Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• oacoac Posts: 1,594
    These Lexicans tend to make a joke about things that are so obvious to the rest of us.
    I think the shrinks call that a "defense mechanism."
    Helps 'em to avoid uncomfortable reality, I guess.

You are correct. The LS brings absolutely nothing to the table aside from its dependability. It will always be the favorite vehicle for the nearly embalmed, blue-haired set.

Howard, your writing style does get obnoxious sometimes. What exactly is all these groupie mentality and derogatory speak for ? Enjoy your 545 and let others be. I am getting real tired of your kind of posts which are just so negative....
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Howard, your writing style does get obnoxious sometimes. What exactly is all these groupie mentality and derogatory speak for ? Enjoy your 545 and let others be. I am getting real tired of your kind of posts which are just so negative....

oac - relax . . . let Howard be Howard. He's part of what makes this whole thing what it is.

Next thing you know you'll be taking a vacation from Edmunds again, and frankly, I like your posts too much and I wouldn't want that to happen. ;)

now . . . back to the pool for a while. Ah-h :shades:

TagMan
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    As it stands of now, Caddy's lineup makes Lexus look "bad". The CTS(especially the V) continues to be successful, and the glorified Escalade runs circles around the LX in terms of technology and sales(for the same money interestingly), and the STS V8 is a better performer than the GS430(dare I even mention the STS-v?).

And pound for pound, I don't rate the current LS430 any higher than a DTS, despite the FWD, it too is just a cruiser, something that it's fine doing and not posing as anything else.

Oh, how I wish you would think these posts through before dropping them like 3rd period French!

You seem impressed by CTS sales, but it is behind ES330/350 sales, and will always be. Having sat in a CTS (but refusing to soil my palate drivind one), anyone who would buy that over an ES deserves the resale value!

The Escalade competes with the GX and the LX, and I haven't seen anyone shame the GX in anything. The 'Slade may be fast, but get a power tilt wheel and some Auto-up windows before you come knocking on that door! Both are better off-road, and more luxurious.

Didn't the 'Slade just lose another comparison to the Mercedes GL?

The Deville? You said a mouth full when you said "pound-for-pound"! The last time eye sore it compared to the leaders, I think a Volvo beat it out for drivability and appeal.

Should I call that post a rough draft of what you really wanted to say?

If Audi can't knock on Lexus' door, you KNOW Caddy will keep walkin'!

So Cadillac is your horse now? Just going around the 2nd-tier this week?

Audi is good! Don't bail so fast! They'll be alright.

DrFill
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Posts: 141
    And pound for pound, I don't rate the current LS430 any higher than a DTS, despite the FWD, it too is just a cruiser, something that it's fine doing and not posing as anything else.

You sure sound like a GM salesperson.

And pound for pound, I don't rate the current DTS any higher than a ES350. Oh, wait, DTS is no where close to the ES350 in terms of luxury, performance, and sales.
    Tag, I hear you. It simply gets tiring to hear the kind of tone in his posts... He needs to give it a rest.

The truth be known, MB, Buick, and Jaguar have the OLDEST buying demographics not Lexus. Blue-haired driving LS ? Look at the MB owners for blue-haired moneyed people. I'm 42 and have been driving an LS well into my 30's. I am no blue-haired floosy trying to relive my youth driving V8-powered sedans.... Neither is LG, or LJ, or many LS owners here. The IS and GS have very young, upwardly mobile buyers, much as the 3 and 5-series. The C, E and especially S-class are populated by middle-aged to older buyers, who believe in MB mystique and want the badge. My very good friend, an MD, just bought an E350. He could not be disuaded to even consider any other car. He simply wanted an MB for the name. I will say, he represents the typical MB buyer....
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    so obnoxious and untruthful, why do you feel you must spend so much time refuting it?
    Its the tone, Howard... Just keep it down and less pungent and I'll be cool with it. You do make many good and excellent points, but you do stray occassionally... ;)
    Pool break . . . :shades:

When evaluating the typical buyer for any marque, it is a generalization that is not even close to black and white. There are so many shades of gray, and exceptions to what is typical that it's absurd to even consider all of it, unless you are an ad agency doing your best to target your advertising.

There are plenty of young buyers of Jaguars and Mercedes. Success just generally comes at a riper age, that's all, but not as a rule. And when the very young get money, anything goes. Generally, as the success ladder is climbed, the buyer moves up from the Corolla to the Camry to the ES to the LS, not necessarily in that exact sequence, but you get the idea. Or from the C-Class to the E-Class to the S-Class or SL, but again not as a rule.

