Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• LanceL99LanceL99 Posts: 39
    I would go ahead and get the 1.8T. Granted I am biased as I just bought one myself in the hibiscus red with ecru Advance atmosphere, but I just didn't feel that the 2.8 justified the increased price versus the 1.8T. Oh, and this might sound peculiar, but the different atmospheres all have a slightly different aluminum trim pattern. I preferred the Advance pattern's horizontal stripes to the little stars of the Ambition.

Regarding the sport package, I agree with the other guys. It offers a marked improvement in handling with a neglegable difference in ride. Additionally, the larger wheels look really good on the car. I do wonder, however, about the treadlife of those Z-rated performance tires I have.

Anyway, I LOVE the car and that red is to die for. It's such fun having a car that not everyone else has. (I used to have an Accord.) One last comment; get the Bose if you can!

P.S. They are adjusting my brake lights; no problem.
  • dannykadannyka Posts: 115
    Rob Funny how conversations can get "modified" as they are passed along. I currently lease a Subaru that needs to be returned this month. They are great cars, but like I told Tracy, not nearly as much fun as the German cars I've driven (owned a 325 for 7 years awhile back and the test drives in A4s). I really did want to get into an A4, but I got spoiled by the treatment I was getting from my Subaru dealer (and Subaru of America) and was just not pleased at all with the runaround from the local Audi dealers. I had basically given up when you posted your story about Beaudry Audi so I decided on one last attempt. Unfortunately, my conversation with Sean had me believing that I just came across another dealer like the ones I've been talking to, so that weekend I decided to go back to what I know best -- for now. It sounds like you're getting great service, so good for you, and in talking to Tracy, it sounded like she did want to do what she could to sell me an Audi and I appreciate that. However, I have now committed to a Subaru and I know that my dealer will be here for me and with the extra few thousand I save I can mod 'er up with my own "sports" package. By the way, if you check out my profile, I think it still says that I'm looking for an A4. When I get my new car, I'll have to change things a bit, but the A4 will still be near the top of my list. I told her I'd call her again in 2 or 3 years. I guess she didn't believe me. Hmmm... maybe we just need a recession here in Utah for the dealers to start "appreciating" potential customers a little more :-).
    By the way, I don't think there's a problem with my tastes at all. A Subaru in a downpour or heavy snow is a beatiful sight -- especially if you're behind the wheel. And I have no qualms about taking them off-road. I'm not sure I'd be able to talk myself into doing that if I was driving an A4.

Glad we're all enjoying our respective cars.

-Dan
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    I agree that when your local dealers don't provide you with good service, or they don't act like they want to sell you one of their automobiles, then that helps sway you to another manufacturer providing more responsive and customer-oriented local dealers. And for your type of driving and environment, I agree you are making a very logical decision. From Tracy's viewpoint, she doesn't think you were seriously considering an A4 purchase. (From her point of view, $300 over factory invoice would be too good for a serious A4 buyer to pass up.)

To be honest, I'm not that familiar with Suburus, but I understand they are known for being quite rugged. That new WRX looks pretty hot! (except for those headlights...)

I was joking to another A4 owner when I made a comment about "tastes". Since he and I really enjoy our respective A4's, I would have made the same comment no matter which manufacturer you chose! ;-)
  • dannykadannyka Posts: 115
    That $300 over invoice is definitely a good price. However, and I have to admit to not getting more info on this point, I don't know how much more I would have to pay to actually get the car. I could fly down ($150+?) and drive it up (+hotel, gas -- but that break-in period would sure be short! :-), or have them ship the car ($??), or perhaps some other option? Anyway, I had to consider that cost as well. Hopefully, you guys will still be posting in a few years when I'm ready for my next car :-)

-Dan
  • ripshinripshin Posts: 10
    I was just over at Audiworld and read through their lastest write-up on the Geneva Show. On the last page of the story are posted some beautiful pics of the new A4. I know many people are a little unsure about it, but it sure sent MY heart racing. There's one pic that's a side view in red and it looks fantastic! I can't wait to read some reviews on it, for I understand that there is some suspension work being done. With that and the new 3.0 it should be very exciting. I might just have to concede and buy one in the next year or so, even though there's no-one within 60-70 miles who could service it : )

rip
    I can't say for sure whether I will still be lurking in here a few years from now, but I bit this topic will still be alive and well. I'm betting this topic (or some other A4 topic) will gain in popularity when the new 2002 A4 sedan is introduced at the end of summer. With the future introductions of a 2-door and convertible version of the A4 (for 2003?), I see no reason why you won't be able to tune in to Town Hall for some good A4 discussions in 2-3 years! :-)
    I agree with you that the side view of the new 2002 A4 looks very good. For those wanting a V6, the new 3.0L engine should be a real winner! With the suspension improvements, I'm looking forward to seeing how well this 2002 A4 3.0 Quattro ranks against the BMW 330i.

