Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

• polljimmypolljimmy Posts: 6
    Hi Friend,
    You are every great care is come let and its publicity, marketing and all talk is start is too begins.
    It's market policy.
  • ajvdhajvdh Posts: 223
    Sardine recursion on yellow hubcaps withholding preservatives. Negative bite-slice on tomato can enigma. It's reality.
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Posts: 310
    Funniest thing I've read on here in awhile. :D

I figured I had too much to drink when reading the prior post.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,476
    with a vengeance.

Off topic, but back to life. :D
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,316
    I think the luxury car market is going thru a slump. There just doesn't seem to be any exciting cars out there right now...except maybe the Genesis.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• rockshocka1rockshocka1 Posts: 310
    Nothing against the snowball running down the hill that is Hyundai, but...

Even Hyundai knows the Genesis is not an HELC. It's success makes it a no brainer to bring the Equus over here to test that market.

Overall, the entire car market is in a slump. I think the HELC market is on the way to correcting itself during the next uptick, where those who can truly afford will drive.

IMO, of course.
    I didn't mean to imply that the Genesis was a HELC...just that it is an exciting car. I would probably classify it as mid level premium.

The Equus just might shake up the luxury market if it is priced right and does not disappoint. Second channel maybe?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    :D :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't comprehend that! I was gonna say something but didn't want to seem ignorant. :confuse: I wanted to come back with the old "All your base are belong to us. Make your time!" :P
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace the oxygen sensor on a 735il? The manual is not too clear. Specifically, where are the connections? Thank You.
  • Although technically not the same class, the price is about the same once you add the necessary packages to the E.
    I compared both LS 460 and LS 430 to new and old E's. Interestingly, MB just does not have all the goodies on their cars that the competition has, even Genesis. If you add the ones you can, the cost rises astronomically.
    Like the 460, but see too many complaints about wind noise, road noise, engine problems, etc. Also 430 seems to ride better from reports.
  • You said it are comparing 2 different classes of vehicle...even the genesis is a full-size car...but if you compare for yourself the E-class to any of its competitors then you will find that it is superior to most if not all is competitors...and im certain you were kidding about the price comparison of the 2 vehicles th lexus starts around 77k the e-class at about 53k and im nt certain what package(goodies) you find to be necessary so i couldnt tell you if you were even close to accurate... the LS460 in my opinion just to have it on record is severly over priced and so is LS600h :)
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Posts: 269
    Car and Driver compared 50K cars and the ranking is
    1) Audi A6
    2) BMW 5 series
    3) Infiniti M45
    4) Jaguar XF
    5) 2010 MB E350

They did not have much good to say about the car (compared to competition)
    According to car and Driver MB is the car that you buy to impress the neighbours..

Also in SoCal with all the incentives available a base 2009 E350 can be had for 40K..if you can find one.
  • I compared prices on Edmunds and from dealers. LS460 is not much more than a comparably equipped E350, but the LS has more features on it that E350 does not.
    couldnt agree with you more...

there are better choices out there for the money and prestige...
    unless you have to have three-pointed-star to boost your ego...
  • It was kind of interesting that in the same issue, after ranking the MB in last place, they also had an article about the MB E-class CPO program. Seems to me they're a better deal used... MB adds something like another 50K miles to the warranty, plus there's no deductibles.
  • Sat in the new XJ in Pebble over the weekend and I couldn't believe I was sitting in a Jaguar. For a ton of money, I would love to get my hands on the new DBS Volante..stunning. But the Jag, a bit more realistic for me, was something unexpected.
  • again i say test it for yourself...i personally have 2 MB's myself and i havent had a singl problem out of either of them and i wouldnt dare sell them...i have tried bmw, audi, lexus, acura, and infiniti...i have even owned hem all b4 and i can assure you they would stil be in my driveway if they were any good what so ever...ea. had very similar problems...terrible suspension, electrical failure, and in the infiniti transmission failure...and to those who assue all mercedes owners have ego issues your wrong...we just enjoy buying cars that last more than 5yrs after they leave the assymbly line :P
  • bob204bob204 Posts: 7
    A recent review of the so-called top 5 $50k automobiles ranked the Mercedes Benz last and grudgingly so.. The Audi A-6, BMW 5 series and even a Jaguar far exceeded anything MB sells, including quality control issues which have plaqued the manufacturer for decades. Every Benz I have ever owned spent an inordinate amount of time in the repair shops... Never Again!!
  • However, that same review ranked the Audi in first place, and I have not yet met an Audi owner who would ever buy another one. I know a number of people that took meticulous care of their Audi, and had premature transmission failure, electrical problems, etc. And most repairs are $1K +.