These are just typical scenarios, and AVERAGES. Fact is, most people are not average, just a part of what makes up the average.

It's like the average temperature. Most days are actually hotter or colder. Mixed together and then divided we come up with the average temperature that is seldom seen in real life.

Someone here recently said that statistics are like bikinis . . . it's not what they show that counts . . . it's what they cover up. I liked that saying and remembered it, but which one of you guys said it?

Anyway, get the point?

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    And pound for pound, I don't rate the current LS430 any higher than a DTS, despite the FWD, it too is just a cruiser, something that it's fine doing and not posing as anything else. Oh and I've sampled a '06 DTS w/Performance Pkg. and found it to be better than the Lexus with the Euro option and the interior materials weren't that far off of the LS430's mark and the silence about the same for about same money with more standard features. Again the LS is better how??

Better how? Hmm, that is a tough one. Let me see if I can think of anything. For one thing, Lexus doesn't reskin 10+ year old designs and call them "new". 275hp out of "just" 4.6L? Wow. Sounds suspiciously like the northstar that was in the Deville, doesn't it? That GM 4-speed autobox sounds an awful lot like the one in the Deville also. The LS460 will be packing twice as many foward gears as the DTS. The DTS doesn't even come standard with actual wood in it. Please. It can't even come close to competing with the LS430 (a 2001 design) and the LS460 will just make it look like that much more of a relic that should've died 10 years ago. The DTS is better than only one car, the Lincoln Town Car, and that's saying very, very little.
    Someone here recently said that statistics are like bikinis . . . it's not what they show that counts . . . it's what they cover up. I liked that saying and remembered it, but which one of you guys said it?

Ehm... that would be moi !
    Ehm... that would be moi !

yep . . . it soytenly wuz.

TagMan
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Would there really be any diference between the current Lotus, and the next one??This one may blow you `out the the water`, but have you ever given any thought to a Morgan? I know I know they aren`t alike, just a question....Tony
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Phil, I’m sick. This beats Norman. Eh, Phil's the man. I bet he ain't afraid to buy cars rated with CR's black dots. Nope, he ain't afraid of that friggin' flatbed.

;-)
    The man just doesn't know how to play conservatively.
    Couldn't hit the driver all day and with 3 of the toughest holes left, all he needed to do was hit 2 iron off the tee just to place it in the fairway.

Phil is truly an enigma. I don't know what he was thinking.

Wonder if he drive a car like he plays golf.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    It's so puzzling. He played conservatively throughout the tournament and it worked. Then, poof!
    Would there really be any diference between the current Lotus, and the next one??This one may blow you `out the the water`, but have you ever given any thought to a Morgan? I know I know they aren`t alike, just a question....Tony

If by the current one you mean the '06 and by the next one you mean the '07, then it is not yet known how much difference there might be. The '06 was a big improvement over the '05, but it is too early to tell if the '07 will offer much of an improvement over the '06. Certainly the '07 would not likely be worse, so it stands to reason that there is little to lose, except waiting for about 60 days.

Morgan is certainly an interesting line, but I would not be a player for one. The Aeromax, like the Aero Eight makes use of BMW's 333-HP 4.4 naturally aspirated V8 with 331 lb-ft of torque. And it's plenty fast. Maybe a collector would buy a car like that.

TagMan
    You've got to feel sorry for Colin too.
    Man did he screw up #18. Thought he was going to pull it off.

Phil looked absolutely inconsolable in the clubhouse. Not much Amy could say.
    He wouldn't grant NBC an interview. Quite understandable.
    I almost know what that feels like- kinda like after Oac laces into me after one of my abrasive posts. ;)
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Yes I mean the 06..I just fortunately happened to see the car when I was getting my car repaired from hitting a rubber tread....It would seem that there would be very little to improve from the Lotus I saw...Mr Shiftright mentioned the Lotus a year or so ago and as he usually responds to a bmw 7 question, may be a good source for you. The reason I mentioned Morgan is that they rarely if ever change their body style, and it would seem that Lotus should also not change, which I think would then help hold the value--furher it may be possible to get a better deal on an 06...Tony
    May be the first time an Aussie has won?

TagMan
    Yup. Greg Norman the last Aussie with a chance to win, tied after 72 holes with Fuzzy Zoeller in the 1984 US Open but lost the next day in the playoff.