Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Doesn't the "E" in APEAL stand for execution? That being the case, why is reliability not included. Execution means the total package. Altho a vehicle looks good, wouldn't you want to drive it also?
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    For the '07 GS350, it should come with a 6MT and no VDIM, that would be ideal. Then bring in an IS500/6MT as an M/S/AMG fighter, after the GT car is released, say MY2009

That'll never happen on the GS. It's never had a manual gearbox, and it never will. Some sort of SMG is a remote possibility, but it will never be a true three pedal car. I'll eat my hat if Lexus gives the GS a 6MT. There are rumors that Lexus will turn the song and dance you currently have to do to get VDIM to go away into an actual VDIM off button, but I dont think anything has been confirmed.

What I'd like to see is the IS350 mated with AWD.
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    I'll eat my hat if Lexus gives the GS a 6MT.

very funny indeed !.... Yes, LG, you do have a gift of words...

And I'll eat my hat as well if the GS ever gets a true 3-pedal MT, that's why I said "it would be ideal"... I didn't say it will happen anytime soon ;)

AWD on the 350 would just be way too much weight to drag around. Improve the balance on the car to a 49.5/50.5 weight distribution, give it a stick, a kill switch for the nanny, and stiffen its suspenders a tad (bilstein/tein coilovers, a brace, etc) and it'll stump on an e90 330i...

AND pls Lexus, bring a vert/coupe IS350 as well as an IS500/6MT... in 2 years tops...
    Even better for the IS, please give a legit 6-speed to row your own to get maximum thrust out of the now ubiquitous 3.5L.

More on the Lexus subject. I read on a Tokyo site where the upcoming LS may offer a true Sport option, as in 750/60i Sport and Audi A8 Sport Pkg. with a 20" wheel/tire option and 4 position electronic air suspension, much like Audi's 4-way adjustable air/pneumatic suspension.

I surely hope this is true as the upcoming LS is hugely awaited. There is even talk that the 600H may have the Sport pkg. as standard. But very unlikely to be our standard offering on either model, much like how the European makes do.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    The 2007 IS will have a VDIM kill-switch.

The future gets so bright.....

I gotta wear :shades:

Someday, the IS350 will have a stick, and the world will be better place, no doubt.

DrFill
    Goodie... goodie.... That sounds swell for Lexus to do this. Geez ! A true SP for an LS series ? BTW, the 600hL comes standard with AWD, so tuning it for a sporty feel should not be too much of a stretch. I don't see us getting the SWB 600H anytime soon, which is sad really cos that car really belong here as well. Oh well....

The Tokyo CarMag of May 2006 listed the 600hL with massive 19" rims, and upgrading that to 20" + AWD + HSD = lots of weight... How would this car handle all that weight ? At projected 430HP, that may not be cutting it, IMO. But with all these good news around the corner for Lexus, do you suppose that this is deja vu all over again ?? :blush: :blush:
    AWD on the 350 would just be way too much weight to drag around. Improve the balance on the car to a 49.5/50.5 weight distribution, give it a stick, a kill switch for the nanny, and stiffen its suspenders a tad (bilstein/tein coilovers, a brace, etc) and it'll stump on an e90 330i...

I'm sure they could keep the weight gain down to a reasonable 150lbs or so. 0-60 might be up to 5.5 seconds, oh, the horror. The added grip would be worth it. A few years ago, Top Gear tested a RS6 against an E55 in the wet. The E was nearly uncontrollable, while the RS6, despite the all wrong weight distribution, stayed glued to the track and smoked the RWD E.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    They need to send it to somebody like Lotus, and have them spec out a proper sport-tuned suspension. Plenty of companies send their cars to Lotus to get them to handle properly, there's no shame in it.

I could have sworn that I read here somewhere that Porsche was involved in the fine tuning of the handling of the GS or IS????

M
    I hear what you're saying OAC about the GS, but a stick shift in a mid-sizer isn't going to happen from MB, Lexus, or anyone else for that matter, except BMW. No market for it. People who buy E/GSs don't want to row their own gears. The A6 might find a few buyers for a stick shifted A6, but not MB or Lexus. If Lexus gave the GS350 a stick then the IS350 should get one too since it is the same powertrain.

