Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    I already posted this in the LPS forum but I thought this may be of some interest to some of you who are obsessed with reliability:

Here is a list of the least reliable luxury autos ?(there are no MBs, BMWs, Audis or Porsches on the list)

link title
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Here is a list of the least reliable luxury autos ?(there are no MBs, BMWs, Audis or Porsches on the list)

Here's a more world reliability view. Good results for Porsche, Jag, and BMW, and pretty good for Audi. Still very poor for Mercedes. Only the French cars and Fiat were worse. The M class came in an amazing 155th of 159 models.

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2005/11/stories/01/3.html
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    My suspicion is that the "CEOs" in the survey might include the "CEOs"/owners of some very small businesses, i.e., drycleaning stores, etc.
    Great link. A lot of data for a free site.
    The survey must be based on the existing clients of CareerBuilding.com. I highly doubt such clients would include a CEO of one drycleaning stand or a CEO of one corner store.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Dewey,

How about the fact that they are leased by the company and driven by (or chafeurred for) the CEO's. Find me that stat. You think that is 25%??? Do you really think a CEO drives to (or is driven to) his $2-$20mln+ house in a Corolla like car?? It's easy to say you don't own a helm if it's a company car. It's the technically accurate answer and the morally inaccurate answer.

Merc - I was really thinking the market share issue in the last 5 years. The post I was responding to used a 10 year time period.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Check this:

Methodology
    Harris Interactive® conducted the online study between June 21 and June 23, 2006 among a nationwide sample of 2,344 U.S. adults (aged 21 to 65) who have a valid driver’s license and are employed or looking for work. Of the 2,344 qualified respondents who completed the survey, 340 respondents qualified as a CEO, Chairman, Executive Director, President or COO of the company in which they are employed. The other 2,004 respondents are categorized as the general public segment. No weighting was applied to this data and therefore the results cannot be projected to the U.S. adult or CEO populations.
    source

Ask yourself this: When 15% of a "nationwide sample of U.S. adults" qualifies as "CEO, Chairman, Executive Director, President or COO", what size companies do you think we are talking about, on average, and what average compensation for the "CEO"?
    Ask yourself this: When 15% of a "nationwide sample of U.S. adults" qualifies as "CEO, Chairman, Executive Director, President or COO", what size companies do you think we are talking about, on average, and what average compensation for the "CEO"?

I dont want to dwell on this too long. If this was a random sample then I agree. This apparently is not a random sample and is based on surveying clients and employment seekers in the businessworld. Executive Search is a big part of many employment agencies and may include a larger number of senior executives than what you would find in the general population.

LJ the cars primarily driven by CEOs is on average a 25K$ car. This is not about leasing or owning.

Although I must confess that I do find the results of this survey quite surprising and maybe even somewhat dubious myself. Eighty one percent of CEOs driving Impalas, Accords, Camrys, Windstars and Siennas? While only 19 percent of Corporate CEO parking places are occupied by a luxury car. Highly unlikely indeed.
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,661
    Hey anyone out of work can create a consulting business and call himself President. My lawnmowers card says he's the president of his business.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Dewey,

Terrific data, but with gaping holes. Stimulating topic, I might add.

So . . . which is it? . . . to motivate our children to strive to be:
    a) sports superstar
    b) hollywood actor
    c) CEO
    d) none of the above!

Thanks again Dewey.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    To LI Gold Coast for 4 days.
    Saw three LS 400's all in pristine condition too!
    Nice to see some pride of ownership.
    Apparently a great investment for those folks.
    Haven't seen any in Florida.
    Saw my share of gorgeous 911's too. One in particular-a spanking new Carrera convertible in an ivory white which was really the cat's meow!

Hey Oac-sometimes one's prayers do get answered! ;)

Also, I really should re-think the term "moderate." Tagman has definite Team Europe leanings. You were away so long, I guess I forgot! No offense meant! Mea culpa! :blush:

Very much enjoyed the well-done description of what makes Team Europe tick.
    Pure poetry. So artfully constructed by Blkhemi.
    After reading that, how can anybody not be intoxicated with BMW, Audi or MB? Certain aspects of human behavior are just a little beyond my powers of comprehension, I guess.
    Some of you folks should really take one of their fine vehicles out for a spin.
    Go ahead. Have some fun! You may never look back.

I agree with Tagman-that photo of an apparent BMW was quite barfable.

Lexusguy: You wounded me! :sick:
    Welcome back, Howard.

The Carrera was nice, huh? White w/ a light interior I imagine.

