Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Like Mazda, though, Subaru dealers discount heavily and eventually offer rebates. VW charges near list for 4Motion, imagine Audi.

Plus, Audi charges extra for the moonroof, sport package w/ 16" alloys, not to mention Quattro. Those alone add almost $4 grand to the price, and that's before you chip the engine.

The A4 is also much more compact, almost Protoge/Impreza size really. Plus, it's a lame duck model - the new one is around the corner.

Again, Subaru and Mazda tend to equip their models in the $20k+ price range with much of what you want standard. That's the nice thing about a high-end car from either of these, vs. an entry level Audi.

-juice
  • number17number17 Posts: 69
    VW charges near list on EVERYTHING, partially due to their poor ordering process. They never seem to have enough demand of cars that people want, but too much stock of cars that nobody buys. 4Motion is kind of an extreme case, as it is a new feature on the Passat and there is a big demand for it right now... But it's true you never get as good a deal on a luxury vehicle like Audi than a Subaru.

I was waiting for an incentive pacakge from Subaru for quite a while, and I would have bought the RS if any kind of incentive was offered on it (like I said, I love the car, and came VERY close to buying it). But Subaru has not offered any "real" incentive package on the RS in the last 1.5 years. They offered 6.9% finance for up to 24 months on the base Impreza's and that is it. I got my 626 for 2.9% finance, 48 months. Mazda Canada is even offering 0% finance right now on ALL Mazda's up to 36 months!! That'd never come out from Subaru. Maybe it's a little different in the states.

Anyways, for A4 1.8T Quattro fully loaded, the MSRP is Cdn$39k. Legacy GT with 2.5L H4 engine has MSRP of Cdn$35k. A H6 option, if it becomes available is going to cost $3k at least, if not more, bumping its MSRP to within $1k of a fully loaded A4 1.8T Quattro!! It becomes an easy decision at that point.

I do agree the Audi has a cramped backseat, and is inhumane for bigger dogs to sit back there. But it depends if passenger carrying capacity is on your priorities .... for me, it's not ... my last car was a 2seater = ) The A4 is also more sporty than the Legacy ... maybe that is the reason why Subaru is limiting the H6 engine to the Outback - they don't see too many people going for a Legacy that costs as much as an A4.

But if Subaru can bring over the turbo engine, or put the H6 engine in the Impreza, make the interior less plasticky, keep its current driving dynamics, and offer more civilized features, and get rid of all those cut-corner moves (like removing the light from the trunk area, making the rear seat a non-folding seat instead of very useful 60/40, using metal sunroof instead of glass moonroof..... etc etc), and offer the car at the proximity of price of a Prelude +/- $1-2k, I'd be gladly trading in my 626 next year and getting one of those = )

True, Subaru's incentives are small for the Impreza, generally $500 or less. Mazda has huge rebates to help get a heck of a bargain.

Pricing here is different, at least transactions prices are. You can get a GT Limited (leather, roof, AWD, ABS, 16" alloys, even auto) for under $24k.

I want the turbo as a 3rd car. The 626 is a loyal old friend, it would be a waste to sell it for next to nothing.

-juice
  • johnlwjohnlw Posts: 28
    In post #298 I wrote about having my transmission replaced at 24,000 miles. The dealer called yesterday and said it will take at least a week as they are changing quite a few pc boards and other components as advised by Mazda. I have a free rental, so I am not too inconvenienced, the dealer has been up and up.

My question is should I unload this car now? I see where quite a few folks have had recurring transmission problems. I cannot believe Mazda would not fix this if it is bad design, but it seems possible.

Since they just overhauled the car, they should give me top dollar on the trade in, and they just got a bunch of Tributes in.....Is the 626 safe to keep? I need reliable transportation.
    Are they offering you a warranty on the new tranny?

Even if they don't, you should be able to milk it for a year at least. Then you could get the Tribute at a discount. When new, they'll demand near MSRP.

-juice
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    Yes, the wife I are pleased with the improvements
    also.Best 16K we ever spent.The 2.0 with a clutch
    has been such a fun time.We are looking forward to
    putting 6 digits worth of mileage on our sweetie!
    Thumbs Up
    Bryan
  • I am thinking of purchasing a rental fleet Mazda 626 LX from Hertz. For $12,795 I can get all the options that I need in a car plus a 4 yr./48,000 extended warranty to tack on to the existing factory warranty from when the car was new (what is it, 3/36,000 ?). The car I am considering has just over 25,000 and everything seems to work great and look great.

