Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• dej0dej0 Posts: 36
    I like my sedan, but if I were going to get a wagon of any kind, the Avant would top my list. My wife and I are still in the never own a wagon or a minivan stage. We both grew up with the huge LTD Country Squires or GM equivalents. I am confident we will never own a minivan, but we might over come the wagon thing someday.

Ned
    Cybersol,
    I found that there is definately more space in the rear of the '02 A4 compared to my '97. Not a huge amount, but more. I drove a bunch of people from work around the other day, and those in the back did not complain at all. I also noticed that my 2 year old had more trouble kicking the seat in front of her from her car seat. This is a good thing.

Ned
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Posts: 177
    Take a look at the newest road test of the A4 on Edmund's home page. It seems to really sum up their feelings of the A4 vs. the BMW.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The article equalizer mentions is now accessible from the Helpful Links box on the left sidebar of this page.

"Edmunds.com Says: A solid homerun from Ingolstadt."

Check it out!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Four years ago, my wife and I were in the same frame of mind as you, we then owned a 1995 Passat GLX 5-Speed and a 1995 Neon Sport 5-Speed. So, there we were, two cars, two kids (2 and 5), and plenty of family and friends that did not own cars (we live in the NYC metro area).

One day, after having to deal with taking two cars to a number of occasions, I said to my wife, "Ummm, Dear, ummm, I think it would be wise if we considered a MiniVan." She said, "Do they come with a Stick Shift?" Me, "Ummm, well, they used to, however, I don't think they are available any longer." She then said, "Well, I'm not driving it, you are going to have to drive it."

That ended the conversation for a few months. Then one night, I "Borrowed" a nice Grand Caravan ES from a local dealership, and picked her up from the NYC bus. She liked it so much, that we bought one that night, just in time for our summer vacation (3 adults, 2 kids and LOTS of camping gear). We now must concede that we will most likely have a MiniVan in our family until the kids are in college. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I believe I have seen past stories of you and your minivan out racing certain imports in NYC (when you aren't driving your 3 series sedan). ;-) Did you really haul the whole family down to Myrtle Beach, SC in one? I agree that they have come a very long way from where they were 10 years ago. However, I must say either an A4 or A6 Avant or a 5 series wagon would be more our cup of tea. My wife also must drive a stick, though she liked the steptronic in the 3 series we test drove. Still, you got to keep an open mind as you get older. I'll also be sure to keep a look out for a fast moving minivan around NYC next time I drive North to visit the family. ;-)

Have a great day. I get to look forward to another beautiful drive home with my sunroof open.

Ned
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,565
    While your minivan is your well known other vehicle here on TH, I wouldn't let on to the guys on the 3 series thread that you had a Neon;) LOL!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I gotta tell ya, that Neon was a lot of fun, WAY more fun than my VR6 Passat GLX, granted, it was no where near as comfortable to drive for more than an hour at a stretch. We actually took it on vacation to Duck, NC one year, OUCH!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bluetranebluetrane Posts: 67
    Billy - my car is a 1.8T, Dolphin/Platinum Tip with pretty much all the options except Sport and Bose (my ears aren't good enough to tell the difference in stereos and I thought the Sport Package was a little rough for my taste)

dejO - this thing is the "anti-Family Truckster" if there ever was such a thing. I'm coming from an SUV and I really think I'm getting the best of both worlds

Cybersol - rear leg room is tough to judge objectively. I'm 6' and when I adjust the driver's seat to be comfortable, I can sit in the seat behind be comfortably. I'm not sure i'd want to drive 1000 miles that way, but it's not bad at all. I can't compare it to the '01

