizon, Detroit had better wake up fast as this is supposed to outshine all others. They narrowly missed the bullet with the Titan's quality woes and bad customer reception, but Toyota is not Nissan.

And if they take the truck market by storm, which has been all-American for quite sometime, depsite the foreign makes, it's all over for the big 3 as we know it.
    Steve, did we get a little carried away with the 0000's. True, BMW has lost some traction on priorities. BUT, it's still a company that is legendary and wears it's name nicely. While reliablilty has suffered(but improved) and the whole Love and beauty thing is purely subjective, performance is very legit when it comes to BMW, and you omitted the fastest player on the block: The M5(just 0.02 secs faster than the CLS 55, but it is faster).

No I'm not the Munich lover I was in the '90's, BUT, you got to remember one thing. BMW AG is the only major luxury player that's all it's own. No VW, Ford, Toyota, GM interference. For good or bad, it still has it's bragging rights.
    BMW is not the only player. There is Porsche too.
    MAJOR luxury maker, not specialty. And with Porsche buying into VW, we'll see how long it remains this way.

BTW, before you reply, I know they have the Cayenne, but it still doesn't make them full-line, maybe when they finally give the Panamera the go-ahead.
    You have to define MAJOR. By what measure are you saying Porsche is not MAJOR. Is 10B$ in sales, 1B$ in revenue not major? Please clarify

Also does it matter whether somebody interferes or not. Product is all that matters. Even BMW is not independent, it depends on suppliers, on ZF for transmissions,

on GM and Daimler for hyrbid systems they are co-developing etcetc
    Steve - Porsche is a great compamy with quite possibly the best niche product in all of manufacturing - but in this space - it is a peanut.
    Here was the sales chart. Lexus was up 9% overall - I misread something before. Amazing though how Lexus has transformed to big car sales this year and this is with an LS on life support given the big changes with the new model.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2006060141005
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Amazing though how Lexus has transformed to big car sales this year and this is with an LS on life support given the big changes with the new model.

Considering what is on the horizon . . . "you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    The 7 series sales were only up 5.5% over May 2005.
    The 5 series sales, however, were up a stunning 34% over May 2005.

BMW: Listen to the numbers! You do not make the requisite bloated luxo-barge which is what most HELM buyers expect.

Get out of this market and concentrate on creating serious challengers to the Boxster and 911.
    That's where you belong!
    Get out of this market and concentrate on creating serious challengers to the Boxster and 911.
    That's where you belong!

You have already made your point . . .
    but are you going to try to shovel it again and again, "Steve"? ;)

TagMan
    Has a nice rhythm to it.
    They should make it into a jingle. ;)
    The point is the numbers show the 7 is a HELM failure, bearing out my thesis.
    It's always nice to see the real numbers.
    Onward and upward, BMW!
    Out of the HELM's and into the serious performance sports car arena!

I feel a migraine coming on. Did you say SSSS...teve? :sick:
    I'm not talking what it makes in revenue/profits. If that's the case, Audi wouldn't need VW.

I'm talking about whose calling the shots. Nobody but BMW calls it's shots.

And on co-development, didn't Porsche share Tiptronic with other Euro makes, and now in the process of probing Audi for DSG? Like ljflx said, Porsche is a big player in this field with it's first-rate sports cars and SUV's, but in this foray, it's a dot in a huge circle

BTW, name one automaker who doesn't have distributors and/or suppliers.
    Out of the HELM's and into the serious performance sports car arena!

If you think that BMW should abandon its 7 series and focus on Porsche-style sports cars, then I guess you would tell Porsche to stop their plans to build the Panamera.

Really, Howard, while your point about the 7 is well taken, it makes terrific business sense to have it, and I believe that the car will only improve over time. I think the 7 has merit even in its current format. In addition, aren't we looking forward to the next Z8 (or Z6, depending on who you believe)?

Chill out. Now you've got Steve telling us that BMW is all 0000's. This is ridiculous. Sure BMW can do a lot of things better (who can't?), but all zero's and killing the 7 are all too extreme here, IMO.

:)

TagMan
    I hate being annoyingly redundant, but oh what the heck....I feel that the HELM realm and BMW aren't a really good fit. That's it.

Our very wise full-time moderator and part-time HELM honor-roll winner smartly reminds us "don't feed the trolls."
    'Nuff said.
    I get your point but the problem is BMW's image would suffer without a car in this class and that would drag down the brand. BMW isn't Porsche - they are a full service business and the 7 has actually sold better than ever the last 4 years. The problem is that the cars marketing appeal is to the low volume end of the segmnent and that area is getting crowded.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I agree. Let me add though that it seems to me that the BMW customer base is bi modal: younger, performance oriented professionals, single or just married w/o kids for the 3 Series and a little later for the 5 Series. On the other end of the barbell is the 7 Series customer who is probably the same age as the S Class customer, i.e, in his 50's and a full generation older than the 3 Series buyers.

I wonder if the M/B and Lexus customer bases are split as widely? I see a wider variety of ages in the C Class than in the 3 Class. This may be BMWs problem with the 7 Series: while they can build and market well to what a young attorney might want, they don't have the same skills at selling to the senior partner.