Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fiat 500

Comments

• websmackwebsmack Posts: 11
    Only small children can fit in the back and pets. Adults can not sit back there, not even small adults. And if you do have children or pets they will tear up the interior of this car because it's cheaply made, scratches so easily that you have to be careful with umbrella's and key marks and shoe scuffs. It's 100% cheap plastic that's cute and stylish but not durable. I've owned mine since Sept 2012 and I have to work very hard to keep it looking good, inside and out, that's just one person - I can't imagine trying to keep it new looking with passengers, human or otherwise. And if you put enough weight in it that will challenge the underpowered 101 hp engine even more.
    edited May 2013
    There are lots of differences good and bad, check out the comparison at Car & Driver http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-fiat-500-sport-vs-2011-mini-cooper-- comparison-test I didn't even have to test drive the Mini Cooper because I fell in love with the FIAT 500 Sport the second I got in the driver seat. The honeymoon is over and I can see the faults of my FIAT, still I love love love it.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Posts: 113
    Thanks websmack for your reply.
  • andyinatlandyinatl Posts: 2
    I have had my 2012 Fiat 500 Pop since May of 2012. I have 11 year old and 6 year old and when the road trip comes up, they both want to ride in 500 rather than my wife's Volvo wagon. So far i've taken my family of 4 in the Fiat 500 on road trips from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach (6 hour drive) and Jupiter, FL (9 hour drive). Both times after we got to the destination, all of us were no more tired than after riding in Volvo wagon; the seats in Fiat 500 are super comfortable. Yes Volvo has more space inside, and is more comfortable due to having smoother ride, but Fiat is plenty comfortable. And it gets easy 39-40mpg going 75 mph. Not ONCE have my kids complained from back seat about lack of space, and looking over there, i could see plenty of legroom left for them.

As disclosure, i'm 6 feet, 185 pounds, my wife is 5'5" 135 pounds, and 2 kids average for their age.

Powerwise, the engine is not very powerful, but if you get manual transmission, it's really not too bad. It's 0-60 acceleration (whaterver that proves) is better than Toyota Prius, yet you don't hear many people complaining that Prius can't get out of its own way.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Posts: 113
    Thanks for your opinion andyinatl, appreciate your feedback!
  • ks55ks55 Posts: 8
    The problem is "Fix It Again Tony" has such a memorable ring to it, people may stay away from the 500 because of fears of unreliability, unfair given that the rep of unreliable was earned by Fiats from 30 years ago.

Anyone who bases there opinion on something from 30 yrs. ago is an idiot. Have not read or heard of any reliability problems ....and believe me I have been looking as I am considering one of these. ( an :shades: ABARTH)
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    edited August 2013
    I've driven my 2013 500 4,000 miles, and I'm very pleased with the way it drives and rides. It's fun, well equipped, very maneuverable, gets excellent fuel economy and has a 1/3 longer warranty than most competing models in its class. It also cruises surprisingly well on the highway, and it feels solid.

No problems to date.

Minor quibble: The sun visors are too small, but that can probably be addressed with extenders
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    The only issue I had when driving across Alligator Alley was when the rains came, the thing started to hydroplane at 70 so I immediately let off the gas and things calmed down a bit. Still, there was that brief moment there where it skidded a tiny bit which left me somewhat scared...have never had the same thing happen with my Civic, which is just a more planted vehicle to drive hands down. For this reason alone, I would never buy or drive a Fiat but at work, I usually have some choice on what I get to drive except when the boss hands us keys...most times the vehicles are lined up and we just walk over and pick one. I usually glance real quick at the selection and go towards one but there are a couple of others who tend to move a bit faster than I so I have to change my preference pretty quick sometimes after they've chosen their rides. I've only had a few bad vehicles, especially the Dodge dart without cruise...we were going to Orlando and this puppy didn't have it which wasn't good. On the shorter Lauderdale to Miami or Miami to West Palm runs, having no cruise isn't a big deal but on the longer ones, I need cruise due to my spinal issues. I'm in hog heaven if I can snag a power seated vehicle and am off the charts when I get one with SAT radio but that doesn't happen often!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited August 2013
    Hey, Sept 18 is my one anniversary. Today I ran a 330 mile roundtrip along I-85 and averaged 41.9 hwy. That's awesome because my February roundtrip (2000 miles and lots of stops) only averaged 39, but different terrain and a lot of rain too. You know, I bought Mopar oil filters and found a local shop that charges me $36 and includes a wash lol. Compare that with the FIAT dealership 120 miles -Rountrip- and they will not do the service in under 3 hours, soooooooo.... won't be going back. I'm in the groove of changing oil and rotating tires every 4000. I had the first alignment too at 14K, it was $200 -a ripoff- but it's done and I'll find someone else for the next alignment. I switched from nitrogen to air, PSI as recommended old pressure. All of that has gotten me 41.9 :) The car is holding up well, gets a weekly express wash and hand wax monthly with Turtle Wax. Oh by the way, TomTom Blue&Me is having an issue locating a signal, takes a long time, though I update it weekly with GPSFIX. Today I got halfway to Charlotte and TomTom decided he didn't want to do his job *sigh*. Ahhh, this update is boring, no? lol well that's a good thing :) Hope ya'll enjoy your FIAT adventures as much as I am!
    A you may know, cruise control is standard on the base Pop model, as are other nice features, such as leather wrapped steering wheel.
    No, had no idea but besides hydroplaning a bit in the rain, it wasn't that bad of a vehicle truth be told. And as a commuter vehicle, it does fit the bill nicely as it does have that coolness vibe going on...sorta like a Mini for those on a limited budget. For my next vehicle, part of me wants to stay with a reliable foreign compact but the other part wants a smallish "cool" vehicle so when the time comes, I plan to test a full range of things just to make sure I hit all the bases and get the perfect vehicle. I might have to pay a little more than I'd like and also give up a little in mileage but am determined to choose the coolest vehicle for me! Logic be damned!!

