Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 626

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The concern on the auto trans only applies to the 4cyl engine. The '98 ES has a V-6 which I have never heard/seen a complaint about (other than it could have a little more power).

:)
  • bj02176bj02176 Posts: 115
    My 2001 lx just has the regular stereo, trans is made in Japan along with the engine, rest of the car made in Michigan. Trans seems to be excellent
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    5 speed? I think the auto is still the Ford CD4E unit. At least they've made improvements to it.

-juice
  • ger2138ger2138 Posts: 3
    I'am looking at a 99 4 cylinder 626 or a 99 Taurus. Both have about 30k miles on them and are gong for about $11,000. Any advice?
  • raylwardraylward Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a '97 626 V6 in good condition and 44K. Unfortunately, it doesn't have ABS and I live where it snows. Other than that potential problem, what other mechanical problems can I expect from this car and what is a realistic life of the car? Thanks
  • The Taurus will probably outrun the 626 in a straight line, and the back seat is perhaps less inhospitable - the person in the middle gets a truly raw deal - but I think the 626 is overall a better package, assuming you're near a competent Mazda service shop. (Judging by my mail, not everyone is.)
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    The 626 has taken the Contour's place as a Hertz rental staple. I see quite a few of them here in Chicago with rental company ID stickers in the windows.

I wonder how this will affect resale?
    Probably not good. There would be too many available you'd have to compete with.

-juice
  • I'm having problems with rear tire wear on my 1996 626.
    The tread is heavily worn on the outside rear left tire.
    The tire has been properly inflated so it must be alignment.
    Does the 626 have a rear alignment adjustment ?
    I believe it does. Miatas do.

-juice
  • tdreotdreo Posts: 17
    Hey,

I just read this on the Mazda web site:

"Autolamp On/Off Delay System (available on the 626 only)

The system can be programmed to shut off the headlights up to four minutes after the ignition is turned off, providing an illuminated walkway after you park the vehicle."

Does anyone know how to "program" the time?

Tony
    I have a 2001 lx, the lights are not programable on mine, they shut off after 5 seconds though.

Regarding the rear spoiler, passed on it, I think the dealer said it was 500, waste of money in my opinion, got those alloys though, real nice.
  • whackowhacko Posts: 96
    In regards to your post (#571), the answer is: NO...
  • tdreotdreo Posts: 17
    My 2001 LX lights stay on for about 45 to 50 seconds after "key off". After I read the Mazda web page and now after reading bj02176's post about his staying on for only 5 seconds I am wondering if maybe there is some way to "program" them.

Tony
  • freds5freds5 Posts: 5
    I have a 98 Mazda 626 with 60k miles, do the timing belts have to be changed at 60k miles? My previous experience has been with mid-80's Accords which only needed the timing belts replaced every 80k miles or so.
  • Mazda's recommendation is 60k miles, unless you live in California, in which case it magically increases to 105k. As a practical matter, they don't automatically give way when the odo hits 60,003. :)
    I don't want to post wrong, info I think I read in the manual that they go off after 5 seconds, never really timed it. Seems less then 30 seconds though. this is not something I dwell on. I'm more interested in using 87 or 89 octane gas, running 89 now, seems to be okay. I think the compression ratio is lower then in the 2000 model, this may explain it.
  • I'm looking for a reliable used car, I've been looking at Camrys and Accords. I looked at a Mazda for the first time today and was impressed. Not knowing anything about Mazda, I'm trying to do some research... any suggestions on sites. I found a '98 626 AS with leather, moon roof, bose sound system, etc. they are asking 13,9 is this reasonable? And are there any major problems with this model?
  • Is this a good price? See Edmund's front page and follow the signs to True Market Value. (For the ES-V6, thirteen nine doesn't sound too far out of line, but then I haven't seen the car.)

The '98 is the first year of the 5th-generation 626. For this version, the suspension was softened a bit, the engine electricals and valvetrain were reworked (no more distributor or hydraulic lifters), and a couple of interior features were dropped in the hopes that no one would notice. Mostly, they're pretty reliable; by general agreement, the weakest link in the 626 powertrain is the LA4A-EL (Ford CD4E) automatic, which was not used in the V6 cars in '98.

Mazda hasn't had the best of luck with rubber parts (though I've never had a coolant hose go), so check the weatherstripping and the CV boots.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Here is a link to the feature windowphobe6 mentions: Edmunds.com True Market Value.

Let us know what you find out. I'm sure if you have other questions, the good folks hanging out in this discussion will be happy to help you out.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards