Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I went from a l995 S500, which I had for 7 years and liked a lot, to an LS430, and I have never regretted it. Nor have I regretted not getting the new generation S500. I consider it to be a shrunken, cheapened version of the earlier generation car. I have owned 3 different Lexus models in the last 5 years, and the reliability has been far superior to what I have experienced with MB cars, not to mention the dealer experience. However, I have not given up on MB. I recently replaced my RX300 with a new E320 wagon. If Lexus offered anything close to it, I would have gone with Lexus. (How about a GS300 wagon, Lexus?) Except for marginally comfortable seats, I am really enjoying the E320 wagon.
  • adu1adu1 Posts: 47
    FWIW, rumor has Lexus planning a "sportwagon" (which can mean all kinds of things, these days) variant of the next-generation GS.
  • I am about to order a 2003 745i. The question I have is regarding the Adpative Ride Package. I have tried all dealerships in my area to see if I can compare cars with and without this package but have been unsuccessful. Can anybody give me some hands on experience or insight into what this Adpative Ride is all about. I understand the Self Leveling part but will it make a dramatic improvement in ride quality (handling, etc) ?
  • I don't consider this a real luxury car, but...

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=3229

• When does the luxury tax expire? Is it Jan. 1, 2003? Anybody know, or is there another board that addresses this?
  • I think I answered my own question, if this is reliable:

http://www.aiada.org/gr/issues/luxtax/luxtax.htm

Anybody know any different?

Tim

• My LS430 has the Adaptive Vehicle Air Suspension if that is similar. The improvements in ride and handling appear to be only slight. The Self Leveling and lowering feature reduce the Cd, improve gas mileage, decrease tire wear and should reduce wear and tear on both the drive train and other suspension parts; but again the improvement is only slight. On the other hand, on many makes, it has the reputation of being the first major system to fail. My brother-in-law estimates that it will cost $3000 to replace a similar system on his Lincoln. It should cost more on a BMW. My recommendation is that unless it already comes on the car you want, don't order it as an option.
  • ljflx and stevestein, I didn't know you guys were over here again and embroiled with some old adversaries!! I thought all the fun had gone out of this place when arcoates disappeared. I see at least one "benzaholic" is still battling, facts notwithstanding.

And stevestein, that analysis based on movement trends between brands was very insightful.

Can't believe I missed so many posts and such a spirited - if predictable - debate. Back on the LS board we're reduced to arguing about the nav system being a deadly distraction!
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    Flint350 - I thought you were still reading. i would never want you to miss the fun. Some interesting comments on the S-class board if you haven't been there re S-class build quality and staying power.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    Eric Gillin, a staff reporter for TheStreet.com, is doing a story about the luxury used car market and is looking to talk to people who have recently bought a used luxury car.

Feel free to email Eric.Gillin@thestreet.com with your comments or contact information. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ihave purchased a 2002 ls 430-u/l with 4ooo miles.
    this is a rare find.bought from an estate sale,
    the dealer kept me from going to mb to sniff around.i bought the car for 58k from the dealer
    with 5.25% financing.lexus somtimes makes it hard
    to rear off to another brand name.the lexus financing is easy to hop on since they can play
    with the big boys in % numbers.so far this car is
    flawless except for the goodyear tires that need to be replaced at 35k miles
  • linardlinard Posts: 59
    http://germancarfans.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=1698

Our S class (1987) was safe, but this one tops our big time...

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yeah that is amazing but nevermind that, Mercedes' aren't good cars anymore according
    to a special few on here.

If it doesn't have the fanciest stereo, the softest leather, extra glossy wood, lowest sheen
    plastics, and coffin-like silence then it's a cheap pitiful car. Thats all you need nowadays
    to "impress". Nevermind all that wasted engineering beneath the car.

M
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,662
    All of these cars have great engineering. Some of the ones MB differentiates itself with only come as options and only end up on a handful of cars anyway.

What's with all the exaggerations and more importantly what's with all the bitterness?
    Yes all these cars have great engineering, but for some if they can't see it in the interior's plushness, or window sticker it isn't important. Safety is one of those things.

"Some of the ones MB differentiates itself with only come as options and only end up on a handful of cars anyway."

Not entirely true. Electro-hydraulic braking is on every E-Class and SL. ABC is available on all the S and CL-Class cars, and MB's unequaled safety engineering is present on every car they make.

"What's with all the exaggerations and more importantly what's with all the bitterness? "

What exaggerations? That seems to be all the talk on here now, plastic quality, wood and stereos. If a car doesn't excel in those areas it's not up to par, everything else doesn't matter. Not bitter at all, just going by the mood on here lately.

M
  • So youre saying that Mercedes leaves absolutely no room for improvement in the area of interior quality?
    Sure they do, but plush leather, fancy stereos and the like was never what made a Mercedes a Mercedes. It was always the engineering and features that seperated them from the rest. Something that they still do admirably I might add, engineering. I guess I'm just tired of reading about plastics, leather and stereos, things that can be had in any car.

M
  • pluskinpluskin Posts: 79
    Seems to me that since you are paying a premium for a Benz over any equivalent car in its class, there should be no excuses. If you are paying top dollar, shouldn't their interiors be up to par?

Anyway, great engineering is a matter of perception. Are Mercedes clearly better engineered than other luxury makes? Do they handle better than BMW's? Have better reliability than Lexus's? Better craftsmanship than Audi's? Safer than Volvo's? Are features like electro-hydraulic braking or ABC adding significantly to your driving experience?

Don't get me wrong, they are for the most part very nice cars. But this vaunted engineering prowess is mostly a thing of the past.
  • cul8tercul8ter Posts: 10
    You have to remember that merc1 has never owned a Mercedes or any of the other cars discussed on this board. So, his opinions are all based on what he has read or on test drives. He has not had the privilege of sitting in the Mercedes service department for four hours only to find out that they are going to need to keep the car for a week to repair some malfunction. The engineering of my S500 has seen many more days in the service department than my LX470, LS430, H1, and Volvo S80 combined. I am confident that all of these vehicles would withstand the most severe accidents. Unfortunately, there's always a question in the back of my mind as to whether all of the electronics based safety devices (air bags, abs, etc.) in my S500 will work properly when needed. Does good engineering equal reliable engineering at Mercedes Benz? Maybe, when it comes to safety systems, but definitely not when it comes to any other aspect of the car's engineering. Anyway, I know merc1 seems to have plenty of positive things to say about Mercedes, but I don't think it would be wise to put too much stock in his opinions because they are based primarily on what he's read or what someone has told him. It would be like expecting a person who has read every book about playing baseball for the Yankees and has talked to every second baseman who's ever played to be able to suit up and play second base for the Yankees. How much do you think that person would love the Yankees or second base after seeing how it really is to play in the majors?
  • "Seems to me that since you are paying a premium for a Benz over any equivalent car in its class, there should be no excuses. If you are paying top dollar, shouldn't their interiors be up to par?"

Amen!

World class car engineering should include the engineering that goes into making all customers happy...not just the engineering that goes to making engineers and car enthusiasts happy.