Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Is it true? Ford sold a stake of Aston Martin to some private investors this week?

This could the start of the big deluge.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I'm not surprised, supposedly Aston has been on the block for awhile. I'm pretty sure they still plan to keep the rest of PAG in house.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I thought there was one of those large corporate designers that was interested weeks ago?

TagMan

Edit:

Well, I guess not... this says otherwise:

link title
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    I've read (yesterday) that Ford sells Aston-Martin to a group of investors lead by David Richards. News also said that the main reason is to get fresh money ($ 925 M) to refloat Ford itself. Ford Motor Co. will continue however having an Aston-Martin share of $ 77 M.

Regards,
    Jose
    News also said that the main reason is to get fresh money ($ 925 M) to refloat Ford itself.

Unfortunately thats only a small fraction of the $12B the restructuring is going to cost, and thats *if* way forward Mulally edition actually goes anywhere.
    Interestingly, Ford will maintain a $77 million investment in the company.

Here's the story:

link title

Good thing we defended Kuwait with operation "Desert Storm"... now Kuwait-based Dar and Adeem Investment Co. can be part of the purchase.

TagMan
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    My Goodness where are you...?? Tony
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I'm still around, Tony.

Thanks for asking! :)

Still thinking of getting a BMW?
  • erobbinserobbins Posts: 2
    There have been talks for sometime about BMW coming out with an X7. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed true and if so, when? I am currently in the market for a high full size SUV. I prefer a full seat that sits high and this is more prevalant in domestics than foriegn cars. I am 6'5 and my only choice seems to be the Range Rover - which I really like, but I am curious to find out about the X7.
    An X6 is around the corner. I'm not sure about an X7. These actually could be one in the same, depending upon how they badge it. Or there will be two larger SUVs, which I doubt. Either way, you'll wait long enough to do something else now.

The Range Rover that you said you really like, however, is quite a machine, and is available now. If you've got the green, then I'd say you've already found your ride.

Enjoy if for a while, and then if BMW builds something that by some chance you like better, then you can always follow up with that.

TagMan
  • erobbinserobbins Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I do love the Range and the way it looks. I do wish it had an MP3 jack and some other gadgets, but overall the truck is beautiful. I am not a fan of the rims. I may need to upgrade to the 20". I do like the rims on the supercharged, but I live in the city so it's overkill.

Thanks again,

Eric
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,905
    I assume you have already tried the Lexus LX470. If not please do yourself a favor and at least give it a try. There should be some pretty good deals right now. I have had one for almost 4 years and it is the best vehicle of any kind I have ever had. Great hiway cruiser.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Hi H

I would consider one if they made a vast improvement in the materials on the inside....The swb Audi has been a good car, and very easy to live with, so I`l have it a couple of more years, or until something come along that is worth while---very worthwhile....I am not a big fan of all the gadgets that come along---that I feel I must have---and then never use...On the Lexus I used the cruise control with sensors, but on the Audi I rarely use it , even though it is better,as the driving experience is so much better...I have been lucky not getting a ticket, but that is what the Audi is all about...I find the seat cooler to be a waste, along with the cruise control..Thats about five thousand right there...The little things that come standard are very much appreciated, and one thing---the solar panel in the moonroof that keeps the car fresh is wonderful...Tony
    I know that it's hard to tell from a photo, Tony, but one of the 2008 550 interior shots unfortunately looks like more of the tired "same old, same old." In the brochure, BMW admits that it would be hard to tell the current 550i from the 2008 version.

I guess BMW is satisfied to rest on their considerable performance laurels which had me hooked since 1993 despite their boring interiors.

Since BMW offers the best balanced and exciting to drive vehicles in all sedan segments, they must figure that prospective and continuing customers will overlook their drab interiors, and the company's explosive and continuing success proves they are correct.

I just may have to go with an SUV next time around. I really need a vehicle with at least 70 cubic feet of space out back. The folding rear seats in the 545 just don't do it.
    So sedans will be off my list since I only have room for one vehicle in my garage and my wife doesn't drive.