Shipo - I won't be worried about you until you give up the bimmer for a Segway. Minivans are the epitome of practicality, but my wife won't drive one (too big for her) and although I am a suburban dad with a mortgage, part of my ego rebels against it, and that part had the final say :)
  • mod62mod62 Posts: 38
    I want to get the PP on the Avant but I am concerned about the 235/45's because of the NY Metro area driving I do. Feedback on swaps and possibility of 50 or 55 aspect ratio fitting in the wheel well with 17 inch rims. Also, what manufacture(s) does Audi use for their tires. I did not pick up that detail when I checked them out. Thx
  • brick22brick22 Posts: 71
    It was great to hear that your avant came through the tunnel. How long from the day you placed the order until you received the car? The avant I ordered is also dolphin grey. I remember liking it really well one sunny day in the middle of winter a few months ago, but ever since you mentioned the avant comes in atlas grey, I've been a little tempted to switch. I still haven't seen atlas grey in person, except maybe on an all-road. I know it's lighter, but not silver. It seems a smoother sort of gun metal grey. Less prone to sparkle--Have you seen both colors side by side? Congratulations and have fun. It's hard to wait.
  • bluetranebluetrane Posts: 67
    It took just over 2 months from order to delivery. I was actually hoping for longer, as my previous lease isn't up for another month (thought I had the thing timed perfectly too). There's no escaping Murphy's Law.

The Dolphin is a real head-turner IMHO. I have not seen Atlas Gray, but I don't think there is an ugly color in the bunch. The Platinum interior looks good with the aluminum trim.

Waiting can be tough, but you'll be thrilled with the end result. If you find yourself in the Cincinnati area, I'd be happy to let you drive :)

Rick
  • Got my 1.8T Manual, Amulet Red, Beige Leatherette, Sport Package, Sunroof, Bose Stereo and Xenon lights. Went to dealer (Miramar Audi in San Diego) a week ago today to drive the TT. Moving from a '99 Miata, I decided the TT was not enough of a difference in size and comfort to justify purchase. I researched the A4 and returned to dealer on Wednesday. Got a price of 7% over invoice and money factor of .00235 for 48 months. The car (equipped exactly as I wanted) was located in Woodland Hills (Los Angeles). Dealer picked it up yesterday and I took delivery last night. WOW!! Only one day and I'm already infatuated with my car. Makes the Miata feel like a toy in comparison. Sometimes snap decisions are very rewarding.
    Cincinnati's a ways away! I know what you mean about dolphin being a head turner. I like its quietness and occasional sparkle in the sunshine. Two months! It's been almost one month and as far as I know I'm still in B mode--"Your order has been placed." I can wait.
    That's interesting,Parque. I just sold my 95 miata m-edition about two months ago and ordered an a4 1.8T avant. I'm glad to hear the difference is so noticeable!
  • young21young21 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I'm interested in the A4, and I've driven the 1.8 Quattro. I haven't been able to find a dealer in my area who has had a 1.8 CVT to test drive, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions to offer. I know the latter is reported to be .7 seconds faster to 60, but was it any faster in the 2 to 3 thousand RPM range (normal launches)? The 1.8 Quattro seemed a bit sluggish there, but I'm also not accustomed to driving turbo charged engines. That is my specific question about the CVT, but general comments would also be welcome. Also, would an aftermarket chip significantly help low-end? Thanks in advance.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    re. Liz Kim nice "Bose" Stereo evaluation for 02 A4,is it the standard or optional radio in USA. The 02 A4 3.0 comes with a 150 watts Symphony II in Canada. "Bose Premium" 215w 10 Speakers is optional in Canada. I don't know how to get in touch with Liz. Thanks.
    Jean
    The audi display at the NY Auto show was so crowded! I got to sit in an A4 1.8T with a 5 speed and black leatherette. I continue to be impressed with the quality of the interior materials (especailly the leatherette) of the A4. Question though: On the 5 speed 1.8T, reverse is all the way to the right and down, while the 6 speed in the 3.0 has reverse up and to the left. Anybody know why?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Look at the gray sidebar on the right side of the first page of the article. Towards the bottom, the options on the tested vehicle are listed. Bose Premium Sound System ($650) is in the list.

