Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti J30

Comments

• bscbluebscblue Member Posts: 103
    Okay, this question may seem kind of nit picky in a way but I'm just curious and want to be thorough. The J30's front floor mats, of the 1993 model year, have 'J30' embroidered on them. I have not noticed this on subsequent model years, with the later models having just the Infiniti logo. Was 1993 the only year they embroidered the name of the car on the mats?
  • acarter2acarter2 Member Posts: 63
    I just purchased a K&N air filter and installed it today, My J feels a bit quicker. Its worth the $44.00. Plus its good for 100k miles.
  • txguy67txguy67 Member Posts: 31
    Blue: interested in a 96 J with 71K miles? Showroom condition...
    Acarter2: GS20 is a creme that takes out most scratches. Saw it on an infomercial but I think you can buy it at Walgreens (not sure though). Did your mileage suffer with the K&N filter? I'm at 21 in the city so far.
    To ALL!!! any news on the "New J?" I keep hitting Infiniti's site, but nothing has shown up yet.
    I have not gone trough a full tank of gas as of yet, so its a bit early to see what the K&N did to my gas milage. I do notice that you have to use less effort on the gas pedal to get going from a stop. So it does require you to change some habits.
  • i006129i006129 Member Posts: 71
    There was a post on these guys but can't find it now. They came recommended and had positive comments on this board, but now they've had my stereo for 4 weeks and the phone's been disconnected. Anybody know a good lawyer in Orlando????
    Tx, you trying to get rid of your J?!
  • halkideschalkidesc Member Posts: 5
    Post #105 asked about buying wheels for the touring version. I recently bought two wheels from www.autogator.com ((800) 252-6662), which is a nissan/infiniti salvage yard and new parts dealer in Sacramento. They have not arrived yet, so I can't comment on quality.

Another post asked about whether premium gas was necessary. The CarTalk web site (Click and Clack) also dealt with this and said yes.
    You interested bscblue?
    HELP!!
    Last night my J stopped "chiming" when I'd leave the key in the ignition AND the doors will lock also!!! This morning it functioned properly, drove to my office and it happened again! The fuses are fine everything else works... The headlight on chime doesn not work along with the others. What's up with that?
    JJR
  • geoj30geoj30 Member Posts: 1
    We've just purchased a 93 J30 I/ 74K on the odometer, and I must say it is quite a car. I've only one concern - while driving around town (<45mph), it doesn't seem to know which gear it would like to be in. I'm not certain how to describe it, but is as if the car is skipping or hesitating as it searches for a comfortable PM. This happens whether I'm in 3rd gear or drive. On the highway, no problem, only around town. In drive, the PM's are below 2000, in 3rd they're around 2300. Any suggestions?? And thanks for your advice.
    TX, I've read every posting in this section and I remember reading the J30 does that sometimes. It, like the Jags before and AFTER it, have a few electrical gremlins. But, thankfully, the reliability of the J30 is way above that of older Jags.

The door lock sensor on your J30 is going bad. Post #40 talks about this. He said you can fix it yourself in about 10 or 15 minutes with a part that shouldn't cost you but a pittance from your local Infiniti dealer. That'll fix it right. TX, is your model a base model or a touring edition?

Geo, I can't imagine what the problem could be. I remember somebody saying somthing about this, maybe not. Go to your local Infinit dealer and speak with the mechanics. They could give you some insight.
    Thanks Bscblue..guess that should take care of the chime also...a bit nit picky aren't I...
    My J is the "non-touring" model, but it does great on twisty roads and loves to be pushed hard into corners...
  • mdamesmdames Member Posts: 79
    Anyone interested in purchasing 4 factory wheels from my 1994 J30. They are the standard alloy wheels with 9 spokes (not the touring wheels). They are in wonderful condition. Hardly a mark on them. I got different wheels for the car and would like to sell these. How about $300 for the set. This includes the center caps - in perfect condition.
    Thanks, Mike Ames. You can contact me at mikeames@earthlink.net.
    TX, you're not nit-picky you're just a guy who loves his car. Nothin' wrong with that at all! I'd sooner buy a car from a person who loves their car and it showed than somebody who "just needs the money" or what not.

