Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Fair enough!

That will be my very last defense for Lexus tonight. ;)
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Your latest information regarding the BlueTec's use of the urea additive to be compliant in all 50 states is, therefore, the same as mine. It would seem that there is no corroboration of blkhemi's interpretation of the program with Doctor Z at this point in time.

I've gotta give huge kudos to Honda for their innovation here, in providing a 50-state diesel without the need for additives.

Mercedes should consider paying Honda to use its catalyst technology. But, of course, that won't happen.

TagMan
    A diesel Acura TL V6 SH-AWD would be a very interesting car!
    Below a certain price level I tend to always favor Hondas
    Above a certain price level I tend to always favor BMWs.
    I guess I like car companies with a motorcycle tradition(although that does not explain my dislike for Suzuki cars)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    A diesel Acura TL V6 SH-AWD would be a very interesting car!

Yes it would. The question then would be, what is the point of the RL? I think many buyers ask that question already, if they haven't they will for 07 with the TL-S sitting on the same showroom floor.

M
    although that does not explain my dislike for Suzuki cars

The reason for your dislike for Suzuki cars is . . . Suzuki cars. ;)

TagMan
    Based on the latest survey from Strategic Vision Inc. BMW ranks as the number one brand in the industry in terms of customer satisfaction.

San Diego-based Strategic Vision surveyed more than 64,000 people who purchased new vehicles from October 2005 to March 2006. Participants were questioned after 90 days of ownership. The study, separate from Strategic Vision's quality survey, tries to capture whether consumers believe they got their money's worth and factors in emotional components.

Overall, BMW AG outperformed all companies, including Honda, but because it sells only luxury vehicles and the Mini sports coupe and convertible, it is not considered a full-line automaker.

As mentioned above the survey focuses on how satisfied a customer is with his/her car and not on how many problems arose with his/her car.

So it appears reliability issues may not affect the satisfaction of car ownership as much as what you would think--- escpecially after reading CR auto surveys. In other words the reliability issues faced by BMW owners are so insignificant that they do not at all affect BMW's highest ranking in terms of ownwer satisfaction .While the stellar non-existent reliability issues faced by Lexus owners does not increase the satisfaction of owning a Lexus as much as you would think it would.

Interestingly Toyota's satisfaction survery rankings are declining relative to Hyundai rankings.

BOTTOM LINE: There is more to owning a car than just reliability.

SOURCE: FORBES
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I guess I like car companies with a motorcycle tradition(although that does not explain my dislike for Suzuki cars)

Well, Suzuki cars are awful. I don't think anyone likes them, not even owners. Half of them are actually Daewoos anyway. Suzuki would be better off just staying the motorcycle game with Kawasaki and Yamaha. Kawasaki actually has a faster bike than the Turbo Busa, they can't let that stand.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,863
    BMW did not win anything because they are not a full line manufacturer. They had some high scores, thanks primarily to the MINI, which has a legendary cult following.

The ACTUAL WINNERS.....Honda first, Toyota second. Nice spin though.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Based on the latest survey from Strategic Vision Inc. BMW ranks as the number one brand in the industry in terms of customer satisfaction.

Are you aware of any JD Power survey that is similar to the Strategic Vision survey?

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    "BMW ranks as the number one brand in the industry."

Yes. I saw that report but was too modest to announce it. :blush:
    We BMW drivers are used to this praise and don't need to brag about it.

You and I both know that BMW is the greatest auto manufacturer in the world. We don't really need to see it time after time in survey after survey.

The only company mentioned in the same breath was the great Honda Motor Company.

Yes, as I have been writing here time after time, Toyota is on the way down and Hyundai is on the way up.

The big 3 in family sedans will soon be Honda, Hyundai and Toyota in decreasing rank. This is as inevitable as Road and Track finding the LS 460 doesn't brake as well as the LS 430.

Let me just finally say, thank you so much Chris Bangle and the entire Bavarian gang for creating such stylish, beautiful, exciting vehicles to drive which enables every exciting Hanes Brief-twisting turn to be such an exciting thrill.

BMW, your Strategic Vision victory while well-deserved, is also, entirely unsurprising.
    Are you aware of any JD Power survey that is similar to the Strategic Vision survey?

