Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    jcohen1jcohen1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a base Audi 1.8T. I want to lease it for 3 years/ 12,000 miles a year. Minimum down.

Approx. what would be a good lease payment on this car? Around $300 per month?
  • Options
    water_dogwater_dog Member Posts: 3
    Millhouse, sorry, I never drove the 150 HP 2000 audi, but I must admit, I was impressed with the new 170 HP 2001, and this was after driving the 2.8 two weeks before. I'd recommend that you check it out.
  • Options
    ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    it's silver. i have the tip 5 speed, i didnt know that a 5 speed manual was offered. i thought it was 6 speed. anyways, it's got oxblood maroon leather with black upper dash and maroon lower dash. i know it is dark so i only got a light window tint. i dont know the exact names of the colors, since i bought it off the lot on the spot. it was special ordered but the original buyer opted for the allroad as soon as it was introduced. great deal, though, bought it at the end of the month.
  • Options
    equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    You are right. The 5 spd. is actually a six speed.

I have the silver as well with the tip with onyx leather interior. Your interior sounds great. My boss keeps on asking me how I keep my car so clean, and I keep yelling "Get silver". Self cleaning. Great color that needs little maintenance, except for that nasty brake dust. I thought it would get better as I put on the miles, but it seems to be getting worse. No matter how much I clean the wheels, it still gets full of brake dust within days. I know this is a big complaint with many European cars. I never had it on my Japanese cars except for maybe the first few weeks.

Oh well, the trials and tribulations of owning a European car!
  • Options
    that's what you get when you want shorter stopping distances. the extra dust may be due to the way you stop the A4. i'm sure you stomp on the brakes harder than the TL (i think you said you have a TL) since it's a sporty car. i was considering the royal blue interior also, but it was dropped for 2000, my dealer said and he didnt have any on the lot. also if i went anywhere else, i wouldnt have gotten such a steal on the price.
  • Options
    You are probably right, although it seems to be a problem even with my boss' new A6, and I know he still had bad brake dust even after 40,000 miles on his A4.

Good memory. Yes we do have a TL, but my husband drives it more than I do. He had a little brake dust the first month, but there is virtually none at this point. It does make sense that you would use the brakes harder on the A4 than the TL because of it's sporty character, but the TL is pretty fast and sporty too.

Do you have brake dust on your A6?
  • Options
    quattro_pearlquattro_pearl Member Posts: 51
    The type of pads being used. More performance oriented pads squeel and produce less dust, yet lower priced pads don't squeel and produce more dust.
  • Options
    foreplayforeplay Member Posts: 1
    Our Audi A4 has been in the shop five times now for problems relating to a faulty fuel pump. It is still there now, with no date on when the car will be returned to us. We are already eligible to declare the car a lemon under our state's Lemon Law, but can I break the lease with Audi without having to get a replacement vehicle for this one as the Lemon Law states? If so, how do I break it?
  • Options
    I would post that question on www.audiworld.com. They seem to have different links to the Lemon Law and a few people have pursued it there. They would be more knowledgeable about this.