Just fyi, by following the Help link in the upper right hand corner you'll get to an About Edmunds.com page. Under Information is a link to "About the Editors" - there is where you will find thumbnails and email addresses for each editor.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Posts: 563
    I think it's just the way it is. If you notice, I think in the 6-speed tranny, you need to push down to get to the reverse on the upper left corner, while on the 5-speed tranny (post '99) you don't need to push down to get to the reverse. Of course there is still a mechanism to prohibit you from directly shifting into the reverse from the 5th gear.

Billy
  • no3onno3on Posts: 7
    Hi all. Does anyone here know where I could get the caractere body kit for the 02 A4 besides LLTek? Would greatly appreciate any info.
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Posts: 563
    I'd say you can also ask that question on AudiWorld.com. Those guys are experts in modding cars.

Billy
  • khlmdphdkhlmdphd Posts: 7
    I took delivery of my 1.8T A4 yesterday at noon! Ming Blue, Beige Leatherette, Sport Package, Glass Roof, Xenons, Heated Seats, 5 sp. manual.

I ordered 1/11, was told that my Audi was produced in the 9th week (of the year), got on a ship 3/8, and my dealer called me last Monday saying that the car was in and I could take delivery on Wednesday.

3 problems noted on the 1st day:

1) I noted that the ride was very bouncy. Any little bump in the road made my whole body bounce up and down and any large bump practically caused me to elevate off my seat. I got the sport package, however, the car I test drove with the sport package did not feel anything like this. I knew something was not right.

2) Scratch on the superior aspect of the rear quarter panal. Noted first on the drivers side then found to be present bilaterally.

3) Vibration sound with the roof fully open when the car hits 35 mph then stops at 40 mph. I figured that the wind causes some part to hit resonance frequency. This problem does not occur when the roof is only partially opened (even just 1 notch from fully open).

Took it back to the dealer today. 1st and 2nd probems fixed. When Audis are shipped, these little orange stabilizer blocks are placed on the shock coils. My service manager told me that all audi have them placed on the front and 1 in 100 have them on the rear as well. Well it turn out that mine had them on the rear and only the front ones were removed.

The scratch was residual glue from the protective plastic coating that was removed easily with a solvent.

I actually forgot to mention the 3rd problem because I have just been using the roof open at 90% and forgot it was a problem. Has anyone else had this problem with their sunroofs?

Otherwise, now with the suspension actually doing its job, the car is perfect! I love driving it around town especially seeing all of those jealous stares as I drive by.
    I am not sure if I have ever driven a car (by any manufacturer) that did not naturally have some resonance. Many cars have a little pop-up spoiler that tweaks the airflow just enough to effectively counter the problem. That said, if you hear it, all you have to do is crack open a window or two, and the pressure pulses will be prevented from occurring.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Congrats on your new car! My mom just got a Ming Blue A6 last Saturday! Gorgeous color. It is so deep and you can just look into it forever.

• khlmdphdkhlmdphd Posts: 7
    I actually forgot to mention that I can also solve the problem by doing as you suggested, cracking a window.

Thanks
  • lucas7lucas7 Posts: 6
    I actually ordered one pretty loaded for delivery in June/July, but needed a car now since I sold my old one. I took one of very few 3.0 CVT available, which only had the leather/sunroof package and the convenience package. It drives soo smooth and accelerated so fast, its amazing. I can only highly recommend the multitronic.
    I only am paying $430 per month with 36 month lease and $3K down.
    Lucas
    I'm so envious that you have yours already! It's great to hear that some problems are easily resolved. I'm so glad you love driving it. I'm just a little into the first month of my wait. Still have a ways to go.
    Glad you have yours too! I sold my car in February--I never thought I'd be able to go this long without my own car. Now that spring is here, I've even been walking to work. Now I'm thinking I'm going to be so used to walking by the time my car comes in that I won't even need it. Nah--I'll just look for excuses to take those long rides.