Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
to the second A4 discussion.

Those of you joining us from the original Audi A4
topic can continue your discussion.

If you are new to the Town Hall and/or this topic,
please feel free to contribute your thoughts.
You'll want to follow the above link for prior,
archived discussion about the A4.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host
Tagged:

Comments

• If you're thinking of not getting the sports pkg due to noise, you need to understand that most all-season tires are noisier than summer tires that come with the sports pkg (I believe it's still Dunlop SP8000E).

About the tire life, the softer the compound, the more grip it has, but shorter life. You don't have to corner at 80mph to feel the difference, a 30mph corner can make the difference. If you've seen those $50 cheapo tires, they feel like brick, they may last 70k miles, but they'll squeak at every turn. I'm not saying all-seasons will be this bad (Michelin MXV+ that came with my A6 is pretty good), but I'd definitely get performance tires if they are offered.

About the tire life, even the better tires cost about $100 each from Tire Rack, so spending $400 every 2-3 years isn't a big deal to me.

After all, it's the tires that bring the car's power (and Quattro) to the road, why not get the best?
  • I have all seasons on my 2.8 now, and have had all seasons on all my cars, and the tires have never squealed, no matter how fast my husband and I go through the turns. My husband takes turns at 80 mph. with the A4 and no squeal. When we test drove the A4 with the sports package, there was more squeal from the tires than with the all seasons.

I don't know where you live, but where I live it snows. I didn't want to have to change to snow tires, get regular high performance tires on a semi constant basis, give up a little ride comfort, and have to get new alloys to replace the unappealing (IMHO) ten spoke wheels that come with the sport package. That said, the $400 that the sports package costs on the 2.8, has now cost me a set of snow tires (which I have no room to store in the summer), high performance tires every two years, and between $1-2,000 for nicer wheel covers. What a bargain!, just to gain a slight advantage on cornering.

My husband, who drove race cars in Washington State thinks the standard suspension is great and so do I. I did not see that much of a difference in the sports suspension to warrant those kind of costs, plus the $400 initial investment. Getting the sports steering wheel was fine with me.

To each his own. That's why Audi has so many color combinations, and choices on car configurations.
  • Here's the solution to your problem:

DRIVE BOTH.

If you feel it's worth the extra $750 (which I think is a steal), buy it. If not, happy trails to you.

BTW, the new ten-spokes are pretty ugly. Glad I have the seven-spokes on my 99.5 QMS
  • Just when I was beginning to get Audi off my brain, the dealer called to say that the silver 1.8 front driver is HERE and off the truck this morning. Of course, it needs to be prepped. Now, I am in complete panic. Still haven't verified for sure who is chipping the '00 model 1.8s. Also, the dealer has a 2.8 silver front driver. I want to drive it to be sure that I am doing the right thing. God help me if there's an S4 on the lot that is not black or yellow.

Jeez, am I the only one who LIKES the 10-spoke alloys on the Sports Package? I think they are worlds better than the standard 1.8 alloy, but of course not as attractive as the standard 2.8 alloys which are the best by far.

Well, it is just possible that I could be in an A4 by Monday. Unless I totally freak out!
  • Due to personal preferences and location, I would love to get my hands on an FWD A4 1.8T with cloth seats and no sport package. I realize that this is an available combo from carorder.com, but it could be an impossible find, no? And I don't want the Passat. No panache vis a vis the A4.

Also wanted to point out that Audi dealers here in the States just love to make Audi sound like it's some hauty luxury division. But as someone else posted, most Euro A4 sales are of FWD 1.8T. And Audi has the Golf variant A3 and also a dinky little A2. I had a dealer tell me that Audi should really just concentrate on the A6 and A8, that the A4 was really a low-end car for them. Obviously he was oblivious to Euro tastes - for whom the A6 is almost obnoxiously large.

Okay, off my soap-box I go.
  • lkanlkan Posts: 2
    Hello, does anyone have any experience with this particular modification? According to their website, it increases the HP from 190 to 280, and torque by a similarly generous amount. I'm curious as to why don't people discuss it around here. For example, many people make modifications on the 1.8T (new chips), but discussion on the 2.8 is mute. And the PES system is the only aftermarket upgrade available for the 2.8, as far as I know. I only knew about this mod after reading an article on A4.org. Again, anyone have any experience? Top speed, acceleration, reliability, etc.?