Good luck!
  • Options
    i dont notice too much brake dust, but i wash it every week, so the dust doesnt accumulate much. also i dont drive the car too hard with the brakes. the engine is a different matter! do you notice how much soot accumulates on your car? when i wash my car, the silver hides soot well, but when i put my finger on the paint, it's all black. i live in houston, and since we havent had a good rain in a while, the soot is the only thing on the paint. no mud, just soot.
  • Options
    I have noticed the soot thing, but maybe not as much as in Houston as I believe it rains in NJ more. I try to wash the rims every week, but I have let it go two weeks now, and I am racing home from work tonight as I can't look at them any more!
  • Options
    buffalobob1buffalobob1 Member Posts: 4
    How do I rationalize buying another Audi after experiencing an 80,000 mile Audi burning oil to the point that the Audi mechanics suggest the most economically effective repair is a used replacement engine? (It is a 1995 model 90 Quattro, 5 speed and it has been a great car.) I wouldn't expect that a well maintained anything would need an engine replacement under 100k miles let alone a precision machine like Audi. And, this is by far their most prevalent engine; 2.8L. I've written to plead with Audi and am waiting for their reply but, to date they've basically let me on my own to deal with the situation. I really want to eventually buy another Audi but if they don't come through in some manner, I just can not go back to Audi. This car, oil burning aside, is wonderful! So, it will really be my loss of not being able to buy Audi again. (for all Audi owners, rest assured that everyone tells me that this is a one-of-a-kind problem but, I'd keep good maintenance records just in case. Oil burning at any mileage doesn't seem to be seen in Audi from the folks I've spoken to.) Am I thinking logically? Are there any other ideas on how to resolve my dilemma?
  • Options
    robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    Sorry to hear of both your problems with the faulty fuel pump and the excessive oil the engine uses. I always heard that Audi's are very expensive to keep, but didn't know they were problem cars. I've been reading this forum for a while, kind of mulling over an A4. IMO the car also is underpowered compared to the competition. Gees, 190hp is 32 less than the Nissan Maxima.
  • Options
    bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    This is not the first I have heard of this. Note that this is not the engine Audi uses anymore. Yours is the old 12 valve engine, the new one is the 20 valve engine. It has much less oil consumption. I used 1/2 quart in the first 1500 miles and none in the 8000 since.

I don't know if this is enough to convince you though.
  • Options
    mbnutmbnut Member Posts: 7
    The current Audi V6 is a 30 valve engine not a 20 valve engine. My A4 1.8 T doesn't use a drop between 5000 mile scheduled oil changes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insights folks. I'm sure Audi continues to make improvements in newer engines, but even so, in 1995 the 2.8L engine had quite a few years of experience and at the time was advertised as high quality, engineered and built to last. Am I barking up the wrong tree to think that this engine should last more than 80,000 miles? And, am I crazy to think that a top end car company should participate in this problem resolution in some manner? If these are reasonable expectations, how can I go back to another Audi without some support?
  • Options
    No matter what people said to me on the internet, I wouldn't buy another car from a company that did this to me. That's all there is to it. I'm happy with my Audi, but with your experiences, I certainly wouldn't have bought another one.

Whoops, sorry about the 20 valves thing. That's the 4-cylinder. How would you spread 20 valves over 6 cylinders anyway!
  • Options
    quattro_pearlquattro_pearl Member Posts: 51
    My car is the 20v 5cyl turbo w/ 160k miles and it doesn't burn any oil, doesn't leak any either, nor any ticking. I've had mshare of autos that did.. Did your Audi dealer atleast find out why it's leaking? Audi engines are usully very good. Back in the 90's, alot of BMW owners had suffered blown head gaskets and overheating. I doubted BMW replaced much if any of the engines that had the problems. Point is any car maker can have problems, whether it's Kia or Bnetley. An oil burner should be easy to fix or repair.

I see you state your car is a 95 model, so it must be out of warranty. How long did you know it was burning oil? Did you complain to Audi during the warranty periond? The only way Audi should replace your engine is if you had been complaining about an oil leak, while the car was warranted and they (Audi dealer) were telling you it's ok for it to burn oil.
  • Options
    djc01984djc01984 Member Posts: 2
    Considering either a 96 A4 or a 97 A4 1.8. Most I've seen in my area have mileage in the 60-80k. What are experiences with these vehicles at this mileage point?
  • Options
    I first noticed discoloration in the exhaust around 79k miles. Thought it might be related to cat. converters needing to be replaced which should have come out in the PA emissions test. Emissions were fine so my next stop was local Audi shop. I didn't seem to be adding much oil between changes prior to 79k miles. They could confirm oil consumption (no leakage in tests or on my floor) and fouled spark plugs. Valve stem seals was the least costly repair (approx. $1700) but that was not clearly the prob. In order to factually diagnose, they had to tear down the engine and if it was rings / cylinders, we could be talking upwards of $5000. Based on a number of other factors like 2.8L history, age of car, and no signs of any other parts being abused / burnt out, the shop mgr. recommended that the most economically effective course of repair was replacement with a used 2.8L engine. At that point, assuming no problems introduced by replacing the engine, I have a reconditioned engine in an otherwise 5+ year old car with other expensive repairs likely. If I don't repair, I might get some salvage value. I'm not real happy with my options.

