Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,683
    The Range Rover was very impressive and I'll drive it again in the future. The LX470 is the favorite given my excellent experience with it but the Range Rover must be seriously considered. Very high quality indeed. It's past reliability would - of course - concern me, particularly now as I intend to buy and take a business tax deduction rather than lease.

A8 - The tires were the standard ones. Now here's something interesting. I received a follow-up call from the sales rep today. No sales pressure - just a very curteous call to see if I was satisfied with the dealer, test drive etc. I had made it clear I wasn't buying or leasing until late in the year and was simply starting to look around. Anyway I told her I was somewhat disappointed in the A8's ride for such a high-end car. She told me that Audi had indeed stiffened the ride and that the car to go for if I wanted smoothness like a Lexus LS or an MB S would be the still unavailable VW Phaeton. Naturally the dealer also owned a VW dealership in another area of my county. So I wonder if Audi/VW has strategized the A8 to be its sport horse and the VW to be its quiet smooth riding car. I assume they are off the same chassis. Not a smart move if that is the case. Fighting MB and BMW (plus Lexus in the US) with two different brands (that ride differently but look similarly) is about as ill conceived a business plan as I've ever seen. So I don't think those who are finding the ride stiff, harsh and noisy are incurring anything but a VW planned experience. It's a shame because the A8 is a stunning car and the only thing I didn't like visually about the car is the rear lights. The paint on this car is the best I've ever seen.

Yes - that was the article. I didn't want you to miss it good buddy. Seeing Jay Leno pull up to a Mac drive through with a Maybach was about as good as seeing a poodle in the back seat of a classic Rolls Royce - being driven by a chaffeur - with no one else in the car. Saw it on Park avenue a long time ago and could never forget it.

Michael - what Lexus board are you referring to - the LS? That has 4000+ posts.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    You really should go for the Ranger Rover. Most people are awed by it show car looks and interior. I don't like SUVs myself, but I still think it's the best there is right now. Have you seen the new VW Toureg?

Your guess about VW and Audi's strategy is exactly correct. VW is going after Mercedes and Audi is going after BMW. I think in the end Audi will still be Audi and VW will have made some wonderful cars, but won't ever have the dealer setup, or image to take on Mercedes-Benz, nor will they have the sheer depth of models required to do that, nobody does. I'm really anxious to see the Phaeton in person, and check out it's interior, because I have sat in the new Toureg and it has a fabulous interior, probably just as good as the Range Rover, for 20K less. Since people already pay 30-50K for SUVs from everyone else including your average Ford dealer I don't see much a problem for the VW SUV, but the Phaeton I don't see making it here. VW's dealers, mainly their service practices aren't going to jive with a 60K (V8 model) or a 80K (W12 model) car......no matter how lavish the car is.

I posted a link to the Jay Leno/Maybach photos a few posts back. While I love the car's interior I can't say that I'm crazy about it's exterior. I'm so glad that particular stylist is no longer with Mercedes-Benz. He was also responsible for the new CLK, another Benz I'm not crazy about when it comes to it's looks.

M
  • t6553gwt6553gw Posts: 18
    My testing vehicle has Dunlop winter sports 2(Audi gave most US testing vehicle winter tires because we are in Michigan), I always use the firmest setting: dynamic and the ride just feel right, I did ride in a 19 inch potenza A8 and even on the lift setting still feel firmer than mine but I like it, also once I had to change my front left tire to the 19 inch(standard spare tire) and I can feel more grip and firmer ride so I guess this is just a personal preference, from my three and half month driving, I want to say the more I drive it, the more I like it.
    I saw a black phaeton in Frankfurt airport concourse this Jan., only cost 169 EURO to rent one day, it has a very impressive present and definitely more up scale interior than Toureg.
    Good show. Any idea on when it goes on sale here?