You're right about Toyota/Lexus not getting where they are by being stupid, but that same straight laced practice is what keeps them out of the hunt with enthusiasts. Their business side won't allow them to put a stick shift in a car like a GS350 and apparently the IS350 because the sales (think business) would be so few. This is where European companies are willing to take the risk and cater to the enthusiasts. Mercedes doesn't sell many C230 or C350 manuals, but I have seen them at the dealer before. If Lexus/Toyota would let their hair down some they'd gain some traction with the Eurocarfans. Toyota and Lexus don't have a single sporty 2-door car worth mentioning, the Scion TC and Lexus SC430 don't cut it when they've built something like a Supra in the past. I'd buy a Toyota Supra in a minute if they built one for the sole purpose of being a 350Z killer.

M
    I can't wait to see what you decide!

M
    I agree 100%....

Lawyers and bean counters... What will the world be without them ? ;)
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Consider this. Maserati's "heritage" when they came back to the states was makers of Chrysler powered pieces of total garbage. It couldn't have been much worse, and yet the Coupe and Spyder did well in their initial year.

Aw c’mon. It’s just not true and the statement is very un-Lexusguy. Surely you are not groping to reduce Maserati heritage to Chrysler’s TC by Maserati, an ephemeral, trivial relationship that isn’t even worth mentioning.

Even though Maserati is one of automotive history’s orphans, it is a lust marque in the ilk of Sophia Loren thanks to the Italian DNA. In addition, the current Masers came to the states courtesy of Ferrari.

Lastly, how many dreams have you had of Soph… I mean owning a Quattroporte?

;-)
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Lay that Chrysler stuff on Merc, not me.

:P
    Aw c’mon. It’s just not true and the statement is very un-Lexusguy. Surely you are not groping to reduce Maserati heritage to Chrysler’s TC by Maserati, an ephemeral, trivial relationship that isn’t even worth mentioning.

I didn't say that's what Maserati always was. I've defended Maserati on this board before. My point was that people didn't consider the Bi-turbo and the QP of the '80s and then skip Maserati's comeback cars because of how bad they were.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Heritage seems to be of overwhelming importance here. I honestly dont see what the fuss is all about?

Reminds me of a BMW ad in the early 1980s with the following slogan:

A pedigree car is defined by the fancy ornament on its hood , but a BMW is defined by what is under its hood . (unfortunately I cant recall the exact words of the ad)

Interestingly BMW heritage in the USA begins not with a HELM or a luxury performance vehicle but with a VW Bug slayer called the BMW 600:

Despite such a heritage I chose to buy a BMW 530xi Touring anyways. So much for heritage!

Interestingly BMW heritage in the USA begins not with a HELM or a luxury performance vehicle but with a VW Bug slayer called the BMW 600:

I think BMW's true heritage today begins with the M1. Despite all of its compromises and flaws, it started the M division and gave the world the M3 and M5. BMW before that was always second-fiddle to Mercedes.
    We all have to start somewhere. BMW came from that to being the power player and profit packing monster it is today.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    I think BMW's true heritage today begins with the M1.

In other words based on your timeline BMW's true heritage is not much older than the heritage of Lexus or Infiniti.

So now you may ask what exactly is my point? My point is heritage in itself is quite meaningless. In fact Lincoln and Cadillac have far stronger heritages than both BMW or Lexus but that fact in itself will not sway many to buy a Cadillac or Lincoln instead.
  • quemfalaquemfala Posts: 107
    I"ve been perusing these boards looking for financial and technical info on various marques. It's been a great education. I Love the interplay and comparisons between the companies. But I have a question -- doesn't anybody "buy" a car anymore? Especially with the bimmer lovers -- are they the Hertz of the future? What's going to happen with these used cars? It's great to see the stats on the car "sales", but are they really sales? I'm venturing a guess that BMW, nevermind the current add campaign about being and "independent" company, will soon be folded into a financially stronger company. just an opinion, but it will happen.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Merc,

There was a blurb in an auto mags news section a few years ago about the GS and Porsche. I posted that so maybe that is your reference. Don't know if there was any truth to it or if the mag even had good data. That was the only time and place I saw that so no confirms ever existed.