And yes you are right, Audi has no obligation to do anything. I'm just suffering from a disappointing experience after taking good care of a wonderful car and being stuck with very little value.
  • Options
    mbnutmbnut Member Posts: 7
    How much oil is your engine using exactly?

Has the shop done a cylinder leakdown test to confirm that the problem is in the lower end?

$1700 for valve stem seal replacement is high compared to my old 2.6 6 cylinder Mercedes which I had replaced for $250.

I think you should check with another mechanic
  • Options
    djc01984djc01984 Member Posts: 2
    What model Audi do you have that is suffering this problem? How/where do you notice exhaust discoloration (for the mechanically disinclined)?
  • Options
    mbnut: I've been keeping a log when I need to add a qt. of oil. The most recent added qt. was 587 miles from the previous qt.

Leakdown test was suggested by another mechanic but the Audi shop mgr. suggested it wasn't necessary after compression rating in two cylinders were down and plugs were fouled. So leaddown has not been done, yet. I did go to another independent mechanic who said valve stem seals might be $300 or $400 less if he were to do it but, he suggested not trying to save that money. Instead, he thought it would be appropriate to have the work done by Audi mechanics so the dialog could be kept alive with Audi if the repair didn't work. At this point I'm hoping that Audi will reply to my plea to at least get a dialog started.

djc01984: it is a 1995 model 90 quattro, manual shift -- and otherwise I love the car! I noticed the exhaust at first when backing into my garage. I could see smoke in the air and the burning smell was certainly not what I was used to over the years. After that tip-off, I watched out the rear view mirror and really could only see darker than normal exhaust when pulling away from a traffic light. That smoke now has more of a blue haze to it.
  • Options
    chaz9chaz9 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the Houston area and am planning the order an A4 in less than two weeks. I understand from the information posted here that I can expect to pay between 4 - 7 percent over invoice. I was wondering if I could get assistance from anyone in the area as to what I could expect. I want to get a good deal but I do not want to get laughed out of the dealership either.

ferarri11: from reading your posts I know you are in Houston. Do you have any advice?

equalizer1: thanks for the knowledge in many areas about this car.

I have posted on audiworld and have not received any responses as of yet. I remember someone else in this forum mentioning the immature nature of the posts on audiworld. I must say that I definitely agree.

I am ordering a 1.8TQTS. Silver with onyx interior. I just love that silver.

I saw one like the one I want (except it was a manual) a couple weeks ago while at a convention in the Hyatt Regency downtown. It was beautiful!

Any assistance is appreciated.
  • Options
    First, I'm glad I could help you. You are also getting my color combination. Great combination. The silver is self-cleaning and very sporty. The onyx interior, because of the great climate control system, should only be hot for a minute or so.

The 5-7% over invoice seems to be the going rate in most parts of the country. I paid 5% over invoice, but I knew the owner of the dealership. Otherwise, I would have paid closer to 7%.

My husband and I were supposed to relocate to Dallas last year, and I called the Dallas dealers before we were expected to go, and they wanted a little more than in the NE where I live. I think it's all supply and demand, but this year the dealers up here in NJ are basically asking about 7%. If you get 5%, you are getting a good deal, especially at the beginning of a new model year.

I would try reposting on the Audiworld board or e-mailing Ferrari 11. If you click on his name in blue, if he has his e-mail posted on his profile, you would be able to contact him.

If I can be of any more help, feel free to e-mail me or post whatever questions you have.

