Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    I thought Canadian car prices were inflated until I read that in South Korea luxury cars are double the US price level

link title
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Toyota reported today that the company would raise worldwide output about 40%, by 2008!!!

They also mentioned that they will increase production for the US market by 25%, thanks in no small part to the launch of the new Tundra(as ugly as it may be) and it's heavy-duty variants, a first for a US market Toyota pick-up.

The projected rankings for worldwide domination will end as follows:

The General: 13.9%
    Toyota: 12.3%
    Ford: 12.0%

Yes folks, Toyota will beat Ford worldwide. They also said that that there will be a major shift towards Eastern Europe and China, areas that GM absolutely dominates. By 2010, if GM stays on it's steady pace and Toyota's output actually works, Toyota would become #1, reports suggests.
  • blkhemi:

Where do you get your info? To my knowledge, Toyota already surpassed GM since early 2006 (world market).

The news that Toyota just surpassed Ford and reached No.2 was regarding US sales.
    I hope as they ramp up production they will be able to keep track of their quality control. So far with all their major recalls that has certainly not happened.

What is Toyota without reliability and quality? Obviously nothing more than a GM! I guess it's really tough being number one.

The greatest competitive advantage for any auto company is not to have any dealings with the UAW. Fortunately Toyota is not drowned by humungous healthcare/pension legacy costs.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    You might want to do some checking. GM sells far more vehicles in Europe, China, Australia, South America than Toyota.

Believe blkhemi's numbers are correct.
    Appears Dr. Z's message about MB engineering in Chryslers is just not working as planned. He is certainly no Iaccoca. Here is a little blurb from Wall Street Journal.

Created by the Detroit office of Omnicom Group's BBDO, the "Dr. Z" campaign cost $100 million and has been running since July. It relies on Mr. Zetsche, with his distinctive, bushy mustache and German accent, for a light-hearted setting of a somewhat complicated message about how Chrysler cars share engineering and design features with higher-priced Mercedes sedans, or how Jeep SUVs are clean and fuel efficient.

But the ads have become the butt of scorn from some ad critics, even though industry research shows the ads were memorable. Critics often pointed to studies showing that many people believed Dr. Z wasn't a real person. Detroit area resident Carrie Belcher, who has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Volkswagen Passat in her family, said she assumed he was a fake character and was surprised to learn he was DaimlerChrysler's CEO. But she said the ads made her laugh. "I thought it was kind of fun that the CEO was that quirky and funny," she said. (Mr. Zetsche does have a doctorate in engineering.)

The Chrysler Group vigorously defends the ads, saying the campaign did its job of informing consumers about what Chrysler stands for.

The TV, radio and print portions of the Dr. Z campaign are currently suspended so the company can focus on its clearance sale and new model launches over the next two months

SOURCE: WALL STREET JOURNAL SEPT 18 2006
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Appears Dr. Z's message about MB engineering in Chryslers is just not working as planned. He is certainly no Iaccoca. Here is a little blurb from Wall Street Journal.

The A.E. was on them from day one about those terrible ads. According to Pete, the ads have actually cost DCX more than $200m, without increasing showroom traffic one iota.
    Yes folks, Toyota will beat Ford worldwide. They also said that that there will be a major shift towards Eastern Europe and China, areas that GM absolutely dominates. By 2010, if GM stays on it's steady pace and Toyota's output actually works, Toyota would become #1, reports suggests.

Ford is in big, big trouble. They are slashing (another?) 30K jobs, and closing several more plants as part of "Way Forward 2.0, Mulally addition". They still depend much to heavily on the F-150 and their trucks. The market is going to drop out right under the Explorer. Expedition? Fuggetaboutit. Mercury is done for. Literally no new products until something like 2012.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    With all this talk of Toyota becoming number one and turning into a GM or beating out Ford, let's not forget that in just the last two years alone, Toyota has had two major recalls totalling a whopping 1,750,000 vehicles worldwide. These recalls were not minor as both of these recalls were due to potential steering failure!

But, interestingly, nobody thinks about it. They only remember the Ford Explorer's tires, which Ford didn't even manufacture!

Toyota can do no wrong it would seem, even when a colossal 1.75 million cars worldwide could have lost their steering!

Go figure.

TagMan
    But, interestingly, nobody thinks about it. They only remember the Ford Explorer's tires, which Ford didn't even manufacture!