I hate the X5, having sat in it recently and having already driven the choppy 2005 version, which left me unimpressed.

The only vehicles I would consider are the Audi Q7, the Porsche Cayenne or dare I say it, a loaded Acura MDX; although this last choice would have to REALLY impress me with its driving dynamics to be seriously considered.

I hope diesel versions of one or more of the above are available by the summer of 2008, when I have to part company with the 545.

So, that's the reason for my restricted posting here lately.
    Looks like no HELC in my immediate future.... :(
    How come you need so much storage room? Is it you anticipate a return to the North East? I saw a Porsche-as you describe, down in Miami...The one I saw had the absolutely best looking interior--to my just brief glimpse--I have ever seen in a suv...I would think the price to match...I also took a look at the Audi when I was getting the mmi fixed..The interior was refined and comfortable and the price (Ithink)was say mid forties...I`m sure with the larger engine and interior improvements, it would be sixtys.Frankly the most reasonable probably would be the MDX, as they build an all around good vehicle(from my military days)..Knowing how you check things out I am sure whatever you choose will be smart and the best...I`m counting on you to help me with my next car...Tony
    I'm heavy into road biking, Tony and will be traveling a lot in the future with my bikes. Since I'm a leasee and not a buyer, I won't take the chance of scratching a vehicle by attaching bikes outside on any vehicle. Less risky loading them in the back with rear seats down.

I agree with you about the MDX-a good buy or lease now that it's been "out there" for a while, and the reviews have been positive, but faux wood?

Porsche charges an outrageous 7.3% to lease a Cayenne and I have a feeling there would be limited wiggle room with them.

I'm sure I could do well on a Q7 lease.

Next year at this time, I will check these three out.

As an admirer of great engines and exciting performance, I'm sure I will like the Porsche best, but as a serious and unwavering value shopper, the choice will most likely come down to Audi vs Acura.
    I do like the rims on the supercharged, but I live in the city so it's overkill.

Yeah, definately always better to change the rims on the vehicle you actually like... and then add the rims you like to make it just right. It's amazing what a great set of rims will do for almost any vehicle. If you get that Range Rover, be sure to let us know. I'll be jealous, cause I really want one.

TagMan
    hpowders - when it comes to the BMW, you typically have indicated that you don't care too much about the interior because the car has a higher priority. But when it comes to the MDX, why do you care so much about the interior? From the same perspective, the MDX also has a higher priority and does it very well, just like the Bimmer does what it is supposed to do very well.

Also, IMO, the BMW interiors are to-the-point, not overly gaudy, and they are purposeful, no-nonsense, and deliberate, without detracting from what the cars are all about... driving. There is something to be said for that, and many seem to agree.

Questions for you --- What about the X5? It's got the improved interior, that's for sure, and it's a Bimmer. Aren't there any good leases on the X5? I was under the impression that the X5 is one of the models that is getting the latest round of super lease deals.

TagMan
    It's more the principle of the thing. Who wants to get a "luxury" vehicle with faux wood? However, upon driving it and checking the front seat comfort and 83 cc ft of space and the price, I may just forget about the phony wood. The 2008 version may have real wood, but I doubt it.

The interest rate on the X5 4.8 right now is 5.04%, fairly high for a BMW lease.
    The interest rate on the X5 4.8 right now is 5.04%, fairly high for a BMW lease.

But, I had thought that the residual was being pumped up to more than make up for that... resulting in a very attractive monthly payment.

TagMan
  • You know the VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 are all based on the same SUV platform? From what I had heard, the Cayenne was tanking badly in the markeptlace- I would think Porsche dealers would be willing to deal.

"Porsche charges an outrageous 7.3% to lease a Cayenne and I have a feeling there would be limited wiggle room with them.

I'm sure I could do well on a Q7 lease. "
    How many bike do you carry (usually) at a time?? You really owe yourself a trip up to western N.C as I see pretty large groups biking folks, and they have alot of designated roads up there....If by chance you do come that way I`l be there to welcome you Tony ps be prepared for some up hill going, and some exciting bmw driving
    Looks like were all still here.