M
    I thing Phaeton won't be here until Nov.
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    merc1, incedently, do you remeber what rental co it was - am going there soon.
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    As much as I like the new Range Rover it's terrible showing on all surveys of reliability and even service satisfaction would prevent me from getting one. My other vehicles include Mercedes and Jag so it is not like I require Lexus perfection but until RR can demonstrate improvement I will have to look elsewhere for a SUV.
  • fennfenn Posts: 197
    I am pricing new cars and I was surprised to find that some Jaguar dealers are dealing on 2004 XJ8's. I found that a base car (no nav. etc.) can be bought at some dealers for about $56,000.........It puts the base Jaguar's selling price closer to a Q45's price than that of a big Beemer or Mercedes......
    That's my fear and I am used to Lexus perfection plus I love the LX470 as well.
  • dwongswongdwongswong Posts: 63
    1)Audi A8L
    2)Range Rover
    3)Mercedes SL500
    4)Lamborghini Gallardo

This list might change when the new Mercedes S-class, Lexus LX470, and Acura NSX come out. I don't know if I would ever spend more than $200,000 for any vehicle, even if I was rich.

I love modern cars. I like to read and see some of the most beautiful vehicles in the world. Where I live--Memphis,Tn-- I rarely get to see truly high end cars. I will occassionaly see a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, or Lotus. But, every time I see a beautiful luxury car, it is like eye candy. In my opinion, only women are more beautiful than a car. It might sound crazy, but that's how I feel. I lease a new car every three years, and it seems that I keep getting more and more luxury cars than before. Right now, my wife and I have a 2003 Audi A6 and a 2000 BMW 328CI. Hopefully soon we will be able to trade her BMW for a Lexus or an Infiniti.

A little off the subject, but have any of you seen the new Acura TL that is suppose to come out at the end of the year. I saw a picture of it on some auto show website, but I haven't heard anything about it since. It looked great to me. As always, drive safely out there.
  • I think the Acura is staying with the 6 cyl. engine...I like the looks of the car....but..
    That was actually t6553gw that quoted the price on the rental Phaeton.

M
    I think it's called Euro rental, but you will see the car close to those airport rental counter, also I called a local HERTZ rental, they told me for 139 EURO, you can rental a MB S class 3.5 V6/BMW 735i with 3.5 V8/Porsch Carrera 4s(tiptronic)/MB SLK. I didn't ask about the mileage limit but I think no limit, at least with C Class/3 Serise, I vague remember 250 EURO for the MB SL. Great price compare to U.S
    I just registered in BMWUSA site for the driving event, The car I picked is 760il, I am excited.
    Last time I was there was in November; I rented a car for some funny money - like a 150 bucks for a week - no, 10 days, actually (I barely needed a car, but still wanted to have something). Then I got out from the airport and filled up the tank - it was like 80 bucks - every time I fill up the car there, I experience a cultural shock...
  • it sickens me that acura doesnt put at least a V8 in their top of the line exotic. does the honda/acura motor company even make an engine with more than 6 cylinders? i hope that michael mattox is wrong, 'cause that would make me upset if the next generation NSX had another ballpark 250hp V6.
  • Danny

For $89,000 one would think there would be at least a V8

COMPACT COUPE/HATCHBACK Trans. Engine Cyl. Price
    Base Styles (MSRP: $89,765)
    2dr Coupe Auto. 3.0L 6cyl TMV Price
    2dr Coupe Manual 3.2L 6cyl TMV Price

Get A Free
    Price Quote
    on this 2003
    Acura NSX
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I finally saw a Phaeton today at a high-line Euro body shop I take my car to for scrapes. I chatted with the owner briefly about it, who said that he has had several come in for door ding treatment; the car's wide berth makes it a frequent victim, unfortunately. It was very, very imposing, as far as a VW goes. However, it is hard to imagine the Phaeton sharing the same logo with a VW Rabbit, you know? Hmm.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    Hi DannyTranny

wards is one of the automobile industry's most respected news outlets. They've been doing awards for 'engines of the year' for the last 9 years.

Honda got two awards this year for their 4 and the new V6.

Take a look at wardsauto.com.
  • linardlinard Posts: 59
    CAR Magazine just reviewed the W12 Phaeton and the reviewer didn't seem to think the Phaeton stands a chance at competing with the other luxury marques. Their main reason was quality, the car had a number of electrical issues and they didn't feel the driving experience was up to par. Interesting article...

I also disagree with the NSX being ridiculous, for a car that came out in 1989, it was named a favorite of both CAR and Top Gear magazines citing the overall completeness and precision of the car. While having only 290 horsepower, it has never been outclassed in any comparison I have ever read. It may be old, but not outdated.
  • I cannot seem to find the link to those pictures of Jay Leno in the Maybach. Can anyone please reference me to the message # or even re-post the link?
    It was in the NY Times Automobile section last Sunday. It may still be accessible at the NY Times on-line. Merc1 posted the link. It may also be available at the German car fan site.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/20/automobiles/20LENO.html

You have to register to view the article, but it's free.