Its not as if Ford had no clue that tire problems could happen. They didn't want to pay for safe tires.

As for Toyota, read the Edmunds article, Perception is reality. People are willing to give Toyota the benefit of the doubt that they are serious about fixing the recent quality issues, because of their sterling Toyota = quality reputation. The domestics made junk for 20 years, so its a bit harder for them to say "you gotta listen to us, I know we've said this every year for the last 20 years, but the cars really are good now.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Was that article written before or after they tested the BMW335i?

Before, of course.

M
    All of this info can be found in today's WSJ. Toyota has not surpassed GM as of yet. There is some major work left to do before that happens. But they are on track to pass Ford this year.
    So intially Ford was to follow the plan of GM and shutter or downsize several plants and layoff 30k workers. Now they're to double that under Mulally?? What is going to be left of this company?

And you're right. The products are very far and few between. They just don't produce cars people want to buy. No one says I want that underpowered and overwhelmed Five Hundred when they can have that spiffy new Camry, Accord, or even Impala. The same for the for the Zephyr(MKS). For 33k, there are at least 20 cars to be had at that price that is a more attractive deal. Even with the massive 8k off, I'd still be hard pressed to take it over an Accord, Camry, or even a Sonata, even with the MKS' supposed better interior.

The Explorer, the SUV that ruled the world, has fallen off so far that the company is now said to make an off-road model due to the Ford Edge being the more desired model. With all of this money spent in '06 to make the Explorer explore better, then why not create the Edge as the new Explorer in the first place??

And even the F-150 line is a major letdown. They're going to let SRT walk all over them in a category that SVT made hot with the Lightnin. The new Harley-Davidson Ford should've never seen the light of day.
    Tag, I'm well aware of this company's recent surge in recalls. This is the sort of thing that happens when we try to outpace ourselves without double checking all of the screws and bolts, so to speak.

1.75m vehicles worldwide to be recalled is a lot for any manufacture. Toyota has to remember to put it's quality first or people will walk away. Fast. In this day and age, people are not as willing to take second bat with every company either matching or exceeding another company's quality until another company 1-up's it.

Hyundai, does it ring a bell anyone?
    The British mag Car has some of the rumored details and pictures(certainly not official) of the upcoming 5 series.

Based on the pictures below it appears BMW's future will lack Bangle's influence and be substituted with blandest of bland styling. :lemon:

This picture looks alot like the current e90 3 series:

And the rear-end of this 5 series looks a lot like a Hyundai Sonata:

The most interesting specs are the following:

BMW hasn't forgotten about environmental initiatives, though. The diesel engines should get urea injection – as Mercedes is pioneering – to cut nitrogen oxide emissions. A stop/start system and upshift indicator for six-speed manual versions will help reduce fuel consumption, and the engines should be biofuel- and synfuel-compatible. Brake energy-regeneration, in combination with adaptive alternator control, should also save up to 10 percent more fuel too.

Link below for more 2009 5 series specs:

2009 5 Series
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    When I view the rear, a word that come to mind is Hyundai
    I think the new 5 will have a more significant presence and stance than the pic infers. I find it easy on the eye, and in fact the front end looks clean and balanced to me with the air intake having a great appearane. The rear treatment, particularly due to the lights, is in line with current styling trends more typical to Japanese vehicles in general, not just Hyundai, but they look well-executed to me, and I find them pleasing enough, and a nice departure from the odd-shaped previous ones.

All-in-all, this is an attractive new 5 series that should sell very well, and lend itself nicely to a good-looking M, IMO.

TagMan
    When I view the rear, a word that come to mind is Hyundai

Given the car's good looks, I'd say that is a large compliment to Hyundai. ;)

TagMan
    The lines of this car are nothing short of elegant. The Bangle-styling of the current is still there, but only just by a hint.

I particularly love the front end. But the rear-end is like a few cars I can name, it doesn't match/complement the front. I don't think BMW will leave that flat crease along the rear end. But then again.........
    Hp, Tagman and Hemi,

ironically as other car makers are influenced by Bangle design (MB and Lexus), BMW is fleeing from its Bangle roots.

I hear the word elegance for the new 5 series. I guess elegance and conservatism in this case can be used interchangeabeably.

But then again these BMW pictures today are just as shocking as the rumors about a military coupe in Thailand.

Maybe there is a coupe in Bavaria and Chris Bangle is in handcuffs under house arrest :confuse: