Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• How about this new Hyundai

• hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Talk about conspicuous consumption!

Along similar lines, being held hostage on a Jet Blue flight early this morning, I switched the telly to CNBC and they were highlighting the Bugatti Veyron, which can get you to 60mph in an astonishing 2.5 seconds.
    Yours for only $1.375 million, MSRP.
    Don't fret. I'm sure Cars Direct can put you in this vehicle for around $1.374 million. :)

Perhaps when Dewey gets tired of his 335i sedan. ;)
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    We are increasingly being offered strange computer-twisted designs . . . or just plain vanilla.

TagMan
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    re new Q: if so, Infiniti better market the hell out of it starting right now. Most people have never even heard of the Q and the original ads focused on trees and streams rather than the car. I would LOVE to see Infiniti in this market space, but they better really have their act together before they try......
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Gorgeous!

But it will be just another pretty face if its drivetrain and chassis cannot match its good looks.
    Why do I keep thinking of Bruce Wayne and the batmobile when I look at this photo?
    lol. :D That cabrio pic I posted is a digital artist's rendering. It's definately got a lot going on. As I recall, houdini saw a minimum of three different cars all rolled into one! And now you've got Bruce Wayne driving it. You've got to admit, it sure stirs the imagination.

But seriously, for a reality check, read my post 19301. Click the link and watch. Then you will see the REAL R8.

TagMan
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    But it's not nearly as cool! ;)

Wish I had a picture of it. The concept is about 5 years old now. Was on the cover of Autoweek.

DrFill
    Some artist. The driver looks like an "Aryan" from the 1940's.
    Heh! Heh!
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Sorry to hear you had "issues" with the mighty LS. :cry:

DrFill
    Some artist. The driver looks like an "Aryan" from the 1940's.
    Heh! Heh!

lol. Max Headroom, or something to that effect. You've really got me cracking up here. :D

But, c'mon already. What did you think of the video of the REAL R8? Don't tell me you couldn't see it because you're on dial-up or something like that. All Bimmer owners have DSL, right? ;)

TagMan
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    This new Audi one-ups Mercedes and BMW in that they don't have a true "sports car" in their lineup. The SLR is a GT car in reality, and the BMW M Roadster and M Coupe are sports cars, but they aren't 911-grade like this new R8. Now watch as BMW and Mercedes bring out real sports cars in the next 2-3 years. BMW will do it on their own and Mercedes will either let AMG loose to do it their way (as they did with the new V8) or they'll lean on McLaren again. Anyway, this new Audi is stunning and full of interesting details:

First BMW with their new X5 and now Audi, new shifter designs abound. Mercedes will come up with one that shift by looking at it or mount it on the roof.

This R8 is a "platform sharing" done at the highest and most competent level possible. Brilliant.

M
    This new Audi one-ups Mercedes and BMW in that they don't have a true "sports car" in their lineup. The SLR is a GT car in reality, and the BMW M Roadster and M Coupe or sports car, but they aren't 911-grade like this new R8.

Anyway, this new Audi is stunning and full of interesting details

Finally. I knew you'd come through. I've been trying, but failing miserably, to wake up this sleepy crowd to this beautiful and interesting new R8.

So, thanks for coming to the resue.

Did you, by chance see the video on the R8 microsite? It's well done, IMO. Here's the link again, just in case anybody missed it.

link title

I would love to drive this car, if I ever get the chance.

TagMan
    Np. ;)

Did you, by chance see the video on the R8 microsite? It's well done, IMO

Not yet, I'm still reading all the details as well as all the hoopla on other sites I belong to. The Audi guys are doing cyber back flips and cartwheels!

More importantly the R8 finally gives Audi a true gee-whiz car, something they need badly from a brand point of view. All sedans, wagons and suvs is boring no matter how gorgeous they are when you don't have something special in the lineup. The A4/S4 Cabrios can only generate so much fizz!

M
    More importantly the R8 finally gives Audi a true gee-whiz car, something they need badly from a brand point of view. All sedans, wagons and suvs is boring no matter how gorgeous they are when you don't have something special in the lineup.

This Audi R8 . . . it is a huge breath of fresh air, IMO. I wait and wait as the years go by, and I truly relish the rare and wonderful moments when a significant automotive achievement happens.

This is one of those moments, IMO. This Audi R8 is a masterful creation.

I expect and hope the road tests ultimately prove it to be nothing short of sensational, as I believe it is.

Yes, brilliant.

TagMan
    Gasp!

The killer part of this car is in the details. The Audi interior masters really worked hard on this one.

This is one of those moments, IMO. This Audi R8 is a masterful creation. I hope the road tests ultimately prove it to be nothing short of sensational, as I believe it is.

Now the biggest question is whether or not we'll see that new 6.0L V12 diesel in the R8 engine bay! I'll predict that in addition to the diesel they'll be some version of the V10 in the S6/S8 and maybe even a W12 version. The W12's compact engine design will come into play here. The price for this first RS4-engined version is like 104,000 Euros from what I'm reading.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Between the two LS', they went 9 times, 3 times severe involving the engine sludge and tranny probs...

These things happen. My '96 LS needed new rear shocks at 90K miles. The '01 needed a new oil seal awhile back. Thats it. Both issues were taken care of during regular scheduled service. From what I understand, the vast majority of LS ownership experiences are very positive. Lexus has a very high repeat customer rate, and its certainly not due to sexy styling or world class handling.
    The killer part of this car is in the details

That's right, merc.

The closer you look, the better it looks!

and . . .

The more you look, the more you like!

Your comment on the powerplants is perceptive, because it illustrates that those Audi engineers and designers have engineered and designed a bright and exciting future into this car as well.

TagMan
    because it illustrates that those Audi engineers and designers have engineered and designed a bright and exciting future into this car as

Oh definitely. European carmakers rarely design a vehicle that won't accept most of their engines. VW made a rare mistake when they designed the current Golf-Rabbit/Jetta platform in a way that they aren't able to fit the Passat's 3.6L V6 into it. A rare, but big blunder IMO. A R36 version of either the Jetta or Rabbit would have been hellish. A 280hp version of the new Eos would have been the icing on the cake for that car, IMO.

The German big three stuff every engine they have into nearly all their cars except for the extremes likes V12s in C-Classes/A4 and 4-cylinders in the upper models like a S or 7-Series, but nearly every engine in between does duty everywhere. Mercedes plugged the new 5.5L V8 in CL/E/SL/CLK/CLS in a matter of months after it debuted in the S-Class. Ditto for the new AMG V8, it will be everywhere in a matter of months. Gotta love a de-badged BMW/Mercedes/Audi on the autobahn in Germany. It could be a wheezing 190hp diesel or a 604hp V12 monster!

M