The Maybach pictures are in the "slide show" linked in the multimedia sidebar. Be sure to check out the "interactive feature" about his Stanley Steamer in that sidebar as well!
    I wouldn't say that NSX is "ridiculous" either, but it's surely been outclassed for sure, for a number of years, staring with introduction of the Ferrari F355 and current Porsche 911. While Vipers and Corvette Z06s don't "outclass" in handling or engineering they'll definitely beat the NSX pretty badly. The NSX was outdated about 6 years ago at least. It's been outclassed in a few comparisions too, check out some of the old Road and Tracks, one test with Mario Andretti in particular where he picked the Ferrari over the NSX. Now the Europe only NSX-R is still very competitive. Of course with the sales volumes here, it made no sense to bring that version over here.

Sadly, Acura has said no to a V8, which doesn't look too promising because the competition already has V8's and now V10s are coming into focus. It sounded like the like the perfect business plan, a new V8 that could be shared with next RL and NSX.

M
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    ...actually, 6 cyls can be very fine engines. Last I checked, Porsche has done rathr OK for many years with a 6 pot in the 911. Beemer's 6 inline is arguably a better engineered engine than the bigger 8 cylinder engines, and when the car isn't porky the power-weight ration makes it the more desirable engine.

The US has a love-thing going for 8 cylinders that is actually not based on any engineering merits that are unique to this engine configuration. But car manufacturers know that the US biying public thinks more cylinders are better, and thus deliver on it.

By the way, I know car engineers that claim that by nature the inline six is a perfectly balanced engine configuration - more so than a V8 (or V6, too).
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Posts: 241
    A while back, I read an interesting article on Honda and its decision not to create engines as large as V8's for itself or for Acura. Sorry I can't find a link, it was pretty long ago and I didn't save it. The simple reasons stated in the article were that Honda has always prided itself in being a rather "green" company - meaning environmentally friendly, as far as automobiles go - and enjoys all of the government perks as well as the ability to advertize its Ultra Low Emissions status, etc. They've deemed it more profitable to not have huge, torque-replete engines, and having a V8 would take away from the image that they've created or are trying to build, of being, well, Honda. The number of cylinders actually doesn't matter so much anymore even for smoothness, and the big thing is displacement. Didn't Ferrari have something like a 2.0-liter V-12 at one point? Sure it was probably a great engine, but a busy machine like that could be simplified by simply having a 4 or 6 cylinder engine of the same size. It could even produce the same power if done correctly, and a simpler engine with less mechanical pieces equalling less chances to fail is often better. It's not like Hondas and Acuras aren't selling because their engines are not competitive, and they aren't trying to go up against an Aston Martin V12 or a Rolls Royce with any of their offerings.
    ...actually, 6 cyls can be very fine engines. Last I checked, Porsche has done rathr OK for many years with a 6 pot in the 911. Beemer's 6 inline is arguably a better engineered engine than the bigger 8 cylinder engines, and when the car isn't porky the power-weight ration makes it the more desirable engine.

The US has a love-thing going for 8 cylinders that is actually not based on any engineering merits that are unique to this engine configuration. But car manufacturers know that the US biying public thinks more cylinders are better, and thus deliver on it.

By the way, I know car engineers that claim that by nature the inline six is a perfectly balanced engine configuration - more so than a V8 (or V6, too).
    G35's or FX35's V6 is a good V6, but you want more, and more comes with 4.5L V8; overall feel of V8, it's smoothness at any rpm's gives you better quality feel. And, luxury car segment stipulates, that when you buy this kind of a car, you get collection of all the desireable goodies, available on the market. V6 is available in economy class segment - so, who wants it? May be it is hard to afford V10 or V12 for the money, but please, give me V8. And V6 - keep it in an Accord or Maxima...
    Actually, by nature an inline 6 has perfect balance and thus more smoothness than a V8. Ask an engine expert. The reason a V12 is also very smooth it's because it consists of 2 perfectly balanced I6 banks.