Mike, what kind of wheels did you put on your J? I have usually found that the wheels that were designed for a car usually look best, especially when we're talking about luxury cars. I'm not saying you did this though. Most people will put some rank-[non-permissible content removed] wheels on a car and think they're cute.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    I purchased some refurbished (like new) J30 touring wheels. These are the 20 spoke wheels on the J30T. My wife drives the car and really likes those wheels the best. They do look very different than the original wheels, sportier looking.

Mike
    Oh, good. I do like the touring wheels more than the other wheels. They do just look better. I saw some for sale on Ebay today for $150 dollars for a set of 4.

Hope you didn't over pay. So, did any switch from an American car over to soemthing like an Infiniti. Now's your chance to be in the spotlight . . .
  • tomrattomrat Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if valve lifter noise could be associated with a bad cam shaft. I am looking to purchase a 94 J30 w/ 100k. I have read some other precautions to look out for but didn't see anything along this line mentioned. Thanks
    I just thought I'd share something with y'all. I was looking through Ebay at the Infinitis on offer and I found an absolutely PERFECT 1993 J30. I wouldn't necessarily consider buying that year model due to the 60k timing belt and the 4 speaker set-up but this one is cherry and makes one think twice. A model witht his low mileage and this excellent a condition is a true find.

Take a look: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=591883179&r=0&t=0

I just placed a order with Joshua Tree for wood trim for my J. It looks like good stuff. Does anyone have any tips for the instal? They have some good pics at (woodtrim.com) I should get the kit next week. They were offering 20% off and free shopping until June 4. The kit was $264.00 and i got it for $209.00, Good time to buy! Any feed back is welcom.
    I recently purchased the full wood trim kit from this company as well. I do have some info for you. I ordered the "factory match" color. It wasn't a perfect match, but it was very near perfect. I was very pleased. However, be careful to look over each piece for flaws (cracking, slits, etc...). Two of the pieces had serious flaws. I was able to get replacements for these. But don't install anything until you know that you like each piece. Also, the pieces are quite thick, much thicker than some other companies' kits. As a result, I had some trouble getting the console piece that fits around the shifter to stay down (it curves downward where it meets the ashtray wood). I had to use some epoxy adhesive and clamp the end of the piece for 24 hours. After I did this it stayed fine, and looks real good. One last thing, the two A/C vent pieces were not a real good fit. Even though they line up perfectly along the bottom edge, they aren't wide enough to totally cover the vents. They just aren't a perfect fit. They look OK though.

After all was said and done, I am satisfied, but not thrilled with the kit. If you stay with the Joshua Tree kit, look out for what I told you. Otherwise, you might want to try a few others, some will send you samples for a small fee. I would probably try to find a thinner kit. It's much easier to work with and looks better. The only thing is trying to find a kit that is a good match to what is already in the car. The Joshua Tree kit was a good color match. Hope this helps.

Mike
    Mike the woodtrim tips will be a big help. Ill let you know how it goes.
  • doctordave1999doctordave1999 Member Posts: 14
    I ordered the wood kit from Joshua Tree a couple of weeks ago based on the recommendation of posters on this board. I spent part of Sunday afternoon installing it and it does look GREAT!!

My one complaint was that the wood was not exactly a factory match, it was just slightly darker than the wood already in the car. Fortunately, I had ordered the entire kit, which included pieces to overlay over the existing wood. I felt silly doing this but it was necessary to preserve the overall color scheme.

The piece that goes over the sifter was indeed thick, and after that, the piece that surrounds the sifter would not stay down. You try to snap one side in and the other side pops back up. I used some rubber cement to hold it down and now that it is secure, the entire console looks GREAT.

In fact, it makes me wish there were more pieces available. I noticed a couple of other places on the dashboard (like, that narrow strip just over the glove compartment) that would look great covered in wood.

I want to dress up my J30 a bit more and am looking for ideas and accessories. Any ideas or resources?
    Doctor Dave, that sounds like you did good. But did you really cover the existing walnut with those other pieces?

I went to another site where they said that really isn't advisable; I can't remember the site address but they also sold factory exact matches. If I find it, I'll post it here because I think people need a bit of an alternative. I would take the pieces off if I were you.

Other sites to sue that I know of personally through friends who have used their products are Dashkit.com (they have a factory match kit less the console and driver door pieces) and my personal recommendation: wooddashfactory.com. They offer great factory matches that catually match the factory's wood! They also have a more-than-thorough FAQ if you're leery. The one thing they do that you don't ordinarily find is the use of one single piece of wood for one kit to insure consistency of the grain and color, which is key. Definitely check them out!

Anyhoo, you said you want other things to dress up your J. Have you thought about HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlights and foglights? They can give your J an immediate night appearance improvement and make you quite the shocker; people will think the J30 is a new model right off Infiniti lots. You can retrofit your J with real HID lights but it can range anywhere from maybe $600 on the low side to close to $2,000 dollars. Now if you don't want to spend that much or are kinda strapped for cash you could consider really high-quality faux HID lights that so mimic the look of those 2 grand HID lights that only an expert could tell the difference. They sell some on Ebay if you type in "xenon" or "HID" or even "J30," which gives you specific auctions. I'm not sure of their quality but they may be a good place to start to see if you like the look. But if you know you like it, I recommend mosin' on over to Eurolights.com. They offer many different options. Give them a shot.

This is slightly off topic but what do you think about this XLV hype? I think it's bunk.
  • rblakelyvorblakelyvo Member Posts: 3
    I have an emerald 94 with 115K and just had the timing belt replaced. I've had the car for three and a half years, and never had any problems with it, other than having the transmission replaced while it was still under warranty. (I imagine the dealership loves to bill the factory for all the warranty work it can, but that's another story.) At 105K, my dealer said I could actually afford to wait another few thousand miles before replacing the timing belt.

So, last week, I finally made the appointment and took the car in. I got a call from the service writer, and he told me it also needed a new tensioner and pulley, plus new belts, new water pump and thermostat, for which they wouldn't charge me labor since they already were in the same general vicinity.

Anyway, a job that was quoted as being $450 wound up costing me twice that, but I figure I would've spent more had the water pump gone out down the road. And since I had never replaced the belts, I chalked it up to just normal maintenance.

I've had the car serviced at the dealer since I've owned it (free lifetime oil changes, too) and never felt that they've ripped me off, but I just want to get some feedback from others who've replaced timing belts and see if my experience is par for the course.
    I asked my dealer about your cost and he said that the always like to change the tensioner when they put a new timing belt on. The reason being is that when they take the old one off, it never goes back and works well again, and you belt could slip. I think every dealer likes to change the other belt when they do the timing belt and the water pump is always a good idea. If you paid about $800.00 for the work, thats about fair.
    Well guys, My kit came in today and i installed it this morning, the kit was a tad darker than what was in the car. i was going to live with it but it just was not right. So i covered the existing wood with the extra kit pieces. The car looks great, but i feel bad about covering my existing wood. The wood in the Kit does look better that the factory wood, so im still on the fence about the whole thing. The shifter piece did not work well at all. I put it on and it looked great! But the plastic cover would not go on. I tried to trim the edges of, i ended up taking it off. I may try to get a brushed aluminum piece to go there( Like the I30).

I do have the foux HID lights and the car looks great at night. I would like to go to a 17" rim, all new lux cars that come off the line have 17" rims, i just cant find a look that i like for the car. I have a J30t, so i like whats on there now but i would like somthimg bigger.
    Y'all, I've taken the plunge! I finally got myself a J30! I bid on one on Ebay and won! I WON!! I WON!! A 1995 gold J30t! I am one of the elite now. I now own one and I truly understand. I understand that shipping costs are a [non-permissible content removed]. ;-) But that's only because I don't want to go pick it up and then drive it back. LOL

Anyhoo, besides a bit of jubilation, I've made a few preparations for my new arrival. I also got a set of faux HIDs from Eurolights.com. That's my first order of business because they're cheapest.