Thank you!
  • I'm very excited for you. Can't wait to hear your first impressions. Post them as soon as you can. Good luck! P.S. The ten wheel sport spokes are not bad. They are definitely better than the standard wheel covers as you indicated. Alot of people on the A4 forum love them. You'll be so involved in the car that it won't matter anyway. If, down the road you want to change them, it is an easy change.

Ikan: You would benefit greatly asking about the PES supercharger on www.a4.org. The only thing I know, and why people probably don't discuss it that much is that it is quite expensive. For the price you would pay for the supercharger, you could have practically purchased an S4!
  • At the beginning of this discussion, you said it was the second A4 discussion. It is really the third.
  • Good luck with whichever version you choose to drive off with!! Don't freak out--just enjoy the ride and let us know how it is. You will definitely be cruising on those smooth highways of Florida--that place is flatter than a pancake and the roads are flawless.

I'm on the lookout for a dealer who has an A4 without sport that I can test drive---no one seems to have it, not even here in Cali. But, I do want to check it out for myself. I'm leaning away from it though--I must say I do prefer a softeride.

Has anyone actually received delivery of a car from CarOrder.com yet? There has been alot of discussion, but I'm curious if they are as good as word says. And how does that work as far as working with a local dealer for service when you have not bought the car from them?
  • I've seen several A4s aroundabouts here that have no sports package. Some had quattro but no sports package and I think one had no quattro and no sports. I've driven the standard suspension and found it very comfortable. I certainly could live with it here in Florida. But, one of my reasons for purchasing a German car is to get the edgier stiffer feel. I really think that the sports package A4 is the most solid feeling piece of sheet metal on four wheels I have ever been in. By the way, it's very hard to find the cloth seats. There's a yellow front driver here that has the cloth (but it also has the sports package). Personally, I don't mind the cloth, but I am going to tell folks that I have leather and see if I can get away with it. Will be interesting to see who calls my bluff. Also by the way, Niblets, Florida is actually hilly compared to South Louisiana! My house here is 24 feet above sea level. In New Orleans, I was five feet BELOW sea level. North Central Florida is even more full of rolling hills. Gets flatter as you head toward Naples or Miami of course. Well, I am going to "pet" my car on Friday and will hopefully drive her home on Monday. I am trying to prolong the agony with this.
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Posts: 116
    re: PES S/C

seriously consider the S4 as an alternative.

I picked up a new S4 on Monday and have driven about 200 miles. let me tell you, the reviews are all true and then some!

although I've got no direct experience with a PES blower, I had the Jackson Racing S/C installed on a '98 Acura Integra GSR last year.

when it worked right, it was a blast to drive but there were quite a few problems with the timing.

the belt noise from the S/C was also much harsher than the biturbo on the S4, which sounds great.

the GSR S/C was removed after only 4000 miles and set me back around $4000.

there is a detailed post by me in the Sports Cars topic #8 post #571 and subsequent discussion.

to fully realize the extra power of the PES unit, you would probably have to modify the suspension, go to bigger wheels, etc.

the Audi engineers have already done all that for you with the S4 and if (God forbid!) there still isn't enough power for you, there will no doubt be a wealth of aftermarket stuff like chips, bigger turbos, etc. for the S4 pretty soon.

you also get some extra stuff (like Xenon lights and leather seats) that cost extra on the A4.

the S4 has a close ratio 6-speed manual to get the most out of the power although 3rd gear by itself can handle many curvy roads at two or three times the legal speed limit.

(for any police officers out there, please note that I always drive responsibly and stay well within the posted speed limit.)

Audi's new RS4 (the wicked little station wagon avail. in Europe) starts with the S4 engine and makes 380 bhp. it's one little bugger that can definitely HAUL your groceries!
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Posts: 116
    re: PES S/C

seriously consider the S4 as an alternative.

I picked up a new S4 on Monday and have driven about 200 miles. let me tell you, the reviews are all true and then some!

although I've got no direct experience with a PES blower, I had the Jackson Racing S/C installed on a '98 Acura Integra GSR last year.

when it worked right, it was a blast to drive but there were quite a few problems with the timing.

the belt noise from the S/C was also much harsher than the biturbo on the S4, which sounds great.

the GSR S/C was removed after only 4000 miles and set me back around $4000.

there is a detailed post by me in the Sports Cars topic #8 post #571 and subsequent discussion.

to fully realize the extra power of the PES unit, you would probably have to modify the suspension, go to bigger wheels, etc.

the Audi engineers have already done all that for you with the S4 and if (God forbid!) there still isn't enough power for you, there will no doubt be a wealth of aftermarket stuff like chips, bigger turbos, etc. for the S4 pretty soon.

you also get some extra stuff (like Xenon lights and leather seats) that cost extra on the A4.

the S4 has a close ratio 6-speed manual to get the most out of the power although 3rd gear by itself can handle many curvy roads at two or three times the legal speed limit.

(for any police officers out there, please note that I always drive responsibly and stay well within the posted speed limit.)

Audi's new RS4 (the wicked little station wagon avail. in Europe) starts with the S4 engine and makes 380 bhp. it's one little bugger that can definitely HAUL your groceries!
  • Wow! 24 feet above sea level! Do you ever get altitude sickness?? I have heard that there are some hills around Tallahassee, but I have only spent time in South Florida, so my experience of Florida is flat.

Best of luck with your decision this weekend. And let us know if those ventilation holes really work in the leatherette, as you will truly put them to the test in your climate!
  • Fantasitic disussions. I've just ordered a 1.8T A4, Silver/Onyx, leatherette, Quattro, Convenience Package, Sideguard Airbags. Dealer says 4months to wait so I get to torture myself until March.

Will I burn the skin off my legs when I sit on the seats on the 45th day over 100degrees in Dallas? My car sits outside during the day at work and this is a big fear. Anybody in the Dallas to Phoenix type climate have any wisdom?

Anybody have the Sideguard airbags or heard anything about them. Big part of my decision to go A4 is the fabulous safety reviews by Consumer Reports. Sideguard air bags make me wait but it seems like an excellent option.

Any body had problems with the sunroof? I'm not a big sunroof fan, (my Miata satifies that need) but the wife likes the sunroof. Any problems or concerns with this option?
  • yes they deliver, yes I bought through them, yes they paid $1600 to get me a '00 A6.

I haven't taken the car to dealer for Audi Advantage service yet (only 5 weeks since the purchase, the first oil change is at 8000 miles!), but I'm guessing that it is no different than if you moved from another state. The warranty manual clearly states that you can take it to any Audi dealer.
  • mfprmfpr Posts: 41
    Can anyone provide information on quality of service, both initial purchase and repair/maintenance, by the local New Orleans dealer. I'm real interested in purchasing an Audi, but with only one local dealer, I want to make sure I enjoy the car after I buy it. Thanks.
  • I first drove the A4 with leatherette on a hot steamy Florida day. The car, of course, had been sitting on the dealer's lot with no shade. I was very curious about the leatherette and the climate control. I thought that the AC was fine and that it will handle the summer here okay. The leatherette will not burn you when you go to sit on it (which actually the leather in my Jeep does) but it will make your legs sticky in a humid climate until the AC has cooled down your cabin. Now, in your drier climate, I don't know. When I go to the beach here, I always have a light all cotton towel to put on my Jeep's leather seat when I get back in 'cause that leather in the sun will definitely scorch my bare skin. Fortunately, my Audi will usually be parked in shade. If I go to the mall or whatever, it does have that nifty feature where you can lower all windows. That will at least get your interior temp down to the ambient air temp quick. In this case you might actually appreciate the sunroof as a very nice vent on a hot day. Good luck with your order, boy you have more patience than I.
  • I have the same color combination as you're getting with the leather, not leatherette, and went through the same dilemma about the heat and leather/leatherette. Although I live in the NE, where it wouldn't present much of a problem, my husband and I were supposed to relocate to Texas, and/or Florida, and I still would have chosen that color combination. It looks great.

I asked that question on the A4 forum, and the majority of people with Silver exteriors have onyx interiors, and they all say that is doesn't get very hot. Just get a sunshield, and open the windows like beachbumm indicated (Audi has it where you can open all windows at once with your key, I believe it can also be programmed into your remoted as well). People answered me from all over the country, including Texas, Florida and Arizona, and noone had any complaints about the onyx seats in the heat. The climate control system works great, and I really don't think it will be a problem. Also, like Beachbumm said, I would put a towel down if it were to be in the sun all day, no matter what color interior I had. You guys in Texas also tint your windows, which should help alot.

I really don't think there should be any problems. We had a really hot summer in NJ this past year, with temperatures getting into the 100's almost every day, and I had dark gray leather seats on my Pathfinder, and never felt hot, and my climate control system was not anywhere as good as the Audis.