I just got off of the phone with Jaguar Concierge. They phoned to let me know the Jag should port here on Friday.

By my calculation, with me more than likely getting it next week, that's a week and a half ahead of schedule.

Just in time for spring, I'll be letting these stubborn grays waver with top dropped.

Anyway, how's everyone doing. HP's buying an SUV? Other than Bimmer?? Watchout world! ;)

BTW: With some talk going on about the Q7, I did get a chance to drive one for 2 days when I had both the W12 and S8 in for routine service last Thursday.

The model I had was the Q7 4.2 Premium w/20" wheels. In short, I can say Audi definetely brought their game when it comes to this vehicle. It has the usual Audi interior greatness and overall better build quality over the T'regg and Cayenne. But if you command that "King of Throne" high-sitting seat arrangement, you won't get it here. It's about the same height as it's platformates. Look towards Escalade or GL, and to a "higher extent"- the Range Rover for that reason. Other than that, the 350hp 4.2L V8 scoots this ride to 60 in under 7 seconds, fast enough. But if power is in your blood, then the 500hp+ V12 TDI that's coming this fall should address anyones concerns, even mine. And it still gets over 20 mpg. All in, I walked away very impressed. This vehicle does not disappoint, but neither does the GL, Range Rover, Escalade. And I thought the S/7/A8/LS/XJ class was tough....
    Still not close enough to my value range to be interested. (5.04%)

I got the 545 for 2.4% interest.

Right now the X5 is still "hot."
    Next year, at this time, I wil take another look, though, seriously, the X5 doesn't ring any bells for me.
    An SUV. Yes. For practical reasons. But it must be fun to drive, if one can say that about any of these behemoths.

Like the 545, whether I choose the Q7 or MDX, I will still have coveted exclusivity around here. The cargo vehicle of choice down these parts is indisputably the Honda Odyssey.

Glad to read you liked the Q7!

A 3.6L Quattro Q7 can be had for about the same monthly lease payment as the base MDX-about $540 a month, assuming 7% tax factored in.
    The interest rate on the Q7 lease offered by Audi as I write this is an astonishingly low 0.912%. The MDX can be had for a minimum of 6.6% from Honda Financial.

If this trend continues, the Q7 will head my list.
    My 545 lease is up in the summer of 2008. So I am just beginning to formulate a strategy at this time.

As I write this, the Cayenne lease has an outrageous 7.44% interest rate. If that doesn't go down by at least 200 basis points at this time next year, I will not waste my time going to the dealer to drive one.
    The 2008 version may have real wood, but I doubt it.

That seems really unlikely. As with Lexus, Acura doesn't like to change their cars much until they are redesigned. Isn't the Cayenne a bit small? The other poster is also correct, its bombing so badly lately that Porsche stopped production until the refreshed one was ready, so I have to assume Porsche would be willing to make an uncharacteristic "deal" on one.

What about a GL450, or even a LX570 when it shows up?
    I re-read your post. I see you didn't mentioned that you wanted the all-out full-size ute.

Then in that case, the MDX, Q7, and GL should be sufficient as they all possess 70 or more cu. ft.

The Escalade, RR, and LX may all be too big, and you'd definetely miss anything associated with BMW handling in these.

I would recommend the X5, but it is still just as tight on the inside as the previous model, although it does ride a bunch better due to the switch to a coil-over-shock suspension, abandoning BMW's close relationship with struts all the way around.
    Yes, I don't need anything huge. Just my wife, the bikes and me. No dogs. No kids.

I drove the X5 several years ago and found the suspension too harsh. I sat in the new version several months ago, and I can easily do without one.

The fact that the Q7 can be leased for about the same monthly payment as the MDX has me quite interested in the Q.
    I live for great values!
    My dream ride is going down from the summit of Haleakala Crater in Maui-no peddling-all downhill (check the brakes!!) with Tagman meeting me at the bottom with a cup of fresh Kona coffee in his 911!

Do you want cream or sugar with that? ;)

TagMan