Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• Congrats on your new Targa. I bet you are counting the hours until Nov 28.

By the way, the LS's little brother/cousin, Camry took the Motor Trend's 2007 Car of the Year award. This includes the hybrid model. See article here link title
    . I would not doubt the success of the new LS regular and hybrid. There is no TOL in Toronto, but my salesman promise to give me a test drive of the new LS once it becomes available here.
  • Congrats on you new toy.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,779
    Call me crazy but I like the circa 1959 "Fintail". I have always been partial to more "upright" styles. Now if Mercedes would start with one of these, thoroughly update it, and give it a good diesel engine I just might be interested.

Lexusguy, congrats on the new ride. Enjoy.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Lexusguy - You already know that I love Jaguar XJ's and XK's. So to learn that you've picked up (you likely stole it. LOL) an almost new certified XK is terrific news. And a convertible! What a beauty. You MUST keep me posted on this car from time to time, as I'll be asking you anyway! Congrats, my friend.

Merc - Thanks for the E-Class evolutionary pics. I hope you haven't altered the space/time continuuum ;) .
    I guess you picked up my monster-in-disguise remark about the E63 at the show. To think that the current E buyer can choose between a BlueTec diesel or an E63 AMG shows what this one car is capable of. Even though the E is not a HELC vehicle, it sure deserves a lot of respect. Thanks, again. If that pic I posted last week is indeed the new E, then it will surely continue its great success story.

Thanks to the rest of you with regards to the Targa...but, until I take delivery next Tuesday, it's not "official". I'll post after the final "official" outcome.

That XK/R won't get out of my head. Uh oh. :)

BTW, I saw some of those weather posts . . . it will be sunny and 59 or 60 degrees here today. Lexusguy would probably have the top down! ;)

Happy Thanksgiving again.

TagMan
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    I do like this LS

Well, I did say that I missed reading about 1750 messages at the end of the old HELM board, so maybe the answer lies there, but I have to say the above are 5 words I never expected to see come out of merc!

That's what I am thankful for today! :D

If this isn't enough to get Len to come back, I don't know what it will take. :confuse:
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Speaking of which, The Porsches were as cool as I expected, and I now have the official delivery date of my 4S Targa. Tuesday, November 28th, and it seems that all new Targas can not be released before that date even though the cars will be in dealer's inventory. Oh well, less than 1 week.

Congrats, I didn't see this the first time around. Pics after turkey!

M
    Mind you I wouldn't take it over the usual suspects, but I do like the LS460L more than any previous LS.

M
    Mind you I wouldn't take it over the usual suspects, but I do like the LS460L more than any previous LS.

Personally, I dislike it less than any previous LS. ;)

So, from that standpoint, I acknowledge the improvement, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the car. I can't bring myself to feel anything for it. Respect, yes, but that's it. Sorry to the LS fans. Don't take it personal. I know the car is well built, and improved, but it is bland and boring to me. If I dig deep, I could find that it might appeal to me in a some sort of a logical way, but that's it.

TagMan
    Well that is a different way of putting it.

I have actually liked a LS model before though, the 1993 and 1994 LS400.

I too find the new car to be boring and kinda slab sided with an interior no different from any other Toyota model when it comes to design and layout, but still I like to cars too much to dismiss it completely. Haven't yet seen one on the road to really see how it "looks".

M
    I too find the new car to be boring and kinda slab sided with an interior no different from any other Toyota model when it comes to design and layout

I understand completely. When I looked at and sat in the LS, I was logically impressed with the car, although I was seriously disappointed with the amount of hard plastic and basic dash/stack/console layout.

On the other hand, the Audi S8 and S600 left me wishing for one and truly admiring them. Big (really big) difference that can't be ignored.

Haven't yet seen one on the road to really see how it "looks".

Generally, they ALL look better on the road, being in motion and all that, so I don't think that matters enough.

Take care, and "give thanks" today for that beautiful CLK, and more importantly, all your loved ones.

TagMan
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    it is bland and boring to me

It's boring even before you drive it? Wow, I can't even imagine what you will be saying after you take it around the racetrack - especially following a lap in the Targa!

I haven't even seen one close up yet, but I am concerned that the SWB is all the size I want and need, but it can't be outfitted with the upgraded suspension, and it probably will never get AWD.

I'll be interested to see how much "de-Banglized" the next 7 will be the spy pictures give me some hope on that (were those pictures from early October posted on here while I was on hiatus? If not, here's a link). And if I could only get beyond the ugliness of the "bass-mouth" of the A8 and my concern about service from the local dealer, it likely would be my next car. It's still going to take more time for me to warm up to the exterior of the S - if ever.
    It's boring even before you drive it? Wow, I can't even imagine what you will be saying after you take it around the racetrack - especially following a lap in the Targa!

I'm sure an invigorating drive in the LS is all it will take to make me forget about that S600. ;)

It's still going to take more time for me to warm up to the exterior of the S - if ever.

I assume you are referring to the trunk? A bit too chunky?

