Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,199
    hmmm... i would have expected better. do you have a stick or auto. I don't know what others get with the 4-cyl, but I get 25mpg with the 6-cyl and automatic (also an hour commute each way with no traffic). If 28 is normal in the 4, I'm glad I didn't sacrifice the six-cyl in the name of mileage.

Also, what grade gas you using? I use regular and, supposedly, would get even better mileage with higher grade.

How many miles are on the car? My '99 definitely got better over time. That 25 number didn't even start happening until I got the odometer over 30K miles or so.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• rponsetirponseti Posts: 35
    I have a '99 626 LX 4cyl. And I'm getting right around 28mpg with about 90% of that highway driving. I have an hour commute each way and it's pretty smooth sailing, not much traffic. Was wondering if this was about the average. I do drive between 75-80mph. I know that doesn't help. Anyone getting better than that?
  • rponsetirponseti Posts: 35
    It's an auto with 58k miles. I also use regular gas. I guess that's about as good as I'm going to get. Just changed the spark plugs and airfilter and not much improvement. Thanks for responding.
  • jmnygaardjmnygaard Posts: 48
    I'm also surprised you don't get better mileage. My '87 (4 cyl, man.) with 136,000 miles gets 30mpg or better. This is mainly highway driving, speeds of 70-75mph, 2000 ft. to sea level and back nearly every day. Do look for the mileage to improve will age.
  • mazdafan1mazdafan1 Posts: 1
    Hi,

First let me mention to all that your forum has been extremely helpful, thanks! MY question: I have the opportunity to purchase a one owner 2000 Mazda 626 ES V6 automatic with 7200 miles (being sold since unexpected child on the way). It has moonroof, Bose system (with single CD disc slot, leather and the seats have SRS Airbag on them so I assume side airbags. Not sure yet if it has ABS or traction control (wife has to ask her husband who is traveling. For all intent and purposes the car is mint, no faults. The firm price is (non-negotiable) is $16,400 . I would appreciate your feedback on it's value and asking price and any suggestions one may have. Thanks in advance!
    Well, according to the Edmunds pricing, that looks to be about $18K for a certified pre-owned from a dealer. figure that would be about $17K with some haggling. Considering that, $16,400 seems a little high.

Best thing to do is go over to the Real-World Values board and ask Bill and Terry to give you the trade-in and private sale prices on the car. ABS and traction control will make a difference, but probably not too significant.

• jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    If the front seats have the SRS label on their sides, then the vehicle is also equipped with ABS and traction control. Those three options are all bundled together in a single package and cannot be had seperately.

The price seems fairly reasonable to me. Edmunds TMV pricing shows an average for a certain area. The question is... how much do you value the vehicle? A brand new 2001 model with the equivalent equipment can be had for about $22,500 with some serious negotiating. This vehicle only has 7,200 miles on it and you are saving over $6,000. Ask yourself... what else can you buy for $16,400? Certainly not a new car as nice as this. You can find a used car for this much, but how often do you run across one with mileage this low? I say go for it!
  • We have the chance to purchase a 2000 Mazda 626 ES with 6700 miles from a dealer(leased vehicle - one owner - a little old lady) for $16,450 out the door.) We've also been looking at 2001 LX's at Carmax for $16,600 (out the door) with about 10K miles. I like the leather seats in the ES, but my husband thinks we should buy the newer vehicle. Any feedback on the different models or which one you think is a better deal? Thanks for any input!
  • jmnygaardjmnygaard Posts: 48
    I would tell the Mazda dealer that you can get a 2001 Camry for ony $150 more than he's offering you the 626 for , and see if he doesn't come down on the price. I'm looking at an ad in the Sunday paper here for a "new" 2000 ES 6cyl with leather, moonroof, Bose CD changer, alloy wheels, all power for $16,977, so the used ES you're being offered seems a little bit over priced.

Also, you need to consider how long you plan to keep the car. If you want to sell it in a few years, the Camry, even with more miles, will probably be worth more.

I'm really love my 626, but if the Mazda dealer doesn't come down in price, the Camry might be the better deal.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, I wonder if they tell that "little old lady" story to customers about all their cars. I wouldn't buy their story or the car.

-juice
  • nzigmanzigma Posts: 13
    Hi... I'm looking purchasing either, approx 30,000 miles from a dealership. The cost...approx 10,400 for the LX and 11,000 for the ES. Any thoughts about these pricing levels, with both cars being lease returns. I've heard that certain older 626s have transmission problems and that there is a huge repair bill if the timing belt snaps in these cars. Can anyone profer some advise ? Thanks
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I love when they use those lines... what a joke. It reminds me of the ones they sell as manufacturer owned. Those probably see less maintenance and get more abuse than rental vehicles.
    Sam: V6 all the way. V6 has more power, is still fuel efficient, and the tranny is problem-free.

-juice
  • johnlwjohnlw Posts: 28
    I posted this on the 626 Troubles Board, and if you will indulge me, I would like to post it here as well to get information.

Our 1998 626, 4 cyl. auto is about to run out of warranty--end of August. It has been mainly driven by my wife.

It has about 36,000 miles. I have changed the oil every 5000, did the 30,000 mile service on schedule, and have had the transmission replaced under warranty. I believe the new tranny to be rebuilt.

I wonder whether to cut my losses now, and trade it in while I can get something for it. The car is nice, sunroof, alloy wheels, roomy, clean. We have garage kept it, polished the paint like new.

So why trade it in? BECAUSE OF THE STUPID FORD TRANSMISSION! (sorry) I think I can get $10,000 or so. I paid around $18,000, so I will lose money. I am afraid it will need more transmissions.

