Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    see. Then your earlier statement of "owning for 13 years" without any problem was just wee bit misleading

I've owned a single BMW323i for 8 years. A great car that had spared me a lot of heartbreak in terms of its low maintenance costs after warranty.

Am I the single happy long-term BMW owner in this universe?

Nope! I know other BMW owners personally and my experience is confirmed by various reliability surveys. Overall BMWs reliability is not stellar but they are certainly not below average.

BTW, with the heavily subsidized lease deals on BMW's nowadays,

BMW or MB does not monopolize the industry for good lease deals or discounts. I can assure you there are plenty of individuals that got great lease/discount deals at various Japanese luxury dealerships.

When the new BMW 7 series will be introduced you are going to have a heck of a time in terms of getting a good lease deal. At intro the days that a 7 series will sit at dealers lots will be very low in fact probably lower than what is currently observed with the new 335i:

The average 335i spends a mere eight days on a dealer's lot before selling, according to the Power Information Network The only rival model that's anywhere close is the Lexus IS 350, which spends an average of 20 days on the lot before selling.

The quote above is from a somewhat positive review of the BMW335i which is linked below:

BUSINESSWEEK
    California makes up about half of BMW's sales. The G35 out sells the BMW in the rest of the country.

I've never felt so Californian in my whole life.
    Although that still does not qualify me to vote for or against Schwartzenegger.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    The warranty is 5yrs or 50k miles . . . that's 3yrs of driving for a lot of people. Warranty only covers parts and labor, not the time wasted or consequences of unexpected service outage. The last part is what makes me balk at purchasing unreliable cars. I don't mind spending some time taking it to the shop at time of my choosing, but sudden service outage is a risk that I can not afford to take. More than half the time when I drive, I'm actually expected at the destination; clients who are paying thousands of dollars for me to be there . . . folks that I can not afford to upset with an unreliable car.

BTW, ever had a light bulb outage on those leased BMW? Besides the hassle of small things like the light bulbs, I had a transmission failure and a Motronic computer failure, both leaving me stranded, when I had my BMW's. That was during a phase of my life when my punctuality was not all that important.
    My personal experiences contradict your personal experiences with owning BMWs.

Statistically surveys do not show BMWs as being below average in terms of reliability.

Please refer to Kirstie's recent post. You can alway google and find horror stories about any marque. No marque is perfect in terms of reliability and that is why Lexus is still relentlessly pursuing it.
    A car model that sells 60k copies a year, even with 59k turning out to be complete lemons, would still have 1k satisfied owners. 1k is much more than "a lot," which is 20 ;-) That's the problem with anecdotal positive experience. Bad experience has to be the exception/minority in this day and age for any brand . . . the question is how "exceptional" is it for a particular brand . . . i.e. how many sigma's is the buyer/leaser willing to tolerate.

335i has been on the market for only a few weeks, whereas IS350 has been on the market for a model year. I'm already seeing 328 coupe being offered at very heavily subsidized lease deals.
    The S600 has never been beaten by anything, not the Rolls Phantom, BMW 760Li or anything else.

Definitely I cant think of a more worthy car than the new MB S600 in being crowned the benchmark HELM sedan.
    You are the only person I know who thinks BMW invented the lease deal :confuse:

There are some pretty good discount deals on Lexuses. But that does not make Lexus the inventor of good discount deals.

REALITY: Most luxury models especially when they're dated have good lease or discount deals. (BMW or non-BMWs)
    That's the problem with anecdotal positive experience

My anecdotal evidience is backed up by Consumers Report. BMWs overall are not horrible lemons as you are trying to imply. Dont mix up your past BMWs with the general population of BMWs.
    No offense to you Audi fans but this has to be one of the most knuckleheaded ads I've ever seen:

http://www.knucklehead.uk.com/html/player.php?id=100
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Those kind of worries are a thing of the past with most BMW models.
    BMW's quality has noticeably improved over the last several years.
    The only BMW car that CR doesn't have at average reliability or better at this time is the BMW 7 Series.

I drive a lot and I can't remember over the last, say 3 years, seeing any vehicle stuck on the side of any road. The average reliability of all vehicles is extraordinary compared to about 10 years ago. The only ones over there are usually those fire engine red sedans being checked out by ol' smokey and his "money pad."

Leasing works for me not only because I avoid potential maintenance headaches, but also because I enjoy driving a new vehicle as often as I can. I love cars, but because I am not Jerry Seinfeld or Reggie Jackson, both of whom have many cars, I can at least change the one I do have every couple of years.

Maybe the one year lease will be created just for me. I would pounce on that!
    I don't know, Dewey. I have never seen a good leasing deal on a Lexus from Lexus. They keep the residuals frustratingly low.
    Even some Lexus salespeople direct their customers to leasing companies or banks outside of Lexus that offer better leasing deals than Lexus does.
    The Q45 may just well be the most exclusive vehicle ever made! :)
    You can get some pretty darn good purchase deals on various Lexuses at least in my neighborhood.
    BMW is better with lease deals while Lexus is better with purchase deals.
    I agree with you that Lexus gives you better deals if you buy rather than lease.
    I wasn't talking about Lexus purchase deals.
    They discourage leasing through their artificially low residuals.
    If I ever decide to change my behavior one day and actually purchase for the long term (5-10 years), it would probably be a Lexus vehicle like the LS. But not at this time.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    And that's why I bought one!
    You may want to find a more credible source with the correct info.

See Doc, you can't believe everything that you see, hear, or prescribe, maybe not even YOUR on postings.

The A4 has sold 36k units at the time of this writing, compared to a paltry 32k units for the beleagured IS.

And the G35 is outselling it too!

Now basing your logic on 5 YEAR OLD can't comparos can't get your foot out of your mouth on this one ;)
    "The LS is for the U.S. only. It's called exclusivity!!"

Up until now, I've stood back and let you ponder around about the greatness of this brand. But now the gloves come off.

After all that, you can't tell me what the "most exclusive" car in the USA possesses over it's "valueless" peers?

Furthermore, how is being the most selling car in it's class being exclusive? Just because it's not in other countries, doesn't mean it's more valuable than the Taj Mahal! Oh, and newsflash, the car is sold in other countries, Japan for one, but it flunks miserably there. I guess it's not exclusive enough.....
    IMHO, it's not Lexus artificially keeping residuals low, but the Europeans artificially inflating the residuals. I don't know of anyone who keeps their BMW's or MB's at the end of a lease (aside from those being forced into it due to mileage penalty otherwise).
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,767
    The good doctor gave his source and I notice that you neglected to do so. Please post your source if you want to be credible.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,767
    You took your gloves off just to throw cream pies? Puleeaasssee. That rhetoric jibber-jabber doesn't even deserve a come back.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460