Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    Congratulations blkhemi, for the second time in as many weeks. Are you going to place an order for an Audi R8?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Lexus does wood better than any other car manufacturer.

Gotta disagree completely with that one. No German, Japanese or American makes does wood like any of the British or Italian brands. The wood in a Bentley is flawless and always seems to be just the right color and there is more of it too. Ditto for Jaguar and Rolls-Royce. Maserati and Aston-Martin have a way with wood also. The only German brand that comes close to matching the British is Audi. Mercedes is second and then BMW. BMW rightfully doesn't care about wood. They're the only one left that doesn't offer the option of wooden steering wheel on any of their cars. This may have changed with the 7-Series recently, I'm not sure. Lexus' wood is gaudy most of the time as in the SC430 when you start playing with different color combinations. Way overdone.

M
    Well you don't have to tell me how grand the S600 is. I recently got a chance to sit in one and it was heavenly.

Please share some pics of the 600 and the S8 when you can get them both together.

M
    I'm reading my other forums and it seems that everyone is getting a new S-Class. In this instance the guy picked up a SL550 also:

I just love this:

Thanks to "Magwheel" from MBWorld.

M
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,863
    That little bear is probably the surprise gift that blkhemi is anxiously waiting for. Expensive little devil at close to $200,000. Nice touch Mercedes. ;)

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

He is priceless.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    My Jag dealer has little stuffed Jaguars, same idea.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    the X5 has beautiful wood. Seems the wood becomes more plentiful in BMW's as the driving experience diminishes.

In my 545, the wood is manly and handsome. There just isn't a lot of it. And it doesn't scream "success' at you. Understated tasteful elegance. The quality of wood one would expect at an upscale steak house.

As an aside, saw my first Lexus GS350 today (dark gray ) parked in my next door neighbor's driveway. The car's a looker with very nice aggressive-looking wheels. Best looking of the 2007 Lexus vehicles, IMO. If I could only persuade the visitor to let me drive it for 5 minutes.
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    It (GS350) is a sleak car, all right. The height of the car is only 56.1", compared to 58.4" for E class and 54.7" for CLS . . . all three are about 191" in length (give or take 1%) and ride on 112" wheelbases. It should be quite clear which side of the midsize luxury market the GS is tilted towards (hint: not practicality :-)
    the X5 has beautiful wood. Seems the wood becomes more plentiful in BMW's as the driving experience diminishes.

Agree. The new X5 is the one BMW interior I actually like. Its arguably best in class, at least until the Q5 comes along. The 3 series without iDrive is also quite nice. The rest, pass.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,863
    I always smile when new models are being introduced. It is about the only time that the rags and even sometimes the manufacturers will tell you what was wrong with the outgoing models. A Lexus exec even said that the outgoing LS was not up to some other luxury cars.

They all sing the praises of the current model until the new one comes out. Then, "Well this new model takes care of the heavy nose, or the bad brakes, or not enough power, etc.

I still wonder just how rigid a car body can be. Each year it seems that the new body is 30 or 40 percent more rigid that the last one. Interesting time of year.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

I really liked the look of the GS350.
    Just stood there and stared like a typical Edmunds poster, I guess. I will resume gawking and hopefully actually sit in one this Thursday at the auto show and then, actually drive one at the Lexus Taste in a few weeks.
    Of course anyone who has issues with the typical dark BMW wood can order for no extra charge the brushed aluminum trim which can brighten up the interior somewhat. However, as far as I know, this choice is only available in the 3 Series.
    Perhaps it will spread across the line.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    ...when new models are being introduced. It is about the only time that the rags and even sometimes the manufacturers will tell you what was wrong with the outgoing models.

A lot ot truth to that idea! But sometimes the weaknesses are only seen by contrast to the latest and greatest version itself . . . so it was never really seen as a weakness in its own time.

I still wonder just how rigid a car body can be. Each year it seems that the new body is 30 or 40 percent more rigid that the last one.

They could potentially get a whole lot more rigid . . . as a result of nano technology . . . if, in the future, it is utilized in automotive design and production.

TagMan
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    like a typical Edmunds poster

Where have you seen one of those? :P :blush:
    Good point. I should have re-read the truth in labeling law. :blush:

I took the liberty of assuming that most of us around here are probably shameless gawkers when we see a new vehicle we haven't seen before.
    For those of you who are "too cool" to do so, I apologize.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Heh, my point, perhaps not made, was that none of us can be considered typical since we are all - mostly - quite different from each other in many areas.

Anyway, please continue... we atypical and typical Edmunds posters look forward to your TOL report!!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I always smile when new models are being introduced. It is about the only time that the rags and even sometimes the manufacturers will tell you what was wrong with the outgoing models. A Lexus exec even said that the outgoing LS was not up to some other luxury cars.

They all sing the praises of the current model until the new one comes out. Then, "Well this new model takes care of the heavy nose, or the bad brakes, or not enough power, etc.

I thought I was the only person who noticed this! What you say is SO TRUE. Outgoing models change in one day from "state of the art" to "tired, old, antiquated and worn out" styling, don't they? Makes you wonder how the old car changed so much, just because the new one is out. Plus, I've noticed in the rags that ANY new model they love, no matter who makes it, or what it is - it's just wonderful, until the next new model comes out.

I still wonder just how rigid a car body can be. Each year it seems that the new body is 30 or 40 percent more rigid that the last one. Interesting time of year.

Another of my very own thoughts, that I didn't think anybody else shared. Just how friggin rigid CAN a frame be! You'd think, after each model being 10 times more stiff than the last one, you'd have the rigidity of the Sears Tower by now.

Gotta love the magazines......

While most of the time this is true, its not always the case. Top Gear did a "new vs. old" test, and in several cases the new cars were beaten by the old ones, at least in acceleration. The 300ZX TT outran the 350Z, for example.
    Another of my very own thoughts, that I didn't think anybody else shared. Just how friggin rigid CAN a frame be! You'd think, after each model being 10 times more stiff than the last one, you'd have the rigidity of the Sears Tower by now.

When you consider that thirty years ago car frames were as stiff as a bowl of jelly, its not that hard to imagine that platforms can continue to improve. I remember in one of the early road tests of the new Infiniti M, the reviewer mentioned that in order to show off the enhancements they had made to the FM platform compared to the G, Infiniti showed a computer simulation of the frames of the G and M under hard acceleration. The reviewer said that compared to the M, the G appeared to be "flopping around like a fish".