Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• sysweisyswei Posts: 1,804
    Why did they name it that? Given the environmental angle, wouldn't Green-something have been a better choice?
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    The car is a looker, unlike its sedan equivalent. No gimmicks, no wood ($28,000 MSRP). Only a vehicle designed by people who knew what they were doing.

Yeah the coupe definitely fits the "cougar" look that the designers were supposedly going for with this generation Accord much better than the sedan, and unlike the sedan it looks better than the car it replaced. For '06 they made the rear of the sedan much uglier, but the coupe looks a bit better than it did before from the back. The spoiler that they added is very subtle, but it gives the rear of the car a bit more character, which it needed. The new taillights also no longer look robbed from a CLK.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    It's the only car at the show that I can say I felt totally comfortable in. A great driver's seat! Stereo sounded fine and the nav. seemed to have all the bells and whistles. Wonder how it drives?
    Something to do with the "Adblue", which is the trade-marked name of the special urea solution they will use.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    from a blast in the S600. I'm still grinnin' from ear 2 ear.

HP, NOTHING TO LIKE AT THE SHOW BESIDES THE ACCORD!!??? I hear ya, but trust me, if you could've adjusted the seats in either the Audi or the Benz, you would've thought differently. This 6'5 frame fits in standard(SWB) S8's like a glove, and the S-Class is phenomenal.

Doc, yes the IS nips at the 3-Series now, but the 3 outsells it 7:1 worldwide. And the Infiniti cars slaughters them all, even with redesign looming. The ES will remain a Lexus stronghold, as it has been for the last 15 years. It's one of those cars that does everything right by it's customers with every redesign, nothing more, nothing less.

LG- I'm going to check out an XKR tomorrow at the Jag dealer. They have one, but the GM already has said that it's not to be driven. Bummer, but oh well.

BTW- The gift(s) from MBUSA turned out to be a NANO i-Pod and a leather-lined book on the past, present, and future of MB. Very good appreciation from them on someone buying their product.
    That was my point. Why let me into all those vehicles when they cut the juice? I couldn't fairly judge seating comfort in a majority of the vehicles. Most of the show in that respect was a waste of time. if you are going to put on an auto show, do it right!
    It's the only car at the show that I can say I felt totally comfortable in. A great driver's seat! Stereo sounded fine and the nav. seemed to have all the bells and whistles. Wonder how it drives?

The coupe has special "sport" seats, which are a bit firmer with bigger side bolsters than the sedan's. I drove an EX-V6 6-speed a few years ago. It has a very nice blend of handling and ride quality. None of the Altima's harshness, and none of the Camry's doughy blandness. The 6-speed is fantastic, easily one of the best gearboxes in any car I've ever driven. The only problem was the OEM tires were really mediocre all seasons, so it ran out of grip pretty fast.

For '06 they tweaked the suspension and gave it new 17" wheels, hopefully with better tires. Power is also up quite a bit for the V6, the car is almost a second faster to 60 than last year. I'd suggest a test drive, even if you have absolutely no intention of buying...although only if they have a six-speed on the lot to test.
    It was a very comfortable vehicle. Can see why Accords are so popular. Sat in a Camry and didn't like the seat.

The MDX had a comfortable seat and was anticipating finding a lot of legroom, but they cut off the juice, so I couldn't check the seat travel.
    But I could never get a vehicle with a console compartment that opens toward the driver, blocking his view and ability to reach whatever is in there. Acura should fix that quickly if not sooner.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    The driver's seat was too soft, like an easy chair, not something which should help keep you alert.

Sorry, HP, but I thought an LS' seat should keep you comfortable?

I've always hated how BMW has red guage lighting to "keep you alert".

If I wanted to stare at red lights all night, I'd move back to New York!

In a BMW, maybe that's appropraite, but a Lexus is here to comfort you, not keep you half-cocked. :confuse:

When I sat in the New LS, the seat felt quite luxurious.

I have sat in Merecedes leather seats that had all the suppleness of shoe leather. I'm sure they are somewhat softer now, thanks to Lexus.