--It is a V4 auto. I have read that there have been some transmission problems with these; especially with the '94-'97 models. It should be covered under warranty should something happen, but is the transmission still considered a major problem in the '99's?

--How is the gas mileage?

--What should I look out for if I buy this car?

--Is this car a good buy or am I getting ripped off?
    I'm not sure I'd trust an ex-rental car with a history of tranny problems.

Just my 2 cents'.

-juice
  • markz2kmarkz2k Posts: 112
    I bought a '95 626 LX back in October '95, and it too was a former rental car. (Also came from Hertz) It was a 4cyl Auto, and had 10,600 miles when I got it. I just sold it in June with 39,000 miles on it. Never had any transmission trouble. Only problems I had were it started misfiring earlier this year, needed new plug wires. And, when I had the 30,000 mi service done around 3/99, the dealer said the rear struts were leaking. I complained to the dealer and Mazda saying the struts should last longer than 30K, and VERY reluctantly they covered it as a one-time goodwill repair. I'd consider another Mazda in the future because they did that, otherwise I wouldn't have.

I bought a new Accord V6 when I sold the 626, as I wanted more power than the 626 had. I was also concerned I'd have to replace a tranny someday if I kept it. I tried a '00 626 V6, wasn't that much better than my '95 in performance.
  • I had a 96 Mazda 626 and loved it. We started having problems with the trans and decided to trade it. We bought a Camry mostly for the reliable name. We are looking for a second car now and I would love to get another 626. How are the 99 and 00 with trans?
  • barich1barich1 Posts: 48
    If you get the 626 WITH THE V6 ENGINE, the transmission is a Mazda unit and is very reliable. The four cylinder engine's automatic is actually made by Ford and has a bad history; however, it was supposedly fixed for the '98 and up models. The manual transmissions in the I4 and V6 are both Mazda units that are reliable. The I4 and auto combined are rather sluggish anyway, so go with the V6 and never look back!
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    I'm lovin my 626...granted I reside in rural
    west central Il in a town of 11K with no
    traffic hassles. SheandI enjoy the personal
    selection of RPMs.I'll never look back.
    Thumbs Up
    Bryan
    .... IS SWEET!!! Best part is it costs thousands less from any competitor that offers V6+5spMT combo, domestic, european or japanese!! I'd never look back!

In any case, word of advice is stay away from the I4+AT combo.

• 4u24u2 Posts: 17
    I am glad that everyone is enjoying their 626. I am happy about this since this is the only new car that I am considering buying new.

Here's a question: How's insurance on a '00 Mazda 626 LX V6. I read in a book that there is a surcharge. Is this true? If so, why?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • mfnmannmfnmann Posts: 1
    I bought a 97 626LX I4-auto from Carmax in March w/19k miles for $12,000. It's been trouble from day 1. Under warranty I've the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter replaced by the local Mazda dealer. The engine light just went off again and
    I'm not sure the car is worth the effort. I have
    an extended warranty but the hassle doesn't seem
    worth it. I think I bought a lemon. However, I also don't think Carmax did much checking of the car, so I KNOW I won't go back to them again.
    Anyone have problems with this model?
    How about with Carmax?
    (this contrasts with my previous car, a 91 Camry
    5 speed with 151k that still had the original clutch and transmission when I totalled it)
    4u2: get actual quotes. My wife's 626 costs more to insure than my Subaru Forester, but not by any significant amount.

-juice
  • johnlwjohnlw Posts: 28
    We got our 98 4cyl auto back from the dealer last week. They replaced the transmission. I had posted on this when it happened. It runs great now, really feels smoother than before. The dealer was quite good about it, we got a free rental for more than the allotted four days.

My only concern is that I think they put a rebuilt rather than new transmission in the car. I don't know if this is kosher or not, heck--I don't know if it is worth worrying about.

The gas mileage has never been great with this car, about 20-21 mpg. I wonder if the new transmission will cause an improvement? It really is a nice car, we hope it stays strong from here on out.
    It's more than reasonable. I've checked out the insurance of the Accord 4cyc at the time the 626 costs ~ $200 less than Accord 4 per year. I am actually paying less on my brand new 00 626 LX-V6 than my 4 yr old del sol VTEC.

Accords get stolen a lot, that may be why.

-juice
    Insurance premium for Honda's are typically HIGH here in Toronto .... partially for the reason all Honda's are high on the theft list, and also the fact a lot of racer-boys like Honda's, and they get into accidents / get tickets .....