The point being, I take all the car reviews with a grain of salt. The reviewer generally looks at how well-engineered the car is. But good engineering does not always equal reliability.
    I was just stating facts..

I had a 1995 infiniti...lasted 14 years/140000 miles. All I did was regular maintainence and finally sold it last year only because I got bored of it....

My wifes 2000 infiniti has 9 years/85000 miles no problems at my experience with infiniti has been good.

Last year I test drove (extensively) bunch of cars including (MB E class) and was underwhelmed by it...In fact to me (for the money) Genesis felt a better deal.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 1,803
    "...that same review ranked the Audi in first place, and I have not yet met an Audi owner who would ever buy another one."

Well, talk to i.d., Markcinncinnati on these boards (usually an Audi board) who's on his 30-some+ Audi.

I've had three of them and would not hesitate to buy another; it's only a question of when.
    2015 Lexus RC350 F-Sport, 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring, 2015 Buick Encore, 2013 Audi A4 Premium Plus (son's got it)
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Keep in mind that Mark leases his cars. I've read hundreds of his posts & I'm pretty sure that he's never purchased an Audi.

And that's also true of every Audi driver among my friends & coworkers. They all lease.

I had an absolutely horrific Audi ownership experience back in the 1980s. Still, I'd give the brand another chance - if I could meet a couple of long-term owners.

I won't buy a car unless I can be reasonably confident that I'll get 8 years of service from it. My BMW 330i turned 8 a couple of months ago. It looks & runs like new, so I'll probably hang onto it for another 2 years.

What will I buy next? Don't know yet. I'd like to put Audi on my short list - they're making some very attractive cars these days - but before I do that, I'll have to know more about how well the brand ages.
  • Fair enough. I'm sure there are some happy Audi owners out there. The key word is owners, not leasers. There are many cars I'd take a chance with on a lease, because in a couple years you can walk away from it. Buying is another story.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Seems to me they're a better deal used...

Any luxury/high price car is a better deal used.
  • The transmission in my 03 Audi A4 1.8T failed on the road yesterday. Mileage 62,400 - maintained regularly. Has anyone had a similar problem with the Audi?
  • bob204bob204 Posts: 7
    Though we can all agree that used is cheaper then new we probably can also agree that if comparisons were made, using all factors, minus price the LS would come out ahead. Owning a Mercedes is akin to owning a boat. The best time was buying and the best time was selling. Should I choose ego over quality I still might purchase a used LS. If the ego satisfaction comes from the 3 pointed star buy one and keep it on your desk. Hoorays for the Lexus brand.
  • Here is another take on the whole HELC thing.

1) Clearly there is no relatonship between purchase price and ownership satisfaction. In fact, for some people the more they pay for a car, the crazier they get if they have a problem. Take a look at the posts on the MB S Class site by a guy who paid 140K for an S63, had his air conditioner compressor fail, and it will take MB a month to get him one. In the interim they will "only" give him an E Class to drive. This guy is almost beside himself with anger.

2) Moreover, not only is there no relationship between purchase price and customer satisfaction, there is no relationship between purchase price and reliability/longevity of the vehicle. A BMW 7 Series or an S Class will not last any longer than a Chevy Malibu. In fact, given the complex electronics, a 12 year old 7 Series or S Class may be at the end of its economic life. The idea of buying an S Class as you hit 60 and driving off into the sunset with it is outmoded.

If you agree with me on a lack of a relationship between purchase price and happiness and purchase price and reliability/longevity, what are we left with? Probably the "sweet spot" is on that CD list of the five best cars for 50K!,

On a personal note, we recently added a new 2009 Volvo XC to our fleet (Porsche Cayenne, 2001 XC, 2008 Silverado, 1987 Grand Cherokee Wagoneer, etc) and love it. We paid 35K for it, got 5 years of free maintenance and factory warranty and couldn't be happier.
  • Taking the argument that due to the complexity of the various top 5 $50 k automobiles we could say or rather spend that amount of money on another, completely different set of circumstances re. costs of ownership.. Let's choose a Lexus E350 and option it out of better let's spend a few more dollars and get a LS460. Not only am I getting a high quality auto but one of routine service and hundreds of thousand of trouble-free miles.
    Why buy those German symbols of big egos and get a Japanese symbol of both ego and success?
    I agree. I learned my lesson over the years with German cars and have been quite happy with Lexus for the past 10 or 12 years. Ironically, my second choice right now would be the Genesis.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• Its sad that no one even mentions Jag. The money is right and the reliability is the best.

A comparably equipped XF is less money than a 5 Series and will be utterly trouble free. You will never even get to know the Service Writers first name. An XJ is perhaps 25K less than the S Class and has won numerous JD Power Awards for not only relibility but also the dealer experience,