Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Because of your recent post, I glanced at the 2007 LS board.

Their conversation seem to be most concerned with what we HELM posters are talking about.

I wonder what a new poster looking for insights concerning the 2007 LS would think going over there for the first time?

I would hope the Host over there gently reminds them not to snipe at us, but to discuss the new 2007 LS. :)
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    the review states what "team Europe" has always been willing to say, The LS, and Lexus in general makes great quality cars that severely lack in descent driving dynamics but for anybody that doesn't care about that it's truly a great car, at a great value price.
    Bottom line, don't feel bad about calling a car as you see it I think the veterans here Merc, Tag, Design, Lg, HP, blkhemi have way more knowledge of cars than I do, but ya can't lose sleep [not that anyone is] over someone that can't handle that their particular choice in cars isn't being worshiped in all categories. None of these HELMS do "everything" well. They can all stand to improve is some area. End of rant
    Now, back to the discussion of German vs Italian Vs English design philosophy. Very interesting IMO and hopefully not to off topic for our good host.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    What would also be really good is if the Host over here gently reminds all of you to discuss the cars and not the other discussion! ;)
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    I asked one of the Lexus fans long time ago what the advantage was to having a V8 in a luxury car that needs to be revved (to a sports car like RPM) in order to get the torque/power to move the car, but never got an answer. Simply put a larger engine that makes better low-end torque doesn't need to work as hard.

I recall that thread, and I remember how I mentioned the advantage of torque, as is relates to smooth quiet luxury, and then you sent me a link to the CLS AMG video which demonstrated torque at the extreme.

To Lexus' credit though I'm sure there isn't an ounce of harshness...

Not so fast, merc. That is not the case. They can deny it all they want, but there IS, I repeat, there IS harshness to the LS high RPM engine. Lexus has done a great job at isolating it, but it was one of the things that bothered me on my test drive of the LS last Thanksgiving. I wonder how much different this one will be.

TagMan
    Thanks for posting this review of the new LS.

What a great quote! "Objectively it does everything you could ask of it, subjectively it falls a little short."
    Really sums up what we Euros have been saying for years.

Am I reading too much into this, or does the guy driving the new LS in the photo look completely bored out of his skull?

As to the new sport package, I hope this version will be available at many Lexus dealers for people like me to test.
    I remember last year inquiring about the "euro-tuned" version, and both salespeople at 2 different dealers looked at me like I was nuts-they acted like they didn't even know it was available!
    Well, at least the coffee was good-served with cream from genuine Angus cows!
    It's pretty easy getting used to the "Lexus Experience." :blush:
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    For a car with so many weaknesses, the LS (and accompanying board) sure gets a lot of airtime!

I frequently hear that the LS430 rattles like a hampster cage when you put your foot into it. This is what is known as "common knowledge". Hopefully Lexus will correct that defect in the LS460.

Does anyone else find it hard to fathom a 4300lb car that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds being short on low-end torque, or NEEDING to be revved to draw power?

Maybe it has the greatest mid-range torque in the Universe! :)

I know everyone here is eager to see what the Next LS can do. In about two weeks, we will have more answers than questions.

Time will reveal. The force is strong with this one. ;)

DrFill
    only hope that if an auto rag tests the new LS, that they do so with the sportier suspension setup.

Testing the base LS will be a waste of time because there is no way a performance-oriented magazine is going to rave about it.
    Does anyone else find it hard to fathom a 4300lb car that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds being short on low-end torque, or NEEDING to be revved to draw power?

Good question, of course, but the current LS has indeed relied on a high RPM power curve.

Is this new LS packing a completely different engine technology that should change things in some significant way?

TagMan
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    If Lexus is smart, they'll lend the sport-leaning car rags (which is pretty much all of them) sport versions of the LS for the comparos.
    Wasn't there a sportier version of the current LS that was made for reviews, but was subsequently very "rare" in the real-life marketplace?

TagMan
    There was a euro-tuned version, and you are right it was rare. But I don't recall it ever being reviewed.
    Interesting that the enhanced performance version carried the designation "Euro"-tuned. ;)

Never reviewed? What a waste.

TagMan
    That in my opinion would be a "no-brainer" and having such a vehicle available in a dealer's lot would get me over there to check it out.
    Makes good business sense.
    You realize, of course, the original name was supposed to be "Club Euro-Tuned." :blush:
    My guess is that an LS460 in sport trim is still going to under-handle an S550 with ABC. But since the car rags are likely to try to equip the cars to be closer in msrp, they probably won't test the S with ABC. Which means that if Lexus supplies them with a sport version, the LS has a chance of handling credibly well against a non-ABC S. We'll see.
    Yes. This will probably be true.
    But if Toyota can make the Camry SE fun to drive, I don't see why Lexus can't offer a similar package for the LS.
    I wouldn't be expecting miracles-just some improvement in handling with more road feel from the steering.

I still have 2 years to decide on my next vehicle and as Designman will tell you, I have a rather short list of around 27 vehicles which seem to change daily, but if Lexus made a serious effort, they could sell a lot more vehicles as folks like me would be taking a look.

I highly doubt that I would ever get an LS, but a sportier offering would make me curious enough to take a test drive.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    For a car with so many weaknesses, the LS (and accompanying board) sure gets a lot of airtime!

Stop flattering yourself. The new LS is imminent so it’s only fitting to discuss it here. In case you haven’t noticed, this is one of the places where it can and should be discussed. Any car that is in the thread masthead will be put through the mill in the same manner, ESPECIALLY upon its introduction.

Having said that, you should know that we still love you and your self-exiled compatriots.

;-)
    I highly doubt that I would ever get an LS, but a sportier offering would make me curious enough to take a test drive.

I will test drive it anyway, just to know exactly for myself how it handles (and compares) . . . just like I did the current version, and more than once.

I will test drive it anyway, just to know exactly for myself how it handles (and compares) . . . just like I did the current version, and more than once.

TagMan
    Well, unfortunately Canadian Driver put a damper on testing the LS for me as they indicated "same old, same old."
    I wouldn't go to the showroom unless the sportier suspension was made available to drive. I will make some phone calls and inquire.

Excellent Post #2370.

As with previous posts of mine, I'm sure this message will self-destruct within several minutes.

Maybe if I disguise myself...... :shades:
    Yeah. That oughta work!