On the other hand, I don't like the rear end of the new design as much as the existing model. I also find the interior of the new model a little boring when compared to the existing A4. However, that opinion is based on only a couple of pictures. I'm guessing I will find the new A4 very attractive once I get to see it in person.

I've seen short reviews in Automobile, Motor Trend, and Road and Track magazines. In my opinion, the review in Automobile was by far the best one. I thought it provided some of the best details, including some facts about the new suspension. (It was also the only one of the three that knew the 1.8T engine is now at 170hp instead of 150hp!) I believe it was the January 2001 issue of Automobile.

I'm sorry to hear you are over 60 miles from any Audi dealer. If I was in your situation, and assuming there are plenty of other car dealers nearby, I would probably be talking myself into something else. That's assuming I couldn't talk my wife into moving closer to the Audi dealer! ;-)
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Posts: 861
    Any luck with the rear-facing infant seat?
    mmcbride1:

We have a 2-year old Graco snap-in rear-facing infant seat. I grabbed it out of storage and quickly tried placing it in the back of our new A4.

First of all, it definitely seems to require more forward space than our toddler's forward-facing childseat that we currently have mounted behind the passenger seat. Our infant seat seemed to fit quite well in the middle of the back seat, where the front of it extended forward slightly into the gap between the two front seats. I also tried placing it on the sides of the rear seat. Our infant seat would fit on the left or right side (directly behind either front seat) only if the seat in front of it was adjusted significantly forward. For instance, when I moved the driver's seat forward enough to allow the Graco infant seat to fit directly behind it, I had very little room to breathe!

In summary, it appears that our Graco infant seat would fit just fine in the middle of the rear seat. It might also fit okay behind the passenger seat if nobody is actually riding in the front passenger seat. I'm guessing that option wouldn't be considered as much as the middle position, since I believe the middle is considered the safest location (safer from side impact collisions). The access through the rear door is kinda low, but since you don't plan on using the A4 as primary transportation of your baby, I really don't think this will be a problem.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Posts: 861
    Thanks a lot. That was my only concern, and I think I'd rather have the kiddie in the middle, anyway. I really do appreciate it.
  • ripshinripshin Posts: 10
    Yeah, I don't know about convincing my wife to move, she pretty loves where we live. The only other option as far I can see is opening up my own Audi dealership in the area....

Funny how taste goes, one of my favorite parts is the rear, but like you, this is only based on pictures. I'll say this, every time I see an A4 on the road it reminds me just how much I love the current styling. Of course, I don't see many Audi's here. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand how many new ones I've seen around town. It seems like every other car is a bimmer or a benz(at least on the north side of town) so I definitely notice the rare Audi.

rip
  • oyoungoyoung Posts: 10
    Thanks to all on your advice!

Well, looks like I've pretty much decided on the 1.8T in hibiscus pearl with the Ambition/Exru interior. I saw one over the weekend with that combo and it looked pretty sharp! The only difference is that I think I am going to go for the Avant, so I guess I'll be heading over to the Station Wagon area! I also saw a white 1.8T avant with the sport pkg, very sharp. hey, if I'm gonna drive a wagon, it had at least look sharp!

Thanks again, all!
  • a 2001 A4 1.8T with Brilliant Yellow, Ambition black onyx leatherette, sport, cold weather, celebration packages, and bose sound. Don't know when it will arrive.

Here's a question: onthe audiusa.com website, they have a sport exhaust system available, which they claim increases torque. How will this affect mileage?

If I chip the car, will mileage drop a lot?

Part of why I'm getting this puppy is to be able to zip around like a maniac and still get decent mileage when I go on long trips (such as my daily commute).
  • drc4drc4 Posts: 56
    You'll be turning a lot of heads with that color combo! My dealer has a yellow S4 with black interior and it definitely stands out among the rest.