Good luck. I know it's hard waiting for the car, but if you go to www.A4.org, you will live vicariously through the other owners and people waiting for their cars!
  • Well, the new baby has arrived and while she is taking a nap I thought I'd tell you about her. I have the silver/opal gray 1.8 with Tip and sports package/sunroof. I am really thrilled with the sports package because the handling is just so fine. I am slightly puzzled with the color. In the brochure it says that silver is metallic but actually the color on my car is silver clearcoat. It is very elegant and gorgeous too and the 10-spoke sport wheels look great. Personally, I would have preferred the onyx interior too, but the funny thing is that everyone who has seen the car loves the opal gray interior. Of course, they haven't compared the two. Well, I knew that rather than wait forever to get exactly what I preferred I could compromise on some things like interior theme. All it really needs is a little wood on the console, so I'll be looking out for that. I really do not have a power problem with Tiptronic front trak. Without the weight of quattro this car is perfectly adequate. It is a little sluggish from a stop but once moving I have no complaints at all. The Tiptronic shifting is great. Just downshift from 5th to 3rd to pass someone and I doubt you will have any complaints. Interior noise is well subdued and actually quite "sporty". Wind noise at highway speed is a trifle greater than I would like. I have discerned no tire noise at all yet with these Dunlop high performance tires. Yes, I can see chipping the engine to get a stage one level, say .8 or 1.0 bar, which would bring it up to stock TT coupe level. Really, I can't imagine needing any more than that. Already I am looking down and seeing 80 on the speedo with no effort. It's that comfortable a cruiser. I think this is where the Tip has it over the manual -- highway cruising is very relaxed. I have a few ergonomic quibbles -- my head is hitting the pod that houses the sunroof control and map lights when I enter. I may need to just lower the seat a bit. Drove to breakfast today into the sun and my friend loved the little flip down visor over the rear view mirror. It was just enough to keep the low sun out of his eyes. All of the details on this car are extraordinary and the fit and finish are without doubt the best I've experienced. Well, I could go on and on and on (and probably will!) but this is enough for now. Just sign me, very happy papa.
  • Congratulations! The day has finally come. I am sure you out driving your new baby.

1. The color on the car (which has to be the same as mine), looks very metallic on my car. It is gorgeous and has gotten alot of compliments. It is a true light silver. If you put it next to other silver cars, it shines out unbelievably.
    2. As far as power is concerned, I have the 2.8 and thought it was sluggish at first, but after the first 1,000 miles, it changed dramatically. I am at about 1,200 miles now, and it is changing every day. That also goes for the tiptronic, which sort of changes to your driving style as time goes on, and becomes more responsive to your shifts. I find that the tiptronic definitely makes the car seem faster. I would certainly use it as much as I can, except for really bad traffic.
    3. As far as the wood goes, I think I posted once to go to Joshuatree.com. Alot of A4orgers got their wood there. They have real wood that is made especially for the specific type of car that you have, and is much cheaper than the OEM wood. It will probably cost you about $300 as opposed to about $800 for Audi wood. The gray interior is gorgeous, it just needs the wood. As they say on the A4 board, there are not bad combinations in Audi. They really plan their colors and combinations very carefully, and I have not yet seen a color and/or combination I didn't like.
    4. It definitely seems that you need to lower the seat, as my husband is 6'3", and the power seats sit higher than the non power seats and he has plenty of headroom, even with the sunroof. It takes a while to get that sweet spot in the seating position. Even with the power seats, it took me about three weeks to get it just right, now it is so comfortable, it is like a barcalounger.
    5. As far as wind noise is concerned, I have excessive wind noise as well. There is a TSB/fix for this, and I plan to bring it up at my first service. That is probably one of the biggest things people have complained about on the A4 forum, and most people have had it fixed by the dealer. I believe it is due to the driver's side mirror, and they put some insulation in there. If that is my only complaint, I will be very happy. Also, you might notice that the driver's side windshield wiper stops about 2-3 inches from the side of the window. The people on the A4 forum said that is the way is comes from the factory, and the dealer can set them basically anyway you want. That is another thing I will bring up at the first service. Otherwise, this car has been flawless so far.

You will notice new little things every day that you will probably say, why didn't I think of that. It is a really good idea to read the manual, as it showed me things I would never know existed on the car. In fact I took it through it's first car wash yesterday, and the owner of the car wash insisted on sitting in it and asking me a million questions. He said it is one of the safest and nicest looking cars on the road, and he is thinking of getting one.

Best of luck to you and your new baby!