TagMan
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243

While Volkswagen and Mercedes already sell diesels in the U.S. market, BMW has no plans to do so any time soon and declines to use the BLUETEC name, currently being used to help sell Mercedes-Benz E 320s that run on ultra low sulphur diesel in the U.S.

I think BMW is doing a big mistake. Fuel efficiency is becoming of greater importance for luxury/nonluxury and performance/non-performance vehicles

SOURCE:REUTERS
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    What's with the comparison LS vs. S600?

That's not what Lexus is going for! These cars aren't comparable, in price, power, or exclusivity. :confuse:

But if you insist on comparing them, maybe Lexus is doing better than I thought!

Having driven both the S550 and LS460L back-to-back, let me reiterate that the LS is clearly better-looking, has similar quality of materials inside, I had no footwell problems, was close to being as fast, if not as fast, and the Benz was a little more happy on the TOL driving course.

Considering the mistake-free, NON-slabsided exterior, easy to use, but quite luxurious interior, ample power, with vise-free handling (didn't roll or squeal once under two rather intense drives), it is a remarkable improvement on a car that had few faults to start with.

I've driven a late-90's E420, and I remember the seats being......hard, not firm. The leather was not there to make me feel comforted.

Driving the LS and S, I didn't notice much of a difference on that note. I thought both seats were appropriately soft, without being mushy and non-supportive. Lexus has influenced Mercedes here, there is no doubt. :)

DrFill
    Thanks to the rest of you with regards to the Targa...but, until I take delivery next Tuesday, it's not "official". I'll post after the final "official" outcome

I am planning to order a 2013 Porsche 911 Carerra S. I haven't phoned a Porsche dealership yet but I will definitely leave Nov. 15th, 2012 6:30PM free for a test drive. ;)
    The Automobile Journalists Association of Canada did not award the MB S or Lexus LS as the prestige car for 2007. They chose the Audi S8 instead.

At least you and I can agree that Audi is the best automaker in the HELC segment . Unfortunately Lexus has a long long way to go in terms of introducing a car like the Audi S8.

Prestige Car (over $75,000): A new record was set here for the most expensive vehicle to ever win an AJAC award, when the $150,250 Audi S8 claimed victory over the Lexus LS 460L and Mercedes-Benz S550. .

BestCarsfor2007
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,779
    Car of the year in Japan, Popular Mechanics Top Luxury Car Award of Excellence, AutoWeek Top Luxury Car. And they are just getting started folks.

To quote AutoWeek. "The new LS has them stammering in Stuttgart, shaking in Swabia, and incredulous in Ingolstadt. Lexus has upset the balance in the luxury car market".

I expect this will become more and more apparent in the coming months.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

What's with the comparison LS vs. S600?

Doc...I checked my comments and they were only to illustrate the stark contrast, not comparison, between the two.

These cars aren't comparable, in price, power, or exclusivity.

Exactly...no comparison.

You say that the LS is better looking, but that's only your opinion, because the looks of the LS put me to sleep.

The LS460 is boring from the standpoint of looks, but I haven't driven it yet, and unless it somehow is full of driving excitement, I don't see it's advantage when there are other more beautiful cars out there.

I'm sorry, Doc, but this is not personal, I promise.

I just don't see these LS cars as being worth their ridiculously high prices. All that plastic inside, and while they may be an improvement over the previous models, they've got a ways to go in the looks department, especially for those kinds of price tags.

Personally, I really think the cars are very much like upscale Toyotas. That's what I see when I look at them. Upscale Toyotas.

The LS460 looks like a $50K car.
    The LS460L looks like a $60K car.
    The LS600hL looks like a $75K car.

But, please do not take this personal. Your opinions are fine with me, and I respect the Lexus vehicles for their ultra reliability. They are good cars...and boring, IMO.

TagMan
    On the other hand, the Audi S8 and S600 left me wishing for one and truly admiring them. Big (really big) difference that can't be ignored.

True, very true. The problem with the LS460 is that the design inside and out has nothing special to it. The interior design is the same as the new Camry, only turned up a quite a bit in the way of features and materials. The car continues to be the plain paper bag luxury car.

The thanks part has been taken care of.... ;)

M
    Considering the mistake-free, NON-slabsided exterior, easy to use, but quite luxurious interior, ample power, with vise-free handling (didn't roll or squeal once under two rather intense drives), it is a remarkable improvement on a car that had few faults to start with.

Keep telling yourself this and the design won't appear slab-sided to you anymore, but it is. That crease at the upper part of the body is really off too.

I've driven a late-90's E420, and I remember the seats being......hard, not firm. The leather was not there to make me feel comforted.

I see the problem with your test drive and Topspin's both of you are comparing a 2007 Benz to one that was designed in the 80's (1995 E420) or even earlier in the case of Topspin's test drive. To sit here and say that Lexus has influenced Mercedes is a ridiculous if you can't see where the LS' series entire being is due to Mercedes. A few cues from Lexus for Mercedes pales, doesn't even compare to a lifetime of envy and up until now blatant copying.

A S-Class is supposed to be plusher than a E or ML, no matter what year they are.

M