Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Time to Play "WHO AM I"?

1363738394042»

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2011
    I wonder what that Crestliner, in that condition, would be worth today?

So, I take it Chevys were considered cooler in your town, in the early '50s. The few Chevys that were modified with split manifolds sounded neat. One guy in my town in WI had a '51 Plymouth with a split manifold, milled head, and other mods he wouldn't disclose, making it pretty quick for its day. He won quite a few bets against Fords and Chevys.
  • omarmanomarman Posts: 720
    That well known Frank Gorshin star vehicle, Dragstrip Girl, spawned a movie poster with a hot rod and a pair of 4 barrel carbs thrusting out of the engine bay. Who were the original vehicle builders and the carburetor maker offering factory-built high performance 4bbl V-8 engines long before the muscle car era? And what year did this airpower begin?
  • berriberri Posts: 4,254
    Wasn't the Crestliner just sort of a place holder because that chassis couldn't be converted to meet the new hardtop coupes from GM and then Chrysler? IIRC it wasn't much of a seller either. so I could see how it might be worth some money today. I always though the subsequent 52-54 Ford's were decent lookers for their day.
    You're correct regarding the Crestliner, and I agree with you on the '52-54s.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,630
    edited May 2011
    A 50s Crestliner today, in "fair" condition, but solid, complete, unrusted, running....should be worth about $8500. As a nice clean #3 driver, about $17K and as a very sharp #2, north of $30K. The buyer pool for this type of car may be shrinking fast, however.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

"The buyer pool for this type of car may be shrinking fast, however"

A agree, as people who can remember the Crestliner dwindle. As for me, I remember it, but wouldn't buy one at those prices. I'd enjoy seeing one at a car show, though.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,197
    My Dad's first car was a black 1950 Ford coupe, but it wasn't a Crestliner.
    Sort of an odd-looking thing, isn't it.

edited May 2011
    That's indeed a nice one.

Totally different, but that two-tone reminds me of a deep maroon and black New Beetle in the showroom of a local VW dealer. It really looked sharp. Color(s) can make such a difference!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,858
    Yes, my town was a Chevy town. A few guys had Fords but they were far from cool. Convertables were laughed at and Chrysler products were few and far between. Even today a lot of the old "Cholos" remain and it's not uncommon to hear the sweet sound of a split manifold on an old Chevy six.

1948-1954 Chevys were probably the most desired and the town is still full of them.
    Yeah, they were odd. did you watch that short video? I was trying to decide if that interior fabric was original. It appeared to have a black vinyl headliner and I don't think it came like that but I can't say for sure.
    edited May 2011
    I have no idea. I'm not very keen (or interested) in what's exactly correct on mass-produced cars. If it's close to right, that's good enough for me. Of course, I'll research things like this for people who deem it important but if it were my car, I could care less if the glove compartment hinge was really from a '51 instead of a '50.

Oh, I'm not that fussy either and in the case of an oddball like that Crestliner, it would be near impossible to find reproduction interior fabric anyway unlike a '55 Bel Air.

I was just wondering if you happened to know.
    No, I don't have any good books on that particular car. I could probably find out but it would require some time to do that. I have to say I've never seen anything like that on a similar type of car, so it does look a bit dubious.

Nice thing about cars *that* obscure--nobody else knows either!

• berriberri Posts: 4,254
    Didn't Kaiser do that same vinyl roof thing in lieu of hardtops (or convertibles in their case) around the same time as the Crestliner?
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,161
    I was thinking of that car too, the Kaiser Virginian

There was also a Model A with a fake convertible top.
    Yeah, I do remember the Kaisers had something similar that almost looked like bamboo or straw.
    You know, Ford made a lot of versions of the Model A and the one I'm thinking of was a "Victoria". Very rare and actually very nice looking.

I know that at least some of those did come with a padded top.

And I think they also made a coupe that was susposted to look like a convertable with side irons and all.

Now I'm going to have to go look!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,161
    The Victoria was a pretty car for the price and time. The car with fake landau bars was simply the "sport coupe" IIRC. When I was a kid an old friend of the family had one...looks like a convertible, but it isn't.
    Back in about 1970, I knew a guy with a '63 Impala SS. A nice car but nothing that special at the time. A guy wanted to trade him straight across for a NICE Model A Victoria but the guy refused.
    edited May 2011
    Well the A, like many early 30s cars, did not have a roof stamped from one piece. It was sectioned and then a rubber/vinyl or whatever the hell it was, covering went over the open center portion of the roof, which was re-inforced with wood.

Only after the Budd Company (makers of railroad cars) taught the auto industry how to do large stampings, did cars get "turret roofs"...maybe what...1936 or so?

Yep, they called them "turret tops". I didn't know they got them from the railroads though.
This discussion has been closed.