Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Avg. Displacement Across the Lineup
    5.90 Liters MB

hahahahaha. You've got to question the accuracy of this guy's calculations.
  • ctsangctsang Posts: 237
    The new 300 will use the new E platform.

Just wait and see. This is from an insider in Auburn Hills, MI. They have to do it to save money.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,861
    I agree that this should be an easy point to grasp. They are similar because they are both at the top concerning excellent practices, etc. Others are trying to catch up.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Tag, in addition to all your other accomplishments, I see that you are now an expert on engine design. WOW. Lexus should be calling any second for more of your brilliant insights!

• I agree, there needs to be more differentiation and distinction between the brands, Honda/Acura suffers it too although my TSX does look different enough from an Accord both exterior/interior wise to satisfy me.

Lexus/Toyota's gotten better over the years at increasing the gap between the two but it's clear to see the resemblance between Avalon's and LS's
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    The first driving impression we gained at Acura’s press launch of its brand-new 2007 MDX in western Pennsylvania wasn’t on the road. It was on a track. And so confident was Acura in the dynamic talents of its new 7-passenger crossover ute, it brought along a trio of competitors, including the Porsche Cayenne V-6, the BMW X5 4.4i and the Volvo XC90 V-8.

How did it do? Beautifully, honestly, trouncing the Volvo, out-gunning the fat Cayenne and nearly matching the X5 in the fun-to-drive arena. Most telling was its behavior in transitory moves under full throttle. That’s when Acura’s sophisticated, full-time Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system—which varies torque distribution not only from front to rear, but from one rear wheel to the other, depending on traction conditions—showed off its talents most clearly. With the MDX’s optional active dampers calming body motions, it felt as if the hand of God was cupped on the rear bumper, scooting the car through every curve. There was never any sort of compromise of stability or traction. Just confident, high-speed, high-thrill curve carving. Brilliant.

....it appears that this new vehicle is something even ardent car-lovers like us could enjoy.

article

I like it except for the fake wood.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,662
    I know...how about 4.2L for Audi…they must sell a lot of W12’s.

I think this guy (sitting in his parents basement) sometimes invents information so he’ll have fresh content (fresh but inaccurate)

I think…that he just added up the sizes sold for each type of model…then divided by the models…that it is not based on sales.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Tag, in addition to all your other accomplishments, I see that you are now an expert on engine design. WOW. Lexus should be calling any second for more of your brilliant insights!

Thanks for the sarcastic compliment, but which brilliant insights are you referring to? Are you suggesting that posting a link about engines was brilliant? Gimmee a break.

I certainly want to take all the credit I can ;) (lol) . . . but in this case I am not sure what the heck you are talking about.

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    It gets better, BMW is supposedly interested in buying Aston-Martin. Aston would make a perfect fit in the BMW Group IMO. Aston would fit in neatly between BMW and Rolls-Royce which is sizeable gap. There would be no overlap between BMW and Aston or Aston and Rolls. BMW could bring Aston's quality up to BMW's level and give Aston some help in the engine room, the V12 needs a power boost and the V8 in Vantage could be replaced with a M designed V8. This could work.

It wouldn't just work, I think it would be the best Aston Martin ever. BMW could do for Aston what Audi has done for Lambo. The M3's V8 already has more horsepower than the V8 Vantage. If they used that as a base, 480hp+ wouldn't be a problem, which would make it the 911 fighter it was supposed to be.
    HP, go over to the luxury performance sedans forum and check out post #8253 and look at the link. I would post the link here but I don't know how. Great video!!

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    remember reading a discussion on the similarities between a Volvo S40 and the Mazda 3. They officially share the same platform; but have different engines, HVAC, suspensions, floorboards, insulation…practically everything is different.

Apparently your above statement is correct based on Merc1's post below.

Nothing has been officially decided or announced about a new 300 or a E-Class. Neither car is scheduled for a re-design until the 2009 model year. Also, the current 300 doesn't just simply use the old W210 E-Class chassis either. It uses bits and pieces from it, not the entire chassis in the way the Crossfire uses the old SLK chassis. The suspension design, seats, dashboard layout and other things are clearly W210 E-Class, but the rest isn't

BUT we all dont know yet to what extent the 300 and E will share a future platform?

Shortly after the "Merger of Equals" (as they wanted all of us to believe), DC wanted extensive platform and drivetrain sharing between various Mitsubushi and Chyrsler autos.

Now unfortunately Mitsubushi is out of the picture so the next best step for DC to do is to increase the sharing between drivetrains and platforms between Benzes and Chryslers. And what worries me most is the planned extent of sharing between these two marques. I just hope DC does not end up slaying the goose(Mercedes Benz) in order to save its eggs(Chrysler). I guess only time will tell.
    Sharing V6s is ok, many automakers do that. V8s however, should remain M-B exclusive.

Lexusguy,

there is no company on this earth that is as good in platform sharing between luxury and non luxury autos as Toyota. Unfortunately very few other companies share that success.

The disasterous details of Jaguar/Ford platform sharing has been recently discussed here. The details of the success of platform sharing between Honda and Acura is evident when you follow Acura's dismal sales results. Platform sharing among Nissan and Infiniti cars have been discontinued due to the non-success of the I35.

VW has discovered the limitations of platform sharing with Audi and new/future models with the exception of the A3 will non-VW independent platfoms. In the 1990s BMW was smart enough not to do any Rover/BMW platform sharing .

IMO putting a unique V8 drivetrain in a MB that has an identical platform with a Chrysler will be a disaster. In this case automotive history is on my side.
  • Don't agree with the comparisons. Just the opposite.
    You can easily got your Lexus serviced at the local Toyota dealer but you cannot get your SLK serviced at your Chrysler dealer

Crossfire is old tech.SLK350 is a real sport car.
    Crossfire is old tech.SLK350 is a real sport car

Absolutely correct. Despite my worries I think in the end DC will be smart enough to keep Benzes as unique at possible. In fact I dont think they have a choice.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    GM, Ford, and Chrysler made huge $en$e out of platform sharing for years, within their respective divisions, basically rebadging the same cars.

Yes, there were mistakes at the old big three, but they were not as much about platform sharing as they were about poor business management and poor quality.

TagMan
    GM, Ford, and Chrysler made huge $en$e out of platform sharing for years, within their respective divisions, basically rebadging the same cars

You are correct in saying that platform sharing among the Big 3 did make sense for many years. But the result of their past rebadged engineering is the current lack of seriousness among consumers for Big Three badges.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Thank you Houdini1.

I posted last week that I am tired of reading all these ecstatic reviews in the British press of vehicles that we can't purchase here-namely, the diesels.

The 535d is 10% cheaper to purchase and 10% cheaper to maintain than its gasoline equivalent.

It does give up a bit of driving excitement to its "petrol" cousin, but the only people who would probably notice would be those who race the two.

Hopefully, some of these fine diesel vehicles will be available here soon.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Still got some Jaguar in your blood eh?"

I do, but my dealer waves me off from them every time I mention that I'd like one.... Still, just once, I'd like to own a Vanden Plas......maybe even for just a little while.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "Now unfortunately Mitsubushi is out of the picture so the next best step for DC to do is to increase the sharing between drivetrains and platforms between Benzes and Chryslers."

Are you sure about that? The new Dodge Caliber and the Jeep Compass are actually Mitsubishis under the skin....from front to back.