Sincerely,

ModerateMan ;)
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Right back atcha! :)

Yes-it was a stunning vehicle.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Not sure what your point is. All you have established is that the correlation between self-styled CEO's and luxury car ownership is pretty weak. ljflx never said anything about CEO's in your quoted text. The correlation between existing ownership of luxury car and the next purchase however tend to be pretty high. It's not as if all CEO's (self-claimed ones included) were tossed into a lotto and only 19% of them came out with a luxury car! What does self-appointed CEO's (my dog is one too, in her own mind) have to do with luxury car ownership? Your own statistic establishes that they have little to do with each other. Can we get back to talking about luxury cars? ;-)
    Please refer to the last paragraph and sentence of post 17372.

Thanks!
    While much of that CEO data is suspect, and of limited usefulness, I found the entire concept intriguing and interesting conceptually. I certainly don't find any adequate reason here to share brightness04's objection.

Thanks for the contribution Dewey, and BTW, your disclaimer in the last paragraph of post 17372 was MORE than adequate.

TagMan
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    TagMan:

CEOs driving $25K cars in America, the land of corporate greed, and capitalism run amock, and you defend the person who posted such drivel !!! Let me ask you, do YOU know of a company CEO who drives a $25K car to work daily ? I am not talking of self-styled CEO gardeners, plumbers, electricians, and others like these (aka: small business owners) who drive beat up cars that would qualify for this survey...

Talking of CEOs, my former CEO drives around in an XJR, while his SVP chooses b/w a Porsche and a Bimmer-5 for his daily ride. My neighbor, not a CEO, has 5 cars on his drive way, for a 2-person household (kids older and out of the nest). None of his cars are under $30K. And next to him is another with a jacked-up F250, and a lovely mustard-yellow Boxter. $25K car ? Puleaze !!!

May I remind you what CEOs make in this country relative to the average employee ? Try more than 250-times see link title, and you'd expect to see these $Gadzillion-aires riding around in Kia/Hyundai/Corolla/Civics.... BTW, what would $25K buy you these days for a brand new car ? There, I rest my case !
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Until Lexus turns in JD scores of 0 PP 100, there will be the unlucky few with problems. That said, I've never heard of an SC430 with a broken top, and Ive never seen an LS being taken away on a flat bed. SL, S, care to comment? Didnt think so.

Well said, LG. Isn't it simply funny to read of examples of less than stellar LS430s and the Germancarfans conclude LS must be unreliable ! Its called statistics, guys.... I didn't hear anyone grumble about my 8yo LS400 with 114K miles and narry a problem. Does that not qualify as a statistical sample ?

And BlkHemi's very reliable MBs and Audis are statistically outside the realm... since he typically doesn't keep them long enough to break down much. At 10K miles, any car that doesn't hold up - be it $10K or $200K - is pure lemon ! Try 100K miles and then tell us how many cars you owned remained relatively trouble-free, then we got real statistics.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    Although I must confess that I do find the results of this survey quite surprising and maybe even somewhat dubious myself. Eighty one percent of CEOs driving Impalas, Accords, Camrys, Windstars and Siennas? While only 19 percent of Corporate CEO parking places are occupied by a luxury car. Highly unlikely indeed.

How does this in any way or shape relate to the likelihood of a buyer of Lexus LS600HL would consider a Prius as replacement? Your own data purported to establish that CEO's and luxury car buyers are _not_ correlated. So why bother bringing self-claimed CEO's in here at all? regardless bona fides or fraudsters or just someone eeking out a living like most of us?

LS, S and 7 make up for less than 2% of the car market, that factoid does not however suggest that a current owner of LS, S or 7 would have 98% chance of buying an Accord/Camry or something like that as replacement; CEO or not is quite irrelevent.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Regarding the IS300, my point was to show that it was not Roadkill, as Team Europe likes to put over on these airwaves. The fact that it was a couple of points behind the vaunted 328i shows it had great driving dynamics, and deserves respect.

Nah it doesn't because sales and more sales is part of the Lexus mantra and the IS300 never sold well relative to its competitors and it was a total outcast among traditional Lexus buyers. The car was a Toyota in drag, nothing more. You're still using sales one minute (SC430) to defend a comparo laggard, but you'll use comparos the next (IS300) to defend a sales laggard. Sales and more sales are what Lexus fans harp about more than anything else so if doesn't at least sell decently it ain't worth mentioning in Lexusland.

YES, I SAID IT! The S-Class will not sell 3k a month in 2007. It'll fall to 1500-2000 a month when the new LS changes the market direction this October.

Oh I don't doubt this at all, I wouldn't say 1500 units, but 2K yes. There are only so many buyers for a car that starts at 90K. Now MB will at least attempt to counter with the low-priced S450 at some point.

There WILL be plenty of buyers who would rather pay $900-1000 a month for an LS, than $13-1400 a month for an S550.

And there are plenty who can't (or won't) make that jump either which is what the LS depends on for a great many of it's sales, a cheaper price!

M