The timing belt doesn't cost that much at all. You can buy it online for just $50 bucks I saw. Is it possible to change out a timing belt one's self? I was just curious. if not, just take it to your mechanic friend and have them do it for $40 bucks and case of beer. Keep your enemies close but keep your blue collar friends closer . . . LOL

Um, Carter, did your car have the gray leather interior or the black interior? If so, the darker wood wouldn't really affect the overall interior scheme but if you have the beige interior the darker wood could overpower the interior. I only say this because I'm an architecture major and in addition to building styles you do learn a bit of interior and graphic design. And yes, a chrome piece directly around the shifter would a great deal of appeal and high style. If you can't find chrome, which I haven't been able to (let em know if you find a place that sells chrome interior pieces for the J), then a wood applique directly around the shifter would also be good.

Carter, if you found some 17s with a wire pattern like the J30ts wheels, they may work. As long as they aren't an outrageous chrome and brushed aluminum combo or some other tacky wheel they may look okay. Be careful. Too many cars have aftermarket wheels that look just horrible and don't fit the car's personality at all. Yikes!
    I saw that same J on ebay....Very Nice...Good Luck!!! I think I've sold mine should know tomorrow. Sad to see it go, but just one of those things that needs to be done.
    Tex, why on earth are you selling your J30? Has it been bad? Well, send it to the garage for a time out; I'm sure it'll coem around then. LOL

And if you are selling it, is it going to a good home?
    It's going to a good home (I made sure of that) I'll probably still help out with the maintenance just as a "Thank You." Unfourtunately the "X" wants it but I know it will be trashed within weeks, so I'd rather sell it. Aside from being one of my best cars it has a lot of "memories" also... Oh well guess that's the way the J bounces...
    Are you flying to TN or having yours shipped? That is a great looking car.
    Tex, I thoroughly understand. I guess it is better to sell it then let the ex get her hands on it and then ride it all to be damned.

I once saw in Car and Driver, when they do their car weird out issue back in 1990 or '91, car classified ads that were funny or unusual. A guy had placed an ad and it read:

BMW 525i For Sale: PW, PL. Black, Fully Loaded; Bloodsucking Ex-wife and her Lawyer forcing me to sell!

I thought I was gonna die! LOLOL Do you think you'll ever get another one?

I'm having mine shipped. I'd rather not drive it back; I want it to arrive in style!
    It's a done deal bscblue...new owner takes it Thursday.
    Don't know if I'll buy another one yet, am looking but not sure what I'll buy next.
    Does your Jt have the 4 wheel steering or was that 93-94 only?
  • iaustiniaustin Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a J30 probably a 94 or 95. I have read with interest a lot of the posts in the website and a general thank you to everyone. While I know a lot of you may not consider taking the car out in inclement weather, it would be a daily commuter for me. I would appreciate any information on how the car handles in the wet weather or the snow. I was worried because it was rear wheel drive. Has anyone had luck with different tires or does it handle fine as is? I am trading in an old toyota which handled pretty well.
    Bscblue, You will love this car when you get it ans as you drive you will love it more than yourself! Good for you! I have a purl J30t with the tan inside, The darker wood looks good, its only a tad darker than spec. I like the wheels on the new Jag s type. What do you think of some like that on the J? I would not attempt to do your own timing belt on the J. there is a lot of stuff to move out of the way. I do my own plugs, oil changes, and all filters, so if you need some info, i know my way around on the J.

iaustin, The J is bad in the snow! its not that its rear wheel drive,its the power that it has. When it snowes, i stay home. In the rain its fine, just start from a stop with care and if you are turning be easy on the gas if its wet. The car will fishtail if you dont respect it. Dont let this sway you, Get the Car! Just keep good tires on it and you will be fine.

PS i live in MD, we get some snow, not a lot.
    Tex (and you too, Austin, will benefit from this answer), the J30 only ahd HICAS 4-wheel steering on the '93 and '94 J30t. It was discontinued for the rest of the model run. Austin, the 4-wheel steering of the '93-'94 J30t model years might be better for you in snow and the rain.

Although, in my opinion, I'd go for the 1994 J30 because it got 2 more speakers for a 6 speaker set-up and heated seats, unless you can find an absolute mint '93. I have a post just up a bit that showed one that was immaculate.

Carter, I would recommend something stately but stylish but nothing too sporty (unless you have a sport modified J30, it would look a bit over-the-top and drug cartel-ish LOL). Tirerack.com is a great place to go because they actually have a picture of a J30 from the side (choose from 5 colors) and they have pictures of each wheel they offer for the J30 and you just click one to see what they look like on the car! I saw one set that was towards the end (17 in.) and it was . . . I don't know. It just looks different from all the others and you'll know it when you see it; it's inexpensive and good-looking. As a matter of fact, Carter, if you like the wheels of the S-Type that much, find a wrecked one in a salvage yard and buy them! They'll probably be perfect on the J!
  • seastartseastart Member Posts: 2
    Which one did you take ? when did the auction end ?
    Anyway - how for heaven's sake can you tell the condition of a car, besides its great look ?... next auctions
    Thanks, Sea! I'm sorry for not posting sooner. I was out of town for 2 days.

Anyhoo, I bought a gold J30t and it ended a few days back. You really can't tell how good a car is from looking online but it's no different really than going to a local lot; actually, it's probably better to buy online because you don't get as attached to the car and feel you "have to have this car today" and the sales people can't pressure you or pester you to buy. Also, I can retract my bid and go one about my business.

Online, they photograph EVERY significant inch of the car and some who sell specifically photograph any imperfections, from creased leather seats to a littl rock chip on the hood (check out the auctions to see what I mean. Those who sell online have to try that much harder to sell because they may be unknown to the buyer and subsequently are a bit more forthcoming with information. Buying from Ebay is very secure and people have to be fairly reputable to sell there. I'd done enough extensive research on the J30(every single model year) to know enough about the car and to know what to expect as far as problems and service goes. And even if I couldn't be there in person, I can hire someone to go and be my nitpicky eye for me. There are services springin' up online all the time that will go to a place and check out the car for you, i.e. Carcritic.com.

But I trusted the seller; I emailed him several emails asking very intensive questions, all of which he answered with promptness and utter thoroughness. He even took extra pictures for me so that I could get a better feel of the car.

All I have to say is you could be as easily gypped down at ABC Auto Sales as easily as online. At least after I was gypped, I wouldn't see the sales people out in public enjkoying my stupidity. LOL
    When does she arrive? We all want to here about the car when you get it. What year is it?
  • seastartseastart Member Posts: 2
    bscblue, if you have some time (before the j arrives...) can you share your findings re: 93 to 96 models: any special model's problems, things to be aware of, models to avoid and what kind of stuff to ask/check (like those questions you had for the dealer who sold you the j)
    Thanks again and enjoy your new car !
    If I may put in my 2 cents, I think that 95 and up are the best j30's made. They added 2 speakers, a lumbar support in the drivers chair, 105,000 timing belt. And if you look at the service bulletins, you will see how 93 and 94 had many problems and 95,96 and 97 had few. the only thing I like about pre 95 J30s is the 4 wheel steering.
    The car has already arrived and it is even better than what I expected. The car is absolutely pristine and I have yet to be shocked by finding something unseemly. I have checked every nook and cranny for anything out of place or unaccounted for. It smells new inside and it will definitely be a pampered pet! By the way, it is a gold 1995 J30t, the perfect year for me, really. The next place it will be off to is a mechanic for further check ups, just to be sure.

The first order of business will be to put in those faux HID lights and then later on see about getting the perfect wood kit. I'm so excited I could just spit . . .