Good luck!
  • Options
    sperlasperla Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a 2001 A4 with Tiptronic. I'm a bit usure about whether I should go for the quattro option too. I live in california and don't believe the quattro would be used all that much. does it make the car more sluggish (considering I'm having the automatic and not manual transmission as it is). So, does the quattro offer any benefits in a mostly dry climate?
    Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Srinivas
  • Options
    since there arent that many audis in houston, i'd expect the A4 you want will go for 3-5% over invoice esp since the A4 will be redesigned for 2002. buy if you can at the end of the month, like now. i would go with the 2001 if you arent going to chip the car, 2000 if you are since you wont need the hp bump and the warranty will certainly be limited with a chipped car. if you dont know what chipping is it's changing the computer chip of the engine to get more power. gray is a great color. my A6 is the same color. definitely stick with a light color if you dont have a solar sunroof. the A6 offers this and that was the only way i'd get maroon leather. i think there are only 2 audi dealers in town, at least near me and they are don mcgill audi and momentum. i cant really tell you which one was better, since i only went to momentum. no other dealer in the area had the color and options and model i wanted. it was a great price too. AWD is a bit superfluous in houston since we get no snow and it only is noticeable in rain. if you want to save a little money, go with the FWD. if you want the most control possible go with the AWD. mine only came in AWD, though i wouldnt consider FWD anyways, it's an audi! i prefer the manual in the A4 but the tip is good. the A6 is best in auto form since the 6 speed is a bit imprecise as i've heard. good luck
  • Options
    usc1990usc1990 Member Posts: 6
    Got a 2001 silver 1.8t, opal grey leatherette, quattro, manual, bose, xenon, sport,conv, cold. Had a santorin blue on order but couldn't wait especially after I saw the silver:) The car is great!!!
  • Options
    reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    A few days ago, I posted at audiworld asking for prices in S. Florida and got no answers. I reposted again one day later and had five within a few hours. Give it another try. The responses for Florida ranged from 4 to 9% over invoice. Last, year I shopped the same car for myself when I was trying to decide whether to get the A4 or the bmw. I easily got $1500 over invoice or even lower. This year, the only price I've actually gotten is $2500 over from a dealer who last year quoted $1500 on the identical 2000 model--at the same point in the model year. I guess demand is up.
  • Options
    audishopperaudishopper Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm kinda new to this. I am interested in purchasing an Audi. I am torn between the A4 and the A6. I want Quattro and a manual transmission. I am currently driving a 1988 Honda Prelude and need to move up. I haven't had a car payment in years and need to know what to expect in pricing over list in the Washington DC area.
  • Options
    chaz9chaz9 Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered my A4 1.8TQ Friday!

Silver Metallic
    Onyx Interior
    Tiptronic
    Sport Package
    Convenience Package
    Bose Stereo
    Xenons

The experience at Audi was great! I don't think I mentioned this before but my experience with Audi had been great since I first set foot in the dealership in February of this year. The salesman spent about two hours with me telling me all about the car and letting me test drive it. This was even after I told him I wouldn't be ready to buy until the fall. I didn't find this same attitude at other dealerships. Once I said I would not be ready until the fall I was given a brochure and left alone. This salesman was looking to make the sale even if it was 6 months down the road. First impressions definitely make a lasting one.

I got it for 6% over invoice. It seems that the Silver/Onyx is in high demand so I feel like I got a good deal.

Now all I have to do is wait. Easier said than done!
  • Options
    cliffgallupcliffgallup Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a silver '98 2.8Q with Bose, leather, sunroof, for $25,000 even, and can't believe I ever considered a new Passat or Jetta. No contest -- the A4 is just a work of art. My first reaction is that I cannot believe how solid, secure and crisp the handling is, though it's not as quick off the mark or quiet as I had expected. A couple of questions: I noticed that at around 60-70 m.p.h. I can detect a very, very faint, high pitched hum or whistle that disappears the second I lightly take my foot off the gas and returns when I accelerate. Anyone know what this could be? Second question: especially with the a/c on, the metallic gearbox area tends to heat up more than I would have expected. Is this normal?

Thanks for your response.

JKL
  • Options
    cliffgallupcliffgallup Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a silver '98 2.8Q with Bose, leather, sunroof, for $25,000 even, and can't believe I ever considered a new Passat or Jetta. No contest -- the A4 is just a work of art. My first reaction is that I cannot believe how solid, secure and crisp the handling is, though it's not as quick off the mark or quiet as I had expected. A couple of questions: I noticed that at around 60-70 m.p.h. I can detect a very, very faint, high pitched hum or whistle that disappears the second I lightly take my foot off the gas and returns when I accelerate. Anyone know what this could be? Second question: especially with the a/c on, the metallic gearbox area tends to heat up more than I would have expected. Is this normal?

