Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti J30

Comments

• n4pyn4py Posts: 10
    The post from mjvargo contains a few errors. The J30 is actually a fairly heavy vehicle for its size. It weighs 3600 pounds compared to 3342 pounds for the I30. Also, the timing belt for the J30 is listed as replacing every 105,000 miles
    (not 60,000). The J30 is heavy because it is a rear wheel drive vehicle. The rear end adds a lot of weight to the car. It is good in snow because it has a limited slip differential which gives you two drive wheels instead of one. I have a 96 and love it
  • Bought a 95 3 months ago and love the car. Was told by dealer to replace tires with Bliz Ax snow tires for winter and put two 80# bags of salt in truck to take care of snow traction problem. Anyone have any other thoughts? Is there a particular tire that does the trick year round?
  • Ok..Have a 96 J30 with 61K miles. My dealer wants to charge $2000.00 + to replace timing belts, water pump..etc as "regular maintenance." Is this correct? The owners manual does not answer my question nor does the Infiniti 800 #. Am I being taken to the cleaners? The car runs great and have not had one problem with it. Any info would be Great!!!
  • n4pyn4py Posts: 10
    to txguy67. You are being taken to the cleaners on this one. The timing belt needs to be replaced at 105,000 miles, not 60,000. This information is in the back of the owners manual. I also have a 96 J30. The water pump should only be replaced if it leaks.
  • To txguy67, The only J30 that needs the timing belt replace at 60,000 miles is the 93 model 94 and up timing belts get replace at 105,000 mile.
    I have a 94 J30 and I just had the timing belt package done on my car. I don`t remember everything that was replace in that package just some things like the timing belt, waterpump, waterpump belt and a couple of other things and the price I paid was $760. I don`t know where you are located but I am in MD,Va,DC area, my dealer was Rosenthal Infiniti in VA. I have a 106,000 mile on my car and still running good.
  • txguy67txguy67 Posts: 31
    I really appreciate the info you both provided... Guess I should take my car off the lot... I was actually going to sell it rather than pay that ridiculous price... I know I'm definitely NOT going back to the local Infiniti dealer.
  • hello all -

my 1995 J30 ABS warning light came on last night during one trip and when i started the car to return home it stayed off - anybody experience a sporadic ABS warning light?

thanks - cory.
  • I am shopping for a 2001 I30Luxury model with Xenon HID and Chrome wheels with gold embleming. I was quoted for $28950 for the basic with Xenon and maybe another $700-800 for the Chrome and Gold embleming from one dealer? Is this a fair price? I appreciate anyone's input who bought recently 2001 I30 luxury within the last couple of weeks?
  • All 93-94 (I'm not sure about 95) J30s have the same problem with door locks. It is a design flaw in the door lock timer (the delay is too short). An updated door lock timer (with a longer delay) is available that will fix the problem. We have 2 J30s (93 & 94) that I replaced the door lock timer on myself. It takes about 10-15 minutes. I paid about $60 for the part from Infiniti of Scottsdale. It is well worth $60 to not get locked out of your car!
  • I noticed several posts about headlight problems. Your headlamp relay has gone bad. They have an updated relay that is electronic instead of mechanical. I replaced this on one of our J30s (the other one still works). The list price on the part is under $30. It's located under the hood in the corner by the firewall on the driver's side. The hood strut gets in your way. It's a pain to replace, but this will fix your problem cheap. You can test for this problem by tapping on the relay when you have the headlights on. If it makes one go on and off, this is the culprit. It's usually the driver's side headlight that goes on and off.
  • There is good news for those with sunroof problems. Infiniti now has a sunroof repair kit for about $30~40. Only problem is it is extremely labor intensive. Warranty pays the dealer 4.6 hours labor to fix. Imagine doing it yourself. My brother wants to attempt this when he gets some time.
  • The window regulators on the J tend to go bad. The window will go slowly, this means that the regulator is binding. If you keep using it without replacing the regulator, you'll burn out the motor (regulator is cheap, motor expensive).
  • If you buy tires, make sure you get the quietest ones you can find! The J will sound like a tractor with the wrong tires. I have Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus on mine, they are very quiet. Just Ordered Yokohama Avid H4 for parents' J, they are supposed to be even quieter (and less than half the price).
  • You can get your Bose CD player, amps, whatever repaired cheap. Look around online for shops that specialize in this, there are tons of them online. You have to take it out and send it in, but it's worth it.
  • I just purchased a '96 J-30 with 33,000 miles. I know the book says the timing belt should be replaced at 105,000, but I'm wondering if there is an "age factor" that should be considered as well? This car has been in service for almost 5 years now. I hate the thought of replacing the belt with so few miles, but I don't want to risk engine damage either. Any thoughts out there?
  • Don't replace the timing belt at 33K. I was going to replace my 96 with 62K but thanks to this BB I saved myself a huge amount of $$$. I was almost robbed by my local Infiniti dealer. Was your car garaged for years? That low of mileage is incredible. I own a 96 (Bordeaux Red, Tan interior), what do you have?
    Good Luck-You'll Love your car Immediately...
  • I just had the dealer give me an estimate on repairing/replacing a blown rear speaker. Since these speakers have the amplifier built in, apparently you cannot just replace it with a speaker from your local car audio retailer. I was told that Bose can repair the speaker for $130 plus 1 hr labor to remove and 1hr labor to replace (at $84/hr). I was also told a new speaker would cost around $600. Has anyone tried to remove a speaker and send it to Bose directly? I've taken a look at how the speaker is installed, and it looks a bit more complicated than when I used to do this in high school with the old Kraco's. Maybe this is why the dealer charges for 1 hour of labor. Any suggestions?
  • As I stated in an earlier post, this is a DIY project. Go to some websites such as boserepair.com, carstereohelp.com, etc. You can do a search on the web for Bose repair, Nissan, Infiniti, etc. and there are tons of places that will fix it for you at a reasonable cost. These shops know exactly what the problems are, how to fix them, etc. It's probably your the amp, not the speaker itself. If you have the service manual you can see how to remove the door panel for removal/installation. You will have to ship it out for repair but the cost is minimal. Hope this helps.
  • I had all my fuel injectors on 94 J30 go bad slowly one at a time. The extended warranty covered it. The dealer mentioned that is a common problem on J30s. I was wondering if any of you have run into it.