Anyhoo, Sea, lemme tell ya the basics and what you should look for if you're considering a J. The model years are extremely important because certains things appeared and disappeared throughout the run. Carter has already hit a few points.

The 1993 model year for the J30 was, of course, its debut. It came in two trim levels: the base model and the touring edition (available all 4 years) which had the notable HICAS (High Capacity Actively Controlled Suspension) 4-wheel steering, which was used also in the Nissan 300ZX but it was the more powerful Super HICAS. At the back of any HICAS equipped Nissan, there is a steering rack that, tweeks the rear tow angles a little to add stability to the rear end while cornering. It only steers up to 1° so you forget it's there when driving but it does make itself felt on a winding road at higher speeds, giving the rear end a goodly amount of grip. The result is a bit of understeer, which can only be countered with some of oversteer, loads of fun, but not the fastest way around the twisties. If you live where conditions are very wet or snowy, you may want to consider this year as well as the 1994 model year. These cars all came with leather (no cloth) and a 4 speaker 200 watt Bose sytem (it had 4 amps if I'm not mistaken). It sounds just heavenly and is rivaled only by the Q45 and the Aurora. This Bose system, by the way, is compatible with CD-Rs! The front floor mats in this car also had the name 'J30' embrodered on them, the last year for this feature. The rest of the model years get just the Infiniti symbol.

The 1994 model year saw the addition of 2 more speakers for the Bose system for a pounding set of 6 and also seat heaters for cold mornings or if your butt is just preternaturally cold in all weather. LOL The HICAS 4-wheel steering was still in place but this would be the final year. This year the 60,000 mile timing belt was ditched in favor of a whopping 105,000 mile belt, making maintenance on this car that much easier.

The 1995 model year dropped the HICAS steering and added lumbar support for the driver, an anti-glare rear view mirror, and rear tailight set up that was tweaked (they changed it so subtly that you have to have a 1994 and 1995 side by side to see the difference).

The 1996 model year only got 3 new exterior colors, one of those being the gorgeous Cypress Pearl Metallic.

In 1997, nothing new was done.

Now, the problems you will mainly see on the J30 are simply electrical and related to that Bose system. The Bose system had the tendency to go out on you. The door relay sensors sometimes went out as well causing the doors to lock all by themselves, even with the keys inside. Watch for this after you get one. There are sometimes problems with the sunroof; problems are usually simple motor trouble (which is inexpensive to fix with a kit from an Infiniti dealer). Problems can also be simply the lining separating from the roof and thereby causing the liner to become stuck and not close all the way or making the roof not open up all the way. This is quickly fixed with adhesive. I suggest J.B. Weld for anything that goes wrong anywhere!

I hope this helps you. I would suggest you go with a 1994 J30 or above. But if you happen to find a pristine 1993 which is just in excellent shape and seems well taken car of then I would say go for it. Watch out for J30s with aftermarket wheels, sometimes they not only make the car hideous they can also throw of it's driving and handling characteristics. You don't want that.
  • doctordave1999doctordave1999 Member Posts: 14
    Well, unfortunately my 1994 J30t was involved in a very slight fender bender last month. No major damage, just enough to require a trip to the body shop to replace the front bumper.

I noticed when I picked the car up from the body shop, the HICAS 4-wheel steering light was on and would not go off. He next day the cruise control quit working. Probably what happened was the impact was just barely enough to jar a few things out of kilter. Maybe the sensor or fuse box that controls the Cruise Control and HICAS were jarred in such a way that the sensors need to be reset? Anyone out there know anything about this stuff?
    The car seems to drive great, but that HICAS light being on all the time is annoying.

Anyway, I took it to the dealer this morning to have it checked out and repaired, no charge since it's officially part of the "collision" (it wasn't much of a collision, at a traffic light at about 5 mph). Insurance should cover it, minus the deductible of course.