Has anyone had a positive experience with this car and transmision? What % fail? We thought it slipped again the other day, but no. We have had three Mazda's in the past twenty years, two have been good cars. Next time we'll get a Honda.
    Why?

Just don't get a Ford, get a real, pure Mazda. Any V6 model will be fine, or any manual trans.

Trade yours for a same-year V6, and you won't regret it. I bet it would cost next to nothing to do that.

-juice
  • bj02176bj02176 Posts: 115
    I agree this is a pretty good car with the 6, I have a 2001, it does everything as well as my 1999 vw passat 1.8, better, that VW engine sucks, severe hesitation when bolting across intersections Really needed 91 or 93, this 626 is pretty good on 89 and even good on 87. As I keep saying other then the creaking windows no problems. I just don't like sitting this low, however this is such a reliable car at 5000 miles who cares.
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    I agree this a pretty good car with the clutch.
    130 horses under the hood I'm enjoying 30mpgs.
    I,ve yet to empty a tank in one cruise at highway
    speed. We're zoom/zoomin' to the sunshine state
    so we'll get some real life numbers.
    ThumbsUp
    Bryan
    This last Friday I almost traded in my 1999 Protege ES for a lease on a 2001 626 ES-V6 5-spd! However, it seems I have another year to go on my loan to catch up with depreciation. That's too bad because what a car that 626 is! The V6/5-spd combo is amazingly quick and smooth!! Plus, with the dealership selling it for $19.5k after discounts and rebates, it was a heck of a deal!
    That is a deal. I think prices have actually gone down since we bought ours, despite inflation. That's pretty extraordinary.

-juice
  • cpanzacpanza Posts: 3
    I am in the final stages of purchasing a 2001 626 lx model with auto trans, luxuary pac, rear spoiler, cargo net. The sticker on the car is $21,080. At this point I am getting the car at $17,900 + tax/tags. Should I take it or hold out for a better deal?
    If that is brand-spankin' new, then that's not a bad deal. Is that the V6?

No, not a V-6 a 4 cyl. Is that something I should jump on?
    The 6 is a HUGE plus in the resale column (another $1,000 trade-in value on my '99). If that deal was on a V6, I'd be all over it. As it stands, I don't think its an incredible bargain. Its not a bad deal, but not worthy of "jumping on" methinks.

Sorry, I hope this advice isn't too late.

Well, it appears Mazda is giving the luxury package for free now. So, here's how it should break down for this car:

$20,445 MSRP + Destination
    -$2,500 Factory Rebate
    ------------------------------
    $17,945 MSRP Minus Factory Rebate

Invoice on this vehicle is $18,780. That means that the dealer is making a $1,620 profit.

$18,780 Invoice + Destination
    -$2,500 Factory Rebate
    $16,280 Invoice After Rebate

'$17,900 Selling Price
    -$16,280 Invoice After Rebate
    ..$1,620 Net Profit

That would be too much of a profit. A fair profit should be between $400-$700 over invoice.

****HOWEVER*****
    I have not confirmed that the luxury package is free. Both Mazda's and MSN's Carpoint's website show a $0 charge for the luxury package on the LX 4-cyl. If this is true, it may only be for certain regions (I'm in San Diego). If this discount does apply in your area, the sticker price on the vehicle probably shows a charge for the luxury package because it was printed before this discount was started. However, the manufacturer will apply an extra cash incentive for the dealer to cover the discount.

If you haven't made the purchase yet, I would give Mazda's customer service a call and check with them.

1-800-222-5500
    I did receive the Lux package free off the sticker so the 21,080 I believe excluded that but it included Auto Trans ($800), Cargo Net, Moon Roof Defl. They are adding a real spoiler.

My final deal was as follows:

$17,750 price of car

* I opted for the $1,750 rebate off the sticker rather than the 4.9% financing (ended up with 6.9% locally). I thought I had a good deal, I knew their profit was a little high because I could not account for $500 or so after the 4% profit I had alotted.

I guess I need someone to tell me, Good deal, Ok deal, Bad deal....I was afrid, maybe for nothing that the Lux package (for free) would dry up but I really do not know.

Thanks for the Info and advise.
    OK... When the dealer installs the rear spoiler, it is considerably more expensive than the factory-installed spoiler. Are they adding the moonroof deflector at the dealership as well? Those two probably account for the extra money. It looks like a pretty good deal.
  • jiansbondjiansbond Posts: 1
    I need some help ! I bought a 98 Mazda 626 Lx about 90 days ago. However I have found a big problem with it and I just want to know if all mazda 626 have this problems or is it just mine ?
    The problem is the transmision, the whole car shakes when its trying to shift from one gear to another(Although this doesn't not happen everytime but its does occur very frequently and especially when I have made a full stop and accelerates on a slight hill or trying to acceletae fast E.G emerging onto highways etc.

Can anyone help me ? anyone know what what the problem is ?

Thanks

Jian
    That's the Ford CD4E transmission for you. Hard to believe how consistently owners complain about those. Seriously.

I'd have the ATF flushed. They can hook it up to a machine that completely flushes out the old fluid. Should be $60 to $80 or so, and it might help.

If you're concerned about the long-term, I'd trade up for a V6 model, which uses a proper Mazda tranny.

-juice
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    There's no problem. The 626 4cyl automatic comes with the grenade feature. Simply pull the pin and the thing goes poof. You didn't pull the pin did you?

This board is riddled with opinions against the 4cyl automatic so if you bought the vehicle knowing such, shame on you. Otherwise, I feel very sorry for you and hope you have an extra $2k to dish out. Once you get the new trans, install an auxiliary trans oil cooler and this will prolong the life of the next trans.

:)