Any suggestions to prolong the life of the fuel injectors. Thank you!
  • Mine is black w/the chrome "t" wheels -- great looking combo! I looked at one w/your bordeaux red color and really liked it too. I take you are in TX as well -- which dealer was trying to stick it to you? I'm in Dallas & would like to avoid them. Have you found anyplace you can recommend?
  • I'm in El Paso...Hoy Fox Infiniti is the dealer who I've had problems with. A friend had the 30K done on his I30 and the bill was $800.00, with new brakes on the rear.. Shouldn't the front brakes go out first? I suggest finding a local import repair shop in your area. If you'd like another J30 let me know...
  • this message is for azylstra..i saw you said there was a kit you could get for the repair of your sunroof. i was curious where you get this kit from., or did you go ahead and get the car fixed
  • My '93 J30's dashboard lights go out when I put on the headlights. Any thoughts???
  • I've been told that all of the j30s have a posi-trac rear end. I'm just having a hard time finding info about them on the net, which brings me to my next question. I can't seem to find performance numbers anywhere. I'm looking for stats such as 0-60, skidpad, slalom, turning radius, etc... If anybody knows these or where to find them, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
  • Does anyone know what year (if any) that the
    j30 went to the new freon style (r23?)for the
    a/c? I am getting ready to buy a '96, and want
    to make sure it is the new style, as they
    charge a lot for the old (r12?)...

Also, any recurring a/c problems with this car?

Thanks in advance!!!
  • the new style is r134a to make it a correct
    question... I think most cars switched
    around '96, but as '97 is the j30's last
    year, I am wondering if the new freon a/c
    waited for the I30.......
  • I owned a 93 G20 and it had the R134A refrigerant. I assumed my 96 J30 has the "new" freon as well. Now a question to all you J30 owners... Do you shut off the climate control before you shut off the engine? I can't find a "straight" answer from the dealer or anyone else. My worry is the compressor clutch going bad if you shut off the engine before the ac.
  • i see a few posts about blown speakers, i don't think i have one, but i'm not sure since i've never heard one before, its sorta of a static/buzz type sound, but as soon as i crank it up at highway speeds it goes away, its when i'm at low speeds around town, sounds wierd and is annoying

also a suggestion for all you out there that have the lockout problem, i got a set of "plastic" wallet keys cut for the at AAA for free, they work great in getting back in the car, and if your careful enough, i even got the car started on the plastic one, scary huh?
  • My '96 uses the new refrigerant. RE: txguy67 -- I'm betting the majority of people do not turn off the A/C prior to shutting down the engine. I've never done it and I've never had a compressor clutch go out. I typically keep a car for at least 5-8 years (and in Texas, no less). Not that any of that makes it the "right" thing to do, just some more info for your survey.
  • Thanks Oneunder for the A/C help.
    Another question...I'm thinking of replacing my stock headlamps with the brighter "blue" lamps. I found them locally, but wonder if the new lamps will cause any type of problem. Has anyone switched out their lamps?