Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Agreed. Historically in recent times, the Japanese brands have been more reliable off the bat than the Euro/American models. But they're not immune...
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    The 735i exixts. Yes this is true. The Europeans have the all to cool option of having a combined 25mpg 7-Series WITHOUT i-Drive... :shades:

I don't think we'll see a six-cylinder 7 at least until the next model, which BMW has promised to spice things up for the American market. The return of the six-cylinder model may be on contention that MB releases the S350... But who knows with BMW as they operate under a model of secrecy. Who saw the twin-turbo coming last year.... nobody.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Acura can never be taken seriously as a luxury brand so long as it insists on using its rather unique test tube version of "wood."

Disagree.

Particularly for an SUV, I think this current MDX meets the criteria . . . fake wood and all.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Test tube "wood".

A cruise ship-sized steering wheel.

No front passenger power lumbar.

No power liftgate unless ordering the rear entertainment package.

However, aside from the "wood" and large steering wheel, coming from BMW, I have to say I like the interior quite a bit.

Looking forward to sitting in one.
  • sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Well, if you buy your wife zircon jewlery instead of real diamond, can it be considered a luxury? I haven't seen the new MDX in person, but I think the faux wood might look more visually different from real wood than say zircon looks from diamond.

On the other hand, wood trim isn't an overwhelming portion of the buying decision.
  • the fake wood thing with Acura. Their is a trade off however. Arguably the best nav system as far as auto manufacturers go. The quality of their electronics in general. And the new Elliot Schnieder sound system is second only to the B&O in the S8 IMO.
    If BMW had a Honda/Acura nav system, their would be nothing to complain about. :blush:
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    be the last kid on my block without a navigation system.
    What did we all do for so many years without one?

I can easily plan my trips on the internet in advance.

I must admit, however, that there have been occasions when I was told to go North and it should have been South. :blush:
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    The MDX is nothing more than a Pilot with a tuxedo and somewhat sportier sneakers.

What is a RDX? A CRV with a blazer and track pants.

What is a TL? An Accord with a suede jacket and a Nike sweat shirt.

I can go on and on like this for every single Acura product. Kudos for Lexus and Infiniti for at least having some models with a distinctive platform.

The only Japanese luxury SUV I admire is the Infiniti FX with its distinctive platform that is not shared with a Nissan.

And in order to pre-empt an attack on my post I would like to state the obvious: Yes my logic applies equally to German SUVs like the Q7 and Cayenne sharing a platform with a VW. If I had to choose a German luxury SUV I would buy either a BMW X5 or a MB ML whose platforms are not shared with a mainstream manufacturer.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    The only Japanese luxury SUV I admire is the Infiniti FX with its distinctive platform that is not shared with a Nissan.

Nissan Murano
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    The Murano uses the FWD platform shared by the Nissan Altima and Quest.
    The FX uses the RWD platform shared by the Infiniti G and M.

Although I must admit there is somewhat of a family resemblance between the FX and Murano.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    I thought they all (other than Q and Sentra...and trucks) shared the FM platform including the Z350...with the M and now the new G using the “updated” FM platform; though I supposed we could argue what sharing means.

But I suppose you are correct, there is no Nissan with RWD that shares the FX platform.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'm confused on that one Tag.

Yes, the S450 will represent the value leader for the S-Class, but how will that value stack up agains the LS460 is the concern.

M
    Oh no a S550 Convertible will not happen. I'll eat the brochure if it makes it to production and is sold here at the local Benz dealer!

M
    What is a RDX? A CRV with a blazer and track pants.

And my god are they ugly, especially the CRV. The RDX looks like some sort of British bulldog, short, fat and stubby.

Until LG posted something about the RL using the Accord platform I never made the connection between the two. Honda uses a variation of the Accord platform for darn near everything!!! Only the Civic platform is truly any different it seems.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I thought they all (other than Q and Sentra...and trucks) shared the FM platform including the Z350...with the M and now the new G using the “updated” FM platform; though I supposed we could argue what sharing means.

Nope. Nissan's Front-midship architecture is strictly rear or AWD on the ATTESA E-TS cars. The Altima and its ilk are on Nissan's "D" platform.
    Dewey, this is the CL I want:

The CL63 AMG, my gawd it is gorgeous!

M
    The MDX is nothing more than a Pilot with a tuxedo and somewhat sportier sneakers.

Well, like the RX, the MDX came first. The next generation Pilot won't get the power, or the trick AWD system. It's not like Honda is trying to pull a fast one, if the upgrades aren't worth it, buy a Pilot.
    Interesting photos. I definitely want to see what Lexus does with it.

Link
    I doubt if we'll see any 6-cylinder or even smaller V8 model from BMW, Mercedes, or Jaguar here anymore in their top sedan models. BMW sells both a 730i and 740i Europe, I6 and 4.0L V8 models respectively. If I'm not mistaken the 740i has 306hp, and the 730i has 230hp? Not really sure about the 730i. Audi and Jaguar also have smaller engined versions of their flagship cars over there too. I don't think we'll see another S350 until the end of the W221's run in order prop up sales like they did with the W220 for the 2006 model year. I think BMW could sell a 740i here though with ease if priced right. Lexus fans will love this, but the base LS model with a V8 would make cars like the 730/740, S350 and various smaller engined A8s and XJs a touch sell here now. You have to want those cars as opposed to being a value shopper when it comes to hp.

M