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Which would be the nearest to a perfect vehicle for you, at an acceptable price, if you were to buy one today?
    The MINI is faster and more expensive than the 500, model for model. The Fiat is cheaper to buy and maintain, gets better fuel economy, rides better, and has higher seating.

Both have attention-getting looks.

I cross shopped the MINI and the 500 earlier this year, and it was close to a toss-up for me. As you may know from an earlier post, I ended up buying a 500 and I'm very happy it; not one problem after 6,000 miles. I'm sure I'd love the MINI too, but I had to choose.

Did you or are you cross-shopping the Fiat and MINI?
    At this point am doing nothing as we need to get the wife a vehicle first and am hoping that the last week of this year will be that time. Right now with just shy of 122k on the clock, things are working and the a/c problem isn't getting worse. Depending on problems and her trust in the vehicle will really decide when we cut the Mazda from the herd. She might even decide to keep it for as long as possible which is her choice since she will be fittin' the bill. Personally, I'd cut it soon before any new issues crop up...feel we've gotten great service out of it and I really don't want her to be forced into purchasing in a hurry in the event something major happens. To pay for a major repair and then turn around and dump the vehicle is bat [non-permissible content removed] crazy to me so my solution is to swap it out while it's all good so avoiding any drama. Under duress, folks tend to make bad and sometimes costly mistakes just to "get something" and I don't work that way.

With my personal vehicle, it's running great and just moved over the 43k mark but if something comes along that really gets me super excited, I might just decide to pounce even though it's totally out of character. But since I've retired and had some major health issues, I've changed my outlook on life and have become a bit more flexible on many things where I tended to be rigid before. I've learned to "never say never" and "that life can change in an instant". My new mantra is..."anything is possible"!

The Sandman

edited August 2013
    I'm sorry about your health issues. From your earlier post I got the impression that you've driven a lot of different cars.

I agree with your philosophy on life.
    edited August 2013
    Why is the Fiat 500 discussion in the "coupes" section when it's a hatchback?
    edited August 2013
    The reason I drive a lot of different iron is because of my part time job...we move rental vehicles around the state of Florida. How busy we are depends on what time of year it is and the travel industry, a kind of feast or famine job. I heard that Last fall was quite busy with December being absolutely crazy. January through April was busy and then after that, things slacked off a bit and July was pretty dismal. August hasn't been that much better so we're all hoping that after Labor Day things will pick up. For a person like myself whose passion is the automobile, this job is a G-d send and I work whenever they call me to. I'm kinda like my bosses "go to guy"...he calls and I come no matter what time or day. I like the flexibility and work as much as I can though there are about 14 folks in our crew...he does his best to keep things pretty even which we all appreciate!

The Sandman

It sounds like a great job.

Incidentally, my 500 has the 5-speed manual. I imagine the rentals are all automatic, which changes the character of the car, fuel economy and performance.
    Yep, all slush boxes so far but they are equipped pretty nicely. If I needed an around town commuter, this would be a good choice and I do like the new "L" model...perhaps it'll drive a bit more planted to the ground. An old friend got her Mini last week and I was smitten the minute I saw it and said to myself...you could do this! For some reason, that vehicle is just calling me like no other one before...it's weird but I really want one. My daughter wanted to get one but we only had limited funds for her so we got her an economical vehicle as her 1st one. I've been doing economobiles my whole life but now am ready for some more lux...and I deserve it to!

The Sandman

I also really like the basic MINI Cooper, with a limited number of options. It's the only MINI that you can order without run-flat tires, and the power would be sufficient for me. What concerns me about MINIs, though, is their reputation for high maintenance and not very good reliability.

I don't have an opinion on the 500L yet, as I haven't even seen one on the road. Please give us feedback if you test drive one.