I'm not familiar with Audi's sport exhaust but APR and a few other aftermarket manufacturers make various high performance exhaust systems for the A4. You can get all the info and first-hand experience you'll ever need on the AudiWorld A4 Forum. As far as I know, these systems don't noticeably affect mileage.

From the 100s of posts I've read on the AudiWorld site, chipping doesn't really affect mileage. In fact, I've read a few posts about mileage slightly increasing after chipping, which could have been more wishful thinking than anything else. Maybe it's my own wishful thinking, but since going with synthetic oil, I've noticed a very slight increase in my mileage. If your A4 is a 5 speed and non-quattro (neither was mentioned in your post), you should get fairly good mileage. Mediocre mileage is the price I pay for having quattro and tip, but tip is a necessity for me and quattro is more than worth the mileage trade-off.

I know you'll be anxiously awaiting your new ride's arrival but it'll be worth the wait. Enjoy!
  • Hello all. Great group discussion here. I am the proud new owner of a "used" 2001 A4 1.8 Quattro sedan that I recently purchased at Carmax. Yes, that's right folks, Carmax -- the Walmart of the used car dealers. The car had slightly under 15K on it and was priced about 2,000 under blue book (hence the No Haggle price) --- totally about $24,500 The car has all of the most requested options except for Cold Climate Package including Xenon lamps, 6-disc DC, Sport Package, etc... The car is a blast to drive and I have wanted one ever since they I saw one in 1997. For those not knowing, Audi upped the horsepower for 2001 from 150 to 170 which increased the torque as well! I had my Audi dealer do a history on the car and all scheduled free maintainence had been done by the previous owner up to the 10K service. I ran the VIN through Carfax on the internet and the history came back clean. It appears the previous/first owner only had the car for about (7) months. Having owned VWs for the past 10 years, this is my first Audi and my absolute favorite!!

For those looking for aftermarket hi-po stuff, check out the latest issue of European Car or Max Power magazine and look for ads from TAP (total Audi performance), APR (Audi performance and Racing), Autothority and others.

For those interested in a "nused" S4 -- Carmax in Rockville, MD has one for about $39,000 with about 15K on the odometer (NO I don't work for them). If you go to Carmax.com and select make and model you can find it near the bottom.

More to follow.... Happy Motoring and High-five to those A4 owners in Maryland!!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Does anyone know where to get after market interior parts.

The area around the windows switches and handles is all scratched up(on all the doors). It looks like these parts can be changed, but I can't find ANY replacement parts on the internet.

97 2.8Q
  • drc4drc4 Posts: 56
    Try Clair Parts at 1-800-354-5100. They have a web site (www.clairparts.com), but it's best to call them since they don't post much of their Audi accessory stock online. I can't guarantee 100% they'll have what you need, but from my experience with them, they probably will. Before doing anything, check your dealer for prices on the parts you need so you'll have something to work with. I've found on a few rare occasions that my dealer could give me better prices than aftermarket distributors on some parts.

Good luck.
  • ckenedickenedi Posts: 16
    My wife and I were pretty gung ho about the A4 1.8t quattro w ESP, xenon and cold weather. We were shocked by the appalling manner of our salesperson and the staff at Vin Devers Audi in Toledo, OH. I had heard negative stories about the dealership, but I had no idea how rude someone who is trying to sell you a $28,000 car could be.

Even though we could have purchased it in Ann Arbor, we would have gotten service at Vin Devers. We are getting a Saab instead.

If we are out of Toledo in 2 years when my wife's VW bug lease expires, we will hopefully take another look.

Good luck to all, this was a helpful bulletin board.

Chris K
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Yes, It's amazing how some car sales people are. I've heard stories as well about Audi dealers, but luckily my Audi dealer is really high class.

When I purchased my first new car (a civic) I was amazed not only how bad the salesman ship was, but the total lack of respect they showed. You would get more respect at McDondald's drive through.

Even though I would not want to turn a car away that I wanted; I would not go to a dealer I didn't have confidence in.

Audi's are very good cars, but there are many alternatives out there, if dealers don't realize this then they will suffer.
  • I have a 2001 1.8T with 450 miles and the Celebration Package. I am hearing a distracting wind noise when I travel over 40 mph. The moon roof is not leaking air. I remember sometime back one contributor also mentioned this problem. Does anyone recall what they did to solve the problem.

It sounds like someone has the back window cracked open.

I don't mean to seem lazy but there are a lot of messages in this thread.

Thanks