You know what I miss. When performance cars used to have lateral bolster adjustments! ;)

DrFill
    LOVE the interior, but only the Saturn Ion is a worse redesign of a car than the Accord.

The Coupe is just awful! Awful! AWFUL!

It's just AWFUL! (I watch "Mike & Mike" too much) ;)

And it has MT/V6! Must have "Stud repellent" or something! :P

DrFill
    I realize a lot of folks will like the LS driver's seat.
    It felt similar to that in the S-Class-soft and deep. Luxurious would be a good word.

I felt the lumbar support in the LS should be a little more, well...supportive. Felt the GS has better lumbar support.
    I found the quality and tone of the wood in both the LS and GS to be luxurious.

The Accord coupe seat felt perfect-firm, but not too firm with neither of my legs or feet complaining. Perfect console location and driver's foot well. Much like the 3 Series.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    BTW, the G35 is at 47,700 for the year.

The CTS is just behind it.

BMW 3-series, with it's gang of configurations and engines, usually sells 100k a year, as a group.

Lexus should offer both AWD and a manual on the IS350 for 2008. There is no excuse for not doing so. Infiniti and BMW are getting it done. Lexus needs to get that done. I don't wanna hear about clinics and focus groups and what someone told you in 2003. This car is designed to bring in new customers. Offer what those customers are buying elsewhere. :mad:

DrFill
    The SRX and Infiniti FX are in a dead heat, which surprises me, since the SRX is more versatile and larger, plus is sold at more dealerships.

The G35 hasn't even sold 30k sedans this year.

The G35 couple, in it's prime, would sell 70k a year. Maybe get back there next year, or 2008.

And the GS is at 23k, the M35/45 at 21500.

More scores at the top of the hour.....

DrFill
    Lexus should offer both AWD and a manual on the IS350 for 2008. There is no excuse for not doing so. Infiniti and BMW are getting it done.

I agree. You can't get both at the same time from Infiniti like you can from BMW, but at least you have the choice at all. Heck, even the TL-S, a lowly front driver, has a 6MT option.
    I like Audi's red\white gauges a lot, I think they are up there with Lexus EL gauges as the best in the business. I'm with you on BMW though, the red\red is not something I would want to look at for hours.
    The SRX and Infiniti FX are in a dead heat, which surprises me, since the SRX is more versatile and larger, plus is sold at more dealerships.

The SRX's problem is the Escalade. Without that, the SRX would be doing a lot better. Although without the Escalade, its questionable as to whether Cadillac would even still be around.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I've always hated how BMW has red guage lighting to "keep you alert".

I'm with you on BMW though, the red\red is not something I would want to look at for hours.

DrFill and Lexusguy... The red which is really orange lighting is actually easier on the eyes, less glare. I think if you tried driving for extended periods at night, you would change your opinion. Plus, I find the illuminated BMW dashboards to be ethereal.
    I think if you tried driving for extended periods at night, you would change your opinion. Plus, I find the illuminated BMW dashboards to be ethereal.

While I've never driven a BMW at night for any length of time, I don't have any problem with the LS430's gauges. Night time glare is a big issue for me, (I wear glasses). I wouldn't buy a car if I didn't like the gauges at night. I keep the LS's gauges one notch above completely off, and they're fine. (Although its worth mentioning that my '01 has red needles on white gauges. I'm not crazy about the white\white in the newer 430s.) I also drive with the NAV screen off unless I need directions.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Yep, my eyes are sensitive too and this brings me to Xenons which I don't care for becuase it is harder to see outside the immediate field of illumination, similar to viewing stars within the confines of city light.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    this brings me to Xenons which I don't care for becuase it is harder to see outside the immediate field of illumination, similar to viewing stars within the confines of city light.

I know exactly what you mean here. But it's not so much the fault of Xenon as it is the linear projection pattern of some of the headlamp assemblies. They are not all the same, and some are much worse than others.

Some projections are too darned linear, and when this happens it appears as though there is a solid line that divides where there is light and where there is not . . . the projection area is extremely bright, and the rest is as dark as a black hole. There is simply not enough diffused light to accompany the main projection beam.

I don't care much for overly-linear headlights either.

TagMan