No I dont. I remember reading years ago that the Strategic Vision survey is a far more comprehensive in terms of ownership experiences than various JD Power surveys.
    Yes. I saw that report but was too modest to announce it.
    We BMW drivers are used to this praise and don't need to brag about it.

Sometimes your modesty and humbleness can be a bit overwhelming ;)
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    The ACTUAL WINNERS.....Honda first, Toyota second. Nice spin though

That is technically correct.

But as far as HELM's go, the winner is BMW.

The rules could also state that the manufacturer has to make robots that walk; and BMW would lose that as well, but as far as HELM's go...it shouldn't matter
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    "Disappointing in the sense that a 0-60 mph time of 6.0 seconds is unacceptable for a sedan with a big V-8."

Ah, so now the reality comes out. The article was merely disappointing to you! 0-60 is unacceptable for a sedan with a big V-8? oh ok....so does that make 5.9 acceptable?

Funny!
    BMW did not win anything because they are not a full line manufacturer.

OK let me get this straight-- I am driving a car whose marque is rated the higest but does not qualify because BMW is not a full line manufacturer?

OK I gotcha. But unfortunately that little technicality you have pointed out does not stop me or Howard or most BMW drivers from enjoying our cars the most in the entire auto industry.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Well first off guys, the show did happen on Speed, so need to sniff to find the truth.

Secondly, even with the urea bladder, the actual size of it is said to be smaller than a gallon jug of milk(out goes the space concern) and with the utilization of chemicals that can outlive the life of the car, again, the maintenance issue is non-existant.

And on Honda, we don't know what the engine is. And we are still talking about the the reigning and forever king of diesel engine building and technology. Furthermore, the MB is right here right now, not some hopeful concept. What, will the same thing be said when BMW comes out with the first mass-market diesel electric(not including locamotives)? Or Audi when the new gen TDI's get here and be the cleanest diesels on the road by far?(They're doing the samething as Honda, but will feature 8-catalyst and 1 particulate net for virtual PZERO emission ratings)

This is not to crash Honda, as we all know they build solid powertrains. But questionable blunders like the turbo "X3 fighter" that gets worse mileage than the bigger and more powerful MDX, and a V6 in the RL that gets worst than V8 mileage(why not have the V8 anyway) is enough to keep much speculation in the air...
    That's interesting.

Let's see. There is:
    The X3/X5-(the must have SUV)

The 3-Series(the envy of all cars in it's class that comes in 3 configurations, not just 1, like the IS currently does)

The 5-Series(the midsize car that keeps all car companies up at night

The 7-Series(the large car that has a lot of negative misconceptions, and some rightfully so, but still a very solid car that can outdance them all, even tip-toe with the QP)

The 6-Series(much of a frown up front, but with serious meat and potatoes that can shake an SC430 off of it's all-season's)

Then there are the cool cars like the Z4, that as vanilla as the 2.5i version, all the way to the super hot Z4/M that actually gives the Porsche Cayman a nervous jitter.

And the upcoming Z8 redux and Z9, cars that are hugely anticipated. As is the upcoming GL-fighter full-size X7.

So to sum it up, in most respects, BMW is more "full-line" than your fav, Lexus....
    Very true Blkhemi there are very few details about the new Honda diesels for our continent. Also you are correct in stating that Honda's current record for fuel efficiency is not overwhelmingly impressive.

Honda has been billed as a company that is focused on fuel efficiency due to its history. They introduced the Honda Civic during 1973 just at the time of the OPEC oil embargo. This perfect timing for Honda has created a long lasting halo affect for Honda's fuel efficient image(more of an image than a fact).
    Very true, as the company was so called in the right place at the right time.

Isn't it funny how history is repeating itself? It took the domestics a full decade to produce something remotely close to the Honda Motor Company's fuel efficiency back then.

Fast forward 20 years, and nothing has changed much as the domestics still have to play catch up to Toyota and Honda in that respect.

And maybe I was a little brash at first with Honda, as they're still my favorite Japanese-brand company.

Yes the RDX could've sipped less fuel, but when the Civic IMA getting Prius-like numbers, not to mention the CRV being the most fuel efficient in it's class of non-hybrid models(altho it's only 3 below the $8k more Escape hybrid), the company is still capable of building them right.