I said all that to say this: the dealer loaned me a brand new 2001 G20 with less than a thousand miles, to drive while my J30t is in the shop. I immediately noticed a difference--my 1994 J30t is a MUCH better, nicer, soother car---despite having almost 100K miles. I wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe a brand new Q45--but that $60K sticker price that I saw in the show room this morning quickly killed that idea.
    Doc, sorry about that! Whoever hit you should be flogged.

Also, I want to correct something I said in the post above Doc's. The Infiniti J30 did indeed have Super HICAS and not regular HICAS. And if you do happen to purchase one, purchase one from the South. It will be cheaper to get here and you know the car has probaly not been subjected to snow, road salt, and all those other northern goodies which corrode and rust the under side of the car and eat paint; the car probably has not been subjected to the intense heat of the southwest as well. The only thin that you may worry about is flood damage from the outlying southern states that get hurricanes and river flooding.

I know how you can run a self-diagnosis on your HICAS system just to make sure it is working or to test it. I'd give the car a bit of room to do this (by the way, these steps work in any HICAS equipped car, Japanese spec or Domestic spec). The steps are:

1. Ignition switch 'off' manual tranny in neutral or A/T in 'P'.

2. Start the engine.

3. Within 10 seconds after turning the key to 'ON', start the engine, turn steering wheel from left to right 20 degrees from neutral 5 times or more times & pump the brakes 5 times. Then press the brake pedal again to enter the test mode.

4. Turning the steering wheel left or right past 20 degrees from neutral will cause the rear wheels to turn slightly (~1 degree) (1.).

5. Drive the car forward 15 feet under 9mph to enter the full diagnostic mode.

6. The HICAS dash light will flash a code indicating any problems. Long flash is first digit, short flash is 2nd digit.

7. Diagnostic mode is exited when: ignition is turned off, vehicle speed exceeds 9mph, or diagnostic has operated for 5 minutes.

If you'd like to know what the lights mean, let me know. But if you're getting it fixed, it may not matter now.

I think there's no doubt in anyone's midn that the J30 is a nicer car than the G20. Not to mention nicer than the I30. It may not be as great a match to the Q45, but I don't like the new Q's looks right now anyway. The '97 to '01 Q was a looker . . . real classy.
    I agree with you Doc! I have had a 2001 I30 and a 2001 G20 for loaner cars. They both feel cheap next to my 95 J30t . I am going to get a 99 or 2000 Q45 next. My J will be passed on in another 2 years. I am a Infiniti fan for life.

BscBlue, My car is starting to lock on its own. Where is that sencer? i would like to change it myself.
    Carter, you have to go by the Infiniti dealer and buy a relay to replace the old one (it's cheap and they may give you instructions on how to fix it yourself). Actually, you may be able to order it online too. You'll have to take the door panel off to get to it; after that, it's a snap to fix!
    You can get wholesale prices on J30 parts from Infiniti of Scottsdale (Arizona). www.infinitiofscottsdale.com. Call the 800 number for the internet manager. I ordered some wheel center caps. Two local dealers wanted $45.00 a piece for them. I got them from Scottsdale for $27.00 each.
    Before I jump to far ahead of myself and just go completely crazy, has anyone had any other experience with aftermarket wood kit manafacturers, with an emphasis on quality and, of course, color? I was just curious.

I see we don't have as many postings in our little corner of the Town Hall, which is kinda sad. But I guess that's a good thing because the posts in most other forums contain some form of bitching every few steps. LOL
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    anyone know how to replace a fuel injector on the J30. the dealer charges $500+ for one and $800+ for two. Is it very difficult? Thanks..
    I just ordered and installed a wood kit into my J30. I ordered it from Woodtrim.com, I got the recomenfdation from the post here. The Kit was on sale for $209.00 reg, $269.00. Well it showed up in 3 days and was easy to install. The color was a hair darker, but I am very happy with the install, The wood trim is a good quality. I have had it in the car for 2 weeks and with the sun shining on it all day at times and there is no sign of cracking etc.

Go to woodtrim.com and have a peak.
    Go to nissanhelp.com, you can ask how to change your injectores, and they will tell you how step by step.