Thanks for your response.

JKL
  • Options
    sdolvensdolven Member Posts: 20
    I am looking at the A6 and several people told me the A4 group would know more about this since it is more common on the A4 and newer on the A6.

OK, I know this may seem dumb, but what is this
    "leatherette" seating surface listed as standard?
    Is it vinyl? Leather like? How does it feel? Is
    this new for Audi or has it been around?
    How does it hold up? etc!!!

Does anybody know what it is and has anyone bought
    an Audi with it? I test drove the A4 2.8 at
    EdmundsLive event and (I think) it was real
    leather, but it might have been leatherette.

Please educate this "seat" fool.
  • Options
    There is alot of information about this on www.audiworld.com. Most of the owners of the 1.8T have leatherette. They can give you a fairly reasonable answer to your questions.
  • Options
    scalcottscalcott Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2001 A4 1.8T about a week ago and it is making a moaning sound when I accelerate. It isn't constant and it doesn't happen all the time but it is definitely not a normal noise. I brought it back to the dealer and they said it was a faulty overpressure valve (they said this without even listening to the noise). Has anyone heard of this and is it a common problem? They said that it is driveable and sent me home with the car until they could get the part (it's on backorder). Since this is my first new car it makes me a little nervous that there is already somethign that needs to be fixed. Any information that anyone has would be helpful.
  • Options
    scalcottscalcott Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2001 A4 with the leatherette and love it. It looks like leather (it's matte - not shiny)and even smells like leather. Apparently it's virtually indestructible. It absolutely doesn't look anything like vinyl. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    dag32dag32 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post but I have been following this topic for awhile. I want to thank everyone for their insightful comments. I'm hoping to purchase a new car this year and it will probably be the 2001 A4 1.8. My only concern is that my closest dealer is about an hour and a half away. Has anyone out there owned a new car that far away from the dealer? Where there any difficulties?

Thanks
  • Options
    lawrenlawren Member Posts: 15
    My favorite two cars out on the market are A4 and TL. I test drove both A4 1.8T(v6 is to much $$) and TL. Overall, A4 was zippy and great handling. TL was bit more luxurious mabybe due to the size and still somewhat sporty.

I would lean towards the A4 as it was a hoot to drive and better looks. However, the reliability factor tips my scale towards TL.

Sure Consumer Report rated A4 reliable as of late and I hope they are right. But I don't trust CR 100% as I recall 1999 Volvo S70 was recommended in 1999 but 2000 it was on the used cars to avoid list.

Acura and Hondas (excluding Isuzu stuff) has a great history of being reliable. How reliable A4? I did not see a A4 problem forum but did see Passats and Jettas problems which have the same engine. Any thoughts and/or comments will be appreciated.
  • Options
    I think I might be able to help you. My husband and I own both an '00 A4 2.8 and a '00 TL w/NAV.

We have owned the A4 for ten months, and have had no problems whatsoever. It is a fantastic car. The quattro is unmatched in inclemate weather, the combination of luxury, performance, classiness, AWD and refinement are incredible. I can't say enough good things about this car. It is primarily my car, and I still can't wait to get into it every day and evening, to and from work. I find all kinds of excuses to drive it.

Getting to the TL. We both love this car as well. It is really a wonderful middle ground between the midsize luxury car and the sports sedan. It also has great luxury, quickness, refinement, sportiness, comfort, quietness and refinement as well. The NAV system is fantastic. We have also not had one problem with this car in our five month's of ownership.

If you are looking for a really sporty car with all of the above, the A4 is it. If you are looking for a sporty midsize really comfortable car and need the NAV system the TL is the only way to go IMO. We test drove the I30 and the TL won out in almost every category. That was the closest contender to the TL. We would have considered the 3 series had it had the option of AWD at the time, but it didn't. It has that option now, so it might have been a closer decision with the A4 vs. 3 series, although we liked the interior on the A4 more.

Good luck in your decision. I hope I didn't confuse you more.

BTW, I would probably peg the TL as the winner in reliability over the long term, but there are many people on www.audiworld.com that have close to 100,000 and have had only the usual maintenance.
    Now that Audi has extended it's warranty and free maintenance to 4 years/50,000 miles, that would be a moot point unless I was keeping the car for alot longer than that. Then I would get an extended warranty for peace of mind.
  • Options
    mitchellwtmitchellwt Member Posts: 1
    My wife just purchased the last 00 on the dealer's lot (company car, 01 out of price range). The car is loaded and is a blast to drive, especially since her current car is a Saturn.

But now to my question. I have read other posts which suggest the car be left running, at idle, for a minute or two before turning it off to allow the turbo to cool.

The car was purchased at an autocenter that sells a number of different high end European luxury vehicle (MB, RR, Volvo, Porsche, Audi, BMW) and I asked the salesperson about the Intercooled turbo on the 1.8. He, per usual, could not answer the question so he introduced me to the service manger of the Porsche dealership next door. He is German, trailed by Audi, worked on Audis for over 20 years and now works on Porsches.

After he answered my question about the intercooled turbo, I told him about this web site and that at least one person suggested the car idle to cool the turbo before turning the engine off. He told me it was not necessary. I don't know if he was straight with me or simply covering up an inherit flow in the car.

ANY THOUGHTS???????????
  • Options
    lawrenlawren Member Posts: 15
    equlizer1 Thanks for the info. Man, I wish I could afford both A4 and TL. You know a lot about the A4s and TL. This is August and I know that A4 1.8T are 170 hp have few other features standard for 2001. Any ideas on 2001 TL?

mitchellwt, I asked the cool down at the 2000 Jetta VR6 vs. 2000 Audi A4 1.8T (Topic #3804) and got a response. Sounds like you should let it run idle on a turbo for a bit. Enjoy your A4!
  • Options
    Mitchellwt

You can find alot of information on cooling down the turbo at www.audiworld.com and then go to the A4 forum. There are conflicting views on this. I don't have the turbo, so I can't give an educated answer unfortunately.

Lawren

I believe, from rumors here at Edmunds, at the 2001 TL might have a 6 disc in-dash CD player, memory seats and a few other things that the 2000 CL has. You might have better luck asking the people on the TL forum.

You can't go wrong with either car. It just depends on what your needs are. Personally, I think both cars are either near the top or at the top of their respective classes. You have good taste!
  • Options
    ehernandehernand Member Posts: 8
    The AudiWorld forum's search engine is down for now, so it'll be hard for you to research it. But here's my take:

Turbo's these days are a lot different from the old ones, mainly thanks to synthetic oils and water cooling.

BUT, if you take the car out on a hard run, or go on a long trip, it is DEFINITELY recommended that you cool the turbo down. The manual even tells you this.

Now, if you get chipped.....well, that's a whole 'nother story.

Here's a fun exercise: one night, take the car out and drive it hard. Pull over, pop the hood, and check out the turbo (located on the left side of the engine bay if you're standing in front of the car). You'll see it glowing red from the heat. If you just turned off the engine then, the oil would remain in the turbo, and coke. Not good.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Furthermore, oil won't coke in Audi turbos, as Audi runs coolant over the bearings even after the car is shut off.

Nonetheless, I agree a cool down after a hard run is a good idea. It certainly can't hurt.
  • Options
    northcalnorthcal Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a 2001 A4 2.8 5-spd Quattro in the San Francisco Bay Area. I test drove a 1.8 and a 2.8 and preferred the 2.8, it felt a lot smoother. I know that I want leather seats, the convenience pkg (I want a sunroof), and xenon HID headlights, but I have a few questions:

1. What's a good base price in my area?
    The dealer said the 2.8 I test drove was $35K, but I stupidly did not look at the sticker to see what options were included, and I don't want to talk to him again until I'm clear about what I want. The internet base price for the car (without options) thru carsdirect.com is $28,918 (the MSRP is $29,315). Does this sound like an ok price? I'm a fairly young new buyer, I've never had a new car before, so I'm new to this.

