Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti J30

Comments

• aledre50aledre50 Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 J30, which I purchased at 47K on it. For the most part, it has been a very good car; I plan to stay in the infinite line. However, I have had problems with the window motors. I have changed two motors since I purchased the car. I am in the process of changing the second motor on the passages side. The motor is from a used J30 that had about 30K on it. I replaced the motor and when I preformed the operational check of the new motor, the window did not want to go up. It was very slow as if was binding. I double-checked the alignment I disconnect the motor and operated it without the window attached and it worked fine. I even lub the window tracks. I do know what is going on and I have done this a time or two….

Thanks you
  • I bought a 1993 J30 in 2000 with about 12,000 miles on it. It had one owner with all work done by the dealer. I loved it and put 100,000 more miles on it. I totalled it a few weeks ago and am on another car search. I looked at J30s here in Houston and there were several listed with prices from $5000 to $1500. I see a lot of Infinis here which may affect the price being lower. In Seattle when I bought mine, Infinitis were unusual. Bottom line: J30 and mileage sound good, but price seems high.
  • In 2000, I bought a 1993 J30 with about 12K miles on it. I drove it for 100K miles and it needed minimum repairs. It should have gone to 200K miles without any question according to my dealer and I delighted to have me J30 to count on for a few more years. Unfortunately, I ran into a terrible rainstorm on a black night in Texas--I couldn't even see my hood. Semis were everywhere, and I drifted too far left trying to avoid being hit and ran off the road into the median and hit a guardrail. Well, the car was totalled, I was virtually unscathed thanks to the airbags and the well-made car. Soooo, almost everything I read about J30s is good and people love driving and riding in the car. Now I am looking again.
  • I was reading somewhere on this site, but not the forums, a number of posts by people who basically loved their J30s as I do/did, and several people mentioned problems with the sunroof and they seem to have just given up on it and kept enjoying their car. I had the same problem, and enjoyed it almost as much without a functioning sunroof.
  • Hello I have INFINITI J30T 1994 AND MY CAR WOULD START AFTER I CRANKED IT TWICE LIKE IT WAS TRYING TO GET POWER NOW IT DOES NOT START MAYBE AFTER LIKE 10 TIMES TRYING MY BOYFRIEND SAID IT HAD TO DO WITH THE STARTER BUT THERE WAS ANOTHER NAME HE CALLED IT BUT HE SAID IT MIGHT COST 50 DOLLARS CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE THIS WOULD BE LOCATED AND HAS ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM I LOVE MY CAR AND NOW IT SITS IN MY DRIVEWAY :cry:
  • did you hear a howling noise before the car stalled out? im going to try your metod and hope my J30 starts up, let you know
  • Folks,
    I have a 1994 Infiniti J30. Its been a great car for the 5 years that i have had it. i bought it with 160K miles on it and now am at 220K. These one of the most maintenance friendly car you can find. I did get the radiator and water pump changed at 200K.
    Since Dec 07 its being used less and less....i had a son....and bought a new FX35.
    I am now looking to sell it out. Its been a great car and someone looking to use it to drive around or ever for parts will appreciate the "No Dings" nature of my Infi.
  • ok how much do u want for your car?I have a 93 j30 but i will mainly use it for parts on the mine if anything shd break down on mine...i will drive yours for a while though lol...whichever one will break down first will have the other for parts..Let me know...my email address is tbnorthwest@yahoo.com.
  • I have an Infiniti J30 and I just got it about 5 months ago and it was given to me as a gift. I had replaced the transmission in it. it worked great for about 3 months. Well I started to replace the fuel filter and all that stuff and the car started to start shaking like the spark plugs were causing it but I changed those and there was still problems, the same problems. I don't know exactly what might be wrong but I was told it could be a sensor problem but where? Well the car will not start not no more, it will turn over just not start. If anybody can help please help, contact me by e-mail, LILxSTEPHi116@aol.com. thank you so much. :confuse:
  • Did you connect the fuel filter hoses back in correctly? If you are unsure, try tracing the hose again to be sure.
  • shoot.....I have a 94 J30t that I might want to sell........
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi there,

You may not have noticed that is a very old post you answered, but I should let you know that the CarSpace Forums may not be used for buying and selling. Check the Membership Agreement for further details. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Thanks!
  • I bought a 93/j30 about 6 months ago and im very happy overall but lately my headlights go off all by themselves in some very scary situations.Im willing to do what is necessary to fix them if I knew what to do.Please help!!!
  • I'm sorry I can't hellp you. In the years that we owned our Infiniti J30 we never had anything like that happen to us.

Generally, it was a very reliable / safe car. Sounds like a potential electrical problem.

Best of luck
  • I had the same problem with my 93/j30. The symptoms were a little different in that the headlights never went off while I was actually driving. In my case they either failed to come on at all or only the driver's side headlights would work. I took the car to an auto electric shop earlier this week and they diagnosed the problem as a faulty headlight relay switch. The part from the Infiniti dealership, labor plus a "diagnostic" fee came to just under $300.
  • This is a pretty common issue with J30. If original poster has same problem, replacing the relay is an easy 30 min do it yourself task. the relay sits near the firewall in the engine bay.
  • 94j94j Posts: 5
    I have a 94 J (114K mi.)... and although my radio & CD player stopped working a few years ago (and I chose to not go through the expense of replacing/repairing it), my antenna has developed a weird quirk. Actually, this may be happening because the tip of my antenna broke off... but the antenna no longer fully retracts when I turn off the engine; it makes a noise like it's trying to retract, but can't. The noise lasts about 10 seconds after the key is removed. The antenna also randomly attempts to go up & down while I'm driving, making that same obnoxious (and embarrassing) noise. Stepping on the brake seems to always trigger action in the antenna, but it also happens randomly.

I've tried pulling the antenna fuse thinking this would simply cut the power to the antenna. Since my radio doesn't work, I don't need the antenna anyway. Any advice??!

Also... I've normally taken my J to the dealer to be worked on, but that's been costly. I'm planning to find an independent repair shop to do the work. Any advice on finding a shop who I can trust to deal with the quirky-but-great J30?
  • the_jammerthe_jammer Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    my car runs for about 3 -4 minutes then cuts off.. it wont start 4 maybe a few hours.. no one can seem to tell me what the problem is.. i've had fuel pump, fuel line, filter , tune up.and still it keeps doing this...help...................................this is a 94 also.
  • Sounds like it is some kind of electrical relay. You will need to take it some inde mechanic who works on electrical stuff. My mazda had something similar and it turned out to be a pickup coi probleml. Not sure if J30 has similar design.
  • I own a '93 j30 (bought it used with 160000 on it)and both back doors are locked, the passenger door sometimes locks on it's own, and the drivers door you need to push up and slam it, usually 2-3 times! I've read every thing twice about the Door Lock Timer and have taken it and re-soldered all the points. The locks on all doors click/flip, (the little thumb nob moves)
    Here are some questions,
    can a door lock timer partially work?
    I think the passenger door is a physical problem (as opposed to an emotional one) is this common?
    Could all the locking rods inside the doors go bad at once?
    Thanks