2. What do people think of ESP?
    I have a '91 Toyota Corolla right now and it is really bumpy on the highway. I'd like a smooth ride. During the test drive (w/o ESP) the 2.8Q seemed real smooth, so do I need ESP? Northern cal isn't that hilly, although the highway is riddled with potholes!

3. I'm getting the convenience pkg because I want a sunroof. I read in a review that the person did not like the auto-dimming mirrors, he thought that they made it too hard to see in the dark, and his solution was to put a piece of duct tape over the sensor that dims the lights. Do others with the convenience pkg agree, or is he just hypersensitive?

4. Sports pkg:
    as i said before, i want a smooth ride. i found the 2.8 to be smooth on it's own. I'm already thinking about ESP, but do people out there think that I should get the sports pkg for an even smoother ride, or is that overkill? would it be better to get the sports pkg and not ESP? I saw a few discussions on this site about the tires that come with the sports pkg and how it's annoying in snow areas. We have no snow here, so then is the sports pkg a good idea?

5. Color:
    I saw all the postings about black being really dirty, and I'm not one who's always running out and getting my car washed, but I really want black. I"m thinking black with grey interior -what do you guys think? And i saw people saying that white was easy to clean - i have white and have HATED the color for the whole time i've had the car - it always looks dirty, white shows everything! Can black be any worse?

6. One last thing - the nav system
    I am ALWAYS getting lost, but it just seems like a map should be sufficient instead of getting a computer to show me around. I mean, a 28 year old who needs a computer in her car for directions! But do those of you who do have the system, what do you think? Does it take up a lot of trunk space? Is it worth the cost?

OK, I'm through with my ton of questions. Thanks in advance for any replies!
  • Options
    1. the carsdirect price for an audi a4 2.8Q is $31,048, and the MSRP is $31,540 (sorry, I quoted the 2000 rates). Does the carsdirect price sound good?
  • Options
    I just re-checked my notes and noticed that the MSRP and Invoice prices for the 2001 Audi A4 2.8Q are different between carsdirect.com & Edmunds.com. What's going on?

Carsdirect says:
    their price - $31,048
    MSRP - $31,540
    Invoice - $28,276

Edmunds says:
    TMV price - $30,496
    MSRP - $30,990
    Invoice - $27,726

I'm confused! Shouldn't an internet rate be lower? And shouldn't the MSRP & Invoice price coincide between the two?
  • Options
    To try and answer your questions:

1. A decent base price in your area would be between $2,000 and $2,500 over invoice.

2. ESP might be a good compromise if you aren't going with the quattro.

3. I personally think the auto dimming mirrors are great. They just need a little getting used to.

4. The sports package will make your ride slightly rougher, not smoother. That's why I opted not to get the sports package. I have the 2.8 without the sports package and think the ride is incredibly smooth. I don't know if I would have been happy with the sports package.

5. As far as black is concerned, I had a black car a few years ago, and my husband said it would be my first and last black car and he is right. I would almost pick any color over black. It shows every scratch, ding, swirl mark, constantly needs attention as far as cleaning is concerned, etc., etc., etc. It looks great when new and clean, but after that it is a major maintenance headache.

6. I would have gotten the NAV system had my car come with it, and we have a NAV system in our TL that is great, but according to people who have the Audi NAV system, it is somewhat of a pain. You might have to change CD's in the middle of a state, and you would need 9 CD's to cover the entire country. I am waiting until the NAV technology on other cars catches up to the TL.

If you need more info, go to www.audworld.com and go to the A4 forum. There is a wealth of information there and it will help you alot in your decision. It helped in mine.

Good luck!
  • Options
    The URL above is bad, it is http://www.audiworld.com.

Mainly, the people who don't like auto-dim mirrors are people who are constantly searching their rearview mirrors for cops. The dimming makes it tougher to determine if that Crown Vic behind you has a light bar on it or not.

That having been said, really it isn't as dim as some make it out to be. They mistakenly remember that they used to see everything, including being able to tell what color a car is and such. They think they used to see backward just as well as forward. Staring into headlights, as you do behind you, is never optimal. So you aren't losing as much as some say.

I do have to agree it does make spotting cops tougher but not impossible, and it wasn't easy before anyway.